Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

at 10.5 months got my first oil change today. At 4,400 miles. And that is with only have 1 car sine mid-September.

Sandy, the Seltos must look bigger than it really is. Because the Seltos and Corolla hatch are both exactly 172" long. And the Kia is only .4" (70.5 vs. 70.9) wider than the Toyota. Much taller though of course, and higher seating position.

I just realized that the XC hasn’t been started or left the garage in 3 weeks. It still hasn’t hit 900 miles. I know we will use it more once the campground opens but that is still two months away.

Wife’s work place isn’t even discussing any plans to return to the office until April. In all reality I should have waited to replace the Enclave.

@Sandman6472
    I admire your restraint. It’s a trait I haven’t mastered... most times if we want it and can afford it, we buy it.
    Home till April as well and I can honestly think of only one time since September that we needed 2 cars. Does 2 make it easier? Sure, but not an absolute requirement. I’m not regretting the LC purchase, just probably could have done something a little different like going newer on the larger SUV and me making due with the X1 for another minute or dumping it for a cheap compact. The kiddo turns 16 in a year and will need wheels. He’s not a fan of the LC, too big and not enough tech. We’ve talked about giving him the X1 but thats the only vehicle he’s getting from us and I’m a little scared of maintenance through college on a BMW.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

stickguy said:

Isn’t that pipeline still being built? Cancelling it shouldn’t matter right now.

As I understand it the permits needed to complete it were withdrawn so construction can’t continue. Nevertheless, the implication of that could panic the market resulting in market fluctuations.

Just think of the toilet paper shortage caused by rumors of a toilet paper shortage.

Is that what’s causing prices to rise? I don’t know, I’m just some guy on the internet. :)
    That pipeline isn’t as clean as they try to say it will be. Plus, it would put truckers out of work.

It’s really a non-starter, though. Why build out for more oil when the demand has dropped, and will continue to drop.

GM just announced their plans to be totally electrified by 2030. I would imagine others will follow suit. Costco RUG around me is $2/gal. PUG is $2.50/gal.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I admit ignorance on this subject as I haven’t done any real research. With the focus towards electric cars and away from combustion engines, will the power grid be able to support this? I imagine more power plants will have to go online and they will be fueled by what source?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    I would be hesitant to buy an all electric vehicle if I lived in Southern California with all their current brown-outs and problems with Pacific G&E.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Not a great color, but being an 80s kid I always liked these. I can’t tell you the last time I’ve seen one in person.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-chrysler-conquest-10/

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652

Yep, those two things made it look bigger in person. I guess if my wife hadn't proclaimed how big it was, I would be more receptive of it. And for the model I'd want, it has AWD, something not needed here in South Florida. I just fear another "Tucson incident" if I went in that direction.
    Was back up at the West Palm Mini store this morning but my light colored CountrymanS was nowhere to be found. Guessing it was loaned out for the day. But did ask a sales guy if their loaners do go up for sale and he said yes. And I really did prefer that color combo to be honest. A white roof over a light gray body with white stripes on the hood. Think the paint was pearlized but it was a truly stunning vehicle. Much more than the charcoal one near our house. And if it has the HK audio system with Sirius/XM, who knows...it might get me to spend a bit over my comfort zone if all the stars align. And it truly stopped me in my tracks when I first saw it...it's like time stood still for that moment in time! Just took my breath away.

Sometimes a particular color just speaks to you and makes the car look so much better.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

Isn’t that pipeline still being built? Cancelling it shouldn’t matter right now.

As I understand it the permits needed to complete it were withdrawn so construction can’t continue. Nevertheless, the implication of that could panic the market resulting in market fluctuations.

Just think of the toilet paper shortage caused by rumors of a toilet paper shortage.

Is that what’s causing prices to rise? I don’t know, I’m just some guy on the internet. :)
    That pipeline isn’t as clean as they try to say it will be. Plus, it would put truckers out of work.

It’s really a non-starter, though. Why build out for more oil when the demand has dropped, and will continue to drop.

GM just announced their plans to be totally electrified by 2030. I would imagine others will follow suit. Costco RUG around me is $2/gal. PUG is $2.50/gal.
    There are unintended costs for any kind of energy source. There’s a lot of pollution involved in tar sand oil which is what that pipeline was designed to carry. As it stands they say the oil will be transferred to tank trains just like the North Dakota oil. It will make billionaires like Warren Buffet another billion and the oil will still flow.

As to electric cars I find it odd that no one is screaming about the environmental cost of mining rare earths required for battery production or the cost of battery disposal. Is one form of energy worse than the other, who knows? There’s no free lunch either way.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tjc78 said:

Not a great color, but being an 80s kid I always liked these. I can’t tell you the last time I’ve seen one in person.

Look for Mitsubishi Starions. Same car.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    sda said:

I admit ignorance on this subject as I haven’t done any real research. With the focus towards electric cars and away from combustion engines, will the power grid be able to support this? I imagine more power plants will have to go online and they will be fueled by what source?

One article I read stated that when production and power generation is taken into account an ICE car only emits 3 tons more CO2 over its operating life than does an EV.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I keep going back and forth between an M2 Comp and a Supra 3.0. I’m glad that I’m not forced to make the call any time soon. A local dealer wants me to come look at a decently optioned 2019 Bullitt, but I don’t think it’s worth the trip. While it’s at least $10k than the other two I’m afraid that I’d be all too ready to flip it after six months or so.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I don’t think you’ll be happy. The other two are better choices for you.

tjc78 said:

Look for Mitsubishi Starions. Same car.
    Don’t see those either!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940

sda said:

One article I read stated that when production and power generation is taken into account an ICE car only emits 3 tons more CO2 over its operating life than does an EV.
    But how was the power generated? That makes all the difference.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I keep going back and forth between an M2 Comp and a Supra 3.0. I’m glad that I’m not forced to make the call any time soon. A local dealer wants me to come look at a decently optioned 2019 Bullitt, but I don’t think it’s worth the trip. While it’s at least $10k than the other two I’m afraid that I’d be all too ready to flip it after six months or so.

Short lease? Didn’t you try a Mustang on the track and find that it was unsuited to the kind of driving you planned? Maybe just find one to rent. :(

qbrozen said:

sda said:

True, the thing is, there's not enough electricity being generated today to even cover a US fleet that's 33% EV. The Greenies have killed nuclear power in the US and wind and solar can't bridge the gap.

Short lease? Didn’t you try a Mustang on the track and find that it was unsuited to the kind of driving you planned? Maybe just find one to rent. :(
    I looked at a Performance Package 2 car, but the issue was that the car stickered for over $50k yet needed a differential cooler added to allow it to complete more than one lap without the differential overheating.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Electricity generation is always matched to consumption, because electricity can't be stored (yet). If/when higher consumption occurs, you can guarantee that generation will be provided to match.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I looked at a Performance Package 2 car, but the issue was that the car stickered for over $50k yet needed a differential cooler added to allow it to complete more than one lap without the differential overheating.
    Steve didn’t seem to mind.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    kyfdx said:

Electricity generation is always matched to consumption, because electricity can't be stored (yet). If/when higher consumption occurs, you can guarantee that generation will be provided to match.

well, they can only ramp it up a certain amount, especially ST. And there are definitely parts of this country where the electrical grid is woefully inadequate. RB makes a good point, losing Nuclear hurts capacity. But, just something that needs to be addressed at a national level. Figure out how to generate more (turning many more buildings self-sustaining with solar certainly will hep there, and there are other interesting new technologies), and of course, anything that reduces demand will help to offset more charging needs for EVs.

one good thing about EVs is that much of the charging is going to be overnight. Especially personal use cars that often charge when people are sleeping, and demand is lower. Just don't charge during peak hours during a heat wave!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited January 2021
    sda said:

Agreed that the power grid will be pushed hard to support a vehicle fleet that even approaches a majority-electric slant. As for power plants, even if the generators use fossil fuels to produce electricity, these will still be vastly more efficient than refining, transporting, and burning in vehicles.

I think the most poignant issues that need to be addressed:

1. The humanitarian and environmental issues of rare earth mineral mining.
    2. Battery inter-compatibility.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited January 2021
    A quick update on my wife's status in Ohio....

