Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    I suspect this wouldn’t be too bad because it’s RWD and manual. But it’s not going to be a race car.

No clue on price. Doesn’t seem that outrageous price wise, but then again, I think my view is warped up here.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,900
    edited October 2020
    Watching the Volvo threads on that other site... Costco rebate of $1250 which stacks with $1000 loyalty.

Wonder if I can get a $60k XC90 under $600 effective without MSDs.

Trying to find out if I sign up for Costco now if it’s enough time for a Dec purchase. Costco programs run to end of year.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Of course ... that’s if I want an XC90.

Or a Sierra CC SB

Or another Enclave.

I sound like @stickguy !

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited October 2020
    tjc78 said:

Or a Sierra CC SB

Or another Enclave.

I sound like @stickguy !

XC90 is awfully nice. If a deal can be had, that would be hard to pass up. But I hear you, a nicely optioned Sierra would be good as well. In non-Denali trim, I worry that the interior might not be nice enough. My dad is on his 3rd Enclave so there must be some appeal there. I don’t know that I could do 3 in a row of something basically identical but this fits his pattern. He used to do Olds 98’s back to back in the 80’s. I’ve gone from a 328i coupe to a 335i sedan. I guess thats close?!?!?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    tjc78 said:

Or a Sierra CC SB

Or another Enclave.

I sound like @stickguy !

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I suspect this wouldn’t be too bad because it’s RWD and manual. But it’s not going to be a race car.

No clue on price. Doesn’t seem that outrageous price wise, but then again, I think my view is warped up here.

I actually searched cars.com. Nationwide, very few out there. Maybe 3 dozen 2012+, $ cap of $25k, manual 3 series of any spec.

But, they listed that white one as a “great value”, so must not be too bad. At least in the current crazy market.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,967
    edited October 2020
    Well, the call has been made and the Golf goes into the new mechanic next Monday. Fixing the torn axle boot and checking the brakes as the pedal is a bit low. We discussed it last night and just makes sense to do it. I did check out online that 2020 Chevy Trax Premier in Delray and the price has come down to $15,982 which ain't a bad price honestly. Think it would be closer to $18,500 out the door but, they only have white over black or black over black. And after driving that Encore, I just am not sure I'd really be super happy with it. It does have the Bose system I want plus the roof, but not sure. Can still run up there on Thursday which I just might do just to make 100% sure. But, keeping with the current plan is probably the best scenario going forward. Really want to check out the new 2021 GTI to be honest and see if I'd like it as much.
    So, as of now, fixing the Golf and staying the course until next year.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,709
    edited October 2020
    Unless you need the extra set of doors, I'd highly recommend a 228i over the 320i. Still a bit hard to find, but that was a great value.

This one is very similar to mine, other than the red interior and fewer options. But M-sport package and manual combo is the key.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824306270/overview/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

edited October 2020
    au1994 said:

tjc78 said:

Or a Sierra CC SB

Or another Enclave.

I sound like @stickguy !

XC90 is awfully nice. If a deal can be had, that would be hard to pass up. But I hear you, a nicely optioned Sierra would be good as well. In non-Denali trim, I worry that the interior might not be nice enough. My dad is on his 3rd Enclave so there must be some appeal there. I don’t know that I could do 3 in a row of something basically identical but this fits his pattern. He used to do Olds 98’s back to back in the 80’s. I’ve gone from a 328i coupe to a 335i sedan. I guess thats close?!?!?
    We had two virtually identical Enclaves back to back. The new one is different... but not really different enough. Having said that .... if the lease deal is decent I would consider that route.

XC90 is very nice and my wife would be thrilled, but it will be a challenge to find a dealer that will meet the discount that the brokers use to get their payments.

A truck will fit our lifestyle really well, but the one challenge is parking it at our campsite near the Jersey shore. There is plenty of room on our lot but the fence across from us and narrow street will make backing out a PITA. It’s two feet longer than our Enclave.

I guess a loaded Traverse or Explorer could get thrown in the mix but I really don’t love either of those.

Wife is pretty much staying out of it as long as it’s big enough for our gear and “around” the same payment as our current ride.

