Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

1248624872489249124922533

Comments

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,342

    Just had to jump my friend’s 19 Acadia. Guess the battery is shot. Car is charging. Crappy battery life.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,527
    out of curiosity, poked around in Rodo to see what kind of deals were out there (it's easy!)

    Kona unlimited AWD or an ILX Premium both came out to be about $340/month (all with just 1st payment DAS). Off of ~$32,000 MSRP. So not exotic cars, but nice, well equipped, options. Probably were $290 6-8 months ago before prices went nuts, but beggars can't be choosers! And at least , things that would not be hard to live with. Better options than the Sentra SV at $290/month!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,342

    I like the Kona. Same power train as Elantra sport, right?

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • corvettecorvette United StatesMember Posts: 8,566
    edited June 18

    Enterprise offices I’ve been in have two gas prices. One if you pay before you drive off is comparable to gas at the pump. The other, if you return the car empty is about $2/gallon higher than market.

    But, they get you with prepaying for gas, as well. With the schemes that I've seen, you pay for whatever gas is in the car, and are then entitled to drop the car off on empty at no additional cost. How many people are going to drive an unfamiliar car until it's on fumes? Most people are going to return the car with several gallons of fuel (which they paid for) still in the tank.

    The worst offender in recent memory, my Tundra appears to have eight or nine gallons left once the gauge is on E and it shows zero range.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,527
    tjc78 said:

    I like the Kona. Same power train as Elantra sport, right?

    yeah, I like them too. It has the 1.6t/DSG. Loved that powertrain in my Elantra. But the slightly lower powered version (like they put in the Tucson). Not likely to notice the difference though. Definitely a car I would be interested in trying out. Depending on exactly what I need out of one at the time.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,247
    edited June 18
    tjc78 said:

    @stickguy said:

    I always liked being at some company event with a "big shot" who felt like spending, and just put it all on their card. Good times!

    I was always very friendly with the Buyers.. they used to get taken OUT! Sports games, fancy dinners, drinks and more. Fun times. Now I sit in my basement office 10 hours a day.


    Hmmm…have we met. Career purchasing guy here.

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,247
    edited June 18
    The golfers in the group will appreciate this. The one trip I was offered and had to decline was a trip on a private jet from Dallas to Brookline for the 99 Ryder Cup. The one that Justin Leonard won with that phenomenal 158 ft putt. Ok, maybe not that long.

    It was just too much and the funny thing was, it was up to me to decline, nobody in leadership was telling me to decline. Another person took the trip. He was a Brit so he probably didn’t enjoy it as much as I would have.

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,342

    @28firefighter said:
    I traveled 125k miles per year domestically at the peak of my consulting days. Meant no matter what I booked per company policy, I ended up in first class, premium rental cars, and suites at virtually any hotel. I generally was pretty frugal eating out though even though I was always billable.

    I happily travel one step above cargo with no status anymore in return for having breakfast with my wife and son each morning and tucking my little one in each night. A worthy trade.

    This sounds a lot like me! I used to rack up the upgrades and points. Once my wife was pregnant with our son I knew I had to come off the road.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,309
    au1994 said:

    The golfers in the group will appreciate this. The one trip I was offered and had to decline was a trip on a private jet from Dallas to Brookline for the 99 Ryder Cup. The one that Justin Leonard won with that phenomenal 158 ft putt. Ok, maybe not that long.

    It was just too much and the funny thing was, it was up to me to decline, nobody in leadership was telling me to decline. Another person took the trip. He was a Brit so he probably didn’t enjoy it as much as I would have.

    Nothing on the same scale as that, but a funny story nonetheless:

    There used to be an annual event at a golf resort about 3 hours from here, that ran for a couple of days, featuring some minor celebrities and media types playing with business folk. Nobody paid their own way as businesses bought slots to bestow upon their favored clients. It wasn't cheap and you were at their mercy while there since most companies taking part arranged vans or buses to take the clients there and back. Apparently it was all eating, drinking and low-grade debauchery while there. The golf was mostly a necessary excuse.

    One year I was invited by Unisys but had the sense to turn it down. But a few Deputy Ministers did not. In the government structure here that is the equivalent to the CEO of a govt department, the highest-ranking non-political Civil Servant in a department. I knew one of them fairly well from being on committees and such with him, and he seemed like a good guy.