She finally received the license plates for the Crosstrek and put those on it Friday. She also told me that the rear wiper blade on the car mysteriously went missing... it was there one day, then the next day when she tried to use the rear wiper, there was nothing but a nasty scraping noise across the glass. The blade was just gone. :(

Is it a "thing" for people to steal those? I went ahead and sent her a couple more rear blades along with a new set for the front (when she needs them - the dealer put new front blades on it before delivering), and I included a new set of headlight bulbs in the box because, Subaru. :D

We closed on the house on Friday, so she will likely start moving in there after the first week of February.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    Probably not remotely the same part, but I've knocked the rear blade off the arm on the wagon probably a dozen times - I lift it when cleaning the perpetually dirty rear window, and if I bump it at the right angle, the blade just comes off. Not broken, I can pop it back in easily, but maybe not attached as securely as it could be. Maybe somehow it just got a bump at the right spot, and popped off.
    xwesx said:

She finally received the license plates for the Crosstrek and put those on it Friday. She also told me that the rear wiper blade on the car mysteriously went missing... it was there one day, then the next day when she tried to use the rear wiper, there was nothing but a nasty scraping noise across the glass. The blade was just gone. :(

Is it a "thing" for people to steal those? I went ahead and sent her a couple more rear blades along with a new set for the front (when she needs them - the dealer put new front blades on it before delivering), and I included a new set of headlight bulbs in the box because, Subaru. :D

We closed on the house on Friday, so she will likely start moving in there after the first week of February.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    This is a bit lengthy, but confirmed that relying on a "low oil pressure" warning light to let you know when the oil level is low means that you probably have less than a half quart left when it illuminates. Can't believe it ran that well when it had to be slurping only a few drops here and there from the sump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzoRIsXtY3M
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I, we've, always lived under our means and taught the kids to do the same. Sure, I'd love to swap out my personal vehicle a lot more than I do but just don't. And I've actually liked most of the vehicles I've owned minus a couple. My "Tucson incident" a few years back really did a number on me to be honest. And it's still lurking in the back of my mind, decision wise. Really the first time I jumped on the wrong vehicle, and I knew it very early on to. And when I got into the Golf, within a few minutes, I just knew I had found my next ride. But again, I played the "angel on my left, devil on my right" game as I call it. Basically I just made a "pro" list and a "con" list and it made my decision so much easier. A week to the day later, went back for another test drive and after some back & forth, did the deal. Best thing I did was get a buy quote from CarMax as the VW store matched it thus saving me a thousand bucks. I know when I'll get serious about buying the next ride...after I've gone to CarMax to get their buy quote! Just not there yet. But as close as I've been since I bought the Golf.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @xwesx,
    Had a similar problem to fintail with my wife's MKC.
    Replaced the rear wiper but the blade kept falling off.
    Finally got it installed correctly, but prior to that it seemed to be secure, but it wasn't.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited January 2021
    qbrozen said:

sda said:

According to a very informative article at American Thinker the cost of electricity from a coal or gas fired plant is about $15 per MWh. In contrast the the cost for solar or wind power is more like $80 per MWh.
    Government subsidies (They call it "Investment" but we will wind up paying one way or another) lessen the difference but obviously the move away from fossil fuels will be expensive.

I live on Long Island, NY and they are now going forward with a contract to install wind turbines many miles off the south shore. Cost: $4.5 Billion as of now and probably triple that when done. I don't have to be a genius to predict that rates will go up substantially. Our electricity cost is already double that of other parts of the country and this will only hasten the exodus out of this state.

Meanwhile China will continue building hundreds of coal fired plants in their country and around the world well into the future,while we and others handcuff our economies ultimately ensuring China's world domination.
    The irony is that all of these measures will have little or no effect on the climate.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874

@xwesx,
    Had a similar problem to fintail with my wife's MKC.
    Replaced the rear wiper but the blade kept falling off.
    Finally got it installed correctly, but prior to that it seemed to be secure, but it wasn't.

Me too. I can do a lot of things, but installing wiper blades is not one of them for some reason. I put a set on my wife's prior Forester and the next time it rained one went flying off the car.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that rear window wiper blades were often model-specific and not something you could just buy off the rack, and hence were rather spendy to replace.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874
    xwesx said:

Wiper blades are included in the warranty for Subaru's. At least they used to be. I had a set on one of my Subaru's replaced at no cost. Whether they will replace it because it is missing, I don't know. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

tjc78 said:

Always thought those were cool.
    My son came out of work, one evening, and both of the wiper blades were gone off the Tacoma.

Good wiper blades go for $50-$60 per pair, so I'm not surprised.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

There are unintended costs for any kind of energy source. There’s a lot of pollution involved in tar sand oil which is what that pipeline was designed to carry. As it stands they say the oil will be transferred to tank trains just like the North Dakota oil. It will make billionaires like Warren Buffet another billion and the oil will still flow.

As to electric cars I find it odd that no one is screaming about the environmental cost of mining rare earths required for battery production or the cost of battery disposal. Is one form of energy worse than the other, who knows? There’s no free lunch either way.
    I do believe that there will be a highly competitive market on all energy sources for vehicles in the next decade, regardless of source. Bottom line, oil is considered “dirty” energy (just like coal, but that’s not car related). As such, oil’s demand will continue to drop.

Said it before, if I were BP or Dutch Petroleum (Shell) etc, I would be looking at reworking my business model right now. I still remember the pictures of oil spewing in the blue waters outside of the gulf at BP’s Deepwater Horizon pipe burst, as well as the Exxon Valdez spill. Oil as an energy source isn’t going to make a comeback.
    corvette said:

This is a bit lengthy, but confirmed that relying on a "low oil pressure" warning light to let you know when the oil level is low means that you probably have less than a half quart left when it illuminates. Can't believe it ran that well when it had to be slurping only a few drops here and there from the sump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzoRIsXtY3M

Some older engines could go a long time without oil. My younger son had an 88’ Plymouth Reliant with the 2.2 I think. He ran over something and tore the oil pan open. He drove almost all the way home 10+ miles before the engine stalled. Still cranked the next day but since it was a $100 car it wasn’t worth replacing the pan and we junked it.

kyfdx said:

My son came out of work, one evening, and both of the wiper blades were gone off the Tacoma.

Somebody didn’t want to spend 20 bucks at Autozone?

kyfdx said:

Somebody didn’t want to spend 20 bucks at Autozone?
    Evidently not. Plus, $20 won't buy even one blade for a good brand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I just spent $30 for two Bosch mid-level quality wipers for the TL. They work fine. I did notice it took more effort to seat them in the wiper arm. A couple of times I thought they were seated but I didn’t feel or hear the click of them locking in place. Good thing I checked as they came right off.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @roadburner -

If you go with the M2 Comp, are you definitely seeking a manual, or are you open to the DCT?

My guess is you’ll end up with the BMW - saying you’re a “BMW guy” is a vast understatement, and the M2 Comp seems to be about the only modern BMW that captures the classic BMW feel. I would think the manual (if you go that route) and S55 will differentiate it enough from your m235i.

But I hope you get a chance to at least try out the Supra. It’d be fun to hear your impressions.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @breld,
    So you were more patient with that Porsche than usual. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    @mjfloyd - how are you liking the X3?

I’m really enjoying mine. There was a few days there where I was feeling a little remorse over the Cayenne, missing some of its finer attributes that you’d expect from a more expensive vehicle (the plushness, the feel of the interior, etc.).

But I am really appreciating the increased agility and maneuverability of the X3’s size. I’ve been drawn to the larger SUVs for years now, mostly out of true need with the kids, but now that it’s fairly rare I even use the rear seats, I’m finding the X3 to be a “just right” size.

I haven’t driven an M340i, but it seems to me the X3 M40i mimics that experience relatively well while having the SUV attributes of the higher seating position and hatch.

So while I don’t like the driveway being taken up be extra cars, it is nice that...

Friday, I took the cars to the car wash, so I got to drive the wife’s MINI JCW.

Yesterday, we went to breakfast so I drove the X3. I then ran some errands on my own so took out the Supra for a couple hours. Then later my wife forgot a couple items at the grocery store so I made a quick run in the Leaf.

Hard to find any reason to go car browsing really (though I still find reasons).

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    heck, I would be happy to just come browsing on your driveway. Would be a full day's activity.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

breld said:

So while I don’t like the driveway being taken up be extra cars, it is nice that...

Yesterday, we went to breakfast so I drove the X3. I then ran some errands on my own so took out the Supra for a couple hours. Then later my wife forgot a couple items at the grocery store so I made a quick run in the Leaf.

Hard to find any reason to go car browsing really (though I still find reasons).

That’s a nice stable. I wish I could use my whole fleet year round. Don’t they use road salt where you are.

My only thrill will be to do my monthly battery charge run in the driveway for two of them.

greg128 said:

qbrozen said:

sda said:

According to an a very informative article at American Thinker the cost of electricity from a coal or gas fired plant is about $15 per MGW. In contrast the the cost for solar or wind power is more like $80 per MGW.
    Government subsidies (They call it "Investment" but we will wind up paying one way or another) lessen the difference but obviously the move away from fossil fuels will be expensive.

