Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,643

@nyccarguy said:
    So I have a very good customer that is an HVAC guy. He came up to my house tonight to have a look at my A/C. What to replace it with. How to make it cooler and more efficient. He told me my condenser was shot, my air handler was facing the wrong way, and my duct work is not sized properly. He made some suggestions to me regarding the duct work, placement of the supply vents & returns. He also explained to me why he would make things different. He also suggested an inverter that would give me some heat before I really need to crank up the baseboards.

He took measurements & is going to give me a price tomorrow.

Good luck. Hopefully he can make it right without totally breaking the bank. I would be so miserable without AC this long already.

Are home units in short supply? I know the large commercial stuff is taking 12+ weeks right now unless you can find a suitable unit on the ground.

2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLMember Posts: 5,976
    A/C is a must down here in South Florida and I seem to remember it got hot in New York/Connecticut in the summers though we always spent our summers in Connecticut, Clinton, and it was a bit cooler at night. I do miss those wonderful summers to be honest!!

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

• au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,411
    mjfloyd1 said:

Where is Jenny’s number?

867-5309

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 1,930

@au1994 said:
    867-5309

It was gonna be on the hood. Maybe later

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 18,833

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited August 6
    qbrozen said:

One down ….

Looks ready to go to war. :p there’s a guy down the street that has a cameo Jeep with a biohazard symbol on the side and something to the effect of being in the zombie apocalypse business.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 198,776
    nyccarguy said:

So I have a very good customer that is an HVAC guy. He came up to my house tonight to have a look at my A/C. What to replace it with. How to make it cooler and more efficient. He told me my condenser was shot, my air handler was facing the wrong way, and my duct work is not sized properly. He made some suggestions to me regarding the duct work, placement of the supply vents & returns. He also explained to me why he would make things different. He also suggested an inverter that would give me some heat before I really need to crank up the baseboards.

By "inverter", does he mean heat pump, instead of a straight A/C unit?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,219
    venture said:

Bradd - In your search for a possible replacement for the pilot; if you get a chance have a look at the Subaru Ascent. When we were looking for my wife's new car last year she had it narrowed down to a Pilot or an Ascent. You can get 7 or 8 seats and there is quite a bit of room behind the rear seat. It also doesn't drive big.

I would be interested to hear your take on it.

A friend of mine in Iowa recently replaced his 2010 Outback with an Ascent. I didn't get to drive it on a recent visit, but I was at least able to sit in it. Wow; really big on the inside! Thoughtfully laid out in classic Subaru fashion, but absolutely beautiful with the deep blue exterior and the white leather interior, which nicely contrasted with the black accents in there.

For a large family, I'd say that one kicks the pants off of any five-seater with 7-seater pretenses, at least. His had two rows of captains chairs and a bench in the back, and this is definitely a vehicle that can comfortably hold full-size people in all seven seats (though, perhaps not in the third row if those "full size" are "plus size").
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,219
    qbrozen said:

y'all are failing to keep on top of me about my signature. lol. Just now updated.

We are driving the heck out of this Jeep. Over 800 miles already.

Finally managed 800 miles?! Congrats!

I think I've put nearly 7,000 on my Q7 since you picked up the forksy.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,643

@kyfdx said:
    By "inverter", does he mean heat pump, instead of a straight A/C unit?

That’s what I was thinking. Probably a smart idea for the fall/early spring to take the chill off in the mornings without needing to fire up the boiler.

2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Member Posts: 25,966
    What does he mean by "inverter." Is that a heat pump variation, the version that changes compressor and blower speeds with demand load?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 29,816

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Where is Jenny’s number?

I have yet to find stickers that will work and don’t cost a fortune

'21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited. 55-car history and counting!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTMember Posts: 14,975

What does he mean by "inverter." Is that a heat pump variation, the version that changes compressor and blower speeds with demand load?

Exactly.

Right on the money as well @tjc78 .

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

nyccarguy said:

Exactly.

Things to consider:

Your duct work was put in specifically for A/C, right? Is the vent location conducive to heating? If the vents are in the ceiling, or high up on the wall, I wouldn't bother with trying to heat through them.

Heat pumps, while basically the same thing as an A/C unit, tend to have a lot more problems in the winter vs. your A/C unit in the summer. If your heating system is good/efficient, it might not be worth the hassle for a heat pump. In any case, you'll still have your baseboard heating. It isn't like you'll be able to get rid of it.

Your latest guy sounds like he knows what he is doing. But, what changes are possible in duct work, that is already inside the walls?

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@nyccarguy said:
    Exactly.

I thought flux capacitor :)

edited August 6
    In my idle thoughts I think about replacing my convertible with something newer and with a standard shift. I looked at Mustangs and those prices are through the roof even for miled up or modified examples. I remember someone mentioned that the only way to not get hosed on a car purchase in this environment is to go with something that wasn’t in high demand by collectors or enthusiasts.

I came up with this:
    https://rochester.craigslist.org/ctd/d/adams-basin-2007-mitsubishi-eclipse/7348913341.html

They were looked down upon when new (as was the Chrysler Sebring) but the hardtop I owned was flawless in my 7 years of ownership. A comparable Mustang would be at least twice the price. The GT version was fun to drive.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 43,419
    I love it. If I was already up there would look at it for my summer car. Assuming it’s clean and checks out on a PPI. go buy it, and when you get tired of it let me know!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,243

@nyccarguy said:

Is that your wallet I see wide open and empty? :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Now we know what the “replace the Pilot” fund is going to!

