Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    In the before times, I recall screamer TV ads for trucks especially claiming 10K+ off MSRP. I assume these offers required dealer financing etc.

fintail said:

Only 20K? Well, some say the market is slowing.

G is something I would special order, using a MB rep if needed - I'd rather wait than buy something with generic spec ordered by a dealer to appeal to boring overmonied people.

Local dealer had a few year old G accessorized with all kinds of instagram-style outdoorsy "lifestyle" bric a brac (as the Toyota 4x4 and Subaru cult locally are into all that even if they never venture past a paved trailhead with food vendors and 5G service - it's all about pretending to be adventurous and active and bold). Naturally it was also overpriced, nobody would touch it, I heard they sent it to auction.

In my travels today, stopped at a MB dealer to look at an '18 Aston Martin DB11; sat in it, made vroom vroom noises. Actually started it up, V8 sounds wonderful. I fit, ingress/egress wasn't too bad (unlike the billionaire doored BMW i8, that's a contortionists dream). Obvious Mercedes bits and pieces, not sure I felt the hefty price of entry in the interior materials. Styling, quite lovely, but reminded me of my Jag XK. And, I can't believe that a saleswoman actually approached me and allowed me to sit, start and play! Fooled her real good. She said I really should buy in the next week as she's off to Greece for a month next weekend. No pressure. And, out of warranty. I am a gambler...

Saw youngish couple with youngerish daughter testing a new G-Wagon. Parked next to my A7e, the youngerish daughter seemed to like my car. Noted the ADM sticker in the G window, something like this:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.
    Fintail's checkbook is now out...

I notice the "market adjustment" of $20K

Has anyone ever seen a dealer have a market adjustment on the sticker which is -$10K? -$15 K?
    My understanding is if the market were not so good for a model, color, etc., a negative adjustment
    would be called for.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    fintail said:

In the before times, I recall screamer TV ads for trucks especially claiming 10K+ off MSRP. I assume these offers required dealer financing etc.

fintail said:

G is something I would special order, using a MB rep if needed - I'd rather wait than buy something with generic spec ordered by a dealer to appeal to boring overmonied people.

Local dealer had a few year old G accessorized with all kinds of instagram-style outdoorsy "lifestyle" bric a brac (as the Toyota 4x4 and Subaru cult locally are into all that even if they never venture past a paved trailhead with food vendors and 5G service - it's all about pretending to be adventurous and active and bold). Naturally it was also overpriced, nobody would touch it, I heard they sent it to auction.

In my travels today, stopped at a MB dealer to look at an '18 Aston Martin DB11; sat in it, made vroom vroom noises. Actually started it up, V8 sounds wonderful. I fit, ingress/egress wasn't too bad (unlike the billionaire doored BMW i8, that's a contortionists dream). Obvious Mercedes bits and pieces, not sure I felt the hefty price of entry in the interior materials. Styling, quite lovely, but reminded me of my Jag XK. And, I can't believe that a saleswoman actually approached me and allowed me to sit, start and play! Fooled her real good. She said I really should buy in the next week as she's off to Greece for a month next weekend. No pressure. And, out of warranty. I am a gambler...

Saw youngish couple with youngerish daughter testing a new G-Wagon. Parked next to my A7e, the youngerish daughter seemed to like my car. Noted the ADM sticker in the G window, something like this:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

Has anyone ever seen a dealer have a market adjustment on the sticker which is -$10K? -$15 K?
    My understanding is if the market were not so good for a model, color, etc., a negative adjustment
    would be called for.

There was one local dealership north of Charlotte that would advertise attractive pricing. Then they would add in the disclaimer you had to buy the mop and glo, admin fee, finance thru a specific company and buy insurance from a specific company. Huh? Immediate turn off to me.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    mjfloyd1 said:

What does jmonroe think of this newcomer jmonroe1? :)

Not much. :@

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    sda said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

would be called for.

