Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    stickguy said:

Have to tire shop. Son needs tires since the S4 came with summer performance tires, and he lives in cold snow country. Not going to be cheap. Shopping wheel/tire packages and just all season pilot sports and maybe just keep those on year round.

I just purchased a set of wheels and tires for my wife's Forester earlier today. I sold the old winter tires last October, which I used over the last couple of summers, with the wheels they were on. However, I was having a hard time getting ahold of the wheels I wanted in Alaska, so I decided to just wait until I was down here to take care of it. And, that's one thing to write off the list!

$1,500 for the set, and they're not even mounted yet. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393

If I did not have at home, a 14 day quarantine would be a vacation. But alas.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Have to tire shop. Son needs tires since the S4 came with summer performance tires, and he lives in cold snow country. Not going to be cheap. Shopping wheel/tire packages and just all season pilot sports and maybe just keep those on year round.

I just purchased a set of wheels and tires for my wife's Forester earlier today. I sold the old winter tires last October, which I used over the last couple of summers, with the wheels they were on. However, I was having a hard time getting ahold of the wheels I wanted in Alaska, so I decided to just wait until I was down here to take care of it. And, that's one thing to write off the list!

$1,500 for the set, and they're not even mounted yet. :(
    Seems about right. Good work. Any pix?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    I came across this one a week or two ago, and I can't put it out of my mind....

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    xwesx said:

I came across this one a week or two ago, and I can't put it out of my mind....

I test drove one of those before I found the Audi TDI. I couldn't ascertain with certainty that it wasn't a corporate lease, so I didn't take a chance on it. I liked it a lot, though. Not as pretty as the one you got.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Seems about right. Good work. Any pix?

Only stock photos. I am having the set shipped to Oregon, and I'll pick them up on our way through before we head up to Alaska. The wheels are Black Rhino "Arches" in bronze. I think it will work well with the black cherry color on the Forester.

• Options
    Hey @stickguy : I just realized that if that Philly dealer actually gives it to you for 4% less than invoice it might even pay for your moonroof.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Nice wheels. What brand of tire did you end up ordering? What size tires?
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I like that Passat. Never knew you could get that in a manual.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I found a nice (to me) set of 18” alloys. Mounted with Vredestein snows, inc. tax and shipped to an installer, $1280. Son picked a wheel he liked better which made it about $1400. Will pay for itself probably if he doesn’t have to put tires on at lease end, and he can resell the snow package.

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Nice wheels. What brand of tire did you end up ordering? What size tires?

Yokohama Geolandar G015, 215x70R15. They are basically identical in size (0.7% larger circumference) to the stock size of 225x55R17.
  • Options
    Is Vredestein a Dutch tire? Seems like they've been getting really good ratings.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I like that Passat. Never knew you could get that in a manual.

Same here! I had to do a double-take. Manual... diesel... and blue over ivory?! I'm in love. Hahah
  • Options
    I’m not sure about the diesel, but the rest pushes all my buttons.

• Options
    This is the best video I saw of carbonized gray in the sun. Nice sparkles. I like it, not too dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FsQYni9qk

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    benjaminh said:

A Maverick with the options and accessories you'd like, plus this shell, will be something like $32k with destination.

That's an interesting comparison... The CR-V is a great CUV, but the performance numbers aren't going to be in the same category as the Maverick with the 2.0T.
  • Options
    corvette said:

benjaminh said:

A Maverick with the options and accessories you'd like, plus this shell, will be something like $32k with destination.

That's an interesting comparison... The CR-V is a great CUV, but the performance numbers aren't going to be in the same category as the Maverick with the 2.0T.
    Probably not. But strangely one video I watched said that Ford is targeting a 0-60 for the Maverick hybrid of 8.6, but the 0-60 target for the Maverick 2.0 turbo was only 7.5, which is better but clearly nowhere near the Escape with that engine. I don't know why it would be so much slower than an Escape with the 2.0, and so maybe that was bad information? Or a bad guess by Ford? But the C & D test of the CR-V turbo is also 7.5 0-60. In any case, we'll need to wait for the embargo on the Maverick to end to find out. I'm guessing a 0-60 on the Maverick 2.0 of about 6.5 seconds, which would be great from my pov, but we'll see.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, the Carbonized Gray does look good that video. Here's a screen shot. Actually reminds me a bit of the Lunar Silver of my TLX, which also has flake in it.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Glad I got my Michelins almost the first day of the Costco sale. Shortly after I got my set of CrossClimate2 tires they went out of stock in my size, and it's not clear if they are going to get them back in stock before the sale ends. Costco still has the Michelin Defender T + H in stock, which is no doubt still a good tire, but I don't think it's on the same level as the CC.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@28firefighter said:
    In other news, Jeep made it 1800 miles before first issues. Is at the Jeep dealer for half a dozen software updates, a suspension rattle in the rear, and a weird clicking noise in the front at low speeds.

Clicking in the front is probably lower ball joins need torqued to spec. That’s been a common problem

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    I think the Carbonized Gray Explorer looks better then the Magnetic Gray.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

@28firefighter said:

In other news, Jeep made it 1800 miles before first issues. Is at the Jeep dealer for half a dozen software updates, a suspension rattle in the rear, and a weird clicking noise in the front at low speeds.

Clicking in the front is probably lower ball joins need torqued to spec. That’s been a common problem

kinda sounds like something the factory should have done. But what do I know?