    Back then the local newspaper had a small agate type entry in the sports section listing the names of golfers who scored holes-in-one scored on area courses. One morning I was reading it and saw the Deputy's name and the course. I immediately connected the dots and realized it was at the event in question where it occurred. I sent him a congratulatory email, not thinking it was anything untoward. A day later I get an absolutely panicked phone call from him, showing a side of him I had never seen before. He had tried to conceal his presence from the elected Minister of his department (not unusual, as they came and went with great regularity and were often not held in high esteem by the senior civil service who actually ran things, though technically they were the Big Boss) pleading with me to make like Sgt. Schultz if anyone asked me about his presence there, since the Minister apparently had been led to believe he was elsewhere. I agreed only because it was extremely unlikely anyone would even know enough to ask me if the question of his whereabouts came up. Some time later the storm had passed and he thanked me for keeping silent. I found it remarkable that someone in such a powerful position would act like a schoolboy playing hooky.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 18,348

    My son is riding back with me after the Nashville Cup race; if all goes well he's picking up a 2018 Sunset Orange 330i xDrive. No pics yet.

    Very nice.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,479

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTMember Posts: 14,831
    au1994 said:

    Since I’ve strayed off topic, here’s one on topic. I got a lease quote on a 4xe for giggles. $738 on a 36/12.

    $56,500 msrp and the 7500 credit is still available. I used @nyccarguy’s line and asked if he knew I only wanted one.

    If you are serious about a 4Xe, you should head over to our other hang out. You won't get 2 for $738, but you'll come close.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,342

    That’s a nice one. How do those steering wheels hold up? I could see that getting nasty in a short time

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,247
    nyccarguy said:

    au1994 said:

    Since I’ve strayed off topic, here’s one on topic. I got a lease quote on a 4xe for giggles. $738 on a 36/12.

    $56,500 msrp and the 7500 credit is still available. I used @nyccarguy’s line and asked if he knew I only wanted one.

    If you are serious about a 4Xe, you should head over to our other hang out. You won't get 2 for $738, but you'll come close.
    I think with a rack in the receiver hitch I can make it work. Can you PM me the other hangout?

    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser White over Tan
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,086

    I traveled 125k miles per year domestically at the peak of my consulting days. Meant no matter what I booked per company policy, I ended up in first class, premium rental cars, and suites at virtually any hotel. I generally was pretty frugal eating out though even though I was always billable.

    I happily travel one step above cargo with no status anymore in return for having breakfast with my wife and son each morning and tucking my little one in each night. A worthy trade.

    You get to travel a step above cargo?! You lucky dog.... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,918

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,918
    tjc78 said:

    That’s a nice one. How do those steering wheels hold up? I could see that getting nasty in a short time


    I know that they didn't hold up to well on the E46 ZHPs. If you wear driving gloves all the time they reportedly will hold up fine.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLMember Posts: 5,864
    Have only driven a couple of Kona's at work but seem to be a pretty decent vehicle. If I got a Hyundai, not sure what model I'd get as they no longer make the Elantra GT hatch, one I really did like. To bad I didn't swap out of the Tucson the day I bought it for the new silver Elantra GT I found outside the front door. If I had done that, probably still be driving it now though it would have closer to 80K on it. I was putting on 13K/year back then. The new Elantra's are a bit too long for my needs of garage fitment unfortunately. Guess I'd have to get an Accent like my kid has.
    Truly hoping this chip shortage ends as soon as possible so there will be more selection out there. Sure a lot of folks are real unhappy right now with the lack of vehicles.

    2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,918
    edited June 19

    Yesterday I talked a while with the NCM at my dealer. He’s having big issues with getting new inventory. BMW Manufacturing in SC is cranking out SAVs for China and Europe. Cars that have been ordered are being rolled from 112 status back to 105 because parts(primarily chips) aren’t available. Wireless charging and Wi-Fi hotspots are being deleted due to that as well. He told me he likely won’t be getting any used M2 Comps because they are bringing auction prices higher than the original MSRP.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • henrynhenryn Houston, TXMember Posts: 3,258
    mjfloyd1 said:

    Punch pending. I’m following the footsteps of @28firefighter and @qbrozen and have a 4xe build ordered

    White with saddle interior

    Black hard top (body colored is $1000 more)

    Cold weather pkg

    Safety

    Advanced safety

    Anti spin rear axle

    Proximity key

    All weather floor mats

    Congrats! Sounds really nice! Are you planning to keep or flip?
    2019 Chrysler Pacifica, 2013 Ford F150 XL
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,637

    Planning to keep. Trading my daughter’s 2017 Accord. Got $500 less than Vroom but get the sales tax savings.

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,918
    edited June 19

    @laurasdada said:
    Baby may be doing a bad, bad thing; again...but dodged a bullet today...so far.

