Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner

2020 M2 comp, 3 pedal, slick top ,executive pkg, hockenheim silver, 16 k miles, clean car fax

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/2144307

Another option - it has the M service and another service documented

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WBS2U7C06L7E17082

If I liked stripes or a DCT, this seems pretty reasonable in this market-
    https://cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?#listing=313484066

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,211
    edited December 2021

2019 and newer M2 competition has 40 more hp as they installed the M3/M4 motor

That 2017 almost fooled me because it has different wheels than I am used to seeing on a 2017. I like the wheels. I hope those stripes are vinyl and can be peeled off…

edited December 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

2019 and newer M2 competition has 40 more hp as they installed the M3/M4 motor

That 2017 almost fooled me because it has different wheels than I am used to seeing on a 2017. I like the wheels. I hope those stripes are vinyl and can be peeled off…

Most OG M2's around here are in the $55-58K range with lower miles. Comps start around $62K and climb pretty fast. The linked one is the wrong color and spec, but even then, it's one of the better deals I've seen given the miles and history.

edited December 2021

@tifighter said:
    Most OG M2's around here are in the $55-58K range with lower miles. Comps start around $62K and climb pretty fast. The linked one is the wrong color and spec, but even then, it's one of the better deals I've seen given the miles and history.

I agree on the miles and price for sure, but I’m also sure that @roadburner would prefer a 2019 or newer M2 Competition with a manual transmission. I don’t see any documentation of the M service at 1200 miles on that 2017, which is important to M aficionados.

@andres3 perhaps should zip up to Seattle and pick up the 2017 M2 DCT?? $20k for new motor in S4 vs $49k for M2 including motor??

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    stickguy said:

Looks like I’m going to sneak a punch in this year.

Ford website updates That the lariat is at the dealer for final prep. So likely picking it up Friday or Wednesday. I’ll be back home from NY tomorrow.

Excited for you! First car in what, better than 18 months now? It should turn out to be a good flip for you, and you'll get some satisfaction out of filling that empty garage bay for a spell.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    More coolant drips in the garage so the A3 is at the mechanics for a couple of days. Said they were super busy when I called this morning but said we could drop it off but just be prepared for it to be gone till weeks end. Not a major problem as the other half can reschedule her gig on Wednesday and either go in on Thursday if we get the car back or double up next week, she has that flexibility. Just want it fixed already as we plan on keeping it for the next year or two. Says she can manage here with no wheels though offered to drop the Golf back at home after clocking in tomorrow & Wednesday as it just sits at my office. She said no for tomorrow so we shall see.
    Busy morning as the sprinkler guy came to fix what turned out to be a broken pipe. One zone wasn't getting anything due to the broken pipe but now, we're up & running again. Still waiting on the folks to get back to me about the bathroom faucet replacement and have to get the handyman to deal with the pantry issues plus the garage shelves. It's always something with home ownership it seems but since we're staying for the time being, gotta repair a few things going forward.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    Called US Bank to request the lease extension on the Tundra. It sounds like they are no longer offering to waive the disposition fee if you take the extension, which is understandable given the current environment. The extension payments do reduce the residual value at the same rate, so they're not counting them as 100% rent charge and it will help me out some if I decide to purchase at the end of the lease.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    mjfloyd1 said:

@tifighter said:

I agree on the miles and price for sure, but I’m also sure that @roadburner would prefer a 2019 or newer M2 Competition with a manual transmission. I don’t see any documentation of the M service at 1200 miles on that 2017, which is important to M aficionados.

Exactly; aside from the sheetmetal, a 2016-2018 M2 is just not that different from my M235i- same engine(albeit with more hp) and the same interior. I could add a CarBahn tune(+72 hp) and the M Performance diff to my car and it would likely be faster on the street and the track. so what's the point?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,440

@xwesx said:
    We had about 10" of snow here on Saturday and Sunday, which then turned to this sleety-rain stuff for much of the afternoon and dropped a thick layer of ice atop everything.

Power went out at about 8pm, and I expect it will be off for a day or two... maybe longer because we have more snow on the way. My son enthusiastically got out the generator to get us back up and running. It's actually the first time we took the time to use a generator during a power outage. Amazingly, the whole house is up and running nearly as normal with an 8K portable unit.

The nice part of this all is that the temps are incredibly warm... above freezing! It's quite strange to go outside and hear water dripping from the roof in late December.

Gee, I never thought about it but I guess that is something that would get an Alaskan excited about “in late December”. :s

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited December 2021
    mjfloyd1 said:

@tifighter said:

@andres3 perhaps should zip up to Seattle and pick up the 2017 M2 DCT?? $20k for new motor in S4 vs $49k for M2 including motor??

Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting this was the Roadburner special. I do know there are some others around here interested in M2's. This car is pretty interesting as it has those wheels, which I've learned are the 763M style which were a $4000 option, as well as the M Performance exhaust ($3K option), M Performance bodykit, Exec package, DCT and of course those wacky vinyl stripes. I'll bet the original sticker on this car was pretty impressive. I don't think the sunroof was available until 2018. Anyway, seems like a solid deal for the right person.

Also, while looking at this M2 stuff, I found this article from 2016 comparing all of the different 2 series variants. Pretty interesting take, and the small engine comes out looking pretty good...

https://roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29245/bmw-2-series-comparison-test/

Is there a chance you'd buy out the lease once the Toyota truck is due back after the extension? I'm hoping that in 6 months time, there will be more inventory to choose from. I showed my wife two dealerships on the way to the grocery store just before, and they both had large pockets between vehicles, apparently there's just almost no inventory on the ground to sell and this was at a Subaru/Hyundai/Genesis/Lincoln on one side and a Mazda/Chevrolet one on the other. We used to sell a lot of our used vehicles to that particular Chevy store and now, haven't been back to either of their locations in months. Instead of selling off our used, we've been buying from those same dealers so we have something to rent! Hoping these next 6 to 8 months will have much improvement in inventories across the board.
    I know in our case, my wife will get tired of fixing these little things sooner than later, and just want to be done with it & move on to something new. And I suppose I'll be there with her if mine continues to act up...luckily, things have been relatively quiet except for the hood prop rod having no more gas in the shock to hold it open by itself. Bringing in a container with windshield washer fluid tomorrow to get my friend to hold the hood open as I refill the fluid container. Just something really very minor that needs to be addressed.
    Since she'll be car-less tomorrow, took her to Publix to get some lunch/dinner & some ice cream so she'll be all set. I won't be that far away if her vehicle gets finished or we can go get it once I get off. Still brought up her taking the Golf for the day as I can easily get a lift home, but again, she declined. I'd hate to be stuck here without any wheels just in case I want to get out.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Glad I got the sprinklers fixed today as starting Saturday, we'll be having the Accent here for the next month. She'll need to park it in the center of the driveway if I run the sprinklers or in front of the house if not. She'll need to have hers moved before noon or else the mail lady will pass us by & not get out. We have a rural carrier & they have some different rules hat I did when I was a city carrier. And I'll get to drive the Accent more as if we do take it, my kid just hands the keys off to me. I know it's just your basic transport but it does a nice job doing it. Not fancy in any way, shape or form but it gets the job done with no drama and it's super easy to drive. I'd have no issue driving one daily but would have to have the "Limited" model that add allys with larger tires, a moon/sun roof and a better infotainment system for a pretty decent price. Boring to most but fine with me!

Is there a chance you'd buy out the lease once the Toyota truck is due back after the extension?

It's a possibility. It's not ideal for city life, but I've lived with it the past two years. I would consider buying it if the residual is equal to or lower than what it's worth at that point, but if there are Tacoma lease deals in the $3-400/month payment range in August (as there are now), that would also be tempting.

On the hood struts, those are really easy to replace, I think they usually run about $20-30 each at an auto parts store, and usually just need a flathead screwdriver (and perhaps a second person to hold up the hood).

@corvette said:
    It's a possibility. It's not ideal for city life, but I've lived with it the past two years. I would consider buying it if the residual is equal to or lower than what it's worth at that point, but if there are Tacoma lease deals in the $3-400/month payment range in August (as there are now), that would also be tempting.

On the hood struts, those are really easy to replace, I think they usually run about $20-30 each at an auto parts store, and usually just need a flathead screwdriver (and perhaps a second person to hold up the hood).

Or and old broom handle. In fact, you can use the broom handle as a permanent support like some cheapo did that I worked with years ago. It worked. He didn’t have any knots on his head.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    tifighter said:

Also, while looking at this M2 stuff, I found this article from 2016 comparing all of the different 2 series variants. Pretty interesting take, and the small engine comes out looking pretty good...

I remember when that article came out. That test was a bit of an outlier, as Automobile, Car and Driver, and the Brit mags all loved the M235i and M2.
    I really consider the M235i to be more of a Junior GT than a sports car. This week while my son was home we drove it most of the time; my wife didn't even mind riding in the back...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    Pretty car. Of course priced like new but that’s life today. No moonroof is a big negative, and the rubber band tires give me nightmares. But probably fun. Love the color.

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2018-volkswagen-golf_r-4~door_manual_w_dcc_nav-used-wvwwf7au6jw219658.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    Here is a link to the full KPMG report we were discussing earlier on the used-car market. Worth a read.

https://advisory.kpmg.us/content/dam/advisory/en/pdfs/2021/car-crash-design-secured.pdf

These two points found in the intro are particularly worthy of note:

— By the end of 2021, some 17 million consumers—the equivalent of a full year’s sales—will own vastly overpriced used vehicles. This number is growing by close to 2 million used-car buyers a month.
    — Over half of these overpriced vehicles are financed, posing potential risks to lenders and investors in the $1.4 trillion auto-loan business. Moreover, these buyers will have little to no equity in their cars making future car purchases unaffordable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited December 2021
    sda said:

Got a standing offer for trade on my TLX from one of the two local dealers of $2K over what I paid for my TLX 9 months ago. Plus, if I trade it in, I would get $2,500 in additional cash for a new TLX. Not sure that's enough to make me pull the trigger, but who knows? I've got some time on my hands this week.

Wow. Does your dealer have any in stock? Our local Acura dealer which generally has a good inventory only has one TLX, a TLX-S for $54k, in Steel Metallic Gray, but it does have the red interior!
    Yeah…they have a few. But, they have two Acura stores to pull from…one near me and one in Dayton. I think they’re trying to make deals because the staff knows their stores were all just sold and they’re not sure what their status will be once the deal is consummated. So, they’re gettin’ while the gettin’s good.

I’d be tempted on that S-Type in Grey with Red. I like that combo. My selling dealer has an S-Type coming in, but he doesn’t know if it will hit the lot before the sale of the dealership goes through. He’s trying to move as much as he can. They do have a decent pre-owned Acura inventory, though. Probably off-lease vehicles.

But, tax liability would be minimal. By the time I paid the taxes on the delta in price between mine and the new one $150-$200) aside from getting a new TLX, with zero miles, I’m still driving the same car.

S-Type may make me budge, but right now that’s iffy, at best.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,849

sda said:

Got a standing offer for trade on my TLX from one of the two local dealers of $2K over what I paid for my TLX 9 months ago. Plus, if I trade it in, I would get $2,500 in additional cash for a new TLX. Not sure that's enough to make me pull the trigger, but who knows? I've got some time on my hands this week.

Wow. Does your dealer have any in stock? Our local Acura dealer which generally has a good inventory only has one TLX, a TLX-S for $54k, in Steel Metallic Gray, but it does have the red interior!
    Yeah…they have a few. But, they have two Acura stores to pull from…one near me and one in Dayton. I think they’re trying to make deals because the staff knows their stores were all just sold and they’re not sure what their status will be once the deal is consummated. So, they’re gettin’ while the gettin’s good.

I’d be tempted on that S-Type in Grey with Red. I like that combo. My selling dealer has an S-Type coming in, but he doesn’t know if it will hit the lot before the sale of the dealership goes through. He’s trying to move as much as he can. They do have a decent pre-owned Acura inventory, though. Probably off-lease vehicles.

But, tax liability would be minimal. By the time I paid the taxes on the delta in price between mine and the new one $150-$200) aside from getting a new TLX, with zero miles, I’m still driving the same car.

S-Type may make me budge, but right now that’s iffy, at best.
    I've been watching the 2022 TLX's also and see mostly (or maybe all) Type S's being delivered. I haven't looked in about a week though.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    corvette said:

Called US Bank to request the lease extension on the Tundra. It sounds like they are no longer offering to waive the disposition fee if you take the extension, which is understandable given the current environment. The extension payments do reduce the residual value at the same rate, so they're not counting them as 100% rent charge and it will help me out some if I decide to purchase at the end of the lease.

Why no just buy it out? Isn’t it worth more than the buy out?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863

Mechanic decided to give me a heart attack today and send me these pictures with no explanation.

Then he called and said it is nothing terribly scary but keeps finding leaks as he goes and he is just replacing every seal along the way, along with both motor mounts and the trans mount. Says it will be a new truck when he is done.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Is this the MB AMG?

probably cost as much as one too! Though common sense says once you have it apart, replace every cheap rubber part and gasket you have easy access to.

@qbrozen said:
    Mechanic decided to give me a heart attack today and send me these pictures with no explanation.

Then he called and said it is nothing terribly scary but keeps finding leaks as he goes and he is just replacing every seal along the way, along with both motor mounts and the trans mount. Says it will be a new truck when he is done.

Are you sure that thing is out of your car? The size of that beast looks like it came out of a metro bus.

jmonroe

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Is this the MB AMG?

Yes

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    qbrozen said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

Is this the MB AMG?

Yes

Is it up on cars and bids yet?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Why no just buy it out? Isn’t it worth more than the buy out?

I think it’s worth about the same as the buyout, possibly slightly more. I’m not completely sold on owning it long term, and I’d strongly consider leasing a Tacoma if they are still leasing in the $3-400s in August.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    ab348 said:

Here is a link to the full KPMG report we were discussing earlier on the used-car market. Worth a read.

https://advisory.kpmg.us/content/dam/advisory/en/pdfs/2021/car-crash-design-secured.pdf

— By the end of 2021, some 17 million consumers—the equivalent of a full year’s sales—will own vastly overpriced used vehicles. This number is growing by close to 2 million used-car buyers a month.
    — Over half of these overpriced vehicles are financed, posing potential risks to lenders and investors in the $1.4 trillion auto-loan business. Moreover, these buyers will have little to no equity in their cars making future car purchases unaffordable.

I wonder how that will pan out. Will the owners keep their now undervalued cars rather than get hosed on trade? Will that in itself have a negative effect on supply?

As to not being able to afford a car, when did that ever stop people from buying?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@nyccarguy said:

I think after seeing this I may feel obligated to keep it a while.

ab348 said:

I wonder how that will pan out. Will the owners keep their now undervalued cars rather than get hosed on trade? Will that in itself have a negative effect on supply?

As to not being able to afford a car, when did that ever stop people from buying?
    someone here made a good point recently. It is probably smarter to just get a slightly overpriced lease right now, and at least fix your depreciation cost and know that in 3 years you are walking away even. Really rolling the dice on the used market, at least on some of these crazy prices. Probably not a big worry paying $2K over on a Camry if you plan to keep it 6-8 years.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:

I think after seeing this I may feel obligated to keep it a while.

Wow! I saw the pictures, but scrolled past who posted them. I thought it was @xwesx. That transmission is MASSIVE.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

tifighter said:

I remember when that article came out. That test was a bit of an outlier, as Automobile, Car and Driver, and the Brit mags all loved the M235i and M2.
    I really consider the M235i to be more of a Junior GT than a sports car. This week while my son was home we drove it most of the time; my wife didn't even mind riding in the back...
    Not long ago, I drove a F33 440i. You know, for research purposes. It was an '18 with M-Sport, and had 15k miles. The steering was Buick-level numb. I was pretty surprised - my Z4 has electric steering, and while it's no Porsche, it felt miles ahead of this 440i. Was it just this one, or are they all like that? It really killed the car for me.

@nyccarguy said:

Hell no. It ain’t even off the rack yet. :(

jmonroe

been chatting via Email with sales manager lady at the Ford dealer. And I stopped at a local truck accessories shop on the way home today to look at Tonneau covers. Dealer found a place to do it but they are a lot higher so I will deal with it after the fact. Probably should just do it myself but might just treat myself and let a pro do it right. Had a good chat with the shop owner about the different models (and figured out what I wanted based on that) and he had display models of them all. he pointed out upgrades they do (adding something under the side rails, and sealing up corners and edges to make more watertight). So seems to be worth a few bucks to be lazy.

waiting to hear back from them on the cheap Ford financing then have to get added to insurance, and figure out a time to go pick it up. Hoping for Friday morning since the wife has to work Thursday, and she is my ride over (I really should start buying cars at the dealer I can walk to!). Plus I need tomorrow to clean out the garage bay since I need that back, and it needs to be deeper than before since the new car is about 7" longer than my last one (but a little skinnier).

Certainly hope the wife likes it. If not, might not be around long! And I will almost feel guilty running it through Carmax Friday night... B)

@stickguy said:
    been chatting via Email with sales manager lady at the Ford dealer. And I stopped at a local truck accessories shop on the way home today to look at Tonneau covers. Dealer found a place to do it but they are a lot higher so I will deal with it after the fact. Probably should just do it myself but might just treat myself and let a pro do it right. Had a good chat with the shop owner about the different models (and figured out what I wanted based on that) and he had display models of them all. he pointed out upgrades they do (adding something under the side rails, and sealing up corners and edges to make more watertight). So seems to be worth a few bucks to be lazy.

waiting to hear back from them on the cheap Ford financing then have to get added to insurance, and figure out a time to go pick it up. Hoping for Friday morning since the wife has to work Thursday, and she is my ride over (I really should start buying cars at the dealer I can walk to!). Plus I need tomorrow to clean out the garage bay since I need that back, and it needs to be deeper than before since the new car is about 7" longer than my last one (but a little skinnier).

Certainly hope the wife likes it. If not, might not be around long! And I will almost feel guilty running it through Carmax Friday night... B)

Everything will be all right as long as you only park on your side of the garage. :(

jmonroe

edited December 2021
    @stickguy - what "added" insurance? I know the finance company can dictate a maximum deductible and that they be named as a loss payee, but other than that, you should be okay.

I think you did well--given the Maverick's production constraints, I'd be hesitant to order one with a factory tonneau or anything other than the extremely common options like a spray-in bedliner.
    added to the insurance policy. Though in the past I have called them from the F&I office to authorize and passed the phone of the finance guy to verify coverage (and levels). I guess it is a lot easier for them to have it in advance.

actually the spray in liner was a limited availability option too but I ordered that anyway. I took the cover off when I put in the order because the dealer said it was really delaying builds. that is pretty easy to add on later.

it was actually funny when I stopped at the truck accessories place (side note, man you can spend an whole lotta money customizing a PU!) I just told him initially what I was looking at and he showed me the different styles and what was different about them (fabric, height, and frame). It wasn't until the end when he went to check availability that I told him it was for a Maverick. He got really excited, because he hadn't seen one in person yet and really wanted to. I think he is hoping I get it and come back so he can check it out. He also said somebody else had come in this week asking for something to put on a Maverick.

stickguy said:

(side note, man you can spend an whole lotta money customizing a PU!)

Yup! I hope if I buy out the Tundra or lease something else, I can just find a fairly priced tonneau on Craigslist, because I definitely need one.
    tifighter said:

tifighter said:

Not long ago, I drove a F33 440i. You know, for research purposes. It was an '18 with M-Sport, and had 15k miles. The steering was Buick-level numb. I was pretty surprised - my Z4 has electric steering, and while it's no Porsche, it felt miles ahead of this 440i. Was it just this one, or are they all like that? It really killed the car for me.
    The F10 5er and the F3x 3er/4er are the cars that indicated BMW was abandoning the philosophy that served it so well. Instead, Munich sought to broaden its customer base by attracting the dreaded wearers. Decades ago BMWs were designed so that if a front wheel ran over a stack of five quarters the steering would communicate that to the driver. But now focus groups indicate "drivers" want the steering to be numb and isolated, and BMW is giving them what they want. Today if you want a BMW that performs the way all BMWs used to perform you have to look at an M or M Performance model- or else option the Track Handling package(if it's even available).

@qbrozen said:

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Is this the MB AMG?

Yes

Did it have a leak or some other transmission issue?

@mjfloyd1 said:

@qbrozen said:

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Is this the MB AMG?

Yes

Did it have a leak or some other transmission issue?

RMS leak

Speaking of snow events, ours is ongoing. The power ended up being out for almost exactly 48 hours, coming on late yesterday afternoon. However, it is now snowing heavily again, with wind gusts up to 50 mph. We rarely get wind here during the winter months, so no telling what all the weight and the wind will do to the trees.

Outages are expected, so hopefully we dodge the bullet this time around.

The good news in all of this is that my wife finally admitted defeat with hand-shoveling the driveway given the quantity and weight/crustiness of the last snowfall. Yesterday, she requested that I get out the plow to run some areas of the drive. It took a few hours, but I finally got it fired up and had a fun time clearing snow. And, even though I managed to use the same set of tire chains for over a decade on it, I somehow lost one of them yesterday in my own driveway. /sigh
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

In case anyone is keeping track, we’re 4 days post snow event and the only cleared road in my area is I-5. Seattle really cannot do snow.

As for me, I’m tired of being cooped up so I got my ice driving confidence back after an hour in a church parking lot. Now it’s just dodging everyone else.

I'm not sure if it is bigger news that your roads aren't cleared or that the snow hasn't melted yet on its own! Four days must be some sort of record in that area.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321
    xwesx said:

In case anyone is keeping track, we’re 4 days post snow event and the only cleared road in my area is I-5. Seattle really cannot do snow.

As for me, I’m tired of being cooped up so I got my ice driving confidence back after an hour in a church parking lot. Now it’s just dodging everyone else.

I'm not sure if it is bigger news that your roads aren't cleared or that the snow hasn't melted yet on its own! Four days must be some sort of record in that area.
    Yep - true story; typically after snow events it starts to warm up pretty quickly. We've been in the teens and 20s for days now.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    edited December 2021
    sda said:

@xwesx Between you and @andres3 your mechanical issues with the Audis is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about long term ownership of our Q5 or VW. I hope it isn’t a serious problem. Bah humbug!

The VW Tiguan has been stellar up to 19K miles now, and the TTS continues to rack them up and is fine nearing 54K miles.

The S4 is catastrophic engine failure of course.

Metal and junk and shavings everywhere. They tried to clean the oil housing and oil cooler but they are beyond saving; just uncleanable. Don't want to introduce old engine metal to the new engine, so ordering an aftermarket housing to save some money on plastic as German plastic is expensive, and went OEM oil cooler as that has metal components and it was only $100 more than aftermarket.

Latest message from the shop:

Looks like we had to disassemble the supercharger as well. There’s a bunch of crap inside it along with metal shavings as well. I’m hoping we can get most of it out and cleaned out from behind the intercoolers so we don’t have to replace them.

The water jacket in the block broke causing coolant and oil to mix everywhere.

It probably is easier to replace than "fix" things.

Looks like a 2022 finish on this repair job.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@corvette said:
    Yup! I hope if I buy out the Tundra or lease something else, I can just find a fairly priced tonneau on Craigslist, because I definitely need one.

@28firefighter said:

May the snow driving gods be with you.

jmonroe