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

Tight ball joints really aren’t that important. B)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited September 2021
    Tight is a relative term. :smile: There are a few things to look for at delivery.

Tires often come inflated rock hard (40+ PSI), fuses not seated that cause any number of warning lights. One guy had his taken back to the shop at the end of delivery for an hour and a half’s worth of S/W updates.

But… I can’t wait to get mine!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    I just want mine back - I really love it!
  • Options
    Not a surprise, but....

• Options
    even more happy that I decided to go big power! Once it finally gets ordered of course.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    dad23 said:

@breld, is today still punch day?

Yup - went really smooth. We showed up for our 11:00 appointment and my wife was driving the Model Y home around 11:30. Regardless of how you feel about the actual product, the buying process is pretty slick.

The associate was naturally enthusiastic about delivering to us our first Tesla! We didn't have the heart to tell him that we're buying it already planning on trading it in a few months.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited September 2021
    30 minutes? I’ve made a couple of cash transactions and they weren’t that quick.

Any chance that the Model Y will win out and the Polestar will get sold?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I think the X took 20 minutes. Congrats @breld - now go take it on a trip.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

@kyfdx said:
    I have the Pilot A/S. They are "okay" in the snow. Not what I would pick if I actually lived in snow country. Especially, since he has a set of summer rubber.

On which car are the Pilot A/S?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    sda said:

@kyfdx said:

I have the Pilot A/S. They are "okay" in the snow. Not what I would pick if I actually lived in snow country. Especially, since he has a set of summer rubber.

On which car are the Pilot A/S?

VW GTI

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    au1994 said:

30 minutes? I’ve made a couple of cash transactions and they weren’t that quick.

Any chance that the Model Y will win out and the Polestar will get sold?

Wait, they still have that antique? Might have even needed a wash by now.

and of course that is possible. As is they both disappear before Thanksgiving.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

@tifighter said:
    Well, today I listed the toy-

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/tacoma-2011-bmw-speed-manual/7377511195.html

A friend of @28firefighter is coming by tonight to check it out, and I have another local BMWCCA guy that wants to see it as well. I'm a little sad to list it, honestly, but after a road trip with my wife this past weekend, we'd like a little more space. I got two offers from Vroom and Carmax for reference, and Carmax actually came in higher for the first time in my experience. Anyhow, more to come.

Sweet car, I like a lot.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    gorgeous car. If I was ready for toy that would be a really nice one to have!

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    tifighter said:

Well, today I listed the toy-

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/tacoma-2011-bmw-speed-manual/7377511195.html

A friend of @28firefighter is coming by tonight to check it out, and I have another local BMWCCA guy that wants to see it as well. I'm a little sad to list it, honestly, but after a road trip with my wife this past weekend, we'd like a little more space. I got two offers from Vroom and Carmax for reference, and Carmax actually came in higher for the first time in my experience. Anyhow, more to come.

I have unblurred your license plate, sir, and now I have the top secret information you display on public roads every day. mwuhahahahaha!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    stickguy said:

Tesla must be the only dealer in the area that didn't have your pictures up on the wall of fame.

Nah, @breld has avoided lots of dealers - Kia, Mitsubishi, Fiat, etc....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    maybe, but they probably have pictures on the breakroom wall, telling salespeople to run to help if they walk in because it is a guaranteed sale.

• Options

Jeep is back. 6 software updates, one recall for the charge port, one set of torqued ball joints. The Transmission module flash is most noticeable - much smoother downshifts now - and then also the fact that the regenerative braking option now latches and doesn’t need to be turned on with every start.

• Options

Moral of the story: don’t ask too much for your car so that it sits unsold and people have enough time to find it, clone the plate, and do lord knows what.

Anyway, I never thought of the cloned plate angle. Wonder if that happens elsewhere. Still not hard to get that info if you are looking for it, though. Drive around for a day and you are bound to find a similar vehicle to your own if it is common enough. And you should own a common car if you are a criminal. It is in the handbook.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@28firefighter said:
    Jeep is back. 6 software updates, one recall for the charge port, one set of torqued ball joints. The Transmission module flash is most noticeable - much smoother downshifts now - and then also the fact that the regenerative braking option now latches and doesn’t need to be turned on with every start.

Ok, I want that last one!

• Options

@qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

Ok, I want that last one!

If you can suffer through the Mensa members running your local Jeep service lane, you too can have it!

• Options
    got ambitious today after watching a video (chris fix maybe) on best way to clean your windows inside the car. Multiple steps, and involved using a magic eraser. Can't wait to get it outside tomorrow to see how it worked! Really can't tell in the garage.

had to do it tonight because the wife left me stranded all yesterday afternoon and all day today, having to go into the office to train somebody. So I was carless. Thankfully I had no place I really had to go that I couldn't do tonight. Heading to the finger lakes tomorrow for our anniversary so had to gas up, clean the windows and go to the bank. Exciting stuff.

RDX will actually break 10k miles this weekend, at almost exactly 18 months. And isn't likely to go up much the rest of the year since we might be done with long trips until Christmas.

will need another oil change when I got back. Acura dealer was nice enough to send me another coupon good until 9/30. $69.99 for oil, filter, tire rotation, and new wiper blade inserts. Plus fluids and MPI, and a wash if I want it. Seems like a good deal to me!