Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

1234523462348235023512386

Comments

  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 180,471
    corvette said:

    I read that the IRS is delaying accepting filing of 2020 tax returns. Could delay the typical "tax refund" bump in used car prices. I don't keep my finger on the pulse as much as some others here--are prices returning to pre-COVID levels yet?

    Generally, you can't get a return accepted through TurboTax until close to February 1st. They are always updating the forms, right up until the last minute.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    I never have all my forms until late January/early February anyway, so usually get the taxes done around 2/15. But got a notice from Vanguard that they would possibly be issuing 2 statements because they consolidated/changed how they handled the brokerage account, so might get 1 before and one after. And the after would not be out until late February. And I really don't want to have to do an amended filing again.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 15,414
    Took the 2017 Explorer Limited for a test drive today.
    It looks great and has a lot of good features.
    It did not ride well, has non original Kelly tires.
    Hated the running boards, got in my way stepping out.
    Brakes seemed a bit squishy.
    These are all fixable.
    However, the seat was worn in in a way that was not comfortable, so probably can't be fixed.
    Dealership was great, vehicle was out front when I arrived, although salesman I talked to originally wasn't there.
    They didn't even ask for any ID before letting me drive it(had a full tank of gas!).
    Also, they offered to let me take it overnight, if I wanted to.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT, 2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    sounds like too many concerns to want to get into bed with it. especially if it isn't an absolute killer deal.

    Plenty of other fish in the sea!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 17,276
    stickguy said:

    Do new cars all have low oil warning lights now? Seems like something that really should be standard. Obviously BMW must since they don't have dipsticks! Yes, people should check their oil more often but we all know that is a lost art. Plus, if something happens leading to a sudden drop, you may catch it too late. I check mine based on how fast it uses (after getting a baseline), so if that is normally say 3K miles or more, probably would not catch it if the car suddenly dropped a bunch in only 1,000 miles.

    If the oil gets low enough in any car the oil light should come on.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 11,693

    stickguy said:

    I like helping old people. Good way of pretending that I am not one of them.

    I like helping young people too. Friday I was trying to order pizza and the girl taking the order was obviously brand new and wasn’t sure how to take the order. I had to repeat things two or three times. She finally said almost tearfully “this is my first day and I’m having a terrible time”. I assured her she was doing fine.

    When I got my order I tipped her $50 and told her we all have tough days and that things would get better. Her eyes lit up and she said “this just turned into my best day ever!”.

    I wish somebody had done that for me when I was 16 at my first job.
    Wow what a nice gesture.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 17,276

    Took the 2017 Explorer Limited for a test drive today.
    It looks great and has a lot of good features.
    It did not ride well, has non original Kelly tires.
    Hated the running boards, got in my way stepping out.
    Brakes seemed a bit squishy.
    These are all fixable.
    However, the seat was worn in in a way that was not comfortable, so probably can't be fixed.
    Dealership was great, vehicle was out front when I arrived, although salesman I talked to originally wasn't there.
    They didn't even ask for any ID before letting me drive it(had a full tank of gas!).
    Also, they offered to let me take it overnight, if I wanted to.

    Worn seat on a car that new doesn’t sound good.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849

    stickguy said:

    Do new cars all have low oil warning lights now? Seems like something that really should be standard. Obviously BMW must since they don't have dipsticks! Yes, people should check their oil more often but we all know that is a lost art. Plus, if something happens leading to a sudden drop, you may catch it too late. I check mine based on how fast it uses (after getting a baseline), so if that is normally say 3K miles or more, probably would not catch it if the car suddenly dropped a bunch in only 1,000 miles.

    If the oil gets low enough in any car the oil light should come on.
    that's the pressure light. usually that just means you are about to have no engine. I just want a light that says "you are down a quart, put oil in"

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 8,188
    Apparently the Tundra takes 9 quarts in the non-direct-injected 5.7l V8, which may partially explain why they are known for their longevity, even on 10,000 mile factory specified OCIs.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 8,188
    Also, I spread the Toyota truck lease love to a colleague who isn’t on here last week. We were talking about cars and how we don’t keep them more than a couple of years (check), and he mentioned being ready for something else and looking at an older Sequoia, and I was like “hold up, have you considered leasing a Tacoma or Tundra? Let me send you a link.”
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 14,503


    At a gas station I noticed a lady having problems airing up the tires on her car. I offered to help. I got out my tire gauge and she had inflated one tire to I’ve 80 psi. I’m surprised she didn’t have one let go on her.

    Holy smokes! That was fortuitous of you to check that! Nice going; probably saved someone an injury, and at at the least a lot of damage!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 14,503
    fintail said:

    I remember Christmas 1992, my 16 year old cousin drove his car to our house, the car being a 1986 Camry gifted to him by my aunt. He mentioned the oil light came on, asked if it meant anything, my dad snarked something to the effect that it's probably too late. My cousin had zero mechanical aptitude, so my dad and I went to inspect the car. Dry dipstick. My dad always had oil on hand, so he refilled it. Not sure what happened to the Camry after that, but my cousin later turned up in a new Civic.

    xwesx said:


    I told him that he probably did some serious damage to the truck, but no way of knowing without a teardown or wait for it to throw a rod. He expressed his undying gratitude, jumped in, and drove off toward his original destination.

    Wow, that's honestly quite sad. That Camry, at that time, was a fairly recent used car! Our two-tone brown Camry (1985 LE) looked pristine when my father bought his 1992 Camry in November of 91. Even when they gifted it to my sister in 1995, it was still very nice... and it even stayed in decent shape the whole time she owned it, but finally fell victim to aging suspension components in the mid 200,000 miles, and she wasn't willing to dump money into it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 14,503
    corvette said:

    Also, I spread the Toyota truck lease love to a colleague who isn’t on here last week. We were talking about cars and how we don’t keep them more than a couple of years (check), and he mentioned being ready for something else and looking at an older Sequoia, and I was like “hold up, have you considered leasing a Tacoma or Tundra? Let me send you a link.”

    Good of you! Next step, send him the link, forums.edmunds.com. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • fintailfintail Posts: 52,676
    Yeah, I thought those early Camrys were known to be pretty solid, especially if in a salt-free climate. Heck, at that same time my mom's 85 Tempo GLX was still going strong and looking like new, and would be kept in the family until 1999, when she let it go at ~190K - also had worn out suspension, new buyer was going to fix it and give it to his kid. I suspect that Camry had other issues, although my aunt hasn't been known to be rough on cars. I recall nothing other than it was white on burgundy (I think).
    xwesx said:



    Wow, that's honestly quite sad. That Camry, at that time, was a fairly recent used car! Our two-tone brown Camry (1985 LE) looked pristine when my father bought his 1992 Camry in November of 91. Even when they gifted it to my sister in 1995, it was still very nice... and it even stayed in decent shape the whole time she owned it, but finally fell victim to aging suspension components in the mid 200,000 miles, and she wasn't willing to dump money into it.

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    just saw that Carmax is offering 24 hour test drives. That might come in handy if I get the long list narrowed down to a short list. Good way to try out something different to see if it might be viable to live with. PU truck, EV, low sporty car. Basically something I have never really tried to live with.

    Many things might seem fine on a quick test drive, but a couple of hours in different conditions might change that.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 3,960
    It used to be, at least locally, CarMax only allowed a brief test drive, essentially around the block and didn’t allow you to really experience the vehicle. The salesperson riding with you, of course, yakking away to really distract you. 24 hr test drive is a real plus. I have sold several cars to CarMax but have yet to buy one there.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 3,960
    edited January 18
    Sunday mornings around 10:30 or so I like to get out of the house for a while and drive, often about 25 minutes away where new car dealerships and CarMax are located. I enjoy walking through the lots while the dealerships closed and browse. What I have noticed recently is the thin inventory and cars that are not in great condition. Many with door dings and noticeable body reconditioning or repair, higher miles with matching high pricing. Is this what others are finding? The VW lot had mainly Atlas(s)and Tiguans as new inventory and few sedans. Still some 2020 Jettas on clearance, not sure how much they may be discounted as they still show about $1500 dealer junk mark up.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,803

    stickguy said:

    I like helping old people. Good way of pretending that I am not one of them.

    I like helping young people too. Friday I was trying to order pizza and the girl taking the order was obviously brand new and wasn’t sure how to take the order. I had to repeat things two or three times. She finally said almost tearfully “this is my first day and I’m having a terrible time”. I assured her she was doing fine.

    When I got my order I tipped her $50 and told her we all have tough days and that things would get better. Her eyes lit up and she said “this just turned into my best day ever!”.

    I wish somebody had done that for me when I was 16 at my first job.
    What a great gesture. @oldfarmer50 ....you’re one of the “good guys”.
    2019 Kia Stinger GT2
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,803
    @explorer05....Agree with OF...a worn seat in a vehicle with that little mileage sounds like a warning sign. Unless, the previous owner was a “very big” person. Still, it sounds like you’re 50-50 on liking it. Is that enough?
    2019 Kia Stinger GT2
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 15,414
    @graphicguy,
    I'm crossing that one off the list, due to the seat comfort issue.
    Feel bad because the dealer was great.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT, 2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 8,188
    @explorerx4 - that's unfortunate, maybe keep that dealer on your radar and see whether anything else that interests you pops up on their lot?

    @sda - CarMax stopped doing the super thorough reconditioning that made them famous quite some time ago. I remember seeing a Land Rover in their showroom with only 4,000 miles that had the aluminum trim in the center console beaten all to heck. Back in the old days, that would have been replaced.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 180,471
    I think Carmax just extended their return policy to 30 days/1500 miles.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    that's even better!

    They do just give your money back, right? No deductions for use, or just applying a credit for another car?

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 14,351
    The dealer that sold me my 2er took in a one owner 2018 M2; Mineral Gray, three pedals, Exec Pkg., no hole in the roof. Only 9113 miles. Too bad it's not a 2019...

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 7,531

    The dealer that sold me my 2er took in a one owner 2018 M2; Mineral Gray, three pedals, Exec Pkg., no hole in the roof. Only 9113 miles. Too bad it's not a 2019...

    How much?
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2007 BMW 530xi Touring 6MT (on loan), 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    what's so special about 2019?

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 175,482
    stickguy said:

    what's so special about 2019?

    moah powah....

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 14,351
    stickguy said:

    what's so special about 2019?

    S55 Motor, bigger brakes, M Sport Seats...

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 14,351

    The dealer that sold me my 2er took in a one owner 2018 M2; Mineral Gray, three pedals, Exec Pkg., no hole in the roof. Only 9113 miles. Too bad it's not a 2019...

    How much?
    $47,425

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 7,531

    The dealer that sold me my 2er took in a one owner 2018 M2; Mineral Gray, three pedals, Exec Pkg., no hole in the roof. Only 9113 miles. Too bad it's not a 2019...

    How much?
    $47,425
    And a 2019 is probably what - 50-52? I’d just wait...
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2007 BMW 530xi Touring 6MT (on loan), 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
  • breldbreld Posts: 5,591
    I think I'd be completely fine with a 2018 M2 for my needs, but at the right price. With the significant changes for 2019, I just think the Comp will hold its value much better. So I think the 2018 needs to be priced accordingly, and that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

    2018 X3 M40i - 2020 Supra - 2020 MINI JCW Hardtop - 2020 Leaf

  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 2,734
    rny421 said:

    I drove a Model 3 today and loveddd it. I was surprised how quiet it was, and how solid it felt. There are so many settings to tweak, it's legitimately like an iPad on wheels, and felt like the future. I probably should've started with driving something like a Mitsubishi iMiEV so it wouldn't have gotten me as excited about a potential new car.

    The hurdles are cost and my concern of Tesla's reliability. Has Tesla come a long way? I remember when the Model S came out, people were having powertrain failures and all sorts of quality issues. The Model X and Model 3 rollout both were plagued with their own issues as well. I believe someone on here has two Teslas - any thoughts?

    Regarding cost, I was initially thinking of doing a lease takeover as a way to try out an EV, but that could be difficult as it sounds like Tesla is restricting transfers between certain states due to COVID. Looking at used Model 3's, they seem to hold their value too well such that buying a year or two old doesn't make sense. That should mean that if I end up buying new, hopefully wouldn't get burned too bad on depreciation if I only kept it 3-4 years.

    I still want to test driven an e-tron and maybe a Mini SE. My current train of thought is to wait a little bit to see if the $7,500 EV rebate is reinstated as it is rumored to be for the new Biden administration. Any CPAs or Accounting folks on here want to wager a guess if I bought a new 2021 Model 3 and the EV rebate was brought back to life later in the year, would my purchase earlier in 2021 be eligible?

    Our 3 has been dead reliable, and it was an earlier build. No issues, daily driven by my wife and not babied. Owned almost 2.5 years now, driven from Seattle to Portland or Vancouver BC multiple times. Autopilot rocks. I did have to change the wipers and fill the washer fluid. Lame.

    Can't speak to what will happen on the EV credit front; it's anyone's guess at the moment.

    Always nice to hear a positive take from someone that took an actual test drive.

    18 Tesla X Performance / 18 Tesla 3 Performance / 11 BMW Z4 6MT

  • breldbreld Posts: 5,591

    The dealer that sold me my 2er took in a one owner 2018 M2; Mineral Gray, three pedals, Exec Pkg., no hole in the roof. Only 9113 miles. Too bad it's not a 2019...

    How much?
    $47,425
    And a 2019 is probably what - 50-52? I’d just wait...
    Exactly.

    The one local to me (the 2018) is now at $46,840, but also has 23k miles. Here's the funny and aggravating thing...I went and looked at it the day it was listed, and I distinctively remember it being priced at $46,840. The very next day the listing price had been increased to $48,840, and just recently it went through a "price reduction" to $46,840. Games dealers play.

    2018 X3 M40i - 2020 Supra - 2020 MINI JCW Hardtop - 2020 Leaf

  • breldbreld Posts: 5,591
    tifighter said:

    rny421 said:

    I drove a Model 3 today and loveddd it. I was surprised how quiet it was, and how solid it felt. There are so many settings to tweak, it's legitimately like an iPad on wheels, and felt like the future. I probably should've started with driving something like a Mitsubishi iMiEV so it wouldn't have gotten me as excited about a potential new car.

    The hurdles are cost and my concern of Tesla's reliability. Has Tesla come a long way? I remember when the Model S came out, people were having powertrain failures and all sorts of quality issues. The Model X and Model 3 rollout both were plagued with their own issues as well. I believe someone on here has two Teslas - any thoughts?

    Regarding cost, I was initially thinking of doing a lease takeover as a way to try out an EV, but that could be difficult as it sounds like Tesla is restricting transfers between certain states due to COVID. Looking at used Model 3's, they seem to hold their value too well such that buying a year or two old doesn't make sense. That should mean that if I end up buying new, hopefully wouldn't get burned too bad on depreciation if I only kept it 3-4 years.

    I still want to test driven an e-tron and maybe a Mini SE. My current train of thought is to wait a little bit to see if the $7,500 EV rebate is reinstated as it is rumored to be for the new Biden administration. Any CPAs or Accounting folks on here want to wager a guess if I bought a new 2021 Model 3 and the EV rebate was brought back to life later in the year, would my purchase earlier in 2021 be eligible?

    Our 3 has been dead reliable, and it was an earlier build. No issues, daily driven by my wife and not babied. Owned almost 2.5 years now, driven from Seattle to Portland or Vancouver BC multiple times. Autopilot rocks. I did have to change the wipers and fill the washer fluid. Lame.

    Can't speak to what will happen on the EV credit front; it's anyone's guess at the moment.

    Always nice to hear a positive take from someone that took an actual test drive.
    I always appreciate your real-world experience with your Teslas. I do wish I would have taken a closer look at the Model Y...my impression was that it was a bit on the small side and therefore cramped on the inside. But I looked at the specs recently and was surprised to see it was as long as the X3 (actually a tad longer). Wife and I checked one out at the mall showroom this past weekend and that confirmed the interior space is indeed competitive with the class. I suppose the shape and height of it gives the appearance of a smaller vehicle.

    2018 X3 M40i - 2020 Supra - 2020 MINI JCW Hardtop - 2020 Leaf

  • breldbreld Posts: 5,591
    rny421 said:

    Any CPAs or Accounting folks on here want to wager a guess if I bought a new 2021 Model 3 and the EV rebate was brought back to life later in the year, would my purchase earlier in 2021 be eligible?

    I doubt it will be left up to any interpretation by a CPA or anyone for that matter. If there is a modification to the rebate to allow more units by a manufacturer to qualify, it will be very clear on whether it applies prospectively or retroactively.

    FWIW, it seems to me Tesla adjusted their pricing accordingly with phasing out of rebate eligibility.

    2018 X3 M40i - 2020 Supra - 2020 MINI JCW Hardtop - 2020 Leaf

  • breldbreld Posts: 5,591
    breld said:

    rny421 said:

    Any CPAs or Accounting folks on here want to wager a guess if I bought a new 2021 Model 3 and the EV rebate was brought back to life later in the year, would my purchase earlier in 2021 be eligible?

