Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited July 2021

With the crazy M2C prices I'm back to considering a 2021 Supra 3.0 as well as the G42 M240i. Funny thing, the European magazines prefer the M2C over the Supra, while the US mags give the nod to the Supra. I wish I could spend an afternoon behind the wheel of both, but that's not happening. I'm still kind of surprised that my wife and son like the M2C best; I thought for sure my son would go for the Supra.

Come on now. Your wife and son are BMW people. Toyota, really? Nope.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

Acura continues to be the cheap to own "premium" brand. Just got another coupon from my dealer. Oil/filter change, tire rotation, MPI with report, and new wiper blade inserts for $69. The VW dealer wanted $200+ for that. I'm sure BMW or MB would too.

I can't speak for "premium brand", but the Quick Lane at the Ford dealer will do oil and filter, tire rotation, and MPI for $49. No wiper blades, but everyday price, no coupon needed.

The Chrysler dealer does oil, filter, and tire rotation for about $75 or $80.

Back when I had the Passat TDI, the VW dealer did an oil change (diesel mind you) with tire rotation for less than $100. Sounds like your VW dealer is a bit of a rip off.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

And lastly, the coolant light came on in the Audi this morning. The folks at the Audi store put more coolant in and the light went out. So, looking like we'll be getting with the mechanic sooner than later here and just finding/fixing the issue. Checked our records and it's still the original coolant in there so will have this taken care of soon enough.

Engine coolant is a sealed system, and really shouldn't require any "top off". If or when it does, you definitely should have it looked at as you most likely do have a leak somewhere. Could be simple and cheap, could be moderately expensive, could be a real b___ buster. Good luck.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@sda said:

The Supra is a BMW with a Toyota badge and different body.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

@stickguy said:
    does the emergency use only back seat matter at all to you?

The BMW just looks less "hokey" to me. More mature? something like that.

though a guy in my neighborhood has a red supra now, and it is sharp looking if that is what you are looking for.

The rear seats in the 2 Series are actually pretty usable. Getting in and out is the hard part. I do like having a back seat but it’s not a deal breaker.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

Got an estimate to have my truck fixed. $1,942.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    henryn said:

I find it interesting that the mainstream media and news sources are starting to pay attention to what has happened to the new and used car market. For the longest time they were basically ignoring the whole thing.

Once they discover that can frighten people with it you’ll hear about it 24/7.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    nyccarguy said:

ouch. But these days, you can run that up on something barely noticeable.

is this going through his insurance?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

henryn said:

And lastly, the coolant light came on in the Audi this morning. The folks at the Audi store put more coolant in and the light went out. So, looking like we'll be getting with the mechanic sooner than later here and just finding/fixing the issue. Checked our records and it's still the original coolant in there so will have this taken care of soon enough.

Engine coolant is a sealed system, and really shouldn't require any "top off". If or when it does, you definitely should have it looked at as you most likely do have a leak somewhere. Could be simple and cheap, could be moderately expensive, could be a real b___ buster. Good luck.

The only positive is that if it’s leaking on the floor it’s probably not leaking into a cylinder.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

nyccarguy said:

Ouch, but the other guy pays, right?

henryn said:

The only positive is that if it’s leaking on the floor it’s probably not leaking into a cylinder.
    it's an Audi. So don't bet on it. B)

I am putting my money on leaky water pump.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    nyccarguy said:

Wow. There's no such thing as minor damage anymore! However, this goes a long way toward making more sense of @mjfloyd1 's ~$40K+ estimate on the Q7. That one actually looked like it had a fair amount of damage!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    nyccarguy said:

Bumpers are expensive. My 2017 Chevy Sliverado bumper got bumped by me. It has a small dent in it. Nothing major and no other damage.
    I decided to get an estimate. About $1400.00 for OEM and $1200.00 for aftermarket! I found an aftermarket on Ebay for $349.00, but you have to disconnect and lift the the p/u bed to install it, as it mounts between the bed and the frame. I'll live with the dent for now.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    nyccarguy said:

Can’t say I’m surprised. When I saw the back up sensors I knew it wouldn’t be cheap. Even if they are not damaged they still have to come off/out for the repair adding to the labor cost.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,766
    mjfloyd1 said:

@sda said:

The Supra is a BMW with a Toyota badge and ugly body.

Fixed it

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@kyfdx said:
    Fixed it

Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder. I don’t find the Supra bad looking.

mjfloyd1 said:

@kyfdx said:

Fixed it

Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder. I don’t find the Supra bad looking.

+1

I LOVE the look of the new Supra! Very modern. There is no mistaking it for anything else on the road.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

sb55 said:

nyccarguy said:

Bumpers are expensive. My 2017 Chevy Sliverado bumper got bumped by me. It has a small dent in it. Nothing major and no other damage.
    I decided to get an estimate. About $1400.00 for OEM and $1200.00 for aftermarket! I found an aftermarket on Ebay for $349.00, but you have to disconnect and lift the the p/u bed to install it, as it mounts between the bed and the frame. I'll live with the dent for now.
    That's actually the most expensive line item on the estimate. "Rear Bumper Trailer Hitch" $784.25

When the hood and front quarter panel were stolen off my truck back in 2015, the repair ran a little over $2k. And the most expensive item wasn't the new hood (even though it was aluminum), it was painting the new hood to match the rest of the truck.
    edited July 2021
    More reinforcement for buying a cheap new car to hold you over until the insanity ends:

Used car and truck rental prices rose 12% in June, and 88% from the year before. Used car prices were up 11% in June and 45% from a year ago, while new car prices were up 2% and 5%, respectively.

New-car prices haven't risen enormously — sticker prices are sticky, it turns out.

But the new-car shortage has meant that car-rental companies, faced with booming demand, have become buyers rather than sellers of second-hand vehicles, upending the market's normal delicate balance.

Looking at the way wholesale prices have risen so much more than retail prices is interesting. I have often wondered if people are really buying these cars at the inflated prices that Carvana and Vroom have to be charging, given how much they are paying. I suspect they may wind up "holding the bag", so to speak. Left with an inventory of cars, trucks, and SUVs with far too much money tied up in them.

No way to tell at the moment, but if Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom all go bankrupt next year ...

Sticker didn’t change but discounts, and cheap lease deals, certainly disappeared.

But not a killer on cheap car. If a $24k Elantra used to sell for 21, but is now 23, not a huge difference if you hang onto it for a while. And at least you get a new car still!

If prices come down they sell cheaper. And eat the loss. They already paid for the cars and do have large markups. Even if they sell for what they bought them for to clear the lot, that will be major discount to retail price.

henryn said:

More reinforcement for buying a cheap new car to hold you over until the insanity ends:

Used car and truck rental prices rose 12% in June, and 88% from the year before. Used car prices were up 11% in June and 45% from a year ago, while new car prices were up 2% and 5%, respectively.

New-car prices haven't risen enormously — sticker prices are sticky, it turns out.

But the new-car shortage has meant that car-rental companies, faced with booming demand, have become buyers rather than sellers of second-hand vehicles, upending the market's normal delicate balance.

Looking at the way wholesale prices have risen so much more than retail prices is interesting. I have often wondered if people are really buying these cars at the inflated prices that Carvana and Vroom have to be charging, given how much they are paying. I suspect they may wind up "holding the bag", so to speak. Left with an inventory of cars, trucks, and SUVs with far too much money tied up in them.

No way to tell at the moment, but if Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom all go bankrupt next year ...

I don't think they'll ALL go bankrupt, but I do suspect that 1 of them will buy the other (or the other 2) and maybe 1 will go bankrupt.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,766
    Seems doubtful. Carvana and Carmax are both public companies with a lot of access to the markets and corporate loans. No idea on Vroom.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    mjfloyd1 said:

@sda said:

The Supra is a BMW with a Toyota badge and different body.

Yes, I know and it's a great car. But it still has a Toyota badge. Just poking fun.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

stickguy said:

henryn said:

it's an Audi. So don't bet on it. B)

I am putting my money on leaky water pump.
    That used to be a simple bolt and belt job but nowadays it could involve tearing the engine apart and cost thousands. I hope it’s just a hose.

In non-poster CCBA news, my best friend who just a few short months ago traded in his 2018 Raptor for a 2017 Lexus LX 570 (which he absolutely LOVES) just sold his wife's leased Grand Cherokee Summit for $5,000 over it's current lease payoff to AlGo. They ordered a 2021 Tesla Model 3 - AWD - Standard Range.

Market still nuts I see.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    For anyone interested, C+D's 40,000 miles
    in an M340i like mine:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30143002/2020-bmw-m340i-reliability-maintenance/
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    So the Edmunds road testers did a video on the best small CUVs: https://youtu.be/v-GKr_dyCag

Seems like none of the 5 actually nailed it. Was surprised they found the new Tucson so slow. I guess it's like the Mazda and you need to cough up the cash for the turbo model to make it acceptable. It seemed none of them really hit it out of the park.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

haven't watched it yet but I assume it was the 2.5 NA motor in the Tucson? I would get that with the 1.6t hybrid powertrain.

the base 4 cyl in the Hyundai is fine in the sedans but seems a bit overmatched in any of the SUVs. does not bode well for the Santa Cruz, especially if you actually want to ever carry or tow anything! So budget at least $35K for one of those for the turbo motor.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    stickguy said:

the base 4 cyl in the Hyundai is fine in the sedans but seems a bit overmatched in any of the SUVs. does not bode well for the Santa Cruz, especially if you actually want to ever carry or tow anything! So budget at least $35K for one of those for the turbo motor.

At which point, folks will think "I can get a 4-door mid-sized truck (XLT Ranger or V6 LT Colorado) for that money."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Assuming anybody is cross shopping a SC to a large truck like that. I doubt they are. I would compare though at that price point but a $35k ranger is still pretty basic.

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

At which point, folks will think "I can get a 4-door mid-sized truck (XLT Ranger or V6 LT Colorado) for that money."
    Except around here that aren't any Ranger's or Colorado's available. Nor Tacoma's, for that matter. The only mid-sized truck actually on dealer lots is the Nissan Frontier, and no one seems to like those. Which is probably why you can still find one! :)

But I do take your point, the Santa Cruz seems to be a bit overpriced, especially compared to the Maverick.

stickguy said:

Assuming anybody is cross shopping a SC to a large truck like that. I doubt they are. I would compare though at that price point but a $35k ranger is still pretty basic.

First off, the Ranger and the Colorado are not "large trucks", only mid-size. Yes, they are larger than the Santa Cruz, but they are definitely not "large trucks".

And secondly, if you go to the Ford price and build page, you can get a very nicely equipped Ranger XLT for $35k. Yes, it's possible to spend more, but a $35k ranger is not "pretty basic".

@rayainsw said:
    in an M340i like mine:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30143002/2020-bmw-m340i-reliability-maintenance/

Does your car have the cooling/high performance tire package and the laser headlights?
    All but one of the M340is that I looked at had both options.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2021

I like the Supra’s styling; it’s a bit OTT but to me that’s part of the charm. I’d want either a Nitro Yellow car or a replica of Hans’ F9 car:

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    nyccarguy said:

sb55 said:

nyccarguy said:

That's actually the most expensive line item on the estimate. "Rear Bumper Trailer Hitch" $784.25
    Yep. When I ordered the Jeep it was ~$795 for the factory hitch. No thanks, I’ll do it off Quadratec for half that.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

A lariat is over $43k with decent options. And you can’t even get a moonroof.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Guess I should have specified that anyone who wants/needs a truck for what it is intended, they'll take the mid-sizer for the same price. If they want a fashion accessory, they'd probably stick with the SC regardless.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

A lariat is over $43k with decent options. And you can’t even get a moonroof.

Obviously, your idea of "decent options" is quite a bit different from mine.
    qbrozen said:

Guess I should have specified that anyone who wants/needs a truck for what it is intended, they'll take the mid-sizer for the same price. If they want a fashion accessory, they'd probably stick with the SC regardless.

From what I've seen so far (and granted we have not seen very much at this point), the Maverick would still be a better choice than the Santa Cruz. All of that could change dramatically once we can get our hands on them.

But if you want a truck to haul and tow things rather than carry around 4 or 5 of your best friends, the regular cab F150 or Silverado would be a lot more truck than even a Ranger or Colorado. And about the same price (once sanity returns, that is).
    An XLT with 302A and tech breaks $41k. Power seats are a bare minimum option.

The 2021 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew includes an 8 inch touchscreen with SirusXM, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay. Also alloy wheels and keyless entry.

The 302A package adds:
    • 8-Way Power Driver and Passenger Heated Seats with Power Lumbar
    • 6-Way Power Passenger Seats with Power Lumbar
    • Manual Sliding Rear Window
    • Power-Folding Sideview Mirrors with Power Glass
    • Remote Start

Add the trailer tow package and it comes out to $36,080. I could live quite nicely with that setup.
    Ah. You specced opt a RWD. they don’t really exist in the NE. That’s another $3,700. Plus $500 trailer tow and $995 tech package if you want laser cruise. Puts you over $41k.

I’d get a nice loaded Maverick 2.0t AWD for $33k before that!

rayainsw said:

in an M340i like mine:

$67k to step up to the 340i ? Sounds fun though.

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Except around here that aren't any Ranger's or Colorado's available. Nor Tacoma's, for that matter. The only mid-sized truck actually on dealer lots is the Nissan Frontier, and no one seems to like those. Which is probably why you can still find one! :)

But I do take your point, the Santa Cruz seems to be a bit overpriced, especially compared to the Maverick.

Maybe it’s just me but I like the Frontier. Ride and power of the V6 is comparable to the Ranger Lariat with the 2.7 turbo I drove recently. Some people don’t like the firm ride.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Ranger has the 2.3 I4 single turbo. 2.7 is a V6 twin turbo.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    They are an honest, beefy truck. The new design just released is a really nice update all around. Same powertrain.