Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

1260926102612261426152647

Comments

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,858

    Pretty sure it’s the water pump.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,003

    That hood will buff right out. All he will need is a few dabs of JB Weld and call it good :)

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,106

    The part that shot through the hood was the fan

    '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6. 56-car history and counting!

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,544

    @mjfloyd1 said:
    That hood will buff right out. All he will need is a few dabs of JB Weld and call it good :)

    Don’t tell us. Try to convince @ab348 about that. :(

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,544

    @qbrozen said:
    The part that shot through the hood was the fan

    You almost have to try to do that. Like ignoring noise for a while coming from under the hood.

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    A colleague of mine at work just got a 335d for like $18K with 52K miles. Seems like a deal and the great mileage would be great right now. Of course, he admitted it had been crashed twice, front and back, but repaired by a "BMW body shop." If you can overlook fit and finish issues from CA body shops seems like a bargain though in this market.

    Are the BMW diesels problematic for reliability?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    nyccarguy said:

    conquest rebate of $2500 on top of that until Oct. 31st that includes your dead Audi,

    This made me laugh

    I still have one "live" Audi, and that one is a 2016 with 51,000 miles. I'm in the danger zone for both age and mileage now.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 16,568
    Good start on a ram air system.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810

    stickguy said:

    my new BFF at the Honda dealer called again today with an update on the new Si. I am surprised they are that invested given how low inventories are to get some random guy locked into something coming in. But he said they found out they have 2 allocated for some point (end of the year he suspects). But not color options yet of pricing. So he is calling me back as soon as they get that detail. So I assume at that point I could claim dibs and pick a color on the one regular model (the other one will have the HPD package which I wouldn't pay extra for anyway).

    no clue when they will have the pricing but should be fairly soon. I don't know why they don't just release everything at the same time.

    I’m guessing that with no inventory to sell they have to look busy so why not make a bunch of phone calls regardless of potential to make a sale.
    Yes! Exactly! With so little to sell, salesman have plenty of time for follow up even for someone mulling their options. Both Acura and VW sales man followed up with me; the Kia guy didn't yet.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    No loaners seems like a bad dealership and a breach of contract...... Of course, are the free loaners "written" anywhere? That's a good part of why I prefer Audi to VW. Free loaners is awesome convenience.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    benjaminh said:

    One extra cost that seems to go with owning a Tesla is that some are reporting a need for more frequent tire replacement, largely because of vehicle weight and the high torque. According to this Tesla owner....

    "How Long Do Tesla Model 3 Tires really Last?...Under regular driving, 25,000 to 30,000 miles is an overall reasonable expectation. By driving gently on good roads and/or highways, some Tesla owners make their tires last over 40k miles, possibly up to 50k. Spirited drivers may expect their tires to last less than 25k miles....

    And as crazy as this sounds, this is an improvement over previous Teslas. Take the Model S, for example. 1,000 pounds heavier — and with an even more powerful motor. Owners claim to have replaced their tires after as little as 10,000 miles. For context, that’s 10 months for the average American. 10 freakin’ months! That’s enough to offset any environmental or financial benefit of owning an electric vehicle.…"

    https://teslatuneup.com/tesla-model-3-tire-wear/

    No one ever said going fast was cheap.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,310

    @jmonroe1 said:

    @qbrozen said:
    The part that shot through the hood was the fan

    You almost have to try to do that. Like ignoring noise for a while coming from under the hood.

    jmonroe

    That’s exactly what I was going to say. A water pump will make a tremendous racket before failing catastrophically. The driver was either a complete moron or he had his head firmly stuck in his nether regions- possibly both.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,516
    edited October 27

    @jmonroe1 said:

    @qbrozen said:

    The part that shot through the hood was the fan

    You almost have to try to do that. Like ignoring noise for a while coming from under the hood.

    jmonroe

    That’s exactly what I was going to say. A water pump will make a tremendous racket before failing catastrophically. The driver was either a complete moron or he had his head firmly stuck in his nether regions- possibly both.


    The one in my ‘13 E93 gave no warning. Accelerated from a light and the car went into limp mode. I guess technically that was the warning. Luckily it was just inside the warranty.

