Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    ab348 said:

Fearless prediction: the new TLX will land with a resounding thump in the marketplace once all the Honda fanboy auto journos lavish praise on it and the true-believer early adopters grab the first ones at dealerships. Higher price, bigger but less room, performance that is not much different from its competitors, and likely the usual muddled to non-existent Acura marketing.

If our local group here is any indication you might be right. A few months ago we had four people here driving the current TLX, but so far it doesn't look like any of us plan to get the new one. I think the performance, handling, and luxury will be really nice, but it might be that the size/price increase is going to be a deal breaker.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    But my next dream car, a Tesla, has some significant quality issues according to this recent video by a Tesla fan and Model Y owner. I would not have that much patience with a c. 50k car with these kinds of issues. My c. 30k Acura TLX was close to perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3M6C0P9h0
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

Wonder how wide the battery is. Looks to me there is a mount for the spare to slide over the battery.

I like the car especially in that color.

Not a fan of the Superman edition above but the white and red are really nice. Volvo replacement? Hmm

that is a weird place for the battery. But maybe a spare is possible, because the bracket has a hole that looks like the bolt that holds the tire could go there. I am still on my "no spare, no sale" crusade.

it is a nice looking car, but it would be weird to have what is essentially a sedan version of our RDX. I know it is supposed to be an entirely different (and new) platform, with different front suspension and probably driving dynamics, but the interior is pretty much identical and the engine will sound the same, since it is the same!

one thing my car does not have is the option to have the digital speedometer. Neither does the RDX I don't think. but I don't use that anyway (never did in the Hyundais, but my daughter also switched it over any time she drove it)
    Doesn’t that help in weight distribution? My Mustang is 53/47 and I always wondered why the didn’t put the battery back there since it didn’t come with a spare.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    benjaminh said:

ab348 said:

Fearless prediction: the new TLX will land with a resounding thump in the marketplace once all the Honda fanboy auto journos lavish praise on it and the true-believer early adopters grab the first ones at dealerships. Higher price, bigger but less room, performance that is not much different from its competitors, and likely the usual muddled to non-existent Acura marketing.

If our local group here is any indication you might be right. A few months ago we had four people here driving the current TLX, but so far it doesn't look like any of us plan to get the new one. I think the performance, handling, and luxury will be really nice, but it might be that the size/price increase is going to be a deal breaker.
    well, in my case, if I don't get the new one it would not be the car's fault. I just would not want something of that size/price point. Plus, I hate to get the same thing 2 times in a row! Might be enough different though in this case.

but down the line, who knows? if I for some reason in the future I decide I want another larger sized entry/mid level sports/luxury sedan, I definitely would take a look at the TLX.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

We'd make out on the Tacoma but we've become accustomed to the utility and there isn't anything comparable payment wise there either. Not there would be a pressing need to replace it but like someone said...what's the fun in that?

Could you sell it, pocket the $$$$ and lease another Tacoma for about the same price?
    I haven't really looked but I doubt it unless we stepped down to an SR5. Even then I'm not sure I would be able to pull off an equivalent deal.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Yeah, the battery is in the back of the new TLX to help weight distribution. But how much does a regular car battery weigh? Probably not going to be a significant change imho, and I'd rather have the added trunk space.
  • Options

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

Wonder how wide the battery is. Looks to me there is a mount for the spare to slide over the battery.

I like the car especially in that color.

Not a fan of the Superman edition above but the white and red are really nice. Volvo replacement? Hmm

that is a weird place for the battery. But maybe a spare is possible, because the bracket has a hole that looks like the bolt that holds the tire could go there. I am still on my "no spare, no sale" crusade.

it is a nice looking car, but it would be weird to have what is essentially a sedan version of our RDX. I know it is supposed to be an entirely different (and new) platform, with different front suspension and probably driving dynamics, but the interior is pretty much identical and the engine will sound the same, since it is the same!

one thing my car does not have is the option to have the digital speedometer. Neither does the RDX I don't think. but I don't use that anyway (never did in the Hyundais, but my daughter also switched it over any time she drove it)
    Doesn’t that help in weight distribution? My Mustang is 53/47 and I always wondered why the didn’t put the battery back there since it didn’t come with a spare.
    weight distribution is a big reason, along with freeing up space in the engine bay. Plus, it is actually better for the battery since it is not subject to all the engine heat. not sure though if there is any downside to having longer cable runs to get to the up front components, but if they put them in the back, I doubt it.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

We'd make out on the Tacoma but we've become accustomed to the utility and there isn't anything comparable payment wise there either. Not there would be a pressing need to replace it but like someone said...what's the fun in that?

Could you sell it, pocket the $$$$ and lease another Tacoma for about the same price?
    I haven't really looked but I doubt it unless we stepped down to an SR5. Even then I'm not sure I would be able to pull off an equivalent deal.
    with fees, etc. hard to see it really being worth it if you just need to replace the lease with a comparable one. If I was just going out to get another similar car (with comparable payment) I would not bother trying to sell the current one.

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Yeah, the battery is in the back of the new TLX to help weight distribution. But how much does a regular car battery weigh? Probably not going to be a significant change imho, and I'd rather have the added trunk space.

30 pounds maybe? probably not a huge difference in the real world (just like a moonroof makes no difference to handling in normal driving). They might have needed the space in the engine bay though. personally, I would rather have the battery up front where it normally is, and a spare tire in that well!

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Sounds like JR's F-250 is throwing a code for the DPF. I would think that would be covered under Ford's emissions warranty since it's so new. $55k plus tax and warranty... I bet the monthly nut on that is more than my house payment!
  • Options
    au1994 said:

Punch! 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser. 135k miles, IE nothing for a Cruiser. Great maintenance history from Toyota. Now to get it from MA to GA.

congrats. replacing something or just to have as a spare for work duty?

• Options
    corvette said:

Sounds like JR's F-250 is throwing a code for the DPF. I would think that would be covered under Ford's emissions warranty since it's so new. $55k plus tax and warranty... I bet the monthly nut on that is more than my house payment!

watched that episode last night. Crazy amount of stuff on that truck. But that much for something with a CEL on, and that made horrible noises when they started it? Brave. Very cool though. At least, unlikely most buyers, he actually intends to use the capabilities all the time.

the filter is going to be under warranty for sure, either Carmax or Ford.

not sure if he mentioned though how many miles on that beast.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @pensfan83 - how do you find your current lease buyout on the TFS website?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,173
    edited August 2020
    Definitely something there:

Sadly, the stretched and tortured (aggressive! edgy!) horizontal lights look is a thing among the order of copycat sycophant drone stylists at the moment, even the facelift E-class is doing it.

The back of the TLX looks like a Corolla to me.

• Options
    stickguy said:

corvette said:

watched that episode last night. Crazy amount of stuff on that truck. But that much for something with a CEL on, and that made horrible noises when they started it? Brave. Very cool though. At least, unlikely most buyers, he actually intends to use the capabilities all the time.

the filter is going to be under warranty for sure, either Carmax or Ford.

not sure if he mentioned though how many miles on that beast.
    I think I saw the odometer in one of the shots, but can’t remember what it said.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    The ATS has the battery in the trunk though oddly enough on the left rear corner. I would have thought it made more sense to put it in the right rear but what do I know. There is really no space under the hood for a battery.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    edited August 2020
    My Genesis had it in the trunk too. IIRC it was next to the spare tire. Big expensive battery. They replaced it at one point during the random shut off phase the car was having.

The Enclave is under one of the seats, can’t remember which one.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,173
    Battery in trunk = maybe every 90s MB.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I should probably look, as I'm not sure where my battery is. LOL!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    The battery was under the rear passenger seat in my 01 Aurora.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    It is in the right rear of my Charger, even though there is obviously plenty of room under the hood. But anything to help weight distribution is a good thing in my book.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Getting my windshield repaired at safelite

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    benjaminh said:

But my next dream car, a Tesla, has some significant quality issues according to this recent video by a Tesla fan and Model Y owner. I would not have that much patience with a c. 50k car with these kinds of issues. My c. 30k Acura TLX was close to perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3M6C0P9h0

I believe the Tesla issues have more to do with Musk pushing production beyond the point where QC is a focus. Paint, fit and finish, are things that can be corrected relatively easily. Bad engineering? Not so much!

Agree about Acura products....well put together and carefully finished. Actually, I can say the same for my Kia, and that's high praise coming from an Acura lover.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    benjaminh said:

Weird detail of the new TLX is that they've put the battery in the trunk. On the current generation of TLX that storage area can be fit with a spare, like stickguy did, but for the new one I guess not possible. Digital as well as analog speedometer.

That's hugely important in a premium vehicle to put the battery in the back. Helps with weight balance, removes ugly weight from the front, and puts it where you want it (rear right side to balance single driver), and these days, those batteries weigh upwards of 50 pounds. Lastly, the battery doesn't have to be exposed to high engine heat, and makes them last much longer.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ab348 said:

The ATS has the battery in the trunk though oddly enough on the left rear corner. I would have thought it made more sense to put it in the right rear but what do I know. There is really no space under the hood for a battery.

Audi puts them on the right rear, at least on the S4 and TT, and in the TT, all the way to the right and rear; not sparing extra inches; truly engineered with thought in mind.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    andres3 said:

ab348 said:

Audi puts them on the right rear, at least on the S4 and TT, and in the TT, all the way to the right and rear; not sparing extra inches; truly engineered with thought in mind.
    What are you going to replace the A4 with?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I actually think the TLX will be successful for Acura.

Have to see it in the flesh still, but I think the exterior is very enticing and will attract a lot of buyers on that alone.

And “just being competitive” with the other offerings in the segment is a place Acura hasn’t been for awhile! So it’s actually progress.

Whereas I think many folks sacrificed the horsepower and emotional appeal of the European brands for the reliability and reputation of Acura, they may now find they can have their cake and eat it too.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    corvette said:

That’s not to bad for a truck he said stickered for $100k. What’s the DPF? I’d look it up but I’m too lazy.

I think he said it had 51k miles which I thought was a lot given the year but it’s a diesel so....

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    au1994 said:

Punch! 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser. 135k miles, IE nothing for a Cruiser. Great maintenance history from Toyota. Now to get it from MA to GA.

You weren’t afraid of buying a vehicle from the rust belt? Check it underneath when you get it home. You could use graphicguy’s transport service if you don’t mind seeing a review here when he’s done. :p

• Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    This looks a lot nicer than any Tesla. If the price is comparable and with an actual dealer network it might do well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPYVocwRrks
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    sda said:

andres3 said:

ab348 said:

Nothing at the moment, though I think I need to jump at the chance to own a '14-'16 low mile undamaged un-mangled S4 as that possibility gets dimmer and dimmer as the years go by, and it really is the perfect daily driver sports sedan.

The one at Audi of San Diego right now is close...but it bothers me that the right front door and right rear door have about a 1/4" misalignment at the belt line sill trim on top of the doors. That's got CA body shop written all over it, but the Car Fax says NO ACCIDENTS, but does say "DAMAGE." Could it have been a falling branch? Vandalism from a key? Who knows?

I don't mind daily driving the TTS; it's fun! I love it. Also, my kid will only fit in the back seat maybe 2 more years tops, so maybe I should daily drive the TTS and wear it out while I still can.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    A Tesla Model 3 Performance is definitely on my list of cars I’d like to own. But until it becomes something hackable, remains out of budget. It would cost 3-4x monthly what I pay for the i3...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    I don't think I could ever do a Tesla. Just not for me.

but an i3 REX could be fun, but it would need to be one of those rare oddball leases for super low payment.

for a spare car to mostly use running around town, great option. Would not look to travel with it.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    breld said:

I actually think the TLX will be successful for Acura.

Have to see it in the flesh still, but I think the exterior is very enticing and will attract a lot of buyers on that alone.

And “just being competitive” with the other offerings in the segment is a place Acura hasn’t been for awhile! So it’s actually progress.

Whereas I think many folks sacrificed the horsepower and emotional appeal of the European brands for the reliability and reputation of Acura, they may now find they can have their cake and eat it too.

The other way to have not only your cake, but icing too, is to buy reliable European vehicles, or at least get the "good ones" to have an anecdotally reliable experience.

I think this gets "reliability" buyers panties in a twist, because it basically makes you a sucker for not getting what you really wanted.

