Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940

I texted and emailed the dealer with the ‘11 S in the early afternoon, but no response to either.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390

No clue. I’m figuring 3 months.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061

No clue. I’m figuring 3 months.

Let me know how those numbers work out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

@stickguy said:
    It is basically the convertible version of Roadburners red Ti. Perfectly powerful enough. Zero need for the bigger 6 cyl when you have the manual trans.

Precisely. The M42(1.8) and M44(1.9) motors were designed to be driven in classic European fashion- wound out past 4,500 rpm to make usable power. Treated in that fashion they are an absolute hoot. Short shift them like a big block V8 and they are underwhelming. The manual is what used to be called a “close ratio” transmission as it’s a five speed where fifth is direct- 1:1. The motor happily spins away at 4,000 rpm at 80 mph.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,660

OK, this is kind of nuts.
    My Explorer has trailer tow and crossbars, which this one does not.
    I'm at just about half the miles plus doesn't have 2 minor accidents on Carfax.
    Also, I paid less unless you add taxes and fees.
    https://www.familyfordinc.net/used/Ford/2020-Ford-Explorer-ab1719ef0a0e09af63592c3ce32400f9.htm

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@kyfdx said:

Based on today’s rates I’d be at sign and drive $503 at sign and $503 a month including tax and tags for WA before shipping. If I did a one pay it’d drop to $408 including tax, but before shipping. That’s on a $66k rubicon.

It’s a bit more than now but I’d be clearing $10k plus profit on the Jeep.

Any more takers on the wait time for an ordered Bronco? By the way, this dealer's latest ad campaign points out that you can order a car just the way YOU want it!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner said:
    Any more takers on the wait time for an ordered Bronco? By the way, this dealer's latest ad campaign points out that you can order a car just the way YOU want it!!!

Depending on what I think it’s gotta be 9-12 months.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    depends on trim and options. If you order a low option base or big bend, could be fairly quick. If you want a color matched hardtop sasquatch, could be a long, long time

From following the Maverick, different dealers can give a big difference. But I would ballpark 6 months.

better than a Hybrid Maverick. You won't even be able to order one of those to IIRC next August. I ordered mine 10/30 I think, and am not expecting that until maybe Memorial day. My Ecoboost though took about 3.5 months from order to delivery (and probably would still be waiting if I had not forgotten to add the spray in bedliner to the order!)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

and the order process is actually nice for people that are particular about what they get. Just not when there is still way more demand compared to capacity, and varying features constraints. It is an artform right now to know what they are scheduling, and not order the wrong feature (unless you have to have it, and it can't be done as an accessory). On the Mav, they ran into capacity issues with the spray in, so only something like 3% of orders with that are getting scheduled. Tonneau covers have been the same issue. So to get picked for a build date, buyers are dropping those and doing after it arrives (I did that with the cover).

but if the market and parts supplies stabilize, it is actually a good system Ford has. Go to the site, build and configure exactly what you want, then can shop the order to different dealers to get the price you want, then have them submit it. You get an email from Ford, then just wait for them to select it to build. Before the current constraints, it only took 3-6 weeks to get a car depending on what it was and where built.

edited January 2022
    The correct answer is NINE months! My wife thought the guy actually didn't know or else wanted to steer me to the Broncos that were already on the ground. When I worked at BMW and I didn't know the answer to a customer's question I told them that I would find out the answer- I didn't just pull a crazy response out of my *ss.
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised; this is the dealer with the parts department that responded to my email inquiry that they had several quarts of the transaxle oil I wanted in stock. When I showed up the parts guy told me that they didn't have any in stock and that I should have called- because "the emails are always wrong."
    So as before, Kings Ford in Cincinnati remains the only Ford dealer that I've dealt with that didn't go out of their way to p*ss me off- although Tasca Ford does have an exceptional parts department, so there's that.

speaking of Mavericks, I was poking around on Rodo yesterday looking for the unicorn (these days) good deal. Did not find it. But they did have a model close to mine (same trim and FWD, a few less options). On the finance side, they list MSRP and sales price.

their sales offer was $3,600ish above sticker. Which means almost $5,500 more than I paid for mine factoring in how much below sticker I got it for (with no tacked on gimmick accessories). If the car market even stays relatively flat it is going to be a long time before I am not above the original water line on this one!

now just need my bedliner (it unnerves me to see all that shiny sheet metal in the bed) and for my nice low profile cover to come in. At least the cover was at a nice discount too using the forum contact, and can be transferred to a new truck if I get one. Since it was cheaper than I expected I upgraded to the ultra low profile fabric (instead of vinyl) version.

https://truxedo.com/pro-x15/2022/ford/maverick

edited January 2022
    and 9 months is entirely possible depending on the packages you want. they started out with a huge surplus of orders. also sounds like you could cross over into the next model year (or might as well at that point).

I sat in a couple at the dealer. It seem huge. I actually looked up the specs and couldn't believe it was almost the same dimensions as a Wrangler. It just felt much bigger. Probably for being jacked up, and having such a big, extended hood.

stickguy said:

and 9 months is entirely possible depending on the packages you want. they started out with a huge surplus of orders. also sounds like you could cross over into the next model year (or might as well at that point).

It doesn't matter; if we decide to replace the X1 and TJ with one off-road vehicle it will definitely be a JL Wrangler- most likely a fully optioned 2 door Willys.

9 months. Excellent custom order process setup they have there.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    edited January 2022
    @roadburner,
    I watched a YT video of a guy getting his Rivian. He said he put in his reservation 3 years ago.
    Try a Bronco(6g) specific forum to see what they have to say there.
    I'm not doing your homework for you. :s
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@roadburner,
    I watched a YT video of a guy getting his Rivian. He said he put in his reservation 3 years ago.
    Try a Bronco(6g) specific forum to see what they have to say there.
    I'm not doing your homework for you. :s

As I said, not a concern- just a humorous aside. I'm going with a JL.

When I worked at BMW we could order an X3/4/5/6 from BMW Manufacturing in less than three weeks- assuming no BMW Individual(pricey paint/upholstery) options were specified.
    I don't know what the situation is now.

@roadburner,
    I guess you didn't pick up that I did do the homework for you. B)

well, you don't have to order one. Just wander down to the Ford dealer Monday and bring one home. Just don't complain about how it is equipped. Or the price!

double edge sword of building some new vehicles that are super popular. Just can't keep up with demand out of 1 factory. the Bronco was probably expected to be more of a niche product. So either you get on the list and wait, or they stop taking orders and tell you that you are on your own.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    stickguy said:

better than a Hybrid Maverick. You won't even be able to order one of those to IIRC next August.

I think the dealer in Horsham is willing to put you on a waiting list to be one of the first to order a 2023 Hybrid when ordering opens. Most dealers aren't doing that. I'm wondering whether they will offer an AWD hybrid in 2023.

@kyfdx said:

Based on today’s rates I’d be at sign and drive $503 at sign and $503 a month including tax and tags for WA before shipping. If I did a one pay it’d drop to $408 including tax, but before shipping. That’s on a $66k rubicon.

It’s a bit more than now but I’d be clearing $10k plus profit on the Jeep.

$408 X 36 = $14,700? My tax rate is only 6%, so about $575 less for me. Cheap!

Of course, if I’m flipping it, I don’t want to prepay finance charges. I’d just worry about CCAP changing their 3rd party rules.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

aren't they one of the few still allowing flips like that?

at least buying my truck, no worries if I ever want to do something with it.

corvette said:

stickguy said:

better than a Hybrid Maverick. You won't even be able to order one of those to IIRC next August.

I think the dealer in Horsham is willing to put you on a waiting list to be one of the first to order a 2023 Hybrid when ordering opens. Most dealers aren't doing that. I'm wondering whether they will offer an AWD hybrid in 2023.
    same dealer I got my through. Just a different branch. I have not seen anything about AWD. Might arrive someday, but I doubt they are in any hurry considering they can't come close to building the hybrid orders they already have (or that wanted to get in). and the vast majority of buyers seem perfectly fine with the FWD.

I suppose they could spec out the early orders when 2023 opens and just have somebody start entering the second it opens, first comes first serves. I have no clue if they enter them individually or can queue them all up though.

maybe an AWD plug in hybrid as a performance model like a Tremor? That could be interesting!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    stickguy said:

I have not seen anything about AWD. Might arrive someday, but I doubt they are in any hurry considering they can't come close to building the hybrid orders they already have (or that wanted to get in). and the vast majority of buyers seem perfectly fine with the FWD.

There was speculation that it would be easy to offer AWD in the hybrid, but if they're selling all they can make in FWD form, there's probably no incentive to. I doubt Ford will release the 2023 model specs / order guide until later this year.
    2023 orders go live in August. Not sure how far in advance they release it. And they have the components since I think the Escape Hybrid offers AWD. May be some packaging differences with the truck of course. Or, they looked at it all along as the cheapo special option!

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    xwesx said:

sb55 said:

After clearing the 10 or inches of snow we got, I feel great.
    The air is clear and crisp and it felt good to get the old bones moving.

For us old Northerners, who else saw the new "data" that men over 45 shouldn't shovel snow!
    Does that mean that our SO's do it, or that we hibernate until it melts? I'm over medicare age (67 this month) and I still plow my own 1/4 mile long driveway and have to shovel walkways and when it drifts in where the plow doesn't reach. I think that it's exercise, not a trip to the hospital!

No, that's just an excuse to buy a snowthrower.

You know you want one....! :D
    @xwesx_
    I have one. And a little Kubota with a plow and a shovel. It sometimes takes all 3 to get it done. I only live 20 miles south of Canada and it does snow up here :(

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    For the last few days my local Acura dealer hasn't had any new vehicles in stock. Things are pretty bad out there. And just six months ago some were predicting things might get better by January.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Speaking of the Toyobaru twins: Not a single one in stock in Greater Cincinnati, not even automatics

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276

Well, I see brokers advertising X3m40i orders at 5% off MSRP and m340 at 6% off MSRP. Sadly I’d be better off paying MSRP plus $1100 mop and glow because I live in a state where you only pay sales tax on the difference so a trade in makes the most sense vs selling to vroom and ordering.

Must resist. I don’t think looking at videos is helping me to resist. :)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    edited January 2022
    The lack of inventory of new vehicles is puzzling. There were numerous news reports before the end of 2021 that plants were starting up again and beginning to produce vehicles. So where are they going? If a production line is turning out 40 or 50 vehicles an hour as is typical, that means 300-400 per 8-hour shift, obviously more than that if running 2 shifts. At that rate it would not take very long to build many thousands, times however many plants are running.

I'm considering only NA production here, as I understand Asian makes are hung up because of delays in ports at either end of the chain.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

May be similar in NA because of chip shortage and chips may be sitting on ships at NA ports.

When I drive by factories in IN and KY, I see lots of vehicles sitting outside and am told they are complete except for the parts needing chips- I assume ECU and TCU.

there was a back-up of demand. In the fall I stopped at the Toyota dealer to look at Tacomas and had a nice chat with the sales dude. They did not have any on the lot available in stock, but had a somewhat steady supply coming in. They were all just being spoken for in advance.

so best to just go to the dealer, make a contact, and have them show you the incoming pipeline, and claim one. Unless you can wait a lot longer to custom order something, probably the most effective way to get something reasonably soon.

I think Ford produced about 6,000 Mavericks the last few months (Nov-Dec), but all 12,000 were customer orders. So when I showed up to get mine, there were actually 4 new ones in front of the building. But none of them actually available, or showing in their inventory list (and I think all were being delivered NYE).

actually sounds more like the European model, where the majority of cars are ordered, and dealers maintain very little inventory.

mjfloyd1 said:

May be similar in NA because of chip shortage and chips may be sitting on ships at NA ports.

When I drive by factories in IN and KY, I see lots of vehicles sitting outside and am told they are complete except for the parts needing chips- I assume ECU and TCU.

Need to unmothball some of the many US site chip fabs to get these old school chips going. Probably something that should be a public-private partnership considering how much of a national interest (security and economic) they are at this point.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

Anyone need a truck?

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdMmk5hh/

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    benjaminh said:

For the last few days my local Acura dealer hasn't had any new vehicles in stock. Things are pretty bad out there. And just six months ago some were predicting things might get better by January.

Wow! I’ve noticed many dealers with only a handful of inventory, but no inventory, ouch. I’ve also noticed that a dealer will show they have new inventory only to find that vehicle is in transit. Misleading.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Drove by the local Toyota dealer this morning. Saw 1 new Tacoma, that's it.
    mjfloyd1 said:

I would assume that chips in high demand would be air freighted rather than delivered by ship but never underestimate the dumb moves of the bean counters.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Need to unmothball some of the many US site chip fabs to get these old school chips going. Probably something that should be a public-private partnership considering how much of a national interest (security and economic) they are at this point.
    I agree but it may go deeper than that. I’ve read that auto makers could have resolved this problem by redesigning their systems long ago to use fewer more advanced chips to perform many functions that they now use multiple obsolete chips. For whatever reason they resisted doing this and now find themselves between a rock and a hard place.

You would think government would try to solve this problem but that would take initiative that government seldom possess.

tjc78 said:

Anyone need a truck?

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdMmk5hh/

I scrolled down after looking at that truck…..man am I glad I don’t use social media. :s

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,234
    The Subaru dealer where we got the Outback has 38 new cars on their website.

Don't know how many of them are "in transit".

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090

You would think government would try to solve this problem but that would take initiative that government seldom possess.

Having worked most of my career in govt, that line makes me laugh. Govt solves far fewer problems than it creates.

One example (anecdotally, as it was just something I read online recently) was that the bottlenecks at west coast ports were caused in part by the state govt in California enacting some sort of draconian environmental law or regulation that greatly limited the number of diesel truck tractors that could service the docks. Ships were idling offshore waiting for their turn to offload cargo.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

dealers always showed in transit allocations as in stock. You just didn't tend to notice it as much when they also have acres of cars on the lot.

edited January 2022
    @ab348,
    One of my kids is concerned with supply chain issues.
    In CA, they are also tightening the emissions levels for trucks in 2025 but also going zero emissions in 2030. I'm going with what I recall of the conversation about it.
    Companies don't want to buy trucks now that will be obsolete that soon into their lifecycle.

I’ve found the inspiration (well, half the inspiration) for the M3 and M4 grilles - Edsel

Make sure you read the comments just above the Edsel picture…

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,234
    stickguy said:

dealers always showed in transit allocations as in stock. You just didn't tend to notice it as much when they also have acres of cars on the lot.

That's what our Outback was, when we bought it. On the website, but waiting to be trucked in from the factory in Indiana.

Made a $500 deposit to reserve it, waited two weeks for it to arrive, then made the deal once it showed up.

Now that I think of it, the kids MINI was the same way - we had to wait for it to show up at the dealer from the port in CA (where I grew up, as it turns out).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

My wife suggested I trade both the 2er and the X1 in and buy a new X3 M40i, but I really don't want a CUV- although I could live with an X3 M Comp if I had to. One dealer has a nice loaded RWD M340i but again, no non ///M vehicles if I can help it.

Been watching a few reviews of the Elantra N. Biggest disappointment for me is the quality of interior materials. So much hard, scratchy plastic for such a cool car.