I live on Long Island, NY and they are now going forward with a contract to install wind turbines many miles off the south shore. Cost: $4.5 Billion as of now and probably triple that when done. I don't have to be a genius to predict that rates will go up substantially. Our electricity cost is already double that of other parts of the country and this will only hasten the exodus out of this state.

Meanwhile China will continue building hundreds of coal fired plants in their country and around the world well into the future,while we and others handcuff our economies ultimately ensuring China's world domination.
    The irony is that all of these measures will have little or no effect on the climate.
    Ok, before I look at the math here, you are going to have to tell me what the heck an MGW is. I’m thinking you mean MW, but that wouldn’t make sense from a cost perspective since it is missing a unit of time.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited January 2021
    qbrozen said:

greg128 said:

qbrozen said:

sda said:

According to an a very informative article at American Thinker the cost of electricity from a coal or gas fired plant is about $15 per MGW. In contrast the the cost for solar or wind power is more like $80 per MGW.

Ok, before I look at the math here, you are going to have to tell me what the heck an MGW is. I’m thinking you mean MW, but that wouldn’t make sense from a cost perspective since it is missing a unit of time.
    Sorry should have been unit of energy Megawatt hours or MWh
    breld said:

@roadburner -

If you go with the M2 Comp, are you definitely seeking a manual, or are you open to the DCT?

My guess is you’ll end up with the BMW - saying you’re a “BMW guy” is a vast understatement, and the M2 Comp seems to be about the only modern BMW that captures the classic BMW feel. I would think the manual (if you go that route) and S55 will differentiate it enough from your m235i.

But I hope you get a chance to at least try out the Supra. It’d be fun to hear your impressions.

I’d definitely prefer the manual, but transmission choice is the only borderline negotiable item. Color(Hockenheim Silver or Sunset Orange), the Executive Package, and a slick top aren’t open to discussion.

My son can drive a stick but he doesn’t feel comfortable driving on the track with one, so a DCT would let us share a car at a HPDE.

I’ve mentioned it before, but the SPL311 is the only two seat sports car I’ve owned, so the Supra would be an interesting change of pace from my usual sedans and coupes.

One wild card that has popped up is the F82 M4; if a nice Competition turned up I’d be interested.

breld said:

My fleet isn’t as entertaining, but I do enjoy being able to change things up. I try to drive the 2er and Jeep several times per week- ditto for the Club Sport if there’s no salt.

greg128 said:

qbrozen said:

greg128 said:

qbrozen said:

sda said:

Sorry should have been unit of energy Megawatt hours or MWh
    Ok. And what did they base the math on? So, let’s see... if I assume my solar panels last the low average of 25 yrs, and they average 18 MWh per year, and I exclude all tax benefits and SREC sales, it would come to ~$170/MWh. So I suppose they are calculating based on purely cost of materials and expected average lifespan? Is that about right?

What I then also wonder is how you’d go about calculating natural resources costs. The way I’d think is you’d have to factor in the cost of materials but also the cost of finding the resource and the ongoing mining of the resource. Lots more labor, cost of land, etc. PLUS, you have to keep starting over when a new location is discovered and you’ve exhausted your current location. I wonder if that was taken into consideration. I’d think not since it is probably damned near impossible to predict.

fintail said:

Probably not remotely the same part, but I've knocked the rear blade off the arm on the wagon probably a dozen times - I lift it when cleaning the perpetually dirty rear window, and if I bump it at the right angle, the blade just comes off. Not broken, I can pop it back in easily, but maybe not attached as securely as it could be. Maybe somehow it just got a bump at the right spot, and popped off.

I thought perhaps that might be. I have had this happen at the automatic car wash before (only once), but those things have a lot of force in their brushes. I have also separated them when the blade is frozen to the glass, and I just lift up like I do any other time. I was only surprised that hers went AWOL without any of those things happening and her not noticing if it was something she did directly. Who can say..... one of life's mysteries!
    kyfdx said:

Yeah, seeing how some folks live (read, budget), auto maintenance is something that doesn't even register on the radar. $60 for wipers? Oh, I'm sure I can find some "somewhere" for less than that.... :disappointed: