Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    edited December 2021
    andres3 said:

sda said:

@xwesx Between you and @andres3 your mechanical issues with the Audis is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about long term ownership of our Q5 or VW. I hope it isn’t a serious problem. Bah humbug!

The VW Tiguan has been stellar up to 19K miles now, and the TTS continues to rack them up and is fine nearing 54K miles.

The S4 is catastrophic engine failure of course.

Metal and junk and shavings everywhere. They tried to clean the oil housing and oil cooler but they are beyond saving; just uncleanable. Don't want to introduce old engine metal to the new engine, so ordering an aftermarket housing to save some money on plastic as German plastic is expensive, and went OEM oil cooler as that has metal components and it was only $100 more than aftermarket.

Latest message from the shop:

Looks like we had to disassemble the supercharger as well. There’s a bunch of crap inside it along with metal shavings as well. I’m hoping we can get most of it out and cleaned out from behind the intercoolers so we don’t have to replace them.

The water jacket in the block broke causing coolant and oil to mix everywhere.

It probably is easier to replace than "fix" things.

Looks like a 2022 finish on this repair job.
    Wow, I cringe just reading about the extensive damage done by the water jacket failing, it pains me.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,211

@andres3 said:
    The VW Tiguan has been stellar up to 19K miles now, and the TTS continues to rack them up and is fine nearing 54K miles.

Metal and junk and shavings everywhere. They tried to clean the oil housing and oil cooler but they are beyond saving; just uncleanable. Don't want to introduce old engine metal to the new engine, so ordering an aftermarket housing to save some money on plastic as German plastic is expensive, and went OEM oil cooler as that has metal components and it was only $100 more than aftermarket.

Looks like we had to disassemble the supercharger as well. There’s a bunch of crap inside it along with metal shavings as well. I’m hoping we can get most of it out and cleaned out from behind the intercoolers so we don’t have to replace them.

I still wonder if Audi would have offered some good will on this.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863

I’m thinking about farming out my Coronet work. I was out there today and everything I started getting my hands in needed some fab work. For example, the new power brake booster needs new holes drilled in the firewall, not a big deal, but also a larger center hole, so I guess I’d need a specific size hole saw that I don’t own. Alright, onto the next… headers. Oh, hmmm… that will require cutting off the ends of the old pipes and welding new ends on. Not my forte, and would be almost required to have a lift. Maybe I should put the heads back on. Uhhh… water jacket is pretty nasty after sitting, so that should be flushed out but my hoses are shut off for the winter and I really don’t want rusty water all over my garage floor. Sigh

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    mjfloyd1 said:

@tifighter said:

Most OG M2's around here are in the $55-58K range with lower miles. Comps start around $62K and climb pretty fast. The linked one is the wrong color and spec, but even then, it's one of the better deals I've seen given the miles and history.

I agree on the miles and price for sure, but I’m also sure that @roadburner would prefer a 2019 or newer M2 Competition with a manual transmission. I don’t see any documentation of the M service at 1200 miles on that 2017, which is important to M aficionados.

@andres3 perhaps should zip up to Seattle and pick up the 2017 M2 DCT?? $20k for new motor in S4 vs $49k for M2 including motor??

It's actually closer then that.... Sell S4 without motor for $10K, get M2 for $39K more. Anyways, too late now, but could sell the S4 for $30-33K easy I think in this market.

Biggest problem I'd have with a 2017 M2 is that I'd have another expensive car not under warranty. Deathly afraid of that right now.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    andres3 said:

sda said:

@xwesx Between you and @andres3 your mechanical issues with the Audis is not giving me the warm and fuzzies about long term ownership of our Q5 or VW. I hope it isn’t a serious problem. Bah humbug!

