Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,811
    edited July 7
    Michaell said:

I mentioned earlier this week that my wife spotted and admired the MB C-Class.

So, in honor of the holiday - and my anniversary - I decided to test drive this:

https://www.mercedesoflittleton.com/new-Littleton-2020-Mercedes+Benz-+-C+300+4MATIC-WDDWJ8EB3LF975406

A few thoughts.

I had to lower the seat all the way to fit - and even then, the pano roof still encroached on my headroom. Once I got situated, I was pretty comfortable and the sightlines were not as obscured as I expected them to be.

Loved the interior color - it went well with the grey exterior. It was equipped with both the Burmester (sp?) audio system and the digital, configurable dash. Cool feature but way too many options. Took me a couple of minutes to just get the tach to display. I suspect that after some time, it would become familiar.

Typical test drive - 4 right turns. I was able to get it onto the highway. I had the car in "comfort" mode for the test drive, and I found it comfortable enough. Certainly more sporty than the Outback - it had better be!.

I think the engine has about the same amount of power as the Outback (250HP, give or take), and the 9 speed transmission was fine at speed, but noticed some jerkiness at low speed. Not sure if that's common, or not. Certainly quick enough, but you can tell it's a 4-cyl turbo from the sound.

Despite the inclusion of the pano roof, the stereo upgrade and the digital dash, I was surprised to discover it didn't have adaptive cruise. Seems like a big omission on a $54K car.

I'm sure if I found a CPO car for $25K less, I might feel differently about it. Just seemed like a lot of money.

And, as I was telling @breld and @jpp75, I just wasn't comfortable at the dealer. I'm fine when I visit Audi and BMW dealers, just don't know what it is about MB.

Funny, I experienced driving my first Helen Keller ACC car this Holiday weekend in the '19 Tiguan in our road trip up the valley. I hated it.

Absolutely hated it. Horrible feature. Can't stand it. First, it takes off my cruise control power way too early, so when I'm getting ready to change lanes to pass, just at the moment I want to keep speed or speed up even to change lanes, it deactivates and slows me down due to a car way in front of me, turning off the "GO" pedal. They need to increase the following distance threshold by another 250 feet. Could it be the automatic braking?

Either way, the Helen Keller features need to go in the round file. I deactivated it.

Add this to my list of features that are a waste of weight, even if that weight is only a few Megabytes on the solid state data drive in the computer's brain:

1. Lane keep assist
    2. Navigation (prefer real-time updated sources)
    3. Automatic forward braking
    4. Automatic Cruise control

Features that need some additional tuning but are passable include:
    1. Blind Spot monitors.
    2. Cross traffic back up alerts; haven't experienced or tested this yet, but seems worthwhile to have given the way people tend to drive in parking lots.

Bright spots in the '19 Tiguan include:

1. While not a speedster, the 2.0T has plenty of reserve torque to shoot past all the drivers that forget you need to push the "go" pedal a bit more to maintain speed up the grapevine inclines. The torque plays major dividends on mountains.
    2. The 8-speed auto seems to be even better tuned and programmed than in my 4 year older '15 A4. Fantastically smooth transmission; though a DSG would be even more efficient (MPG) and faster. Also, VW inheriting the 8-speed auto for this car is a "BONUS" in the non-luxury category.
    3. Very roomy and easily swallowed our new doggy crate and luggage for 3 plus for our new dog (French Bulldog - 3 months old - doesn't like traveling by car, always throws up; name's Keyser (as in Keyser Soze from the Usual Suspects).
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 15,590
    stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I wonder what their actual plan is though. Not likely that air travel (and airport rentals) is rebounding fully any time soon. Maybe aiming toward more local rentals to people without cars that previously would have bussed/trained/short hop flew but now want to drive instead?

Wonder if Hertz is going to be disappearing from airports, or the local offices, hence the shedding of units?

It’s funny you say that. At least locally, both companies are open at the airport but Hertz has it’s branch offices open while Enterprise does not.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited July 7

I, too, feel out of place at MB dealers and I can’t explain why. Well, actually I can. I’ve found the experience to be overly formal with a lot of, what I perceived to be, fake niceness. No one is mean, it’s just awkward.

Audi and BMW I’ve found to be more laid back all around. More car guys seem to be at those dealers, too, and that is definitely more my speed.

I have found both the MB and BMW of San Diego dealerships to be a bit pretentious. Someone that pulls up in an Audi should command attention and respect :smile: or at least when you mention you own an Audi if they didn't see what you pulled up in.