I bare no ill will to those Chrysler owners that have had hundreds of thousands of care free durable miles (but most of them are probably truck buyers). :smile:
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    A hybrid or electric sounds interesting to be honest but since my driving miles have gone done drastically, not sure now is the time to do anything. Still haven't fixed the axle boot or front brakes yet. Think October would be the right time to do those things. Not sure when the new 2021 VW GTI is due out but definitely want to drive one. Or maybe just wait till the 2022's come out and fix my current ride.
    Decisions, decisions...just not sure what to do. So, doing nothing will be the plan and I'll just sit back and see what the rest of y'all will do. I do know, one day, I'll find the one, the next one actually, and then I'll jump on it. Until then, I'll keep looking.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguy said:

benjaminh said:

30 pounds maybe? probably not a huge difference in the real world (just like a moonroof makes no difference to handling in normal driving). They might have needed the space in the engine bay though. personally, I would rather have the battery up front where it normally is, and a spare tire in that well!
    If the TTS can fit a spare tire and a battery in the rear trunk/hatch area, there's no reason any car model short of a mid-engine or rear-engine car couldn't either!
  • Options
    benjaminh said:

My 90's Neon's battery was probably about 30-35 pounds, I bet you 2016+ models of all kinds are 40-50 pounds.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,256
    pensfan83 said:

corvette said:

pensfan83 said:

Is your lease TFS or US Bank?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    andres3 said:

ab348 said:

Whoa. You just said my Dodge was engineered with thought. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

corvette said:

That’s not to bad for a truck he said stickered for $100k. What’s the DPF? I’d look it up but I’m too lazy.

I think he said it had 51k miles which I thought was a lot given the year but it’s a diesel so....
    Diesel particulate filter, basically a filter to remove large soot particles from the exhaust. If it has to be replaced, I think just the part is upwards of $1,500.

I really don't care for silver as a color on pickups.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

sda said:

andres3 said:

ab348 said:

Nothing at the moment, though I think I need to jump at the chance to own a '14-'16 low mile undamaged un-mangled S4 as that possibility gets dimmer and dimmer as the years go by, and it really is the perfect daily driver sports sedan.

The one at Audi of San Diego right now is close...but it bothers me that the right front door and right rear door have about a 1/4" misalignment at the belt line sill trim on top of the doors. That's got CA body shop written all over it, but the Car Fax says NO ACCIDENTS, but does say "DAMAGE." Could it have been a falling branch? Vandalism from a key? Who knows?

I don't mind daily driving the TTS; it's fun! I love it. Also, my kid will only fit in the back seat maybe 2 more years tops, so maybe I should daily drive the TTS and wear it out while I still can.
    Only way to know for sure is take it to a body shop for a PPI. Damage, like accident can vary. Maybe a scrape going into the garage or maybe damaged going through the front window of the local coffee shop.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

ab348 said:

Yes, I'm impressed Dodge chose to spend a bit more and put the battery in the rear of the Charger. Surprised too!
  • Options
    corvette said:

corvette said:

Diesel particulate filter, basically a filter to remove large soot particles from the exhaust. If it has to be replaced, I think just the part is upwards of $1,500.

I should have known that as we had those on the school buses. Caused no end of troubles. As one of our mechanics once said “diesels aren’t made to have pollution controls”.

• Options

corvette said:

corvette said:

I should have known that as we had those on the school buses. Caused no end of troubles. As one of our mechanics once said “diesels aren’t made to have pollution controls”.
    I think there are kits available to delete the DPFs in areas where vehicles aren't subject to emissions testing.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,321
    Don't let the EPA find out you 'deleted' your diesel.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

ab348 said:

Yes, I'm impressed Dodge chose to spend a bit more and put the battery in the rear of the Charger. Surprised too!
    well, it is basically a Mercedes E class so that is probably why.

• Options

corvette said:

corvette said:

a decade ago when I was driving the ryder trucks every week is right when the filters came out (shortly after I stopped). IIRC every so often on the road the truck would do something to clear it and if you drove wrong (too much idling?) the engine would just shut down. Might have details fuzzy, but it was really poorly thought out, and there was a chance it could just shut down while driving.

at the time, my father was still in the volunteer fire company (and driving) and the the fire fighting community was having a big fight with the EPA over this, because whatever the specifics were, made it dangerous for them because the engines would shut down in the middle of fighting a fire (which of course, is not a good thing!) Not sure what ever came out of that.