Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    ab348 said:

What's the difference between a flipper and a curbstoner?

I know up here the DMV is constantly chasing down the latter for failure to have a dealer license.

In my state you can sell 5 cars a year without a license.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    edited December 2021

Got the lease extension letter from US Bank. No mention of waiving the dispo fee, or any other specific terms, other than the max extension of six months. I’ll try to call them next week.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,440

@kyfdx said:
    Technically, yes. :D

Let’s not get “technical” about this. 😧

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359

To everyone who celebrates - Merry Christmas!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359

@Michaell said:
    Saw my stepson and his wife for the first time in over a year today. Turns out they totaled their 2020 Tucson Ultimate a couple of months ago, and had to replace it. Decided to stick with what works, except they upgraded to a 2022:

Also an Ultimate trim, so fully loaded. We didn’t talk price, but suffice it to say they didn’t get a great deal.

He did mention that the issues with their old car were addressed with the makeover.

They are happy! That’s all that matters (and they can afford the payment).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,519
    nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Saw my stepson and his wife for the first time in over a year today. Turns out they totaled their 2020 Tucson Ultimate a couple of months ago, and had to replace it. Decided to stick with what works, except they upgraded to a 2022:

Also an Ultimate trim, so fully loaded. We didn’t talk price, but suffice it to say they didn’t get a great deal.

He did mention that the issues with their old car were addressed with the makeover.

They are happy! That’s all that matters (and they can afford the payment).

I know my stepson works 20-30 hours of overtime each week; I don’t think the payment is a problem.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:
    Fun car, with all the right “stuff”. Look at the service history, though. If it’s missing some service, probably need to take a pass. But, if the service is there, it’s some of the most fun you’ll have with your clothes on.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382

High maintenance but super fun

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

That Milano sold for $8900 yesterday, not to me. Seller couldn’t even tell me if the AC works. Low miles don’t mean everything on an old Italian car, so I let it go.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Michaell said:

How did the old one get totaled? I hope some old guy in a sleigh didn’t hit them.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

High maintenance but super fun

Buy a case of oil.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817

@Michaell said:

That looks nice in black!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Buy a case of oil.

Make that a 55 gallon drum. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321

@Michaell said:

Am I remembering right that their previous car was totaled, too?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

Thanks.
    I had no idea it was 3800 lb.

So who got a car with a bow for Christmas?

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    No car, but Elon Claus left some nice stocking stuffers in the v11 update-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I don’t understand this software update. They took away my main screen shortcuts for front and rear defrost and heated seats with no option to customize and put them back.

Michaell said:

How did the old one get totaled? I hope some old guy in a sleigh didn’t hit them.
    Nope. Daughter-in-law ran a red and got t-boned by a new Jeep - the guy was driving it home from the dealer.

:facepalm

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

@Michaell said:

Am I remembering right that their previous car was totaled, too?

I’d have to think about that. I know they’ve totaled a couple of other cars over the years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582

I don’t understand this software update. They took away my main screen shortcuts for front and rear defrost and heated seats with no option to customize and put them back.

Yeah, you have to swipe up from the temperature reading now. Or use voice commands, I guess.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    nyccarguy said:

I almost bought a 2015 Passat TDi instead of the Legacy. That would have been great. I loved the way the Passat drove and the diesel would have been great for my daily slog, but I wanted AWD. I’ve also always been hesitant about VW reliability (even under warranty). If I would have bought that Passat new, I would have cashed in on dieselgate. Instead, I bought a Subaru that I drove for a whole 2 1/2 years very slowly.

Even though reliability wouldn't have been an issue on yours given the buyback opportunity, it's certainly an issue!

My newest on the Q7 is that it failed to start last night after a short stop (about an hour). The way it's behaving, I suspect the engine is locked for some reason. Maybe a hydrolock? It seemed to be running perfectly smooth before I shut it off.

I'm not sure, but I need to drag it home so I can start tearing into it. I don't think it is a minor issue this time around.... Sadly, we are in for a major snow dump (estimates vary between 10 and 20 inches by Monday), so getting it here is going to be a significant undertaking.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Michaell said:

Nope. Daughter-in-law ran a red and got t-boned by a new Jeep - the guy was driving it home from the dealer.

Yikes! She's fortunate to be okay; hopefully she pays better attention in the future.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,849
    xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

I almost bought a 2015 Passat TDi instead of the Legacy. That would have been great. I loved the way the Passat drove and the diesel would have been great for my daily slog, but I wanted AWD. I’ve also always been hesitant about VW reliability (even under warranty). If I would have bought that Passat new, I would have cashed in on dieselgate. Instead, I bought a Subaru that I drove for a whole 2 1/2 years very slowly.

Even though reliability wouldn't have been an issue on yours given the buyback opportunity, it's certainly an issue!

My newest on the Q7 is that it failed to start last night after a short stop (about an hour). The way it's behaving, I suspect the engine is locked for some reason. Maybe a hydrolock? It seemed to be running perfectly smooth before I shut it off.

I'm not sure, but I need to drag it home so I can start tearing into it. I don't think it is a minor issue this time around.... Sadly, we are in for a major snow dump (estimates vary between 10 and 20 inches by Monday), so getting it here is going to be a significant undertaking.

Wow. Good luck with that. It doesn't sound good.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    @xwesx Between you and @andres3 your mechanical issues with the Audis is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about long term ownership of our Q5 or VW. I hope it isn’t a serious problem. Bah humbug!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@xwesx I really hope it's not that! Engine swaps are difficult enough (unless you're a YouTube star), but I can't imagine trying to do one in very cold temperatures.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,343
    Merry Christmas to all that celebrate!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

xwesx said:

Michaell said:

Yikes! She's fortunate to be okay; hopefully she pays better attention in the future.
    More to the story. Apparently, her eyes were looking forward to the next light on the street, which did turn green. Just not the light at the intersection she was currently at.

Remember, she's a brain cancer survivor, so a faux pas every now and again should be expected.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Oh the humanity! :'(

@nyccarguy - basement looks great! And that is a very nice looking gaming chair in front of the TV.
    xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

Hydrolocked? What would cause that other than driving it through deep water? Even some of those cars with internal water pumps only dump water into the coolant.

nyccarguy said:

Not a punch, but the painters/sheet rockers got the job done this week.

Man, I’m jealous. My basement looks like a twister went through it.

I’m watching a Mecum auction from Kissimmee FL. right now and it looks like the Resto mod is the big thing now. While original restoration cars are going for less than $100k, some of the resto-mod equivalents are into the $300k range.

I wonder, are these cars a good hedge against inflation?

@nyccarguy said:
    Not a punch, but the painters/sheet rockers got the job done this week.

Very nice. That looks like a nice place for a gathering of your poster buddies.

Good luck with it.

jmonroe

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I’m watching a Mecum auction from Kissimmee FL. right now and it looks like the Resto mod is the big thing now. While original restoration cars are going for less than $100k, some of the resto-mod equivalents are into the $300k range.

I wonder, are these cars a good hedge against inflation?

Who knows? Buy one and let us know how good of an investment it is in 10 years.

jmonroe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    edited December 2021
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

That's too bad. I hope no one was seriously hurt.

The service manager at my local Chevy store had cuts on his face and walked and talked funny when I was in a couple weeks ago. He had 4 cracked ribs among other things. He had Trouble talking and breathing. Back problems. Suing the parents of driver and the driver of the car that T-boned him in his wife's Acura MDX. He felt were he not in the Acura, which protected him with airbags, he would have been worse off.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

That's too bad. I hope no one was seriously hurt.

The service manager at my local Chevy store had cuts on his face and walked and talked funny when I was in a couple weeks ago. He had 4 cracked ribs among other things. He had Trouble talking and breathing. Back problems. Suing the parents of driver and the driver of the car that T-boned him in his wife's Acura MDX. He felt were he not in the Acura, which protected him with airbags, he would have been worse off.
    To my knowledge, no injuries sustained in the collision.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited December 2021
    Ford must have forgotten to give Motor Trend a ringer from the Maverick press fleet. They clocked a 7-second 0-60 in a 2.0T with the FX4 and towing packages (the latter of which has a shorter final drive which should improve performance). Inexplicably, their FWD hybrid tester did the 0-60 sprint in 7.6 seconds.
    Michaell said:

More to the story. Apparently, her eyes were looking forward to the next light on the street, which did turn green. Just not the light at the intersection she was currently at.

Remember, she's a brain cancer survivor, so a faux pas every now and again should be expected.

I've done that before, and I don't even have the excuse of surviving brain cancer! Thankfully, I didn't end up running the red, but it was a near (and embarrassing) thing.

Hydrolocked? What would cause that other than driving it through deep water? Even some of those cars with internal water pumps only dump water into the coolant.

Well, I'm not sure. Like I said, it was running just fine (or seemed like it) before I shut it off, so I can't imagine. However, the way it sounds when I try to start it is the exact same as an engine that won't turn (as opposed to a low battery), and it made no difference at all when I set up a jump. I will need to do more testing before I can know with any certainty.

The issue I mentioned before, about the coolant seeping at the EGR valve, apparently can have the side effect of hydrolocking the engine if it lets go in a big way due to the location, which is at the top of the engine, inside the intake, and is located in such a way that if coolant were to leak, it can possibly go into the cylinders. I'm hoping not, but then, if it was, that might be easier than just some mystery. Other possibilities include a locked starter motor. Again, would be odd to just go from fine to dead in one cycle, but I suppose stranger things still have happened.

Either way, it's a little :(
    jmonroe1 said:

Very nice. That looks like a nice place for a gathering of your poster buddies.

Good luck with it.

jmonroe

I was thinking the same thing! We need to set a date. :D
    There is a Ford dealer in Des Moines offering factory orders at $3,000 off MSRP on Mavericks through January 31. Tempting!

@xwesx said:
    I was thinking the same thing! We need to set a date. :D

OK, let’s make it New Years Eve. I’ll bring the chips and you bring the dip. Now we’ll wait and see who else is coming and what they’re bringing.

FWIW, I go first on the air hockey thingy.

jmonroe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817

@nyccarguy
    Glad to see you are on the way to getting the basement back to pre-flood condition. It’s looking good.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

xwesx said:

Well, I'm not sure. Like I said, it was running just fine (or seemed like it) before I shut it off, so I can't imagine. However, the way it sounds when I try to start it is the exact same as an engine that won't turn (as opposed to a low battery), and it made no difference at all when I set up a jump. I will need to do more testing before I can know with any certainty.

The issue I mentioned before, about the coolant seeping at the EGR valve, apparently can have the side effect of hydrolocking the engine if it lets go in a big way due to the location, which is at the top of the engine, inside the intake, and is located in such a way that if coolant were to leak, it can possibly go into the cylinders. I'm hoping not, but then, if it was, that might be easier than just some mystery. Other possibilities include a locked starter motor. Again, would be odd to just go from fine to dead in one cycle, but I suppose stranger things still have happened.

Either way, it's a little :(
    I don’t blame you for being miffed. Could you pull the plugs and see if you can turn it over with a wrench on the crank? A least that way if it is hydrolocked you won’t be totally destroying the motor.

You have to wonder what engineer would design engine parts where that could happen.