While if someone owned a lemon Audi, the jig might work, it doesn't work when they act like MB or BMW are a lot snottier/better than Audi, and I actually have liked and enjoyed my past Audi's. It's a turnoff. :disappointed:

Now if I drove up in a Neon and they said "I'm shocked you made it here without a tow truck, we'll give you $8 bucks for it." I'd laugh and buy a car that same day for sure! :smile:
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,680
    Maybe Enterprise is going to sell of their old units and replace them with lower mileage ones, rather than buy new.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited

Funny about doc fees...some dealers act is if it’s a constitutional amendment they have to follow.

First time I tried to negotiate it away was probably 20 years ago. Can’t remember the car, but I was sitting in F&I and here comes the doc fee on the paperwork. Telling the F&I guy I couldn’t understand why a) it was so high, and b) why I couldn’t do the paperwork and filing myself and save what was probably around $100 they were charging for the doc fee.

F&I guy seemed stunned and said, “well, I guess you could if you really wanted to”. I told him I would and to remove the doc fee. Of course, a manager got involved and told me it was a mandatory fee and that it covered their processing of the paperwork, loan docs, etc at which time I told him I had my own financing in place that that I would file everything with the BMV. He was befuddled, too.

Ended up, they dropped the doc fee and did the paperwork anyway.

That was the beginning of my “here’s my offer, all in” way of negotiations. Some dealers who I’ve done business with before “get” how my offers work. Some, have no clue what it is I’m doing and still try to add fees into my one, all-in offer.

Might be more palatable if they offered real value with their doc fees. But, mostly it’s just filing on online and maybe firing up the printer for a few docs. $100? $200? $300? $500? For that service? No thanks. I’ll walk out of the dealership.

I wonder if it is more of "pretend to mistake" your offer as not all-in, rather than be "clueless" about what you mean by all-in. By pretending it was just a "subtotal" offer, they can try and extract more money from you, and they can more easily say "yes" to the offer if they add in a bunch of below the line add-ons. I have a feeling some prefer a "misunderstanding" to saying "no" to an offer. In other words, wasting time.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 37,959
    Andre, one thing to check is the settings on the cruise. When I first tried in on my TLX (first car with ACC) I hated it. slowed down hard when I could barely see the car ahead. Figured out (after having it pointed out here) that it was adjustable, and the default was max sensitivity. Once I dialed that down to minimum, it was much better. But I know what you mean about it deciding to hammer the brakes at the wrong time. With the flip side, when you get cleared, it floors the gas.

I actually hate regular cruise control. I almost never use it, since I only trust it on an empty highway, and you don't find many of those in the NE corridor. Too stressful, since I hover my foot over the brake pedal anyway. At least I know the ACC won't run into someone! Still almost never use it. I have to put my right foot someplace, might as well be on the gas pedal. I can hypermile better anyway, since cruise always seems to be dropping down gears on any slight incline.

I personally think BLIS is an excellent feature as added protection, but cross path is the best. Especially when you drive a low sedan in a world of billboard trucks. Much less stressful trying to back out of a parking spot.

Lane keep, that just gets annoying.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

corvette said:

You’re driving fine German engineering, there’s a CEL for the CEL. :'(

Anything is possible. As a follow up to my E85 experiment in the Tundra, it turns out the freak-out it had wasn't caused by my scan tool, it was legitimately due to the "engine running lean" code causing a cascade of other issues, and generating malfunction codes for the ABS system, combination meter, trailer brake controller, ECU communication circuit, instrument cluster, and BCM. Now, there is no way that all of that stuff should go haywire just on account of out-of-spec fuel, but I guess this is the world that we live in with modern vehicle electronics.
    CASCADE failure! You learn about that in the movie "Passengers"

It doesn't take electronics to have cascading failures though, just bad engineering or product.
    fintail said:

Speaking of dealers and looking, I browsed a handful of dealers this afternoon - MB, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Jag/LR, VW, Subaru, Toyota. These are all within several minutes of each other, some next door, so it is efficient. All dealerships were open, and all had some foot traffic. MB, BMW, Jag, and Toyota seemed relatively busy for a holiday, maybe with so little else going on, people wanted something to do. Everyone was wearing masks, and there was obvious signage about the facilities being cleaned.

MB: I instantly encountered the salesman who dealt with me on the wagon. He greeted me by name, but was with a customer. I walked the lot and looked and the showroom. Nothing really got me going, but there was something - a 140K+ S560 coupe without Distronic. Some kind of weird abandoned special order I suspect - it had a Designo paint color (an unusual dark red) and interior, but virtually zero other options and no adaptive cruise that can be had on many mainstream cars.