    I doubt it will be left up to any interpretation by a CPA or anyone for that matter. If there is a modification to the rebate to allow more units by a manufacturer to qualify, it will be very clear on whether it applies prospectively or retroactively.

    FWIW, it seems to me Tesla adjusted their pricing accordingly with phasing out of rebate eligibility.
    Just did a quick search and found a table someone put together on Tesla's pricing adjustments.

    As an example, the Model 3 long range AWD was introduced at a price of $54k. That price has been reduced over time since then, and today you can order that model for $47k. If the rebate was still intact, I doubt those decreases would have been made, or certainly not to that extent.

    Nothing wrong with that IMO at all, but just saying you may not be paying much more by "losing out" on the tax rebate.

    What would really be interesting is if the rebate limit was retracted, allowing Tesla (and GM) to once again be eligible...would they increase the price accordingly?

    2018 X3 M40i - 2020 Supra - 2020 MINI JCW Hardtop - 2020 Leaf

  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 180,471
    stickguy said:

    that's even better!

    They do just give your money back, right? No deductions for use, or just applying a credit for another car?

    From what I understand, yes

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,887
    edited January 18
    kyfdx said:

    Also... hit the Powerball on Saturday. $4.

    You doubled us up, we hit for $2. I’m sure my money guy is waiting by the phone.

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    I hit Mega for $4 too. Just cashed those babies in today. Maybe I should go car shopping?

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 8,188
    I tried to play using the mobile app. Not recommended. Very buggy. I think I won $2, but it doesn't look like I received credit.
  • au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,887
    Aren’t we high rollers? We could barely by a 6 pack of a nice craft beer if we pooled our winnings.

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    saw a new style big rolls (4 door). On some hideous looking tip toe wheels (24's? Lots of wheel, little sidewall, and really bad looking).

    also parked next to a White XC90. made my RDX look kind of dainty.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 11,693
    edited January 18
    Ha ha .. did the XC have Maryland temp plates?

    Speaking of that they just had to send me an extended one since they still don’t have my Jersey plates. Used to take a week, I’m over two months now.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 40,849
    no front tag, so I actually wondered. But I walked behind it and it had a normal Jersey plate on it. Plus looked like a darker interior.

    I know Jersey basically extended expired tags indefinitely early on in the pandemic. No clue what the current rules are. Just glad my license expires in 12/2021, not last month.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 17,276
    edited January 18
    stickguy said:

    just saw that Carmax is offering 24 hour test drives. That might come in handy if I get the long list narrowed down to a short list. Good way to try out something different to see if it might be viable to live with. PU truck, EV, low sporty car. Basically something I have never really tried to live with.

    Many things might seem fine on a quick test drive, but a couple of hours in different conditions might change that.

    I remember when the new Mustang came out in 2005 I rented one to get a full day test drive. CarMax would have come in handy.

    The only thing better for you would be to come and work for Enterprise. Today I got to drive everything from a Caddy XT4 to a Nissan Kicks.





    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 17,276
    sda said:

    Sunday mornings around 10:30 or so I like to get out of the house for a while and drive, often about 25 minutes away where new car dealerships and CarMax are located. I enjoy walking through the lots while the dealerships closed and browse. What I have noticed recently is the thin inventory and cars that are not in great condition. Many with door dings and noticeable body reconditioning or repair, higher miles with matching high pricing. Is this what others are finding? The VW lot had mainly Atlas(s)and Tiguans as new inventory and few sedans. Still some 2020 Jettas on clearance, not sure how much they may be discounted as they still show about $1500 dealer junk mark up.

    Our boss told us that because of the high wholesale prices dealers are only buying the bare minimum of inventory. Typically if we deliver a car it is already sold.

    Sounds like those stores are finding slim pickings at the auction too.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 17,276
    stickguy said:

    that's even better!

    They do just give your money back, right? No deductions for use, or just applying a credit for another car?

    I know they don’t refund any delivery fees so if you had it sent from Hawaii you’re out of luck.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 7,531
    The ZHPs big brother is officially westbound. Should be here in about a week.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2007 BMW 530xi Touring 6MT (on loan), 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
Sign In or Register to comment.