Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    that is hideous.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    Don;t get worked up about that BMW grille, you can cover a bunch of it with a front plate. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046

qbrozen said:

Kind of tempted by this. It is obviously not the fastest SUV, but it is cheap (overpriced as is, believe it or not). There is another ML AMG I found and actually sent to the wife. But then I think to myself "would I even want to drive the Charger when my SUV goes 0-60 in 4.5?" So maybe I should get a slower, cheaper R500. LOL.

Isn’t that a shared platform with the OG Pacifica?
    Yup.. My son called them the Ugly-Class. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    Eh. Still looks like a bmw to me. Not the concept car, but what lurks in the shadow Of the first pic. I haven’t considered their cars terribly attractive for a long time now anyway.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652

My Moms 2015.5 V60 CC is sitting at the Volvo dealer. Was smoking and lost 2.5 quarts of oil in less than 1000 miles.

Car has a blown piston seal/ring. At 42k miles. Some quick googling shows this is a known issue on these cars. It is covered by warranty but would otherwise be north of $5000.

Can anyone more mechanically inclined tell me what the odds are of damage to the cylinder walls as a result?

Not mechanically inclined but cylinder wall scoring would be my main concern.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited May 2020
    tifighter said:

The main question for today's random craigslist posting is, what do you wear when you drive it?

A mullet?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

Speaking of TTAC's news coverage, are they really going with that grille for the new 4-series? Doesn't look like a BMW at all.

Yuck!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390
    Volvo dealer is going to borescope the cylinders and document the results for warranty purposes. We shall see.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Volvo dealer is going to borescope the cylinders and document the results for warranty purposes. We shall see.

Why scope? They already know it is a teardown or replacement for the ring alone.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Why scope? They already know it is a teardown or replacement for the ring alone.
    No clue. Absolutely no clue. Now that you call that out, it makes no sense.
    Haircut, today! No more mullet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Wonder if they evaluate to see if they can just do a ring job, or need to replace the engine so won’t bother with full tear down?

I have a punch-related non-punch.

US Bank offered to extend the lease on the Tacoma for six months at the same payment. Just couldn’t pass it up. $265/mo. for $37K MSRP vehicle.

Also, by extending the lease, they waive the $395 disposition fee at lease end. In effect, 4.5 payments for 6 more months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    kyfdx said:

US Bank offered to extend the lease on the Tacoma for six months at the same payment. Just couldn’t pass it up. $265/mo. for $37K MSRP vehicle.

Also, by extending the lease, they waive the $395 disposition fee at lease end. In effect, 4.5 payments for 6 more months.

I'll bet your son is happy about that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Screaming deal. That’s basically a zero DAS 6 month lease, no exit fees, for $199/month. I would take that!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265

qbrozen said:

I’m guessing if there is additional damage, Volvo may send them a crate engine instead of having the dealer repair.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

I’m guessing if there is additional damage, Volvo may send them a crate engine instead of having the dealer repair.
    Right. There has to be a point where it is cheaper for Volvo to send a fully built replacement engine. Although that might take a while. Mom has a loaner? This car is leased or purchased?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

That is a complete no-brainer, @kyfdx.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

Haircut, today! No more mullet.

I hear the mullet is making a comeback. ;)

Good deal on the Taco extension!!!!!!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    That was a two year lease originally on the Taco? If so, yeah no brainer.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited May 2020
    nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Right. There has to be a point where it is cheaper for Volvo to send a fully built replacement engine. Although that might take a while. Mom has a loaner? This car is leased or purchased?
    It is often the way these days. A rebuild is more expensive from their POV. But I don't understand the further assessment. A rebuild is a rebuild is a rebuild. It shouldn't matter what the cylinder looks like. Unless the crossing point is "if we have to send you a block, we'll just send you a new engine instead." So someone figured out a short block plus rebuild time exceeds a new long block. I guess then it makes sense.

Getting more info from sales folks should not be so hard all the damned time. I reached out about this turbo because the VIN and carfax don't work. It took 10 mins on the webchat plus 5 emails back and forth to find out "This vehicle was imported from Europe and the VIN listed is correct, however we do not have a Carfax. This vehicle also can not be financed die to this and will need to be a cash purchase."

No red flags there! And you only have to go to Indy to get it.

Ad says 'Clean Carfax'. ok.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    The new TLX was revealed today. The interior takes a lot of cues from the RDX and the exterior reminds me of an ILX. As expected the 4 cylinder is the same one found in the Accord and the Type-S will get the turbo'd V6 with, I'm guessing, a little bit north of 400HP.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32687740/2021-acura-tlx-sports-sedan-photos-info/
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    looks nice. more modern. really is just a sedan version of my RDX though. same engine and dash.

too bad I did not want it longer, lower or wider!

hope they do well with it. Definitely won't be selling one to me though.

We'll see if C&D likes it better than the current one.

Ad says 'Clean Carfax'. ok.

They LOVE saying that, no matter what. There is one in FL that's been for sale for quite some time. Has an accident in the history, yet they say "clean carfax." I have reached out to them 3 times and gotten no response.

qbrozen said:

If the cylinder wall is messed up they might just warranty a new engine and save the tear down cost. Just a guess.

kyfdx said:

Their lots must be overflowing.

edited May 2020
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

It is often the way these days. A rebuild is more expensive from their POV. But I don't understand the further assessment. A rebuild is a rebuild is a rebuild. It shouldn't matter what the cylinder looks like. Unless the crossing point is "if we have to send you a block, we'll just send you a new engine instead." So someone figured out a short block plus rebuild time exceeds a new long block. I guess then it makes sense.
    They probably send the damaged engine back to the factory, rebuild it there and then ship it out to the next customer who has bad rings.

most likely last thing they need is more used cars

qbrozen said:

Getting more info from sales folks should not be so hard all the damned time. I reached out about this turbo because the VIN and carfax don't work. It took 10 mins on the webchat plus 5 emails back and forth to find out "This vehicle was imported from Europe and the VIN listed is correct, however we do not have a Carfax. This vehicle also can not be financed die to this and will need to be a cash purchase."

That answer doesn’t make sense. Why should being imported from Europe make a difference? Was it imported used? When? I’d need to know a lot more of the back story.

Run away from it.

seems shady to import something that was readily sold here. But maybe it was legit. Not special enough to ignore that many red flags.

tjc78 said:

That was a two year lease originally on the Taco? If so, yeah no brainer.

36/12 originally

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

still a no brainer move. Unless you are afraid to own a Taco for 6 months with only the powertrain warranty!

nope. plenty of other choices.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Got a York 3.5 ton, 17 seer last July. Yesterday around noon, it cut out. Seems the pipe letting the condensation water go outside wasn't at the right angle, so the water flowed back into the unit. It stopped working. Repair place sent a guy out this morning and he said the units are made that way so as not to damage them, didn't quite understand it all. Within maybe 5 minutes, if that, unit was back on and blowing cold air. Guess it was a freak occurrence but we're nice and comfortable again. Also, got the power bill today and with using just a few more kwh, bill went from $106 last month the $75 this month. Kinda odd but we do keep the temp at 79 as the other half is too cold at anything under that.
    Master toilet was screwing up again, running and flushing with no one touching the handle, so repair guy came 10 days ago. Tuesday am, water in bowl is really low and it's running again. Other half called and another tech came this afternoon and said whatever the last guy did, came undone and all is fixed again. He mentioned that it's a good toilet even though I said it's almost 33 year old. Again he said it's a good unit and don't replace it until it dies. So all is good in the house again.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Backed the Golf out before the a/c repair guy came and saw oil on the floor, more than normal. Looked and had the last oil change on 2/0/20 so called Tires Plus to see about coming over to see what's up. Going in at 8 am tomorrow to see what's up. Seems like my high school friend finally retired so might have to find a new mechanic. Was going to go over to the VW store but figured since T P touched it last, might as well let them see what's up. Just hoping it's nothing major as it's hardly been used since mid March and not even 300 miles driven since the oil change. Wonder if it's a valve cover gasket or something like that. When I cleaned up the garage floor, felt like oil though and had that same brownish color.
    Seriously, was so hoping that nothing else would go wrong for awhile with it. Nothing I really want right now, even though almost everyone has 0% financing and first payments due like 3 months out. Very tempting to be honest!! Not the happiest person right now to be honest! Even though I really thought I'd get a 2020 something, figured the Golf would behave itself awhile longer!! Might as well see what's out there now!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    kyfdx said:

But it's only a $37K MSRP vehicle when it's new. At 12 month it's a year old used car. At 36 months, it's a 3 year old used car. At some point, paying the same monthly fee you paid when it was brand new won't make sense anymore. Only you can decide that. Imagine if they kept offering extension forever?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    It's a lease. if it is working like new, really doesn't make a difference.

Backed the Golf out before the a/c repair guy came and saw oil on the floor, more than normal. Looked and had the last oil change on 2/0/20 so called Tires Plus to see about coming over to see what's up. Going in at 8 am tomorrow to see what's up. Seems like my high school friend finally retired so might have to find a new mechanic. Was going to go over to the VW store but figured since T P touched it last, might as well let them see what's up. Just hoping it's nothing major as it's hardly been used since mid March and not even 300 miles driven since the oil change. Wonder if it's a valve cover gasket or something like that. When I cleaned up the garage floor, felt like oil though and had that same brownish color.
    Seriously, was so hoping that nothing else would go wrong for awhile with it. Nothing I really want right now, even though almost everyone has 0% financing and first payments due like 3 months out. Very tempting to be honest!! Not the happiest person right now to be honest! Even though I really thought I'd get a 2020 something, figured the Golf would behave itself awhile longer!! Might as well see what's out there now!!

unlikely to be a valve cover gasket. More likely is either they did not get the drain plug in right or forgot the gasket. Sometimes they slop some when refilling and it eventually works it's way down. But should be easy to figure out by putting it on the lift, and certainly should take it back to the place that did the work.

So I was wrong. My mom’s V60 is a 2016 T5 which is the 5 cylinder. I’ve not read anything about these engines having this kind of trouble.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2020
    Acura's full video on the new TLX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52HgsMW0BbM
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

So I was wrong. My mom’s V60 is a 2016 T5 which is the 5 cylinder. I’ve not read anything about these engines having this kind of trouble.

? You sure? I thought they phased that out mid 2015 model year (hence all the listings for 2015.5 models).

According to several VIN decoders, including carvana, it is a 2016 V60CC T5 Premiere with B5254T12 engine, which is a 2.5 5 cylinder Turbo. I thought the same as you.
    I know the first year or so only FWD got the 4 banger. The AWD kept the 5 cylinder, and I think different models switched over at different times.

Huh. Interesting. And VERY surprised this happened with the 2.5, but I guess occasional things still happen.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    2015.5 thing mainly had to do with the Sensus and driver safety upgrades, as I recall. Mine was a 2015.5

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd