Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Beat me to it. Lease. These are cars you lease new and buy CPO lease return.

That must be a wholesale bare bones trade in value, or the car had massive mileage or something though, you won't find it on a lot for that.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,557

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

speaking of depreciation, I just read the long term test recap on an MB E450 wagon. On thing they list is a depreciation chart. Eye popping 1st year. MSRP on their unit (loaded with options) was $89k. value after 1 year, $48K. So calculating $41,000 hit for 1 year. Ouch. Though I assume that was based on their high miles, but still, ouch. At least only supposed to drop to $41k after 2 years!

Are REAL Benz owners concerned with depreciation?

jmonroe
    No. Because they lease.
    I always thought of leasers as renters not owners.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,657
    stickguy said:

speaking of depreciation, I just read the long term test recap on an MB E450 wagon. On thing they list is a depreciation chart. Eye popping 1st year. MSRP on their unit (loaded with options) was $89k. value after 1 year, $48K. So calculating $41,000 hit for 1 year. Ouch. Though I assume that was based on their high miles, but still, ouch. At least only supposed to drop to $41k after 2 years!

That’s incredible. Why would anyone buy new when they could get it a year old for half price? Also what must be wrong with the quality for it to take a nosedive like that?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    No. Because they lease.

jmonroe
    Potato. Potatoe.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

stickguy said:

That’s incredible. Why would anyone buy new when they could get it a year old for half price? Also what must be wrong with the quality for it to take a nosedive like that?
    Maybe the badge shows signs of tarnishing at the one year mark.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    The cars are arguably overpriced when new, with a relatively set price. Used car prices are more of a free market, with the market deciding rather than the maker.

Not sure I would want to "own" a steadily depreciating asset. Own it when you get it at a realistic price. If you buy new, you're going to want to keep it for a decade to make the numbers work, not good for people who get bored.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    No. Because they lease.

jmonroe
    Potato. Potatoe.
    Not really. When you own a car you have a title at the end of the agreed to term. When you lease a car you have a fist full of cancelled checks and no car in the garage unless you start the process again. I don't get bored quickly so buying suits me. Although I know if it weren't for leasing most people wouldn't have a car in their garage and dealers would be pretty much extinct.

jmonroe
    Without leasers, there are no nice late model used cars for bargain hunters :)

I told myself my last car was going to be the keeper, but I got a little bored and wowed by new tech. Now I tell myself the current car will be the keeper. Maybe this time?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    The proper term is possessors -- they don't own and mostly don't drive (much), but take pleasure in possessing the thing. Go figure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    fintail said:

Without leasers, there are no nice late model used cars for bargain hunters :)

I told myself my last car was going to be the keeper, but I got a little bored and wowed by new tech. Now I tell myself the current car will be the keeper. Maybe this time?

And then you have the odd ball like Mrs. j's 2018 Subie with 7200 miles on it that we got last April. The previous owner must have gotten bored with it and traded it in for a Porche. The Car Fax showed a Porche dealer had it before he sold it to a used car dealer friend of his who in turn sold it to us. I agree most one year old cream puffs don't take this route to the second owner but it happens just not very often. In the past when I bought used cars most were 3 years old and bought from a private party but that was back in the 70's and 80's. The car biz has changed a lot since then.

jmonroe
    edited April 2020
    I lease cars at a payment and total running cost that is quite literally impossible to achieve buying, even if I bought one car and kept it 10 years. Maybe if I bought a corolla I could come close. Plus, maintenance is usually included, the car is under warranty, and it satisfies my constant desire to try different cars.

Fixed running costs, cheaper than owning, scratches my CCBA itch. Check, check, check.

Not for everyone, but certainly has eliminated my desire to own anything except my ZHP, which isn’t a DD
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    Well that unit did have 40,000 miles in it. But still impressive.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

And leasing is just alternate way to finance. Buy new, put nothing down on a long loan with cheap payment, and after 3 years, probably have no equity either. On the lease, you have a fixed BIN price from the beginning.

I just look at it as making a big down payment, and financing for 3 years. With the DP deferred until the end! And if you decide not to make the DP, you can just “sell” it for what you have in it, and walk away.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    andres3 said:

corvette said:

There is a sizable gap in the history of that car in the CarFax. Over a year since an update and 17k miles ago.

I bet it has been smacked.

Some areas must update more slowly than others - my VW had a bad CarFax before the body shop was finished working on it.
    Do you have more carfax checks for free?
    Sadly, I do not.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425

I lease cars at a payment and total running cost that is quite literally impossible to achieve buying, even if I bought one car and kept it 10 years. Maybe if I bought a corolla I could come close. Plus, maintenance is usually included, the car is under warranty, and it satisfies my constant desire to try different cars.

Fixed running costs, cheaper than owning, scratches my CCBA itch. Check, check, check.

Not for everyone, but certainly has eliminated my desire to own anything except my ZHP, which isn’t a DD

+1

I own 2 of our vehicles and lease 1. My wife and I each do a lot of driving (close to or over 20K miles per year). The leasing works for us because it fixes our depreciation costs. I took out a 2 year/15K mile per year lease on my truck. I'm going to most likely hit 15,000 miles soon (with 5 months to go). Yes I'm planning on getting hit with an over mileage charge at the end of the lease.

Some of the lease deals out there are sick. The deals are ONLY good if you like the car. Remember, you still have to live with it & drive it for 2 - 3 years. Besides my Tacoma & @corvette's Tundra, @qbrozen got a phenomenal deal on his wife's X2, @tjc78 is happy as a clam with his Volvo S60 just to name a few deals.

Our Pilot is a vehicle that has traditionally held it's value well. At the time we bought, the lease program wasn't all that great (it is MUCH better now).

I'm sure at some point residuals will take a big hit and I'll have to re-evaluate my position. I'm also very interested in owning a Tesla at some point as they seem to hold their value better than comparable vehicles in their class.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

In concept, but there are people that only shop the lease price on paper. I guess that’s all that really matters to them, and they expect to just learn to live (tolerate?) the car while they have it!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I had actually never driven a Tundra prior to taking delivery of the one I leased, but have driven other full size trucks and SUVs, and was able to glean from reading reviews that the Tundra wouldn’t be all that different.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    stickguy said:

In concept, but there are people that only shop the lease price on paper. I guess that’s all that really matters to them, and they expect to just learn to live (tolerate?) the car while they have it!

And, since part of my responsibilities as a moderator are to help folks with their leasing questions, I can cite many examples of folks who shop the deal, and not the car, and end up not liking what they've chosen.

Had that happen with a guy who leased a Jaguar F-Type. Shopped for quite a while before scoring an absolutely killer lease deal.

He came back onto the forums a month or so later, complaining that his car wasn't fast enough.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

And, since part of my responsibilities as a moderator are to help folks with their leasing questions, I can cite many examples of folks who shop the deal, and not the car, and end up not liking what they've chosen.

Had that happen with a guy who leased a Jaguar F-Type. Shopped for quite a while before scoring an absolutely killer lease deal.

He came back onto the forums a month or so later, complaining that his car wasn't fast enough.
    I never pegged @roadburner as the Jaguar type (pun intended) ;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    stickguy said:

I did that with the 2017 Elantra. It was the cheapest just first payment DAS in the segment so that’s what I got. It wasn’t driven enough to warrant any additional expense.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

mjfloyd1 said:

Let me get this straight.

So if you buy or lease a vehicle, you should make sure that you actually like it BEFORE you lease or buy it?

In theory.
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I did that with the 2017 Elantra. It was the cheapest just first payment DAS in the segment so that’s what I got. It wasn’t driven enough to warrant any additional expense.
    I did that with the 2013 Elantra GT I leased. I wanted a hatchback, test drove all the choices in my price range, and the E-GT was the car that had the most features, fit me the best, and had the lowest lease payment.

When I traded in the E-GT for the Jetta two months early, the VW dealer cut me a really good deal, given that the Hyundai was over miles, had two payments left, and had a damaged bumper. I could have gotten another Hyundai, or a Toyota, or a Honda, but I liked the VW the best, and the good lease deal was icing on the cake.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    I almost never lease and instead buy CPO cars. Depreciation is my very good friend. For example, I got my wife's X1 for less than a new base Escape.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    Michaell said:

When I traded in the E-GT for the Jetta two months early, the VW dealer cut me a really good deal, given that the Hyundai was over miles, had two payments left, and had a damaged bumper. I could have gotten another Hyundai, or a Toyota, or a Honda, but I liked the VW the best, and the good lease deal was icing on the cake.

I must have missed this at the time - how did you "trade in" a leased car of another make and get damage/mileage charges covered to boot?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    I go back and forth (obviously). I've become addicted to cheap leasing, but some cars require I purchase them, like my Charger. Basically whatever the cheapest ownership route is.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

ab348 said:

Michaell said:

I must have missed this at the time - how did you "trade in" a leased car of another make and get damage/mileage charges covered to boot?
    The dealer and I split the difference - between the mileage, the remaining payments and the damage, we figured about $2000 total. We added $1000 to the cap cost on the Jetta, and they ate the remaining $1000 on their trade in value.

Waiting two extra months really wasn't going to save me that much money - maybe $10-12/month. The Jetta had some good lease programs and incentives at the time, so the net payment on it was only a few dollars a month higher.

I didn't "terminate" the lease, I traded it in. The dealer closed out the lease, and I suspect they may have lost money on the transaction, based on what the car was worth when they priced it for resale. But, not my problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    Leasing the Tacoma made a lot of fiscal and flexibility sense for us but was a gamble for other reasons. I've driven them but the wife never did however she was onboard as long as it wasn't a manual so she could drive it in a pinch if needed. As it turns out she likes driving it more than just in a pinch so it's worked out well for us.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    YOLO. Hearses don't have luggage racks, and with the widening socio-economic chasm, it makes it easier for people to live a little.

The proper term is possessors -- they don't own and mostly don't drive (much), but take pleasure in possessing the thing. Go figure.

Did it depreciate much at all? Around these parts, a year old Subie will probably have an asking price $1000 less than a new one.

Cars age a lot better than during the malaise era, too. To paraphrase a saying, a 3 year old car today is better than a new car x years ago.
    jmonroe1 said:

And then you have the odd ball like Mrs. j's 2018 Subie with 7200 miles on it that we got last April. The previous owner must have gotten bored with it and traded it in for a Porche. The Car Fax showed a Porche dealer had it before he sold it to a used car dealer friend of his who in turn sold it to us. I agree most one year old cream puffs don't take this route to the second owner but it happens just not very often. In the past when I bought used cars most were 3 years old and bought from a private party but that was back in the 70's and 80's. The car biz has changed a lot since then.

jmonroe

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Slow and cheap do tend to correlate. As does fast and expensive.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Slow and cheap do tend to correlate. As does fast and expensive.
    I don't remember which model he originally leased, but I'm not sure I would classify any F-Type as slow.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Well bought, the least common factory built R129 in maybe the best color combo.
    Not bought. Reserve not met.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

D'oh. IMO 25K or so is probably all the money for that 300SL right now.
    I’ve found that on Carvana, when I looked for a car to trade for when selling them mine. Very few respectable deals. One Volvo that was a Great deal last fall but already reserved when I saw it pop up.

fintail said:

D'oh. IMO 25K or so is probably all the money for that 300SL right now.

Agreed. Nice car though - rare spec, right color, great condition from a respected shop. Same seller has an early Euro R107 4 speed in blue as well.

edited April 2020
    Rough time to try for top dollar on such a car, as the entire market will be stifled a bit. I wonder if they either have a lot into it, or can afford to wait. Maybe if things perk up a bit towards summer they can do better,

107s are undervalued in NA, they fetch a lot more in Europe. Those early two tone cars are interesting, the one that seller has listed is quite pretty, and notice the weak bids. The market likes those a bit less than that particular spec of R129, it seems only the best 560SLs bring big money - I like the early cars, no finicky emissions, small bumpers, the pure design.
    tifighter said:

Agreed. Nice car though - rare spec, right color, great condition from a respected shop. Same seller has an early Euro R107 4 speed in blue as well.

You might find this late two-tone 560 he has interesting-
    https://mercedesheritage.com/free-classifieds-only-classic-mercedes/show-ad?id=1348

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    When I got a quote from Carvana for my F150 Limited model, it seemed low.
    High end trucks just don't seem to be their market.
    They do have 1 Platinum for sale, but I'm guessing someone just wanted out of it.
    All the others are XL or XLT models.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    stickguy said:

I’ve found that on Carvana, when I looked for a car to trade for when selling them mine. Very few respectable deals. One Volvo that was a Great deal last fall but already reserved when I saw it pop up.

I swear it seems like, right now, they have jacked up their prices. Not sure what their game is. They had several decent deals I spotted a while back, now its all just ridiculous. Like a 95k-mile Jeep Patriot for $11k. Whaaaa?!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Fun stuff, browsed his listings - he has good taste for sure. He might not be too far ahead of the market for that particular SL. It has to be a special order in those colors, never seen that combo before. In my experience, 99% of two tone cars are before 1977 or so. It might take some time to sell, but I bet the buyer is out there somewhere, maybe not insanely far off his asking price.

Back around 2003 or so when I was had a W126 as a DD, I found a late (89 I think) 560SL in the same color combo as my car, DB355 Diamond Blue on grey. Nice 70K mile car, probably could have got it for no more than 14K. But with one hobby car as it is, a third mouth to feed is hard to justify.

Things from his site I like:

This is pretty awesome, knock em out at Radwood

I always liked this two tone

He even has a fintail, a lot of these were sold in SA

One of these replaced my W126, I had the same two tone interior

Another subtle but perfect color combo

tifighter said:

You might find this late two-tone 560 he has interesting-
    https://mercedesheritage.com/free-classifieds-only-classic-mercedes/show-ad?id=1348

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    fintail said:

Rough time to try for top dollar on such a car, as the entire market will be stifled a bit. I wonder if they either have a lot into it, or can afford to wait.

Well, they clearly can afford to wait! :) Maybe they were just testing to see if the market really was depressed. They thought maybe BaT would be the exception, since they would possibly have a larger "captive" audience.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    tifighter said:
    Can’t pass emissions tests? Isn’t there some exception for antiques?

edited April 2020
    fintail said:

Did it depreciate much at all? Around these parts, a year old Subie will probably have an asking price $1000 less than a new one.

Cars age a lot better than during the malaise era, too. To paraphrase a saying, a 3 year old car today is better than a new car x years ago.

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

I was all set to drive to Holidaysburg PA(@venture's hood) to get a new 2019 Legacy Limited with the 3.6R engine in burgundy over beige which was the ONLY color combo AND engine that I would consider. MSRP was a little over $35,400 but they would sell it for $33,500. I was about to make the maybe 120 mile one way trip when Son #1 found an IDENTICAL 2018 at a very reputable used car dealer about 6 miles from me for $27,200 with 7,200 miles on it. I thought that was a big enough savings so I bought it. But I know what you mean about Subie's holding their value. The very large Subie new car dealership about 3 miles from me had a couple 2017 Legacy Limited's with the 3.6R engine with around 15K miles for just under 30 grand. Those, even if they were the right color combo, wouldn't have been a good deal as far as I was concerned.

jmonroe