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,717
    jmonroe1 said:

Is that your wallet I see wide open and empty? :'(

jmonroe

I was wondering where those moths came from. B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ab348 said:
    I was wondering where those moths came from. B)

Too bad moths aren’t acceptable currency in the USA. :(

jmonroe

• breldbreld Member Posts: 5,900
    Maybe someone already posted this...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37243326/jeep-wrangler-4xe-plug-in-hybrid-price-increase/

Way to go group...single-handedly affecting the market pricing of a car model.

2021 Polestar 2 - 2021 Tesla Model Y - 2021 Volvo XC90

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,153

The Sunset Orange 2019 M2 that was for sale at a Louisville dealer in May is now at the BMW Store- priced at around $3,000 more. Initially it was a BMW Corporate car; I suspect that the two people who owned it afterwards found it to be too small or too hardcore for their tastes- or they could also have been the dreaded wearers…

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

@breld said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37243326/jeep-wrangler-4xe-plug-in-hybrid-price-increase/

And to think there were doubters that this site didn’t have manufacturers lurking in here. I guess that myth can dispelled now.😫

jmonroe

breld said:

Does this make me an Influencer? If so my teenager might actually be impressed with something.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 16,347
    edited August 6
    @au1994,
    Only if you have a TikTok or IG. ;)
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT

@au1994,
    Only if you have a TikTok or IG. ;)

Well that counts me out! I loathe both of those. Too many times I watch him stare blankly at his phone, swiping away.

@au194,
    I hear you brother!
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
    mjfloyd1 said:
    The midsized trucks could certainly work. I’m really more interested in the bed than towing (I may never do that!). But I can’t see getting a FS PU or a large SUV.

A ranger or frontier? Sure. Ridgeline are nice too. All just a foot longer and a lot more expensive!

breld said:

Sounds like a couple of guys just got a $3k flip profit.

Mine had the first price increase. I at least avoided the latest price increase

The Sunset Orange 2019 M2 that was for sale at a Louisville dealer in May is now at the BMW Store- priced at around $3,000 more. Initially it was a BMW Corporate car; I suspect that the two people who owned it afterwards found it to be too small or too hardcore for their tastes- or they could also have been the dreaded wearers…

Wait, it wasn’t selling at one dealer so they just moved it to another and bumped the price? Is the second dealer in a more affluent location? Do they really think that the market for that unique of a car wouldn’t be following it’s travels and are now even less likely to consider it?

I am constantly amazed at how dealers work so hard to not sell cars.

@mjfloyd1 said:

Read the fine print, it’s retroactive until delivery. :'(

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

jmonroe

Already verified price protection thankfully

@mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

jmonroe

Already verified price protection thankfully

I could have sold you a service if you didn’t do that. Are you sure you don’t want double protection? ;)

jmonroe

I’d only do it if I had quadruple protection

edited August 6

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Wait, it wasn’t selling at one dealer so they just moved it to another and bumped the price? Is the second dealer in a more affluent location? Do they really think that the market for that unique of a car wouldn’t be following it’s travels and are now even less likely to consider it?

No, somebody-I suspect a “wearer”- bought it in May in Louisville and then traded it in August to The BMW Store in Cincinnati.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,694

@oldfarmer50 said:

No, somebody-I suspect a “wearer”- bought it in May in Louisville and then traded it in in August at The BMW Store in Cincinnati.

Or there are people just like @breld out there.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Took this picture, today

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@mjfloyd1 said:
    I’d only do it if I had quadruple protection

Sure, why not. You didn’t remind me of the type that would go for an ADM upgrade package. Send the check via Edmunds quick delivery check service.

Thanks.

jmonroe

My son built an Alpina B8 on NA’s configurator and suggested I click the “Order” button. Only $139,900.
    I have to think about it.

edited August 6

My son built an Alpina B8 on NA’s configurator and suggested I click the “Order” button. Only $139,900.

That’s actually less than I expected for an Alpina.

C’mon…2 kidneys are highly overrated.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAMember Posts: 7,987

YOLO
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xE, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
    @oldfarmer50,
    Sometimes cars are kind of unsaleable, so they move from one dealer to another.
    It may just need a specific customer.
    I watched this Lincoln Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark video today.
    Had high hopes because I knew it was going up for sale.
    Current owner bought it from an auction site over the phone and it has 3 different white/pearl whites on it from what I see.
    Video sales guy is trying to sell it, but you can tell he doesn't feel good about it.

2020 Ford Explorer XLT

@roadburner said:

Yeah right. You didn’t think anymore about it than I did when Son #1 came to a dealers lot with me to buy a car in 1986 and he saw a year old Vet he thought would be just right for him when he graduated HS the following year. He was even willing to forgo my expense for his up coming Penn State tuition. He was a very thoughtful kid. Things have changed since.

jmonroe

edited August 6

@oldfarmer50,
    Sometimes cars are kind of unsaleable, so they move from one dealer to another.
    It may just need a specific customer.
    I watched this Lincoln Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark video today.
    Had high hopes because I knew it was going up for sale.
    Current owner bought it from an auction site over the phone and it has 3 different white/pearl whites on it from what I see.
    Video sales guy is trying to sell it, but you can tell he doesn't feel good about it.

The three different color whites on it would turn me off (those paints were hard to match) but that’s a nice looking survivor. It had the newer headlights which were better than the previous design which dimmed out over time. 23k miles is pretty good. Air ride still works which is nice but with a traction control problem I’d be discounting heavily.

Those are starting to become collectible but that one is just a driver. It would make a nice bopping around car but $5k would be all the money.

@oldfarmer50,
    Hoovie bought his 89K miles car(perfect body) from this guy for $4500.
    What do you think this one is worth?
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 54,048
    IIRC the late run Mark VIII was the first American car to have xenon lights.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesMember Posts: 8,785
    kyfdx said:

Took this picture, today

Say whaaaaaaat? Regular is $3.179 at my local.