Darn... needed Costco by 9/30 for Volvo deals.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    tjc78 said:

au1994 said:

tjc78 said:

Or a Sierra CC SB

Or another Enclave.

I sound like @stickguy !

We had two virtually identical Enclaves back to back. The new one is different... but not really different enough. Having said that .... if the lease deal is decent I would consider that route.

XC90 is very nice and my wife would be thrilled, but it will be a challenge to find a dealer that will meet the discount that the brokers use to get their payments.

A truck will fit our lifestyle really well, but the one challenge is parking it at our campsite near the Jersey shore. There is plenty of room on our lot but the fence across from us and narrow street will make backing out a PITA. It’s two feet longer than our Enclave.

I guess a loaded Traverse or Explorer could get thrown in the mix but I really don’t love either of those.

Wife is pretty much staying out of it as long as it’s big enough for our gear and “around” the same payment as our current ride.
    I know what you mean. At our lake place there are some narrow roads and tight turns that make the LC feel every inch of its size.

FWIW, I’ve always liked the look of the Acadia.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    stickguy said:

No clue how realistic the price is, but for me, the car is perfect (other than the interior color). I have no issues with a 320, for the way I drive and what I would do with it. Especially since it’s not saddled with AWD. I love it. Has to be quicker than my 1985 Colt with 62 HP.

It is not very realistic. $12k car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

$12K wholesale/trade? Because that retail would be a nice deal!

T, what about a Colorado? Most of the utility you need, but a lot more manageable size. Or of course, a Ridgeline.

breld said:

Unless you need the extra set of doors, I'd highly recommend a 228i over the 320i. Still a bit hard to find, but that was a great value.

This one is very similar to mine, other than the red interior and fewer options. But M-sport package and manual combo is the key.

don't really need 4 doors, just more convenient. But I do love this one. My wife might hate the red interior, but not her car! Looks like it is someplace in Connecticut. Probably up near Bradd based on the miles away from me.

good miles on it, so can't argue there. and looks to have the important options, not that the ad tells you much.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    stickguy said:

breld said:

don't really need 4 doors, just more convenient. But I do love this one. My wife might hate the red interior, but not her car! Looks like it is someplace in Connecticut. Probably up near Bradd based on the miles away from me.

good miles on it, so can't argue there. and looks to have the important options, not that the ad tells you much.
    Ugh, that ad reminds me of the deal I could have had on the one @breld owned.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,967
    Just looked, price of that Chevy Trax went up to $22,273! Been looking at it on CarGuru's so have no clue why the sudden jump in price? Well, guess I ain't going up there after all. Not worth it to even look at that price.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

In life, you must choose your battles...

Exactly; for $350 I have a shortened car shopping list for the rest of my life. Not a terrible deal. Certainly Dodge cost me more to get to the point of shortening my consideration list.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,270
    That’s nuts. For $350 you ruined your credit for who knows how long and likely cost yourself more than that in increased insurance premiums.

Hyundai is probably glad to be rid of you.
    edited October 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

That’s nuts. For $350 you ruined your credit for who knows how long and likely cost yourself more than that in increased insurance premiums.

Hyundai is probably glad to be rid of you.

They "all" say they are glad to be "rid of a customer" until they go back and try to beg plead and steal from said customer with some form of a bailout/handout/charity/please give us some consideration marketing campaign.

Didn't even think of the insurance premiums. I don't think they check my credit every 6 months. Heck, I've heard some companies don't even run a driver's report every 6 months if you've been with them for years. That's one fee CA DMV should raise to $1,000 (to run a driver's history report).

Means I'll have to self-insure more for a few years; I don't mind, insurance profits sicken me too.

I will say I didn't know interest rates were about to plummet. Never thought I'd want to refinance anytime soon, but I'm still good at under 4%. I have the cash to buy the Alltrack, so I don't need credit there either; but the back end deal for the dealership must be pretty good from all the corrupted profits these banks make. This is the first time I've seen a sizeable rebate on a "used" car for financing a used car.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Stopped by the VW dealer today to discuss upcoming service visit for the kids Jetta. While there, saw their last (or maybe one of 2 or 3) new GTIs. Out front and locked so couldn’t sit in it (normally I would have asked to open it, but felt bad since I assume someone would have to sanitize it when I was done). An S model stick. Love the plaid seats. The red color, a bit garish on that car.

Based on supply, there is going to be a long drought until the mk8 arrives in the spring.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rb0AwMwL/2001-chevrolet-corvette-coupe

Why do they call it a coupe if it's a convertible? I like the exterior color. Might be a fun mid-life crisis car.
    stickguy said:

T, what about a Colorado? Most of the utility you need, but a lot more manageable size. Or of course, a Ridgeline.

Afraid the interior will be a bit small, especially coming from the Enclave.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    stickguy said:

Stopped by the VW dealer today to discuss upcoming service visit for the kids Jetta. While there, saw their last (or maybe one of 2 or 3) new GTIs. Out front and locked so couldn’t sit in it (normally I would have asked to open it, but felt bad since I assume someone would have to sanitize it when I was done). An S model stick. Love the plaid seats. The red color, a bit garish on that car.

Based on supply, there is going to be a long drought until the mk8 arrives in the spring.

Oil change and tire rotation for me at the dealer, today.

SE with leather, and automatic transmission stickered for $34,500. In the showroom. Same color as mine.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@andres3
    Is the Kia thing in collections? If so, or once it does settle it for a lesser amount and make them remove it from your credit report as part of the deal.

Wife had a $300 medical bill that was BS and we couldn’t fix. We knew we didn’t owe it but with all the time that passed it eventually went to collections. We offered $175 and immediate removal from her report. They complied.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    tjc78 said:

@andres3
    Is the Kia thing in collections? If so, or once it does settle it for a lesser amount and make them remove it from your credit report as part of the deal.

Wife had a $300 medical bill that was BS and we couldn’t fix. We knew we didn’t owe it but with all the time that passed it eventually went to collections. We offered $175 and immediate removal from her report. They complied.

Somebody I do business with had this crazy thing happen to his wife’s student loan a number of years ago. They went to refinance the student loan which was bought out out by another company on the day they refinanced it. They ended up having to settle with the company that bought the loan AS well as pay what they refinanced. It ended up costing them thousands of dollars. If they would have continued to fight in court, they would have racked up a lot more than they settled for in legal fees alone.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    Found this CPO Explorer which looks promising.
    Ticks all the boxes for us.
    https://www.dowlingford.com/used-Cheshire-2017-Ford-Explorer-Sport-1FM5K8GT9HGB18626
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited October 2020
    tjc78 said:

@andres3

I think it's in "last ditch effort" 5th party collections now. I received a letter the other day from a new collections agency. I feel like it's "too late" to fix my credit. I'd need to see it to believe it. The way these collections agencies and Kia Finance have acted in this case, I wouldn't trust them without a 10-page 100-step written treaty on how my credit will be restored to its pre-existing condition, that the CEO of Kia Finance signs with a personal guarantee rider.

They sort of already tricked me into paying the disposition fee without erasing this from the record. I told them the $350 was in error and I'd pay the $400. They took my $400 in a bit of a scam. I'd of had more bargaining power withholding the full $750.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    edited October 2020
    andres3 said:

Why do they call it a coupe if it's a convertible? I like the exterior color. Might be a fun mid-life crisis car.

Removable roof or solid roof = coupe
    Fabric fold down top = convertible
    On that generation Corvette, at least.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

Well, the call has been made and the Golf goes into the new mechanic next Monday. Fixing the torn axle boot and checking the brakes as the pedal is a bit low. We discussed it last night and just makes sense to do it. I did check out online that 2020 Chevy Trax Premier in Delray and the price has come down to $15,982 which ain't a bad price honestly. Think it would be closer to $18,500 out the door but, they only have white over black or black over black. And after driving that Encore, I just am not sure I'd really be super happy with it. It does have the Bose system I want plus the roof, but not sure. Can still run up there on Thursday which I just might do just to make 100% sure. But, keeping with the current plan is probably the best scenario going forward. Really want to check out the new 2021 GTI to be honest and see if I'd like it as much.
    So, as of now, fixing the Golf and staying the course until next year.