Am I getting this right, the engine block actually failed? That would seem to be a manufacturing defect. Should Audi stand behind something like that? Blocks don’t usually crack, at least not internally.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I drove in from the coast Monday morning. At that time, I was surprised that I5 at least south of Tacoma was barely better than the state highways or county roads - one lane kind of clear, but the rest were iffy, and I saw snow and ice patches in all lanes even near Seatac. State highways out near the coast were compact snow and ice the entire way, even near the beach many areas got 6" or more. 167 was bad in that way too, as I made a detour to Puyallup for a few minutes and headed north, it was stop and go for maybe 10 miles due to a couple cars in the median and everyone rubbernecking. Traffic volumes weren't huge, but it was a bad mix of timid Tommy or Tabitha in a Corolla wearing chains going 25, and Bob the boor in his lifted truck with bald all seasons going 70. I picked the right rental car.

In case anyone is keeping track, we’re 4 days post snow event and the only cleared road in my area is I-5. Seattle really cannot do snow.

As for me, I’m tired of being cooped up so I got my ice driving confidence back after an hour in a church parking lot. Now it’s just dodging everyone else.

andres3 said:

sda said:

Am I getting this right, the engine block actually failed? That would seem to be a manufacturing defect. Should Audi stand behind something like that? Blocks don’t usually crack, at least not internally.
    Age over mileage may be the problem with the water jacket.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/264910010750
    Even less miles than mine but a year older.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

andres3 said:

sda said:

$1500 for a blown engine? I must not be Audi material.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

sda said:

$1500 for a blown engine? I must not be Audi material.
    Funny, a generation ago I used to think E-Bay was a good place to find bargains.

I thought the asking price high too. He tries to make it seem like it just needs a new rod.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321

That CS must have something horribly wrong with it to be priced so low.

I believe they're a nearly straight wholesaler, but yeah....how that ended up there vs. a BMW dealer is questionable...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    edited December 2021
    You can see the carfax on the site. Spoiler alert ---- well, you already knew there must be an issue, didn't you? But what's a little moderate damage between friends?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,555

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@tifighter said:
    You can see the carfax on the site. Spoiler alert ---- well, you already knew there must be an issue, didn't you? But what's a little moderate damage between friends?

Wow. Disabling damage and vehicle towed.

Black one had minor damage

qbrozen said:

I’m thinking about farming out my Coronet work. I was out there today and everything I started getting my hands in needed some fab work. For example, the new power brake booster needs new holes drilled in the firewall, not a big deal, but also a larger center hole, so I guess I’d need a specific size hole saw that I don’t own. Alright, onto the next… headers. Oh, hmmm… that will require cutting off the ends of the old pipes and welding new ends on. Not my forte, and would be almost required to have a lift. Maybe I should put the heads back on. Uhhh… water jacket is pretty nasty after sitting, so that should be flushed out but my hoses are shut off for the winter and I really don’t want rusty water all over my garage floor. Sigh

Sounds like a perfect job for “the guy”.

edited December 2021

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    Michaell said:
    I think the one I am getting now is going up about $900.. Can only help on resale!

speaking of which I am supposed to go pick it up Friday morning. Probably a good deal for this market at least. About $1,900 below MSRP, and only adding on NJ tax and DMV and the standard dealer doc fee ($299 or $399 I think). Nothing else tacked on.

financing for 3 years at 0%. Hard to say No to free money! payment is going to give me heart palpitations but its really the just keeping money in the checking account seeing as what that pays in interest.

out of curiosity, I asked for a lease quote too. Sticker is a tick under $30K ($29,755 maybe). 1st payment only DAS, $429/mo for 36/10,500. Not terrible for this market, even though the terms aren't great (3.6% interest rate, 58% residual). Doing the math, would cost a lot more to lease and buy out of course.

hopefully whenever I feel like flipping out of it the market cooperates. Just need to get close to the discounted sales price to make it a wash.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Farmer, order a Maverick XL. Poverty spec. Just add AWD and the 4K tow package. Still in the lower 20s, but get a warranty and no pre-existing rust. Will do everything a beater Ranger would. Heck, trade in the Soul on it. I bet it would be easy access for you wife too.

kill two birds with one stone.

qbrozen said:

This is starting to sound like a project that should be packaged up and sold to the next guy that feels like working on it. So do the math and figure out if you spend the fairly large $ amount to have it finished, will it net you more than unloading it now?

stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

This is starting to sound like a project that should be packaged up and sold to the next guy that feels like working on it. So do the math and figure out if you spend the fairly large $ amount to have it finished, will it net you more than unloading it now?
    Isn't the answer to that always .... "never"?

Aren't most restorations lucky to get 50 cents returned on every dollar invested?

Starting to sound like Edd Chyna Wheeler Dealer math.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

the math can work if your labor is free. Once you are paying $100/hr for "the guy" it is going south fast.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    stickguy said:

Farmer, order a Maverick XL. Poverty spec. Just add AWD and the 4K tow package. Still in the lower 20s, but get a warranty and no pre-existing rust. Will do everything a beater Ranger would. Heck, trade in the Soul on it. I bet it would be easy access for you wife too.

kill two birds with one stone.

If his wife rides in it instead of the Kia, the XLT might be better otherwise he might get a thump on the head. Best to spoil her.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited December 2021

Another try for @roadburner

M3 Sakhir orange, 3 pedal , clean carfax
    https://www.dpat.com/used/BMW/2016-BMW-M3-3e8d97c00a0e09a863ce5adb153ad5b4.htm

M4 white, 3 pedals, appears slick top, clean carfax, looks like CPO on carfax
    https://www.dpat.com/used/BMW/2018-BMW-M4-63e388cf0a0e09af7e331ff8979ea72a.htm

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    Michaell said:

Isn't the answer to that always .... "never"?

Aren't most restorations lucky to get 50 cents returned on every dollar invested?

Starting to sound like Edd Chyna Wheeler Dealer math.

I'm thinking it will pay off in this instance. Mostly because I already have all the parts and I've done the disassembly work and SOME reassembly. I'm thinking I'm looking at $3k-$5k. Let's say, just for sake of argument, it will be a $25k car. As it sits in pieces? I can't imagine anyone paying more than $15k, and that seems like a stretch. Because it is a mystery to anybody else. I know what's left in the puzzle, they don't, and I know how I'd feel about picking up somebody else's puzzle and what mysteries it may reveal.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

go for it. at least it will get it running so you can either finally use it, or unload it.

Just have to find a "guy" that is good with taking on the parts and roadmap!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    Well, it's that time of year again... the best of 2021's Nurburgring mishaps. More of BMW drivers being... well, BMW drivers. :D Though Porscheophiles have nothing to brag about here either.

My favorite of all was the bone-stock appearing Mini that shut down the track.

https://youtu.be/Xc9Gph96hXs

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

andres3 said:

sda said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Also thinking the term “catastrophic failure” is an apt description. Personally, I’d try to find out what the scrap value would be for it. Have to be decent money to part it out.

Refresh my memory….what has Audi said?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229

well, I did want an old truck to tide me over...

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817

Wonder if he will take $10,900

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited December 2021

@graphicguy said:
    Exactly what I was thinking. Also thinking the term “catastrophic failure” is an apt description. Personally, I’d try to find out what the scrap value would be for it. Have to be decent money to part it out.

S4 - he would not take it to Audi because he bought it used from a BMW dealer and it was close to two years out of warranty (but approx 46k miles IIRC).

I would have taken it to Audi to see if they would give some good will. Now that looks like it would have been an excellent idea with an internally cracked block and downstream parts damaged by metal in oil and coolant.

I guess you live and learn. :)

andres3 said:

sda said:

Audi said it was highly unlikely help could be provided in my case. They said a "buyback claim" was my best bet, but in CA lemon law doesn't apply to used cars nor old cars, nor cars over 18,000 miles I believe. Seemed like a lost cause in talking to several knowledgeable sources.

Perhaps a media campaign would have done the trick, but I want to get the car fixed sooner rather than "later." For 11 months and 12K+ miles the car was running just fine. It's fully loaded, prestige model, with a good record (no collisions) and is clean. With used car prices right now, made sense to fix it.
    edited December 2021

I’m going to guess with a cracked block it wasn’t running as well as one might think for as long as one might hope.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    BMW tire pressure was probably 1.5 psi low :)

The 1970 'ring video that has made the rounds for awhile still takes the cake.
    ab348 said:

Well, it's that time of year again... the best of 2021's Nurburgring mishaps. More of BMW drivers being... well, BMW drivers. :D Though Porscheophiles have nothing to brag about here either.