There was one local dealership north of Charlotte that would advertise attractive pricing. Then they would add in the disclaimer you had to buy the mop and glo, admin fee, finance thru a specific company and buy insurance from a specific company. Huh? Immediate turn off to me.
    I can understand your turn off. I’d feel the same way. But, if this dealer has a history of doing business like that, it must be working. Probably lots of “payment buyers” since they like the big print.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435

@jmonroe - happiest of birthdays & many more my friend.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    The dealership where I bought my Explorer has a Mustang Mach 1 with a 20K ADM.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    edited July 2021

@explorerx4 said:

Haha … someone will probably pay it

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I saw another couple this weekend. Either they are starting to really get out there, or I just happened to be paying attention after seeing the first one!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

With the exception of Kings in Cincy and a couple of salespeople at Bill Collins in Louisville. it seems that every Ford dealer I've dealt with had the primary goal of p*ssing me off. I'm sure everyone has a similar story involving a different brand, but that is what I've run into.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    2jmonroe- happiest of birthdays!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    @jmonroe1 -- Have a happy b'day. There are only a few of us who tell it like it is but, left alone, we make it more interesting.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

@cdnpinhead said:
    @jmonroe1 -- Have a happy b'day. There are only a few of us who tell it like it is but, left alone, we make it more interesting.

Hope your birthday was great J! You can’t be all that bad having a birthday so close to mine !! :)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@cdnpinhead said:

Hope your birthday was great J! You can’t be all that bad having a birthday so close to mine !! :)

That may be the only down side to this date. :D

IIRC, our poster buddy @ab348 has a birthday around now too. Maybe we missed it. Even so I’m going to cover myself and wish everyone in here a happy birthday, whenever it was/is this year.

jmonroe
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

Strong work jmonroe and jmonroe1

• Options

My wife was interested in a new Defender 90, so I looked on the LR site and located a couple of possibilities at a dealer in North Carolina. I then checked the dealer’s site and found both D90s had a $16k ADM.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    tjc78 said:

@explorerx4 said:

Haha … someone will probably pay it

Not me. When Carvana made me that insane offer on my 2015 I considered a Mach 1 long enough to drive to the nearest dealer who listed one. When I found out that the sales manager was bombing around in it as his personal car I lost interest. A $20k ADM would make me cancel the trip to even look.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    There is a NJ dealer chain offering a fairly decent deal on the Mach 1. It is a balloon note, but supposedly with a guaranteed buy back. At full MSRP, a low-spec model is about $420/mo for 48 mos if you put $8500 up front, which is actually $1k after you get the $7500 back from the Feds.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    fintail said:

fintail said:

Market Adjustment $20k
    Security Package $2500
    Simonize $1500

So, seems like a deal.

would be called for.

In 2018 I purchased an F150 SuperCrew XLT, MSRP right at $44k. I paid $33.5. About $5k in factory incentives, and about $5k in dealer discount. Such deals were common. Yes, it required captive financing, but I only had to finance $7.5k of that, and I paid it off after 90 days. Such deals were still commonly available right up until the world went insane.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@qbrozen said:
    There is a NJ dealer chain offering a fairly decent deal on the Mach 1. It is a balloon note, but supposedly with a guaranteed buy back. At full MSRP, a low-spec model is about $420/mo for 48 mos if you put $8500 up front, which is actually $1k after you get the $7500 back from the Feds.

I missed the decent part.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited July 2021

Also, I think there is confusion between Mach 1 and Mach-E. Shame on Ford for making two very different cars and calling them both Mustangs! But I am pretty sure the Mach 1 will never get a tax rebate.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

@corvette said:
    Also, I think there is confusion between Mach 1 and Mach-E. Shame on Ford for making two very different cars and calling them both Mustangs! But I am pretty sure the Mach 1 will never get a tax rebate.

I totally missed that. Just assumed he meant Mach E.

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    This looks interesting. Makes me wonder if there's a good Volvo mechanic in Miami to PPI it? If it begins fairly healthy, the second 100K on these Volvos can be some good driving. Even if this one is probably 300 lbs heavier than my old V70.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9eDEqq4o/2005-volvo-xc70
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    edited July 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

IIRC, our poster buddy @ab348 has a birthday around now too. Maybe we missed it. Even so I’m going to cover myself and wish everyone in here a happy birthday, whenever it was/is this year.

jmonroe

Thanks JM1. It is today, I turn 65. Cripes!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@corvette said:

Daaannng. That’s what happens when I’m tired.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@28firefighter said:

@qbrozen said:

0.94% relative payment vs MSRP for a new model in this market is “fairly decent” IMHO. Granted, its 48 mos.