    Earlier in the week, I told the lovely fiancé that I was thinking of a road trip on Saturday. Naturally, her first question was, "How many pairs of shoes should I bring?" Followed by, somewhat non-sensically, "Where are we going?" The always wrong answer to question #1 was, "One pair of comfortable shoes will be absolutely fine." But, much to my surprise and delight, only two pairs were brought. The answer to question #2, as always was, "I don't know, it's a surprise. Even to me." The LF does like a surprise, and I've done very well with them over the years, but her wont is to know in advance of said surprise, well, what the surprise is. And, how many pairs of shoes she should bring (the record is 5 pairs for a one night stay; 10 pairs for our 10 days in California earlier this month).

    So, only an hour later than I had noted should be our departure time, we hopped in the A7 PHEV, waved to all the friends and relatives waving goodbye on the docks, with Gopher, Doc and Julie by our sides, and under the eerie Twilight Zone like sounds emitted, set off electrically. For the record, the Audi is a marvelous high speed cruise missle, quiet, smooth and accurate. As well as achieving ~50mpg for the 100+ mile voyage. I know that does not turn on most here, but hey, it's my party and I'll free-wheel if I want to...

    An hour (late-ish) we arrived in the bucolic town of Topsfield, MA; home to a well known annual fair. I'll leave it to you to guess the name of the fair (hint: not Scarborough). Our final destination was the Topsfield Motor Car Company, a nice boutique used car dealer. Germans marques preferred, notably the products of Ferry Porsche.

    Upon pulling in to the establishment, the LF immediately shot me the, "You man-child! You just bought a new car! You are not having another mid-life crisis as long as I'm in charge! Now, turn this barge right around and let's go shoe shopping!" Ok, not quite true... Actually, upon entering, the first sight was a Vette convertible; she thought that we were going to rent that and continue the cruise day.

    But, the real reason was inside the showroom, among the assorted 911, 944 and BMW 2002, all more the cups of tea for the landed gentry here. But, as the LF turns a "special" age in November, and she has been talking about wanting a "luxury" car for a bit (preferably topless, feel free to run with that), it is my intent to buy her one, what she wants, not what I'd prefer (he says gritting his teeth...).

    So, in the back of the showroom, ready to be driven out the door, was:

    Beautiful One Owner! 2018 Mercedes-Benz SL450 with 36161 miles. Finished in Black over Saddle Brown & Black leather with Black Ash Wood Trim...

    I pointed to it, and said, "LF, that is yours for the next hour, and if you truly desire, I will buy it for you; happy birthday!" It took her a minute to comprehend, she was speechless, and tears welled up (mine, as I knew the price!). We talked to sales-dude, low pressure and nice. We drove through the lovely countryside, thin, somewhat twisty lanes. It handled better than I expected, rode well, had a great, throaty exhaust, perhaps artificial. All with the top down on a spectacular New England afternoon. "Do I get to take it home today?" Well, my dear, I was hoping that we could go to lunch and discuss, it would be a third car, insurance, not drivable in winter (run-flat summer sneakers), etc. But, as always, whatever Lola wants...
    One caveat, towards full lock, left or right, there was a groaning sound, sales dude said it was probably the tires. I think not, asked for inspection and further explanation.

    So, it is being contemplated. She's not sure she wants the three car deal (she is obviously in no way related to anyone on this board!) as she's also just so darn practical. But, we'll continue to review, we may be going to look at an '18 BMW M640xi tomorrow. Soft top, but four seats and AWD, so a better year rounder, which means she could trade in her '19 CX-5. As well as 4 series verts, E Class verts and whatever else catches her fancy. Unfortunately, like everywhere, tough time to be used car shopping. Darn supply/demand imbalance!

    I'll keep y'all in the loop, of course. And, as always, donations gladly accepted. She's worth it, trust me.

    I don’t think there are any bad choices among the cars you have named. There’s an M6 drop top at my dealer but my TJ is the only non- classic car I’ll tolerate with a cloth top. Tell your better half that 3 cars is nothing- that you know people with 5 or more. I always tell my wife that Rob Siegel(AKA: The Hack Mechanic) always has 9-12 cars in his collection, so she usually relents.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 189,758

    @laurasdada said:

    Baby may be doing a bad, bad thing; again...but dodged a bullet today...so far.

    Earlier in the week, I told the lovely fiancé that I was thinking of a road trip on Saturday. Naturally, her first question was, "How many pairs of shoes should I bring?" Followed by, somewhat non-sensically, "Where are we going?" The always wrong answer to question #1 was, "One pair of comfortable shoes will be absolutely fine." But, much to my surprise and delight, only two pairs were brought. The answer to question #2, as always was, "I don't know, it's a surprise. Even to me." The LF does like a surprise, and I've done very well with them over the years, but her wont is to know in advance of said surprise, well, what the surprise is. And, how many pairs of shoes she should bring (the record is 5 pairs for a one night stay; 10 pairs for our 10 days in California earlier this month).