I’m going to guess with a cracked block it wasn’t running as well as one might think for as long as one might hope.

I'd estimate I had about 10-20 seconds of 85 MPH to 40 MPH "Power" once the black smoke and dummy lights started. Then from 40 to 0 MPH it was all just momentum.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,440
    ab348 said:

Kinda reminds me of when Mrs. j has me doing laps around the dining room table. She’s good on the straight aways but I shine in the turns. Why do you think I’ve taken out all the leafs from the table?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Picked up the Audi this morning. Turned out it was a plastic part that was needed & the local Audi store had it in their parts department. Dropped off the wife and all is fine now. He wanted to do the oil/filter change as she's due soon but she decided to wait. Thought that was dumb since he's already got it in his shop but hey, her vehicle so she decides when to have things done. If it were my Golf, I would've had it done. Haven't seen the bill yet since I let her handle it so will look when she gets home tonight. She went into her part time gig since she was supposed to go yesterday but refused to drive the Golf. Maybe that's a good thing though.
    The a/c folks came yesterday and it needs a part to fix it. Again, we lucked out since they have it in their parts warehouse. It'll be fixed tomorrow morning as it's in the 80's here all week. Got down to 68 last night so not that bad. They put more freon in yesterday and said we could use it but be careful. So far, with our ceiling fans, isn't that bad so we're just dealing with it. Home today but going out for the afternoon and then off to work tomorrow. Was asked to work Sunday so said sure, why not.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

fintail said:

BMW tire pressure was probably 1.5 psi low :)

The 1970 'ring video that has made the rounds for awhile still takes the cake.

Yes, the preponderance of rear-engine Fiats, swing-axle VWs and Renaults made for much more impressive lower-speed crashes, especially since they all tended to shed all their glass in a rollover and eject their occupants via the window openings or opening doors thanks to their flexible construction. Amazing the number of people who got out of those vehicles while still moving or shortly after stopping.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Yep, German plastic parts are expensive as we just found out!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

ab348 said:

You'd see more Cadillacs, but the Nürburgring doesn't allow drivers over 80 years of age and also prohibits cars with permanently activated left turn signals.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

You'd see more Cadillacs, but the Nürburgring doesn't allow drivers over 80 years of age and also prohibits cars with permanently activated left turn signals.

You seem to be blinded by the red mist that seems to permanently afflict many BMW drivers. This was a crash video, not a fast laps video. If you look up one of those you will find lots of very fast Caddys being expertly driven and successfully navigating the course.

edited December 2021
    I found an M240i xDrive in Illinois. It has everything I want, but two things I don't- AWD and a hole in the roof...

ab348 said:

You seem to be blinded by the red mist that seems to permanently afflict many BMW drivers. This was a crash video, not a fast laps video. If you look up one of those you will find lots of very fast Caddys being expertly driven and successfully navigating the course.
    Don't all BMW drivers leave the fog lights on permanently? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

What’s the difference between a (insert car brand) and a porcupine? A porcupine has the pricks on the outside :)

edited December 2021

Hoovie bought a Shelby GT500. I think I’ve found what I’d flip the ZHP for given unlimited funds.

By the way, I seem to have broken the Jeep out of fuel and oil refresh mode. Got it up to operating temp long enough (about an hour in 20 degree weather).

edited December 2021

@28firefighter said:
    By the way, I seem to have broken the Jeep out of fuel and oil refresh mode. Got it up to operating temp long enough (about an hour in 20 degree weather).

I had read 30 min drive at operating temp would do it. It has been warm here so it has been working on electric. Who knows though, I had also read it will stay on ICE if cold outside (baby it’s cold outside :) )

@ab348 said:

“Hold my beer”. “Watch this”

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    ab348 said:

05:40 was a moment for @fintail to be proud. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229

@28firefighter said:

That’s good. I’ve noticed my Prius seems to take a very long time to reach full operating temperature—much longer than a conventional ICE vehicle. But it produces heat from the HVAC fairly quickly.