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,544

    @au1994 said:
    The one in my ‘13 E93 gave no warning. Accelerated from a light and the car went into limp mode. I guess technically that was the warning. Luckily it was just inside the warranty.

    I’d say that was a pretty good warning. Ignore that and, well, you’ve seen the results.

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 44,086
    I think the loaner plan always has done sort of when available disclaimer.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTMember Posts: 15,058
    andres3 said:

    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    No loaners seems like a bad dealership and a breach of contract...... Of course, are the free loaners "written" anywhere? That's a good part of why I prefer Audi to VW. Free loaners is awesome convenience.
    In reality, how "free" are those loaner cars? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice perk. I've had a few cool loaners over the years. My favorites were an E90 BMW 335d and a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible. Don't kid yourself. You are paying for that "free" loaner 1 way or another.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2017 Pilot Touring AWD, 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,106
    Took a few attempts, but I can report that the Escape's interior actually smells pleasant now. Step 1 was putting in two of those odor absorbing jars. No change after a couple of days, so I used an orange pet odor eliminator spray. Gave the whole interior a really good dousing, then closed her up with those jars still inside. After a day, there was definite improvement, but maybe 50%. Febreeze was next. Again, doused everything quite well. That got out another 25% or so. Then I decided to bust out the big guns. A half a can of men's body spray. All the while, those jars were still in there. That was either 2 or 3 days ago. I just opened the car and found it downright pleasant in there. I have a couple of "bombs" coming from Amazon, but I suppose I won't need those. If the smell returns, that's the next step.

    Meanwhile, I did the whole wire wheel, cleaning, and POR-15 treatment on the rear fenders and tailgate. The fender flares arrived. I'm pretty disappointed in the size and structure of them, but I'll still give them a shot. Just awaiting the black sealant I ordered to arrive so I can mount them with some waterproofing. I also had the thought to encase the lower portion of the tailgate in similar ABS plastic. Those sheets have arrived, as well. The debate I'm having with myself is whether or not to paint the rear bumper black to blend together the flares and tailgate plastics to look more intentional in design. I think I'm going to do it.

    '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6. 56-car history and counting!

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 44,086
    You went this far, might as well go all the way.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,961
    stickguy said:

    You went this far, might as well go all the way.

    Maybe QB should have bought a $6000 vehicle instead.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,961
    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    Same thing at my Caddy dealer. They suspended the shuttle vans in March of 2020 and never brought the guys back. For a while I could get a loaner as part of the Cadillac promise but then they sold off all their fleet when inventories dried up, so no loaners the last few months either. So now you wait or take a cab to where you need to go.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 200,963
    Our BMW dealer has always had BMW loaners. If it's a breakdown situation, they'll always find you a car, but for scheduled service, they ask for two week's notice.

    I always take the loaner. One time, I told them I'd wait (oil change service) and it was over 2 hours.. :(

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,961
    jmonroe1 said:


    Don’t tell us. Try to convince @ab348 about that. :(

    jmonroe

    I mean, the line is so overdone and trite I don't even bother to comment on it. Surely to dog nobody still thinks it's even a little bit clever or funny. But I've been wrong before...

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,516
    ab348 said:

    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    Same thing at my Caddy dealer. They suspended the shuttle vans in March of 2020 and never brought the guys back. For a while I could get a loaner as part of the Cadillac promise but then they sold off all their fleet when inventories dried up, so no loaners the last few months either. So now you wait or take a cab to where you need to go.
    I could always Uber if I don’t feel like waiting. Its about 15 miles one way so depending on time of day it wouldn’t be a cheap Uber.

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    qbrozen said:

    The part that shot through the hood was the fan

    Glad someone's face wasn't where the hood was when that happened.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    edited October 27
    nyccarguy said:

    andres3 said:

    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    No loaners seems like a bad dealership and a breach of contract...... Of course, are the free loaners "written" anywhere? That's a good part of why I prefer Audi to VW. Free loaners is awesome convenience.
    In reality, how "free" are those loaner cars? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice perk. I've had a few cool loaners over the years. My favorites were an E90 BMW 335d and a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible. Don't kid yourself. You are paying for that "free" loaner 1 way or another.
    Well, if you are "paying" for it, you are paying up front. So if the dealership fails to deliver and provide after the fact, then you in fact, paid for nothing!

    This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

    One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 5,022
    @andres3 Any update on the S4 status?

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    ab348 said:

    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    Same thing at my Caddy dealer. They suspended the shuttle vans in March of 2020 and never brought the guys back. For a while I could get a loaner as part of the Cadillac promise but then they sold off all their fleet when inventories dried up, so no loaners the last few months either. So now you wait or take a cab to where you need to go.
    Doesn't seem fair unless they pay for the cab ride.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    kyfdx said:

    Our BMW dealer has always had BMW loaners. If it's a breakdown situation, they'll always find you a car, but for scheduled service, they ask for two week's notice.

    I always take the loaner. One time, I told them I'd wait (oil change service) and it was over 2 hours.. :(

    Two weeks!!!! Yes, appointments are made and loaners are always available for you as you specify when you make the appointment. Never had to go out more than a couple days though.

    Pure Motorsport (my indy) is so busy, I did have to nearly schedule an oil change nearly 2 weeks out. They used to be 1-week call aheads, might have to adjust to 2.

    30-35 hours for an engine swap sound about right? $115/hour.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 5,945
    edited October 27
    andres3 said:

    ....This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

    One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.

    What are the "3 strikes"?

    Sounds like you're probably not going to get a new car, but a study by KBB said that Acura had the lowest cost of ownership of the luxury brands. My oil change services with full synthetic are about $50 at my local Acura dealer, and stickguy has reported something similar.

    https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/lowest-5-year-cost-to-own-luxury-brand/

    Can you find an engine from a wrecked S4 that would work?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 3,544

    @andres3 said:
    Two weeks!!!! Yes, appointments are made and loaners are always available for you as you specify when you make the appointment. Never had to go out more than a couple days though.

    Pure Motorsport (my indy) is so busy, I did have to nearly schedule an oil change nearly 2 weeks out. They used to be 1-week call aheads, might have to adjust to 2.

    30-35 hours for an engine swap sound about right? $115/hour.

    That sounds like they’ve never done it before or you look like a dope or maybe they’re using the braille method.

    jmonroe

    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 5,945
    Starting at 1:30 you can see some of what a 2014 Audi S4 engine looks like.

    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 15,961
    andres3 said:

    ab348 said:

    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    Same thing at my Caddy dealer. They suspended the shuttle vans in March of 2020 and never brought the guys back. For a while I could get a loaner as part of the Cadillac promise but then they sold off all their fleet when inventories dried up, so no loaners the last few months either. So now you wait or take a cab to where you need to go.
    Doesn't seem fair unless they pay for the cab ride.
    They cover $10 which only gets you a short distance around here.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,516
    qbrozen said:

    ab348 said:

    stickguy said:

    You went this far, might as well go all the way.

    Maybe QB should have bought a $6000 vehicle instead.
    well, to be fair, this should be a $6k car. I guess it would be if it was fixed correctly. I could probably make a few bucks on it if I wanted to. But I likely wouldn't do better for a keeper.

    Speaking of which, I just placed an order for a '22 Wrangler. ;)
    Ummm, what??

    2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 12,858

    @au1994 said:
    Ummm, what??

    Snuck that right in on us.

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 19,085
    andres3 said:

    au1994 said:

    Another sign of the times…The X1 needs to go to the dealer as it hesitates and now stalls when cold. Known issue with the cold spark advance and supposedly just a software flash. But, when making the appointment a loaner is not even an option. Drop off or wait, thats it. Now with no inventory it won’t even be fun to wander the lot. Guess I will have to sit there an work. :open_mouth:

    No loaners seems like a bad dealership and a breach of contract...... Of course, are the free loaners "written" anywhere? That's a good part of why I prefer Audi to VW. Free loaners is awesome convenience.
    A lot of the “loaners” people get from dealers or body shops are supplied by rental companies so with the shortage of rentals there could also be fewer loaners.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 19,085

    @jmonroe1 said:

    @qbrozen said:

    The part that shot through the hood was the fan

    You almost have to try to do that. Like ignoring noise for a while coming from under the hood.

    jmonroe

    That’s exactly what I was going to say. A water pump will make a tremendous racket before failing catastrophically. The driver was either a complete moron or he had his head firmly stuck in his nether regions- possibly both.