    So, only an hour later than I had noted should be our departure time, we hopped in the A7 PHEV, waved to all the friends and relatives waving goodbye on the docks, with Gopher, Doc and Julie by our sides, and under the eerie Twilight Zone like sounds emitted, set off electrically. For the record, the Audi is a marvelous high speed cruise missle, quiet, smooth and accurate. As well as achieving ~50mpg for the 100+ mile voyage. I know that does not turn on most here, but hey, it's my party and I'll free-wheel if I want to...

    An hour (late-ish) we arrived in the bucolic town of Topsfield, MA; home to a well known annual fair. I'll leave it to you to guess the name of the fair (hint: not Scarborough). Our final destination was the Topsfield Motor Car Company, a nice boutique used car dealer. Germans marques preferred, notably the products of Ferry Porsche.

    Upon pulling in to the establishment, the LF immediately shot me the, "You man-child! You just bought a new car! You are not having another mid-life crisis as long as I'm in charge! Now, turn this barge right around and let's go shoe shopping!" Ok, not quite true... Actually, upon entering, the first sight was a Vette convertible; she thought that we were going to rent that and continue the cruise day.

    But, the real reason was inside the showroom, among the assorted 911, 944 and BMW 2002, all more the cups of tea for the landed gentry here. But, as the LF turns a "special" age in November, and she has been talking about wanting a "luxury" car for a bit (preferably topless, feel free to run with that), it is my intent to buy her one, what she wants, not what I'd prefer (he says gritting his teeth...).

    So, in the back of the showroom, ready to be driven out the door, was:

    Beautiful One Owner! 2018 Mercedes-Benz SL450 with 36161 miles. Finished in Black over Saddle Brown & Black leather with Black Ash Wood Trim...

    I pointed to it, and said, "LF, that is yours for the next hour, and if you truly desire, I will buy it for you; happy birthday!" It took her a minute to comprehend, she was speechless, and tears welled up (mine, as I knew the price!). We talked to sales-dude, low pressure and nice. We drove through the lovely countryside, thin, somewhat twisty lanes. It handled better than I expected, rode well, had a great, throaty exhaust, perhaps artificial. All with the top down on a spectacular New England afternoon. "Do I get to take it home today?" Well, my dear, I was hoping that we could go to lunch and discuss, it would be a third car, insurance, not drivable in winter (run-flat summer sneakers), etc. But, as always, whatever Lola wants...

    One caveat, towards full lock, left or right, there was a groaning sound, sales dude said it was probably the tires. I think not, asked for inspection and further explanation.

    So, it is being contemplated. She's not sure she wants the three car deal (she is obviously in no way related to anyone on this board!) as she's also just so darn practical. But, we'll continue to review, we may be going to look at an '18 BMW M640xi tomorrow. Soft top, but four seats and AWD, so a better year rounder, which means she could trade in her '19 CX-5. As well as 4 series verts, E Class verts and whatever else catches her fancy. Unfortunately, like everywhere, tough time to be used car shopping. Darn supply/demand imbalance!

    I'll keep y'all in the loop, of course. And, as always, donations gladly accepted. She's worth it, trust me.

    I don’t think there are any bad choices among the cars you have named. There’s an M6 drop top at my dealer but my TJ is the only car I’ll tolerate with a cloth top. Tell your better half that 3 cars is nothing- that you know people with 5 or more. I always tell my wife that Rob Siegel(AKA: The Hack Mechanic) always has 9-12 cars in his collection, so she usually relents.


    Yeah, and if Rob jumped off a tall building, you would too, right?

    :wink:

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,342

    @mjfloyd1
    Congrats! Nice build.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulMember Posts: 968
    xwesx said:

    If I recall correctly, the average price of a new car for 2021 is over $35,000. That seems insane to me; inflation is real!

    I paid just over $23,000 for my last new car (our 2010 Forester) in September of 2009.

    Average new car price in 2019 was already $36K... vs 29K when you bought your Forester. Of course, 36K today probably gets you tech goodies that couldn't be had even if you spent 36K then.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulMember Posts: 968
    stickguy said:

    I really tried to buy a prior generation Civic when I was shopping for one car (maybe when I got the Sonata?_ But the manual seats were a deal breaker. And I think there may have been a model at some point with power seat which was a bit better, but there was some reason it got cut from the list.

    I really don't like cars with small seats, especially short cushions or ones that don't tilt up enough in the front.

    This!! A lot of cars have cushions that are too short for my sensibilities, but power seats can save some of those. Definitely one of those must-have items, even tho our Jetta does OK without.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,918

    @Michaell said:
    Yeah, and if Rob jumped off a tall building, you would too, right?

    :wink:

    He almost bought a Jensen Interceptor with the agreement that I’d buy it from him once he was sick of it.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 42,527
    MJ, are you buying or leasing? You mentioned a sales tax credit. I know in NJ that works differently on a lease.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 189,758

    @Michaell said:

    Yeah, and if Rob jumped off a tall building, you would too, right?

    :wink:

    He almost bought a Jensen Interceptor with the agreement that I’d buy it from him once he was sick of it.


    Dodged that bullet, did you?

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,918

    A recent issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars had an article on affordable classics that are relatively reliable and/or easy and inexpensive to maintain and repair. The 1965-1970 Mustang and MGB were unsurprising picks, but one that stuck out to me was the 1990-up Alfa Spider. Apparently the rustproofing was markedly improved and Bosch L-Jectronic fuel injection was fitted. Lo and behold, a 1994 with 9k miles popped up on BaT. My wife saw it and loved it. It’s at $17,500 with 3 days left. I’d be very tempted if I could nab it for under $20,000, but I fully expect it to bring over $25,000.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,702
    BaT is like the PNW housing market, but for old cars

    I love it, but this is getting wacky
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,086

    Baby may be doing a bad, bad thing; again...but dodged a bullet today...so far.

    I'll keep y'all in the loop, of course. And, as always, donations gladly accepted. She's worth it, trust me.

    You, sir, are a fine storyteller! Thanks for the entertaining read.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,086
    Michaell said:



    Yeah, and if Rob jumped off a tall building, you would too, right?

    :wink:

    Why not?! It's called "BASE jumping."

    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 189,758
    fintail said:

    BaT is like the PNW housing market, but for old cars

    I love it, but this is getting wacky

    I suspect that a lot of this is the money folks saved in the past year needing to find an outlet.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 53,702
    Must be all of those unused vacation budgets, spurious PPP money, etc. I wish I had 30K begging to be spent B)
    Michaell said:

    fintail said:

    BaT is like the PNW housing market, but for old cars

    I love it, but this is getting wacky

    I suspect that a lot of this is the money folks saved in the past year needing to find an outlet.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 18,348
    fintail said:

    BaT is like the PNW housing market, but for old cars

    I love it, but this is getting wacky

    Yikes! How much did that sell for new?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,637

    @stickguy said:
    MJ, are you buying or leasing? You mentioned a sales tax credit. I know in NJ that works differently on a lease.

    Buying

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,479

    @stickguy said:
    MJ, are you buying or leasing? You mentioned a sales tax credit. I know in NJ that works differently on a lease.

    You still get the tax credit but only up to the tax owed of course.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 54-car history and counting!

  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZMember Posts: 5,101
    Michaell said:

    Yeah, and if Rob jumped off a tall building, you would too, right

    Trump didn't win, so there's no danger of that.

    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,637
    edited June 20

    @qbrozen said:

    @stickguy said:
    MJ, are you buying or leasing? You mentioned a sales tax credit. I know in NJ that works differently on a lease.

    You still get the tax credit but only up to the tax owed of course.

    Yep the federal tax credit due to it being a hybrid is only deductible up to your federal tax burden/ liability.

    With the state sales tax, here we pay tax on the difference so I “save” 7% on the dollar amount of the trade in.

    Also the local-ish place has $200 doc fees vs $500 where I was considering earlier (and 2.5 hours closer)

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 14,918

    There’s a 1994 E500 on BaT that is located about 30 minutes from my house. I was interested until I saw the miles- 225k.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 194,200
    mjfloyd1 said:

    @qbrozen said:

    @stickguy said:

    MJ, are you buying or leasing? You mentioned a sales tax credit. I know in NJ that works differently on a lease.

    You still get the tax credit but only up to the tax owed of course.

    Yep the federal tax credit due to it being a hybrid is only deductible up to your federal tax burden/ liability.

    With the state sales tax, here we pay tax on the difference so I “save” 7% on the dollar amount of the trade in.

    Also the local-ish place has $200 doc fees vs $500 where I was considering earlier (and 2.5 hours closer)


    When I bought the diesel in Indiana in 2016, doc fees were capped at $150.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,637

    I think current doc fee cap is $200 - they are charging $199.99 :)

Sign In or Register to comment.