Porsche: I only walked the lot, didn't encounter any salespeople. Saw a few Taycan, all had MSRP within a few hundred dollars of each other, 169K. CUVs outnumbered cars maybe 3:1.

Audi: I only walked the lot, didn't feel like checking out the small showroom. Didn't encounter any salespeople, they had tons of CUVs, no hot car models that I could see.

BMW: visited the new facility for the first time. Very nice place, with something from every model in the huge showroom - mildly reminiscent of the new car section of BMW Welt in Munich. I was greeted by a salesman, I explained I was just passing time and browsing. Most appealing car to me was a M2C in blue. There were some wacky things, like a loaded 760 at something like 180K, and some high spec 8ers with big prices.

Jag/LR: walked the lots and showroom, was greeted by a salesman who was a car guy, and we chatted. He saw my wagon and mentioned the Jag Sportbrake. Saw lots of IPace, LR had a ton of stuff including a couple new Defender, priced around 75K. A couple of Range Rover Autobiography MSRP well over 200K IIRC were amusing - makes a G-Wagen seem sensible.

VW: walked the lot, avoided the small showroom. Lots of selection, greeted by a salesman was I was leaving. Good mix of cars and CUVs. Only one Arteon, but I suspect that will sell in small numbers anyway.

Subaru: walked the lot, avoided the small showroom. Didn't meet any salespeople. Appeared to have a full lineup in stock. Subaru and VW are adjacent, under the same umbrella, and are relatively small.

Toyota: walked the lot, avoided the showroom. Was met by a salesman, who chatted me up, a car guy, and he noticed the wagon. He had some questions about my car, which was fun. The numerous flavors of 4Runner caught my eye, along with a Landcruiser "heritage" or something, with a retro badge. It looks kind of retro inside too, like 2005. There was one Supra outside, MSRP around 60K, no ADM.

A couple pics: No, this is not my car, but close. This one is the same exterior color and wheels, but has a different (Designo beige/brown leather) interior, and lacks a few interior options had by my car. MSRP 83K:

So much variety!

That Audi picture is probably why the North American Audi Club now allows SUV's into the "A" Beginner's group at HPDE track weekend events. SUV's used to be banned for high center of gravity and weight issues.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 7,618
    andres3 said:

corvette said:

You’re driving fine German engineering, there’s a CEL for the CEL. :'(

Anything is possible. As a follow up to my E85 experiment in the Tundra, it turns out the freak-out it had wasn't caused by my scan tool, it was legitimately due to the "engine running lean" code causing a cascade of other issues, and generating malfunction codes for the ABS system, combination meter, trailer brake controller, ECU communication circuit, instrument cluster, and BCM. Now, there is no way that all of that stuff should go haywire just on account of out-of-spec fuel, but I guess this is the world that we live in with modern vehicle electronics.
    CASCADE failure! You learn about that in the movie "Passengers"

It doesn't take electronics to have cascading failures though, just bad engineering or product.
    Yup, kind of like the "beam shake" that plagued GMT800 pickups in the early 2000s. Normal concrete highway undulation + poor chassis dynamics + no weight in the bed + crummy OEM tires with poor road force variance = vibrations.

I've mostly gotten used to the ACC on the Tundra. I generally set the distance to the minimum, and even then, sometimes it slows down just as I'm changing lanes to pass someone on the interstate. If I'm stuck on a long interstate stretch where it's closed down to one lane and I know I won't be passing anyone, I usually increase the distance to the max to avoid it riding the brakes unnecessarily.
    edited July 7
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9aLaW1yo/2007-audi-rs4

Any predictions? Could be a fun $20,000 toy. I wonder if I called Pure MS in San Diego if they'd divulge the "insider info" on the car.

It's not like there is a HIPPA release form for car records....
  • breldbreld Posts: 4,999
    edited July 7
    ACC in the Volvo is the best I’ve experienced. I’m not sure what the programming is, but when you activate the left turn signal to change lanes and pass, the vehicle “preps” itself to accelerate and does so quickly. The overall operation is just a step or two smoother than others I’ve owned, including Audi, Land Rover and Toyota.

I get the reaction that some, if not many, of these features are overly intrusive, but I personally am thankful they exist and are being continuously improved upon - partially for my own driving but more so for the cars around me...like the one that’s tailing me too closely or the one next to me with the driver veering into my lane while they check messages.

2019 Volvo V90 XC - 2019 MB GLC300 Coupe - 2020 Supra

• fintailfintail Posts: 51,003
    CUVs?

I wonder if they are cannibalizing sales from Audi cars or from other designer handbags on wheels like the Lexus RX. Lately the various Audi soft roaders seem to be very popular among the local Stepford set.
    andres3 said:

That Audi picture is probably why the North American Audi Club now allows SUV's into the "A" Beginner's group at HPDE track weekend events. SUV's used to be banned for high center of gravity and weight issues.

pretty car. Probably fun. seems to have been maintained, but still lot of miles, and an oil leak that can't be traced by 2 mechanics? Not promising unless you have very deep pockets and don't care about dipping into them! as usual on one of these auctions, an "expert" in the comments seems to be confident they know what is the problem (nothing that $3,000 and the engine out can't fix!) Though seller says it never needs oil between changes, so what the heck, let is seep!

not at all my style of car, but I love the color combo on this. And for big sedans, just a beautiful, timeless design in and out. Wish they could still make cars like this instead of much of the overwrought stuff a lot of companies are producing.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdDXMqOL/1989-mercedes-benz-420-sel

Here’s an SUV we all can get behind...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/814775975/overview/

Someone here should buy this. Clean Carfax, under 100k miles, sport seats with the 6 speed manual.

I like it. Not sure if the picture reflected or not, but looked like a lot of pixel issues on the antique display screen!

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 2,609

18 Tesla X Performance / 18 Tesla 3 Performance / 11 BMW Z4 "the horse"

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 6,796
    An X5 with the M54 and a 6spd. Rare bird.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
    Price looks OK now, much more and it will approach market correct. 126s can be worth good money, but they have to be low miles and really pristine. That one, with the rare color combo, wheelarch chrome, chrome wheels with Sir Mix-A-Lot gold center caps, is very "1989 California". I think the 126 will always be regarded as the pinnacle of S-class - to think, that design was almost 10 years old when the car was made.
    stickguy said:

not at all my style of car, but I love the color combo on this. And for big sedans, just a beautiful, timeless design in and out. Wish they could still make cars like this instead of much of the overwrought stuff a lot of companies are producing.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdDXMqOL/1989-mercedes-benz-420-sel

Maybe Enterprise is going to sell of their old units and replace them with lower mileage ones, rather than buy new.

I’m sure there are bean counters figuring it out to the penny.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tifighter said:
    I wonder how long it will take hackers to bypass all that nonsense. How long do you have to subscribe for. Paying for heated seats in the summer would seem like a rip off.

• omarmanomarman Posts: 2,335
    Wonder why the seller tinted the glass so dark? At least compared to auction pics from June 10. Nasty looking front wheels and engine compartment pic. Rare but not exactly loved.

Minor dent/scratches stated on the auction site and pic #4 shows right rear lens damage.

Cleaned and detailed nicely by seller. No mention of any body repair but as stated has clean carfax.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 13,116
    fintail said:

Price looks OK now, much more and it will approach market correct. 126s can be worth good money, but they have to be low miles and really pristine. That one, with the rare color combo, wheelarch chrome, chrome wheels with Sir Mix-A-Lot gold center caps, is very "1989 California". I think the 126 will always be regarded as the pinnacle of S-class - to think, that design was almost 10 years old when the car was made.

Too bad about the dashpad crack. Glad they got rid of 2 of the 3 grille badges, I'd lose the third one too.

I didn't realize that M-B was still somewhat malaise-y in 1989 with the engine only putting out 220hp. Not as fast as I would have expected one of these to be.

The big ughknown here is the lack of info on whether the major services have actually been done. One can only assume they haven't been, which means $$$.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 158,964

stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I wonder what their actual plan is though. Not likely that air travel (and airport rentals) is rebounding fully any time soon. Maybe aiming toward more local rentals to people without cars that previously would have bussed/trained/short hop flew but now want to drive instead?

Wonder if Hertz is going to be disappearing from airports, or the local offices, hence the shedding of units?

It’s funny you say that. At least locally, both companies are open at the airport but Hertz has it’s branch offices open while Enterprise does not.
    Bankruptcy does not mean they are going out of business.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

breld said:

Someone here should buy this. Clean Carfax, under 100k miles, sport seats with the 6 speed manual.

X5 sticks are Uber-rare

We test drove an '05 X3 with stick for my son, at one point, but just too pricey. Cool, though

Edmunds Moderator

Where the heck did that come from? Auction site looks like it’s in Europe!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,680
    I think it was in Poland.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I was talking to my friend who works for Hertz about that subject. Hertz isn’t going anywhere but they could be bought up by another company. There’s been a lot of consolidation in the past 20 years.

I even hear that Elon Musk is interested in a position so he can put more of his cars out on the road.

If they aren’t shutting down, they at least are scaling back if they are unloading a bunch of cars.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 27,740
    breld said:

Has been sitting at virtually the same miles for 2 years. A similar one sold at auction in Chicago in May for $2700. Soooo.... nope, I’d steer clear of that at that price.

'03 F250 7.3, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

edited July 8

I think it was in Poland.

Odd. So a US car, being listed to sell overseas?

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 13,116
    stickguy said:

If they aren’t shutting down, they at least are scaling back if they are unloading a bunch of cars.

They probably need to raise a bunch of cash.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Nice sleuth work on the X5 all.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 153,140
    I'm pretty sure I know what the consensus will be on this, but looking for your opinions:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/62007/honda/accord/buying-a-used-2013-honda-accord-with-a-salvage-rebuilt-title#latest

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 8
    Old MB dash pads, really well into the 90s, don't like UV exposure. I see it a lot, especially on darker colors, especially blue for some reason.

The only grille badges I can tolerate are club-related. Please no souvenir badges. In 1989 this was still a platform that entered production in 1979 and had an engine design from 1985. 220hp wasn't too shabby then, but I suspect Euro models had 10-20% more hp. Unless one has a good paper trail, always buy one of these like it needs a visit to the shop to deal with deferred maintenance.
    ab348 said:

Too bad about the dashpad crack. Glad they got rid of 2 of the 3 grille badges, I'd lose the third one too.

I didn't realize that M-B was still somewhat malaise-y in 1989 with the engine only putting out 220hp. Not as fast as I would have expected one of these to be.

The big ughknown here is the lack of info on whether the major services have actually been done. One can only assume they haven't been, which means $$$.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 5,225
    edited July 8
    Hoovie needs $5,500 of work done on his BMW 7-series. It's about 20 years old, but it only has 80k miles.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I always loved that design.

E38, especially with sport trim, was maybe peak 7er. I don't mind E32 and E23 either, but since, seems to be aiming for S-class too hard, when it should be its own thing.
    Proves once again, you buy one of these after the rich guy that took the bath. Because after hoovie dumps all that money in, probably not worth any more. And of course, they are never completely sorted. Always something else waiting to go wrong!

stickguy said:

Proves once again, you buy one of these after the rich guy that took the bath. Because after hoovie dumps all that money in, probably not worth any more. And of course, they are never completely sorted. Always something else waiting to go wrong!

Didn’t Hoovie actually clear a profit on that 93’ Camaro?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 14,106
    Anybody watch Doug's video on the Reatta?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Anybody watch Doug's video on the Reatta?

I always liked those. The time to get one was 3-4 years ago when they hit rock bottom. Prices have doubled since then.

edited July 8
    I like this:
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/815342287/overview/

EDIT: Nevermind, title is rebuilt.

stickguy said:

Didn’t Hoovie actually clear a profit on that 93’ Camaro?
    Nope - apparently still wasn't enough - I suspect if the AC hadn't kicked the bucket he might have.
    Nice! Xenons, too. and, manual sport seats!

If it were only RWD... not bad, though

Edmunds Moderator

I think my obsession has moved from lease hacking to buying old european cars that will be guaranteed to break my heart.

well, if your goal is to become a youtube "star", that is definitely the way to go.

kyfdx said:

Nice! Xenons, too. and, manual sport seats!

If it were only RWD... not bad, though
    I do like that one. But yeah, needs to be RWD. I remember seeing one some years back on CL local for IIRC about that price. Green, stick, RWD. Little did I know it was time to hoard them. I believe it was during a period that I was in no position to buy anything though. If I could find a clean stick RWD wagon I would buy it as a spare car. Good as anything else!

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 2,609
    fintail said:

E38, especially with sport trim, was maybe peak 7er. I don't mind E32 and E23 either, but since, seems to be aiming for S-class too hard, when it should be its own thing.

I do have a soft spot for the E23. A neighbor had one when I was a kid. Probably an 86, white, 735i. Liked it then, like it now.

18 Tesla X Performance / 18 Tesla 3 Performance / 11 BMW Z4 "the horse"

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

they smelled a bargain?

I was talking to my friend who works for Hertz about that subject. Hertz isn’t going anywhere but they could be bought up by another company. There’s been a lot of consolidation in the past 20 years.

I even hear that Elon Musk is interested in a position so he can put more of his cars out on the road.
    I hope Hertz doesn't get Teslas, knowing their business model on gas charges, they'll take the market rate for electricity/power, multiply by 5, and then charge you by how many minutes it takes to recharge it, unless of course, you take the time to charge it yourself.