    More so if that was part of the turbo. Wouldn’t you get all sorts of smoke and whine before one of those failed?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,003

    @qbrozen said:
    well, to be fair, this should be a $6k car. I guess it would be if it was fixed correctly. I could probably make a few bucks on it if I wanted to. But I likely wouldn't do better for a keeper.

    Speaking of which, I just placed an order for a '22 Wrangler. ;)

    Another 4exxxxxxxxxe? Sahara, HA or Rubicon?

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 19,085
    qbrozen said:

    Took a few attempts, but I can report that the Escape's interior actually smells pleasant now. Step 1 was putting in two of those odor absorbing jars. No change after a couple of days, so I used an orange pet odor eliminator spray. Gave the whole interior a really good dousing, then closed her up with those jars still inside. After a day, there was definite improvement, but maybe 50%. Febreeze was next. Again, doused everything quite well. That got out another 25% or so. Then I decided to bust out the big guns. A half a can of men's body spray. All the while, those jars were still in there. That was either 2 or 3 days ago. I just opened the car and found it downright pleasant in there. I have a couple of "bombs" coming from Amazon, but I suppose I won't need those. If the smell returns, that's the next step.

    Meanwhile, I did the whole wire wheel, cleaning, and POR-15 treatment on the rear fenders and tailgate. The fender flares arrived. I'm pretty disappointed in the size and structure of them, but I'll still give them a shot. Just awaiting the black sealant I ordered to arrive so I can mount them with some waterproofing. I also had the thought to encase the lower portion of the tailgate in similar ABS plastic. Those sheets have arrived, as well. The debate I'm having with myself is whether or not to paint the rear bumper black to blend together the flares and tailgate plastics to look more intentional in design. I think I'm going to do it.

    Admit it, isn’t playing around with a cheap hooptie a lot of fun?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,106
    mjfloyd1 said:


    Another 4exxxxxxxxxe? Sahara, HA or Rubicon?

    Yes, another 4xe Sahara. I'll take the tires back off the '21 and sell it to the highest bidder. Lord knows when the '22 will arrive and if the terms will be favorable. If they are, I'll take it. If not, oh well. Ordered from Horsham, so no deposit, no broker fee, no shipping. Went with the blue and added the safety packages and LSD on top of what I already had (cold weather, hardtop, and grab handles).

    '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6. 56-car history and counting!

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,106



    Admit it, isn’t playing around with a cheap hooptie a lot of fun?

    Only if it remains cosmetic. ha. When you gotta start tearing into the mechanicals, it gets real tired real quick.

    '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6. 56-car history and counting!

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,003

    @andres3 said:
    Well, if you are "paying" for it, you are paying up front. So if the dealership fails to deliver and provide after the fact, then you in fact, paid for nothing!

    This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

    One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.

    If it was Audi paying for half the motor and half the labor, then you would have some warranty which may (or may not) in your mind be worth any extra cost.

  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 478
    edited October 27
    benjaminh said:

    After the shocking failure of the engine in the Audi owned by andres, I did think about the electric motors in Teslas, which are designed to last a million miles. The batteries might need replacement in 10-12 years, but the motors are designed to last an incredibly long time.

    "In 2015, Musk said that they “want drive units that just never wear out”, resulting in Tesla changing their aim to one million miles in their endurance tests. “We are very happy with the quality of the drive unit. We changed the goal of the drive unit endurance from being approximately 200,000 miles to being a million miles – just basically we want drive units that just never wear out. That’s our goal. I think we made really good progress in that direction. the drive unit that are going out now and for the last several months have been excellent.”

    https://electrek.co/2018/10/15/tesla-drive-after-million-miles-test/

    In the past I have been Tesla skeptic. As their stock rose I thought it would eventually crash. Musk seemed to be kind of a jerk. There were numerous reports of quality control problems and service issues. I have to admit though that the formula of a very reliable powertrain coupled with intoxicating acceleration and increasingly more options for recharging one cannot argue with success.

    The recent purchase of $4 Billion worth of Model 3s by Hertz resulting in Tesla Cap worth of $1T is astounding.
    Toyota Cap worth is 1/4th VW: 1/6th GM: 1/12th Ford: 1/15 Honda: 1/20th
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 5,945
    edited October 27
    Sometimes Musk can be first-class jerk, but Tesla is getting some key things right. Tesla seems to be putting some of their billions back into operations in terms of improved quality and better service—although there still won't be a service center in my city of 1-million for about another year.

    One thing Tesla has done a lot recently is raise prices. Back in 2019 you could get a Model 3 for 38k, but now the least expensive one is about $45,200—and so a price increase of more than $7000 in two years. Given this market you can't blame them, but on the other hand Ford has so far held the line on the price of its new Maverick, even though demand for it is very high. But Tesla's price increases have finally brought profitability after years of loses.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 196,573
    benjaminh said:

    Sometimes Musk can be first-class jerk, but Tesla is getting some key things right. Tesla seems to be putting some of their billions back into operations in terms of improved quality and better service—although there still won't be a service center in my city of 1-million for about another year.

    One thing Tesla has done a lot recently is raise prices. Back in 2019 you could get a Model 3 for 38k, but now the least expensive one is about $45,200—and so a price increase of more than $7000 in two years. Given this market you can't blame them, but on the other hand Ford has so far held the line on the price of its new Maverick, even though demand for it is very high. But Tesla's price increases have finally brought profitability after years of loses.

    I’ll disagree with your last point. Most of Tesla’s profits come from selling energy credits to other car companies; although I don’t have proof, my guess is that the sales aspect of the company is not generating any profit.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,106

    If by that you mean they have yet to recoup their startup costs, I think that is absolutely true.

    '21 Wrangler 4xE, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '14 Town&Country Limited, '10 Escape XLT v6. 56-car history and counting!

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    edited October 27
    mjfloyd1 said:

    @andres3 said:

    Well, if you are "paying" for it, you are paying up front. So if the dealership fails to deliver and provide after the fact, then you in fact, paid for nothing!

    This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

    One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.

    If it was Audi paying for half the motor and half the labor, then you would have some warranty which may (or may not) in your mind be worth any extra cost.


    For certain "extended warranties" and all the calls and voicemails I get asking about extended warranties on my vehicles suddenly seem a lot more valuable than they used to! LOL :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    edited October 27
    benjaminh said:

    andres3 said:

    ....This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

    One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.

    What are the "3 strikes"?

    Sounds like you're probably not going to get a new car, but a study by KBB said that Acura had the lowest cost of ownership of the luxury brands. My oil change services with full synthetic are about $50 at my local Acura dealer, and stickguy has reported something similar.

    https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/lowest-5-year-cost-to-own-luxury-brand/

    Can you find an engine from a wrecked S4 that would work?
    The 3 strikes are as follows:
    1. Bought Used (risky risky unless CPO). Audi's in the business of selling new cars.
    2. Bought not from an Audi Dealership (BMW Dealership in AZ) One way a manufacturer supports Dealerships is to support their own.
    3. More than a year past the 4 year warranty, in fact, more than 2 years past it.

    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    edited October 27
    benjaminh said:

    andres3 said:

    ....This assumes you don't go to the stealership after the "free maintenance" period or outside of warranty.

    One reason I am not taking my S4 to Audi is I have 3 strikes against me and the best service advisor was honest with me, and mentioned their labor rate is now north of $200/hour. Even an offer of "paying for half the motor" would be lost to that labor rate.

    What are the "3 strikes"?

    Sounds like you're probably not going to get a new car, but a study by KBB said that Acura had the lowest cost of ownership of the luxury brands. My oil change services with full synthetic are about $50 at my local Acura dealer, and stickguy has reported something similar.

    https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/lowest-5-year-cost-to-own-luxury-brand/

    Can you find an engine from a wrecked S4 that would work?
    Finding an engine is doable. Finding an engine that's got less than 50K miles seems to be impossible. Finding a seller that stands behind what they're selling is a tall order too.

    Vendors range from "as-is, to 30 days, to 60 days, to 90 days, to 6 months, to the typical 1 year 12k repair warranty, but those suppliers are fresh out of 3.0T Audi motors.

    New motor order = 4-weeks from Germany assuming the boat doesn't get lost in the Bermuda triangle or stuck at the Port waiting in line.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 12,810
    sda said:

    @andres3 Any update on the S4 status?

    See above.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
Sign In or Register to comment.