I think fixing the VW is your best bet. If you don’t buy new you have made you car better and if you do trade it you can show a history of regular maintenance.

Say, did you say you drove a Kia K5 a while ago? What was your opinion?

I drove one today. I was impressed with the performance and handling but turned off by the cheap interior.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

It’s a T top not a convertible. The whole roof doesn’t go down so technically I guess that’s a coupe. I got to where I could unbolt the T top on my C4 in about 30 seconds.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Found this CPO Explorer which looks promising.
    Ticks all the boxes for us.
    https://www.dowlingford.com/used-Cheshire-2017-Ford-Explorer-Sport-1FM5K8GT9HGB18626

Is that the 3.5 with the internal water pump? I’ve heard of problems but they may have fixed that issue by 2017.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited October 2020
    andres3 said:

It's not a convertible; it's a targa top, as which is typical for Corvette.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    stickguy said:

$12K wholesale/trade? Because that retail would be a nice deal!

Retail. It is a base 3 series with 80k miles. Doesn’t strike me as a special deal.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

cars.com doesn't agree with you. But the bigger problem is, they are so rare that sellers hold out for the idiot purist that wants an honest to goodness real manual gearbox. There was nothing listed nationally close to that price.

Service department points out an impact bubble on one of my tires. :(
    $200 for a new one. Tires have 18K miles. Already down to 5/32.

Costco has a deal on Michelin Pilot 4 A/S. $622+tax installed

I’m pretty sure Mrs. @breld curbed this tire, and I just missed it, until now. ;)

Decisions, decisions..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    kyfdx said:

I’m pretty sure Mrs. @breld curbed this tire, and I just missed it, until now. ;)

Decisions, decisions..

You like keeping friends, do you? My daughter would say #rude, lol. Go with the Michelins.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

kyfdx said:

Decisions, decisions..

That’s a very good price. I just paid $100 more for a set of those tires.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    That’s bargain for those tires. I’d do that.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

kyfdx said:

Decisions, decisions..

That’s a very good price. I just paid $100 more for a set of those tires.
    Big local/regional chain having the same Michelin sale (Tire Discounters). $100/set higher.

So, yeah, it's a good price. 225/40-18

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That’s bargain for those tires. I’d do that.

Thanks.. Looked into the DWS-06, but with the Michelin sale, I can't come close. $50-$150 more than the Michelins.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kind of an odd thing, I think: I've found I don't have the desire to upgrade to a new Charger. Yes, sure, a Scat Pack would be sweet, and the interior is far better than mine. But I can't seem to bring myself to surrender my Hemi Orange Daytona. To me, it is a special car in a way that a new one just isn't. At least none that I have seen. I see some new ones that are in Go Mango, but they don't carry the visual appeal of mine, IMHO.

qbrozen said:

Kind of an odd thing, I think: I've found I don't have the desire to upgrade to a new Charger. Yes, sure, a Scat Pack would be sweet, and the interior is far better than mine. But I can't seem to bring myself to surrender my Hemi Orange Daytona. To me, it is a special car in a way that a new one just isn't. At least none that I have seen. I see some new ones that are in Go Mango, but they don't carry the visual appeal of mine, IMHO.

When I started my new job, I had to fly to the company HQ in the Bay Area on day 2 for some meetings and on-boarding. Traveled with my new boss. When we got to the rental car row, I steered her to the white Charger with a Hemi. She commented on how powerful it was on the drive to the office. I had a chance to drive it a couple of times - the torque is addictive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    qbrozen said:

Hemi Orange is a classic color!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    62 large for a 3 YO Dodge that is out of BtB warranty already? MSRP new was only 74k.

Certainly flashy, if you want that kind of attention!

Looks like a 4 door version of Bumblebee from the Transformers

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

the yellow definitely makes me think "Chevy" first.
    Price isn't too crazy. About $5k markup from auction value.