• Options
    edited July 2021

@ronsteve said:
    This looks interesting. Makes me wonder if there's a good Volvo mechanic in Miami to PPI it? If it begins fairly healthy, the second 100K on these Volvos can be some good driving. Even if this one is probably 300 lbs heavier than my old V70.

Weak transmissions in 2005.

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    qbrozen said:

@ronsteve said:

Weak transmissions in 2005.

Was it an issue with the AWD transmissions, or was there an upgrade between the 05 and 06 model years? As far as I was aware it was still the Aisin AW55 5-speed auto.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Happy Birthday! Enjoy.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    ronsteve said:

Was it an issue with the AWD transmissions, or was there an upgrade between the 05 and 06 model years? As far as I was aware it was still the Aisin AW55 5-speed auto.

Not specific to AWD.
    Here is a good writeup.
    https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/is-your-volvo-hard-shifting-you-should-read-this/

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    A3 going in Thursday morning as we've had enough already. Got down and looked at the tires and though they are getting there, still some tread left, think we're good for a few more months at least. Got a feeling that since we're getting the leak taken care of, she'll be ready to do the couple of tires and be done with it! Drove it last night out to dinner & get petrol and she drives just fine. Could use a good bath but overall, with just under 63K on the clock, she's a very nice vehicle and hopefully will be around for a few more years. As long as there's no major issues, she'll stay in the stable. Once things start happening, we'll replace it with something else and doubt it'll be a German model. She almost go the Forte last time so suspect she'll stat there and see what she likes.
    Drove a new Elantra and Sentra at work finally on Friday and liked them both actually. Nissan finally seems to have gotten their auto tanny's to perform better, the old one's were really awful! Now that I've driven the Altima, Sentra and Versa, must say they drive much smoother and hate to say it, I'd consider a new Sentra or even a Versa though the Kicks would be a better fit. Loved the Elantra though there were a couple interior pieces I thought were a bit weird. I'd love to try a Limited model and then the N-line as I suspect they're a bit nicer. But it drove very smoothly and the ergonomics were quite good, especially liked the new dash set-up. Must admit there were a lot of hard plastic surfaces that could use a softer material but overall, think Hyundai did a bang up job here. Forgot about the Kia Forte's interior but suspect it'll be somewhat similar. I do suspect though that once the A3 is let go, a new Forte could very well take it's place on her side of the garage.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    My mom's '03 Sonata (which my sister is now driving) had some maintenance done last week. AC wasn't blowing cold; my sister lives in North County San Diego, where it can get 90+ many days, so in it went. Turns out a number of hoses needed replacing - the car is 18 years old, after all - so that got done.

The guy who did the work noted that the tires were 10 years old, so those were ordered at Discount and are being installed tomorrow. Cooper CS5 Tourings - same as what we have on our Outback. $111/each.

Side note - the guy who did the repair work commented on how good the Sonata looks, and would be interested in buying it if we decided to sell. The car only has something like 40-45K on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

My mom's '03 Sonata (which my sister is now driving) had some maintenance done last week. AC wasn't blowing cold; my sister lives in North County San Diego, where it can get 90+ many days, so in it went. Turns out a number of hoses needed replacing - the car is 18 years old, after all - so that got done.

The guy who did the work noted that the tires were 10 years old, so those were ordered at Discount and are being installed tomorrow. Cooper CS5 Tourings - same as what we have on our Outback. $111/each.

Side note - the guy who did the repair work commented on how good the Sonata looks, and would be interested in buying it if we decided to sell. The car only has something like 40-45K on it.

There are some things that "age out" rather than "mile out". Those of us here who like older cars with very low mileage (and there are several of us) have experienced this first hand, and are prepared for it. Despite glitches like those mentioned above, they can still make for very nice rides.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    henryn said:

Michaell said:

There are some things that "age out" rather than "mile out". Those of us here who like older cars with very low mileage (and there are several of us) have experienced this first hand, and are prepared for it. Despite glitches like those mentioned above, they can still make for very nice rides.

I will find out for myself in a few weeks, as I'm heading to California for a few days.

We knew that the car had some deferred maintenance - my dad passed away in 2016, and not much has been done with the car between then and last year, when my sister took possession. It does look great from 20' away, though I suspect an interior detail could be in order.

I think my sister has put a couple thousand dollars into it over the last year or so, which is probably more than it's worth, but it's a competent car that does the job well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Michaell said:

henryn said:

Michaell said:

I will find out for myself in a few weeks, as I'm heading to California for a few days.

We knew that the car had some deferred maintenance - my dad passed away in 2016, and not much has been done with the car between then and last year, when my sister took possession. It does look great from 20' away, though I suspect an interior detail could be in order.

I think my sister has put a couple thousand dollars into it over the last year or so, which is probably more than it's worth, but it's a competent car that does the job well.
    You couldn't replace it in today's market for what has been spent to maintain it. Same with our TL.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    My BIL had my FIL’s old Impala. Maybe a 2003/2004? Low miles, I doubt it had broken 60k yet. They Just donated it to a local votech. Body and interior fine, I think engine good, but it apparently rotted out underneath. Brakes shot and lines rusted out, suspension rubber wore out, and I think various rubber items in the engine. Had it towed to a mechanic who asked them why they bothered!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Michaell said:

In this crazy used market? Tell him the first $20k takes it. :D

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

As everyone knows, mine was yesterday. I should have known you’d be a day late…not sure about the dollar. :s

Have a happy B-day.

jmonroe
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

As everyone knows, mine was yesterday. I should have known you’d be a day late…not sure about the dollar. :s

Have a happy B-day.

jmonroe
    You can make your birthday a Happy Birthday week. Do a happy dance and celebrate!

• Options
  • Options
    Buy a car with a credit card?

I'm sure you all have opinions as to whether it's a good idea, or not.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    When I bought my ATS the dealer took a substantial deposit (I think $5K) on my GM card. Then when we did the final paperwork the GM "money" from that deposit transaction was included in my balance that was applied against the price I was paying, so win-win.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

This is whacky. jm1 signs in and signs his comment jm.

Multiple personalities???? :)

• Options

@benjaminh said:
    Perhaps no one would cross-shop the Corolla hybrid with Ford's upcoming Maverick hybrid, but maybe they should.

With destination a 2022 Corolla hybrid has an msrp of $24,645, and goes 0-60 in a "painfully slow" 10.7 seconds:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28442604/2020-toyota-corolla-hybrid-by-the-numbers/

With destination a 2022 base Maverick hybrid has an msrp of $21,490. The Maverick hybrid is more powerful than the Corolla and should go about two seconds faster 0-60.

At msrp the Maverick hybrid costs $3155 less than the Corolla hybrid.

The standard steel wheels on the Maverick look old school in a good way to me. I could probably live with a manual seat, but I'm used to adaptive cruise control now, and I think even a base Corolla or Civic get that.

I never thought I would see someone happy that their vehicle is more powerful than a Corolla :)

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    corvette said:

Punch pending... Meeting the seller at the DMV tomorrow to transfer title.

*hits Staples "that was easy" button*

Trying to find a teaser picture that doesn't 100% give away what it is and coming up short. But, I can definitely do some text... Suffice it to say that it's definitely a Hooptie Rescue Mission and I plan to drive it when patronizing businesses where it's difficult to park the Tundra.

El Camino? :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options

Ranchero :)

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Can confirm the previous owner did use it as a farm truck/work truck on occasion. Also, it's a one owner vehicle. Recently had a major repair of a common failure item.
  • Options
    corvette said:

Can confirm the previous owner did use it as a farm truck/work truck on occasion. Also, it's a one owner vehicle. Recently had a major repair of a common failure item.

Tacoma

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator