Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you shopping for a new car and having a hard time finding what you want or did you recently buy a car but had to settle for something different than what you originally wanted? A reporter wants to speak with you; please reach out to [email protected] by 10/22 for more info.

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Posts: 5,196

breld said:

corvette said:

This is gorgeous. I love Topaz Blue, and it seems like most of these have a black interior, like mine did.

Agreed...

My 530i was that same color combo.
    I almost bought a gorgeous Topaz Blue E39 540 back in 2006- it was weirdly optioned and lacked a third pedal so I passed.
    I bought my 2002 530i Sport Manual back in 2012 with about 55k miles on it. Just happened upon it at a time before the E39 was crazy collectible and paid $12k for it.

If I had to pick one car out of the many I’ve owned that I should have held on to...well, maybe the E91 m-sport manual we had. But this would be a close second.

2019 Cayenne Base - 2020 Supra - 2020 MINI Hardtop S

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,896
    edited September 12

I guess I tempted all sorts of fate the past couple of days

You should have issued a TRIGGER WARNING for your post. The timid among us (you know who you are) need to know ahead of time what they're about to read. You know, safe space and all that.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 14,082

xwesx said:

Your confidence in your vehicles is not quite up to the task? :)

I can hardly sleep at night- worrying if I'll make it to the office in the morning without a catastrophic failure.
    ;)

That's no way to live, RB; no way to live at all. :p
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 161,853
    My folks kept a loaded .22 pistol in the master bedroom closet, since my dad worked 24 hour shifts for his job at the FD and he wanted my mom to be able to protect herself.

When he switched over to become the fire cause investigator for the city, he went through the police academy (at age 41 or 42!) to become a sworn peace officer. He carried a 9MM as his primary sidearm.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 10,956
    corvette said:

I had actually forgotten that the Aurora and the most recent Riviera were FWD. A Panther is also a possibility--shouldn't everyone own one of those at some point?

I approve of this message.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 16,211
    qbrozen said:

That 50k-mile blue eos owner replied to my first volley of questions, after about 12 hours, but very abbreviated. I responded with follow-ups about another 12 hrs ago. No response yet.

So the traditional 20th anniversary symbol is china. You think I could claim the car is “china blue”? Lol.

Throw a plate in the trunk. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I guess I tempted all sorts of fate the past couple of days- yesterday I drove the 11 year old Clubman to a dinner party @ 20 miles away. I saw north of 85 mph for a while on the interstate. This morning I ran errands all over Louisville in the quarter of a century old Club Sport- keeping the M42 motor wound north of 4000 rpm most of the time. Then this afternoon I drove the the 6 year old 2er to an evening jazz concert and dinner- a 140 mile round trip with a moderate interstate jaunt and about 30 miles of twisting rural two lanes.

I had my AAA card at the ready and their number on speed dial as I expected that I'd need to call them at least 3-4 times but it seems I dodged more than one bullet.

If you’re worried about those old hoopties breaking down, I could loan you my Chrysler or my rusty cargo van. Neither has ever broken down and if they did you just leave ‘em on the side of the road.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 167,419

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Posts: 39,264
    having the large incentives you qualify for certainly helps!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 3,535
    It goes to prove consistent preventive maintenance pays off.

2018 VW Passat w/tech, 2015 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

stickguy said:

having the large incentives you qualify for certainly helps!

The $5K from NJ puts it over the top..

Edmunds Moderator

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,523
    Michaell said:

Hey folks. I know we talked about this several months ago, but the wife and I are in the market for a new mattress. She thinks she wants to get a Tempur-pedic, but I can't remember what the feedback was from the Peanut gallery here.

Purple....swear by it. Had both Temperpedic and Sleep Number. Purple...hands down. 5 years old an no sag, and feels like the day I bought it.
    2019 Kia Stinger GT2
    Mrs kyfdx's next car. :D

Edmunds Moderator

Is there a bracket for a front plate?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michaell said:

Is there a bracket for a front plate?

I hope not!

Edmunds Moderator

There is a bracket for the front plate. It’s sitting on a shelf in my garage next to the front license plate bracket for the Supra.

• sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 497
    breld said:

So how my wife and I spent our Saturday will surprise exactly...no one.

What vehicle left?

2007 Miata PRHT, 2014 BMW 535d X-drive, 2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Ext. cab with 6.2 V-8

sb55 said:

breld said:

What vehicle left?
    We went with the consolidation plan and traded both the GLC and V90. Thus opening up a garage spot for the MINI.

breld said:

sb55 said:

breld said:

What vehicle left?
    We went with the consolidation plan and traded both the GLC and V90. Thus opening up a garage spot for the MINI.
    Time to update the signature line!

I was wondering why the Mini was in the garage.

good plan. won't last, but good plan.

what year is the Porsche? Miles?

is the Mini a stick? If so, maybe dibs? Though I should look for details on the Mrs. KY X3, since it will be on the market soon....

Few details on the transaction for those curious...
    • The Cayenne is equipped nicely for my tastes - Premium Package, handsome wheel upgrade without going too aggressive, Adaptive Cruise, Sport Chrono (really nice “bonus”), gloss black window trim.
    • 2019 base model with just under 15k miles. BtoB Warranty good through May 2023 and there’s a prepaid maintenance plan that will cover the next service (10k was already done).
    • Based on my research it seemed to be priced really well - certainly one of the cheapest 2019’s out there.
    • Initial trade offers on the GLC and V90 were solid, especially considering the ding on the GLC’s Carfax. But I countered asking for another $3k, basically asking for KBB “Very Good Condition” trade, and they accepted.

We had started out day at Carmax, as I wanted to get a straight buy bid on the GLC. They surprised me with an offer matching the Porsche’s dealership’s trade offer (though they ended up coming up a couple grand later). So, the option to simply sell the GLC to downsize was viable.

While we were there, I drove these two vehicles - each obviously very different but would serve our purpose in different ways.

sounds like a good deal all around. 1 more service, definitely won't need more than that (if you even make it there),

so, what is the wife adding to make up for the space in the driveway?

edited September 13
    I was hesitant to even take the time to drive the Explorer, thinking that it would take a lot to get me legitimately interested. But I can completely understand what attracted @akangl to it - the test drive was surprisingly impressive. It’s character reminded me a lot of the Durango R/T I owned, but with a much more updated look and interior. If I still felt the need for a larger mid-size SUV with a third row, I’d strongly consider the Explorer.

And if it were priced how I’d expect on 1 year old Ford, I may have been more tempted. But as it was, Carmax had it priced at a few thousand less than new.

The X3 M40i was also impressive, though that wasn’t necessarily surprising. Also not surprising - sort of felt like my Supra on stilts.

After driving these both contrasting examples, I realized I’d like the larger mid-size SUV but with the driving characteristics of the X3. So...Cayenne.

edited September 13
    Porsche Colorado Springs specializes in collectibles too. I won’t claim to know much about these models, but it was fun to browse. Shocking how much the price tag was on some of these classic models that were in need of some major attention/restoration.

stickguy said:

sounds like a good deal all around. 1 more service, definitely won't need more than that (if you even make it there),

so, what is the wife adding to make up for the space in the driveway?

No plan to add anything. You all seem to forget that we’ve been down to 3 cars for quite a while. My wife has never been comfortable having 2 cars for herself. The MINI was added knowing we’d be consolidating sooner or later - just thought it’d be more like next year.

And the MINI is an automatic - so you may not care to have any dibs! :)

nice color on the Cayenne. Is it mostly gray, or more blueish?

I actually like the Orange Cayenne in the background of one of the classic car shots. That is a neat color.

I do like your fleet now. If I do go down to 1 car now, ideally it would be something fun to add eventually. I doubt we will go back to 3 anytime soon, at least if neither of us starts commuting. Which is not happening. More likely, we move up north, and I get a fun car + a beater or (hopefully) a small PU to go with it for the winter.

Thanks @stickguy. I’d say the color is more blueish, but depending on the lighting it can get real muted.

With our move a year ago, kids getting older (and driving), my stepson being with his host home, and us working from home more, our driving needs have changed dramatically, allowing us to share the larger utility vehicle. That opens up options for the individual fun cars.

My wife did manage before with a MINI (and an older one at that) as her primary car, but it’s much easier to do so now. We’ll throw some snow tires on her hardtop and she should be good to go.

I worked from home anyway, but now that my wife does too, at least into next year, we really don't even need 2. If she goes back, it will probably be only 2 days/week for a while but entirely possible she stays FT WFH. But, if we do end up a 1 car family tomorrow, that will be a definite trigger for adding a 2nd car. Easy to share one during the week since she never goes out during the day now so I always have a car available. I don't think I would last long having a couple of days where there was not one available at all!

Opens up so many options for that second car!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 7,063
    My wife acknowledged this morning that she was really going to miss the i3 when the lease is up. I nearly fell off my chair - that’s the closest thing to a compliment I’ve received from her on one of my cars.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
    breld said:

And a few more pics of the Cayenne for anyone interested...

I’m not even a SUV guy and I like it.

• welcome back to Porsche :)
    breld said:

breld said:

Opens up so many options for that second car!

it does. I am looking forward to, well, looking! Though I have trouble coming up with a short list even when I have defined criteria. Being able to get absolutely anything does not help narrow it down.

@Breld love the new ride. Great color.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 14,272
    @breld - congrats on the Cayenne! Beautiful SUV!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,634
    Beautiful vehicle! Congratulations!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Congrats, @breld!

Out of curiosity, what was the net hit on the V90 lease?

Congrats, @breld!

I basically bought it for $49,123 (that was the cap cost with nothing down, MSRP was about $68k), had it for just over 10 months, and the Porsche dealer gave me $42,000 for it. Just over $700/month depreciation - not bad for me.

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,728
    @breld - love it, beautiful color!!

2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• fintailfintail Posts: 51,579
    I have to agree, great color on that Cayenne, I wish MB had something similar these days. Most modern blues are too dark.
    That’s really not bad of a hit, @breld. Within what I’d expect.

That’s really not bad of a hit, @breld. Within what I’d expect.

Thanks - I’ve done worse. :)

For that matter, the GLC wasn’t bad either - paid $47k for it about 8 months ago and they gave us the same $42k for it as the Volvo.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 14,272
    breld said:

Congrats, @breld!

I basically bought it for $49,123 (that was the cap cost with nothing down, MSRP was about $68k), had it for just over 10 months, and the Porsche dealer gave me $42,000 for it. Just over $700/month depreciation - not bad for me.

Just curious, what was your lease payment on the Volvo?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,130
    breld said:

I basically bought it for $49,123 (that was the cap cost with nothing down).

Was that total cap with all fees and taxes? I don't recall, did you trade anything during that deal? And was it $0 down or $0 DAS?
    breld said:

BtoB Warranty good through May 2023 and there’s a prepaid maintenance plan that will cover the next service (10k was already done).

LOL! The next owner will appreciate that. It is transferable, right?

Cayenne exterior is pretty. If it had a light interior, I might have been interested in a few months when it is time for you to change it out.

'07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

edited September 13
    Q, fixed that for you.

I might have been interested in a few months weeks when it is time for you to change it out.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,906
    Wife and I went to look at some possible future vehicles today.
    The one I was most interested in was gone, although on the lot a couple of weeks ago, a lost opportunity.
    I was ready to go after looking at a couple of other similar units.
    Couldn't find her and when I did, we had to look at just about everything on the lot other than full size pickups.
    The GT350 didn't interest her. :'(
    Later, I decided to do some online browsing.
    Found a CPO Explorer Sport that looked reasonably priced. Looked at the linked Carfax.
    Had damage on right side, right rear, rear, left rear and left side!
    Decided to check out Carmax.
    A local one I looked at had 3 outstanding recalls, at least 2 safety related.
    It said to take to a dealer to get them taken care of. Seems pretty unethical.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, TBD