Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

1225722582260226222632457

Comments

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 4,247
    ab348 said:

    VW just introduced the new VW Taos, a compact crossover. It sounds like it is essentially replacing the Golf in North America.

    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/10/2022-volkswagen-taos-vw-fills-another-crossover-niche/


    Another option for @Sandman6472 to consider. It appeals to me as well.

    The Taos looks good but I can’t help think it would be a let down after your two ATSs, which are wonderful cars.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,016
    Is the engine an interference engine? If so 100% replace it all.

    If not.... you could roll the dice IMO. No harm if it breaks just a tow and the same repair bill.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    I like it too. Looks like they basically replaced the prior generation Tiguan with it, since the current model got so much bigger. Looks to be a good size, and should be an interesting comparison to the upcoming redone Tucson.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    on the Sonata, I would vote for bringing it home before deciding. If you do decide to do the belt though, I always lean toward the "while you are in there" theory. Water pump, tensioner, and if they look iffy cam seals, etc. Even though the miles are low, the W.P. could be iffy just from sitting (rust?) Same with rubber parts.

    but, not worth much, and assuming it makes it back, not risking much just putting around town occasionally.

    one wrinkle, it does appear that the 2.7l V6 is an interference engine. So I guess the real question is, did I fire 5 bullets, or 6, and do you feel lucky?

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    another reason to wait until you get it back. an 1,100 mile shake down cruise should give you a pretty good idea of how good a car it is, and if anything else needs attention (and whether you really want to keep it). Hopefully you don't, however, learn it from the back of a tow truck.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,003
    sda said:


    The Taos looks good but I can’t help think it would be a let down after your two ATSs, which are wonderful cars.

    Well, I expect I'll be keeping it for a while yet. Right now my only beef with it are the OE tires that are on it for another few weeks until the snows go on. They are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A runflats and I absolutely hate them. They are twitchy and tramline over even mild ruts. Plus the low profile means that 3 of my rims have damage on the edges - I am dithering about whether to get them refinished over the winter when the other set of wheels/tires go on. The Bridgestones don't appear to be overly worn so I have a hard time replacing them so soon, but the car drives so much better with the winter Michelins on it.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    I showed the link on the Taos to my daughter (who has the Jetta). She said it was cute and she wants one.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 15,699
    Isn't the Tiguan basically a lifted Golf already?
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT, 2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1
  • corvettecorvette United StatesMember Posts: 8,411
    On the CarPlay receiver - if you can get a 3.5mm aux input, I did fine with that plus a Bluetooth play/pause/RW/FF remote in the Tahoe. Might be less of an investment.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    the old one pretty much was. The new one is more like a Jetta lifted wagon IMO. But, they are all on the same modular platform (one version or another).

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,104
    edited October 2020
    Michaell said:

    I know I've mentioned my mom's car on this thread before - 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6, with only 40K on it.

    My sister has taken possession of it and has had her local mechanic look things over. He proclaimed it was in pretty good condition.

    There were, however, a few issues that we felt was best handled by the dealer - the cruise control wasn't working, and there was a problem with the fuel filler neck that prevented gas from the nozzle to flow at a regular rate. The car is at the dealer now, and they are claiming that the timing belt needs to be replaced on top of the work we've already authorized.

    Dealer says it should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles, so technically, it should have been changed 3 times by now. They want to charge $795 for the work - but, this does not include replacing the water pump.

    My sister called her independent guy today, and he says that we he looked over the car a couple months back, he didn't see anything wrong with the belt that would require it to be replaced. When asked, he quoted $1000 for both the timing belt and water pump replacement.

    So, do we:
    1. Do nothing
    2. Replace the belt only
    3. Replace the belt and water pump

    At some point in the near future, I'm going to collect the car and bring it back to Colorado, and I'm leaning to either (1) or (3), but wanted to ping the expertise here at CCBA for your opinions. No comments along the lines of why we're investing so much into a car that's worth so little - that ship has sailed, and we're OK with spending the money to keep it running.

    Thanks!

    No question in my mind it needs to be done. Personally, I'd be afraid to drive it with rubber that old being the only thing keeping the valves from meeting violently with the pistons.

    And, yes, as others said, it is better to do it all at once since labor costs way more than the parts. $800-$1200 seems to be the going rate for most t-belt jobs. IMHO, it would be a good time for you to learn how to do it yourself. :)

    ‘21 Camaro LT1, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,104
    service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

    I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

    ‘21 Camaro LT1, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTMember Posts: 14,675
    qbrozen said:

    Michaell said:

    I know I've mentioned my mom's car on this thread before - 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6, with only 40K on it.

    My sister has taken possession of it and has had her local mechanic look things over. He proclaimed it was in pretty good condition.

    There were, however, a few issues that we felt was best handled by the dealer - the cruise control wasn't working, and there was a problem with the fuel filler neck that prevented gas from the nozzle to flow at a regular rate. The car is at the dealer now, and they are claiming that the timing belt needs to be replaced on top of the work we've already authorized.

    Dealer says it should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles, so technically, it should have been changed 3 times by now. They want to charge $795 for the work - but, this does not include replacing the water pump.

    My sister called her independent guy today, and he says that we he looked over the car a couple months back, he didn't see anything wrong with the belt that would require it to be replaced. When asked, he quoted $1000 for both the timing belt and water pump replacement.

    So, do we:
    1. Do nothing
    2. Replace the belt only
    3. Replace the belt and water pump

    At some point in the near future, I'm going to collect the car and bring it back to Colorado, and I'm leaning to either (1) or (3), but wanted to ping the expertise here at CCBA for your opinions. No comments along the lines of why we're investing so much into a car that's worth so little - that ship has sailed, and we're OK with spending the money to keep it running.

    Thanks!

    No question in my mind it needs to be done. Personally, I'd be afraid to drive it with rubber that old being the only thing keeping the valves from meeting violently with the pistons.

    And, yes, as others said, it is better to do it all at once since labor costs way more than the parts. $800-$1200 seems to be the going rate for most t-belt jobs. IMHO, it would be a good time for you to learn how to do it yourself. :)
    +1 - Do the belt & everything else “in there” before you take the 1,100 mile trip back to CO.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,090
    qbrozen said:

    service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

    I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

    Goodness, Could this be the beginning of the end?

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,090
    stickguy said:

    the old one pretty much was. The new one is more like a Jetta lifted wagon IMO. But, they are all on the same modular platform (one version or another).


    What became of the Jetta service bill?

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,104
    au1994 said:

    qbrozen said:

    service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

    I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

    Goodness, Could this be the beginning of the end?
    Heck, if anything, it is a signal to me to keep it because a new one without the warranty won’t last very long!

    ‘21 Camaro LT1, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,217
    edited October 2020
    I got the lifetime warranty on my wrangler JL for the same reason. I bought the warranty cheap from a dealership known to sell them cheap. I suspect that it will be worthwhile
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 17,846
    qbrozen said:

    service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

    I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

    Let me understand this, you have a lifetime warranty (through FCA I assume) and they are dragging their heels on paying for covered services?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,217
    I suspect that there vehicle service contract has a separate division and has separate accounting. I’m sure that is why they send an inspector
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 187,683

    qbrozen said:

    service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

    I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

    Let me understand this, you have a lifetime warranty (through FCA I assume) and they are dragging their heels on paying for covered services?
    Why does this surprise you? B)

    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    mjfloyd1 said:

    I suspect that there vehicle service contract has a separate division and has separate accounting. I’m sure that is why they send an inspector

    A combo of wanting to make sure stuff is actually needed (not trusting dealer) and likely looking for excuses to deny some of it anyway.

    Or they just have a rule that any job over $X.XX needs higher level approval.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    au1994 said:

    stickguy said:

    the old one pretty much was. The new one is more like a Jetta lifted wagon IMO. But, they are all on the same modular platform (one version or another).


    What became of the Jetta service bill?
    Oh yeah, forgot that update. Went back at lunch, found the guy and I pointed out hey goofed (politely, as promised to the princess.). I always start out sweet! He just said Oh, clicked a bit, took the charge off, and brought over new paperwork. I looked at it, wondered why price was still higher than normal, and figured out he never applied her coupon. So cashier goes back to his desk, the futz with it a bit, and she comes back with a final $ amount as expected. So kid pays, we leave.

    But proving I never learn my lesson, I didn’t read through the full work order until we got home. And discovered a technician note that they did not rotate the tires (something with wear on the rears) even though it was on the bill. So had to call the SA up and question that. Supposedly he is having a credit but through today, but based on how clueless he has been so far, I don’t expect to get it without more calls.

    I am more ticked off that even though she paid too dollar for dealer experts, the SA did not even point out they found an issue that might need attention. I doubt more than 5% of the customers would ever have read the work order like I did, and picked out the issue (it was buried in the rambling notes).

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,090
    stickguy said:

    au1994 said:

    stickguy said:

    the old one pretty much was. The new one is more like a Jetta lifted wagon IMO. But, they are all on the same modular platform (one version or another).


    What became of the Jetta service bill?
    Oh yeah, forgot that update. Went back at lunch, found the guy and I pointed out hey goofed (politely, as promised to the princess.). I always start out sweet! He just said Oh, clicked a bit, took the charge off, and brought over new paperwork. I looked at it, wondered why price was still higher than normal, and figured out he never applied her coupon. So cashier goes back to his desk, the futz with it a bit, and she comes back with a final $ amount as expected. So kid pays, we leave.

    But proving I never learn my lesson, I didn’t read through the full work order until we got home. And discovered a technician note that they did not rotate the tires (something with wear on the rears) even though it was on the bill. So had to call the SA up and question that. Supposedly he is having a credit but through today, but based on how clueless he has been so far, I don’t expect to get it without more calls.

    I am more ticked off that even though she paid too dollar for dealer experts, the SA did not even point out they found an issue that might need attention. I doubt more than 5% of the customers would ever have read the work order like I did, and picked out the issue (it was buried in the rambling notes).
    Sigh...It’s just never easy with car dealers sometimes. It’s one of the reasons I was always such a fan of leasing. Outside of the obvious getting to scratch the itch every 2-3 years, usually the only time I set foot in the dealer was a simple (free) oil change or once in a blue moon, warranty work.

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    Made me appreciate the 2015 Jetta. That was a lease, and they included 3 years maintenance so I never realized how expensive VW dealer service was.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTMember Posts: 14,675
    stickguy said:

    Made me appreciate the 2015 Jetta. That was a lease, and they included 3 years maintenance so I never realized how expensive VW dealer service was.

    Part of the reason I leased a 2011 BMW 328xi back in 2012. Leased for 30 months/20K per year (50K total). BMWs included scheduled maintenance back then. In 2 1/2 years, I got oil changes, inspection services, brake pads & rotors changed all on BMW's dime.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

  • tifightertifighter WAMember Posts: 2,813
    Another strategy is to eliminate most of the maintenance altogether.

    18 Tesla X Performance / 21 Tesla Y LR / 11 BMW Z4 6MT

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 4,247
    https://www.hendrickvwofconcord.com/used/Honda/2013-Honda-Accord-concord-nc-1a403adc0a0e0a6b1475e26229850bd4.htm

    Here is a link to the listing of my Accord. It served me well. I owned it for 7 years and 1 month, a record for me!

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,701
    Nice car. Interior pics look really good especially for that many years with light "ivory" interior. It will go quickly I think. Saw this line below: "$699.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price." That's like a 5% used car tax. :disappointed:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,090
    edited October 2020
    tifighter said:

    Another strategy is to eliminate most of the maintenance altogether.

    I had the same deal @nyccarguy describes on my ‘11 328 and I think my ‘13 as well.

    I wonder what % of lessee’s do absolutely no maintenance whatsoever, free or not?

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 4,247
    omarman said:

    Nice car. Interior pics look really good especially for that many years with light "ivory" interior. It will go quickly I think. Saw this line below: "$699.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price." That's like a 5% used car tax. :disappointed:

    Admin Fees are typical of most local dealers. They seem to range from $599-899, absurd. Car Max is even charging one though I think it is around $399, but their cars are always priced high.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 17,846
    stickguy said:

    Made me appreciate the 2015 Jetta. That was a lease, and they included 3 years maintenance so I never realized how expensive VW dealer service was.

    I can see why you might be a VW fan. Very robust cars apparently.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 17,846
    sda said:

    https://www.hendrickvwofconcord.com/used/Honda/2013-Honda-Accord-concord-nc-1a403adc0a0e0a6b1475e26229850bd4.htm

    Here is a link to the listing of my Accord. It served me well. I owned it for 7 years and 1 month, a record for me!

    Over $13k for a 100,000 mile car. I guess they do hold their value. That’s why I’ll probably never own a Honda, can’t afford them new, don’t want to pay the premium used. I’ll just keep trying to get 300k miles out if my domestic hoopties.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 17,846
    sda said:

    omarman said:

    Nice car. Interior pics look really good especially for that many years with light "ivory" interior. It will go quickly I think. Saw this line below: "$699.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price." That's like a 5% used car tax. :disappointed:

    Admin Fees are typical of most local dealers. They seem to range from $599-899, absurd. Car Max is even charging one though I think it is around $399, but their cars are always priced high.
    In NY it’s limited to $75. That’s why you don’t see lower advertised prices in the ads. I was all set to go shopping in CT based on ads until I found out they had something like $500 doc fees which negated the lower advertised prices.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTMember Posts: 14,675

    sda said:

    omarman said:

    Nice car. Interior pics look really good especially for that many years with light "ivory" interior. It will go quickly I think. Saw this line below: "$699.00 Dealer Administrative Charge is not included in advertised price." That's like a 5% used car tax. :disappointed:

    Admin Fees are typical of most local dealers. They seem to range from $599-899, absurd. Car Max is even charging one though I think it is around $399, but their cars are always priced high.
    In NY it’s limited to $75. That’s why you don’t see lower advertised prices in the ads. I was all set to go shopping in CT based on ads until I found out they had something like $500 doc fees which negated the lower advertised prices.
    CT & NJ both have high "doc fees." In CT we are fancy and call them "conveyance fees."

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,090
    One of the Porsche dealers here touts the deals on their ‘previously enjoyed’ inventory. I haven’t checked but they probably have large ‘conveyance fees’ on those.

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,427
    stickguy said:

    mjfloyd1 said:

    I suspect that there vehicle service contract has a separate division and has separate accounting. I’m sure that is why they send an inspector

    A combo of wanting to make sure stuff is actually needed (not trusting dealer) and likely looking for excuses to deny some of it anyway.

    Or they just have a rule that any job over $X.XX needs higher level approval.
    I'd say it's more "manufacture an excuse" than lack of trusting the dealership. It also delays the repairs and payments quite nicely.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,427
    qbrozen said:

    service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

    I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

    They gave you a free loaner???
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,427
    Apparently Arizona allows up to $500 "documents" fees. And here I thought $80 was a ripoff in California.

    I think a law should be passed that only the government gets to charge fees and taxes, and that businesses be forced to include all of their fees in the asking price.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTMember Posts: 14,675
    I've said before, as long as the bottom line is cheaper, I don't care what the doc fee is. I can't stand when a dealer makes it sound like they are charging it as a right of passage. "We have to charge it, it is pre printed on the bill of sale" I always politely say no, you don't HAVE to charge it, but if you choose to charge a doc fee, then you MUST charge it to everyone.

    When I bought my Legacy, the dealer closer to my house in CT (which is a different distributor, Subaru of New England) had a $299 or $399 Conveyance Fee. The dealer 15 minutes down I-95 (in New York) only charged a $75 doc fee. The CT dealer had a lower selling price, but after I netted out everything the NY dealer came out to $100 cheaper (on the nose). I went back to the CT dealer and asked him to lower his selling price by $100. He asked why. I explained. His answer was: "Well I don't see the problem. We ARE selling you the car cheaper than the other dealer, but we HAVE to charge the Conveyance Fee." I thanked him for his time and went to NY to buy the car.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,104
    andres3 said:

    qbrozen said:

    service advisor called today. Apparently the van will be there for quite some time. Because it is a $4k job, FCA is sending an inspector. That will take a day or two, and then the inspector's report and decision is another 4-5 days. Lovely.

    I celebrated the news by taking the Pac out for a ... spirited ... drive to the pharmacy. It definitely has decent power, has more gears, is quite a bit lighter than our van, and has a lower center of gravity, so it can translate it into forward momentum more effectively. That's about it for positives.

    They gave you a free loaner???
    It is actually a rental! They are paying for it. They have a deal with the local Enterprise. And my lifetime warranty includes a loaner, sooo...

    I do have to pay $5/day, though, for taxes or some such fee.

    ‘21 Camaro LT1, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,104
    mjfloyd1 said:

    I got the lifetime warranty on my wrangler JL for the same reason. I bought the warranty cheap from a dealership known to sell them cheap. I suspect that it will be worthwhile

    Is yours the Maximum Care? When did you get it? I thought I read they stopped offering lifetime. What did it run you?

    I did find it cheaper from an online dealer, so I got our dealer to drop the price. I think he was $3k-$3200, IIRC. Online was like $2199. Said he couldn’t go that low BUT getting it with him allowed rolling into the 1.9% financing.

    ‘21 Camaro LT1, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,427
    edited October 2020
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/304gVEYg/2012-volvo-s60-t6-awd-r-design

    I like the color, and it's not far from me, but is it fast? Will it fall apart and need monthly care?

    What about this as my FIRST BMW in life? https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9nqWpb8B/2000-bmw-m5

    Any pitfalls? What should it sell at?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,016
    So, I couldn't help myself....

    I get a text from the dealer I bought the Enclave from. Typical type of solicitation. I'm eligible for pull ahead, incredible October incentives, etc, etc

    So I said sure... quote me on a fully loaded Enclave @ 36/10. They only have four in stock, so I can only imagine how bad this quote will be.

    No intention of buying until after we close on the house, but with everything going on I can use some entertainment right now.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • ventureventure Central PAMember Posts: 2,074
    nyccarguy said:

    I've said before, as long as the bottom line is cheaper, I don't care what the doc fee is. I can't stand when a dealer makes it sound like they are charging it as a right of passage. "We have to charge it, it is pre printed on the bill of sale" I always politely say no, you don't HAVE to charge it, but if you choose to charge a doc fee, then you MUST charge it to everyone.

    I'm not sure that is true. At least in Pennsylvania.

    I looked up the law on doc fees one time and it is a negotiable fee and it is not allowed to be pre-printed on the form.

    I know the upper limit has changed since then, but I doubt the rest has changed.

    Oh yeah. I always ask how much the doc fee is when I'm in F&I just to poke them a little. They always say it's the law that they must charge the upper limit. The sad part is, most of them probably think that's true.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,217
    edited October 2020
    qbrozen said:

    mjfloyd1 said:

    I got the lifetime warranty on my wrangler JL for the same reason. I bought the warranty cheap from a dealership known to sell them cheap. I suspect that it will be worthwhile

    Is yours the Maximum Care? When did you get it? I thought I read they stopped offering lifetime. What did it run you?

    I did find it cheaper from an online dealer, so I got our dealer to drop the price. I think he was $3k-$3200, IIRC. Online was like $2199. Said he couldn’t go that low BUT getting it with him allowed rolling into the 1.9% financing.
    bought 8/2018 -Hayes in Kalamazoo MI. I think they stopped offering it shortly after I bought it. . Lifetime maximum care with $100 deductible was $2745. Jeep dealership where I bought Wrangler said that was dealer cost
  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,090
    tjc78 said:

    So, I couldn't help myself....

    I get a text from the dealer I bought the Enclave from. Typical type of solicitation. I'm eligible for pull ahead, incredible October incentives, etc, etc

    So I said sure... quote me on a fully loaded Enclave @ 36/10. They only have four in stock, so I can only imagine how bad this quote will be.

    No intention of buying until after we close on the house, but with everything going on I can use some entertainment right now.

    When do you close? You’ve obviously got the upper hand in negotiation since you don’t have to do anything right now. Counter with something ridiculously low. It’s 2020, you never know what may be accepted.

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 41,722
    andres3 said:

    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/304gVEYg/2012-volvo-s60-t6-awd-r-design

    I like the color, and it's not far from me, but is it fast? Will it fall apart and need monthly care?

    What about this as my FIRST BMW in life? https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9nqWpb8B/2000-bmw-m5

    Any pitfalls? What should it sell at?

    Volvo is nice. I like that. But, 8 YO, complicated, highish miles. It will not be cheap to keep. Fast? Yes, unless your bar is ZL1 being acceptable, anything else too slow.

    That M5, would not recommend as your first BMW. Or at all, unless you had a full workshop and training as a BMW tech, all their tools, and plenty of money for parts. Personally, I would not touch any BMW V8. Though they are better than the V10!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • corvettecorvette United StatesMember Posts: 8,411
    I guess it's a moot point since they no longer offer the lifetime warranty as an option, but I wonder what they did if someone bought a car and the lifetime warranty and discovered they hated it a couple of months later--does the warranty and the money paid for it just vanish into thin air since it's not transferable?
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,016
    au1994 said:

    tjc78 said:

    So, I couldn't help myself....

    I get a text from the dealer I bought the Enclave from. Typical type of solicitation. I'm eligible for pull ahead, incredible October incentives, etc, etc

    So I said sure... quote me on a fully loaded Enclave @ 36/10. They only have four in stock, so I can only imagine how bad this quote will be.

    No intention of buying until after we close on the house, but with everything going on I can use some entertainment right now.

    When do you close? You’ve obviously got the upper hand in negotiation since you don’t have to do anything right now. Counter with something ridiculously low. It’s 2020, you never know what may be accepted.
    So they quoted a 60K Enclave Avenir at $847 a month with zero DAS.

    That’s seriously funny stuff right there. That must include a free Encore lease as well.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,104
    corvette said:

    I guess it's a moot point since they no longer offer the lifetime warranty as an option, but I wonder what they did if someone bought a car and the lifetime warranty and discovered they hated it a couple of months later--does the warranty and the money paid for it just vanish into thin air since it's not transferable?

    No. It was refundable to a point.

    ‘21 Camaro LT1, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

Sign In or Register to comment.