Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @28firefighter, so sorry for losing your best friend. When they’re gone, it takes a piece of our heart with them,
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    @28firefighter,
    Sorry to hear about your dog. We would get upset when our guinea pigs would pass away.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    @28firefighter,
    You have my strong sympathies. I know how bad it hurts.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,540

Got ambitious and waxed the truck this morning. And I never do that with new cars. Online forum said there could be an issue with rail dust hurting the paint after so much time on the train. And there were a few pieces of gunk on the roof.

Since it was just washed and in the garage I gave it a coat lid meguires cleaner wax. Figured that would remove and dust or iron particles and protect the paint. Came out good. Even slicker than it was and the stuff on the roof is all gone. Now it is all set to hibernate for the winter

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    stickguy said:

Got ambitious and waxed the truck this morning. And I never do that with new cars. Online forum said there could be an issue with rail dust hurting the paint after so much time on the train. And there were a few pieces of gunk on the roof.

Since it was just washed and in the garage I gave it a coat lid meguires cleaner wax. Figured that would remove and dust or iron particles and protect the paint. Came out good. Even slicker than it was and the stuff on the roof is all gone. Now it is all set to hibernate for the winter

How did you wash it during the snow bomb apocalypse?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I had to shovel the snow pile to get to the hose bib and make sure the hose did not run across the snow. And did it in my driveway Wednesday when the temp hit a balmy 43 and it wasn't raining.

it was somewhat weird being out there doing it when most of the lawn was still covered by snow.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

I had to shovel the snow pile to get to the hose bib and make sure the hose did not run across the snow. And did it in my driveway Wednesday when the temp hit a balmy 43 and it wasn't raining.

it was somewhat weird being out there doing it when most of the lawn was still covered by snow.

I have never seen anyone washing a car, in the driveway with a hose, while there was snow on the ground. That must have been some sight.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    Neighbors probably think I’m weird anyway but I don’t care. As long as they stay off my lawn.

Get looks when I’m out mowing in August when it’s 98 and humid too.

Purists hide your eyes, but since I was out there anyway, I pulled out the tools and mounted the plate. Screws I bout worked fine. On solid, and no hissing noises or puddles coming from the front end.

But oddly they were torx head screws. Had to dig out the drill bit set to find that.

It looks fine to me. Helps that the mount is almost the same color as the bumper (and is the color of the grills). It blends in fine, and now all that’s left is to get to the inspection station Monday.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited February 2022

@stickguy said:
    Neighbors probably think I’m weird anyway but I don’t care. As long as they stay off my lawn.

Get looks when I’m out mowing in August when it’s 98 and humid too.

Must be a south Jersey thing… I’ve washed my car with snow on the ground too.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    I'm looking forward to when I can have the car self-drive itself to the car wash, put on car wash mode, clean itself up, and drive back. All while I'm sleeping.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    stickguy said:

This is definitely a me problem, but I absolutely read this at first as "Got ambitious and got waxed this morning" and had some follow-ups. But glad I re-read.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    henryn said:

I have never seen anyone washing a car, in the driveway with a hose, while there was snow on the ground. That must have been some sight.

When my buddy who moved up-country still lived in his house here in the burbs, his heated garage had a mixing faucet for a hose bib so he would wash his cars in the winter with warm water. He was a bit obsessive. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502

@qbrozen said:
    I haven't kept in touch with the person who graced me with their login. I have no clue what they are up to these days. But I've had that login for many many years. It is the end of an era.

I haven't used my login that much because I didn't want someone to notice and disable it.

It pulled Manheim, galves(cause northeast obviously) NADA, KBB, local auctions plus similar cars listed for retail within a selected radius.

The local auctions data was usually crap but sometimes useful to spot outliers.

I just recently found out that the guy who set up my login some 10 plus years ago left less.than a year after me. I wonder if anyone else would even notice me logging in from time to time as long as I don't save anything.

edited February 2022
    ab348 said:

henryn said:

When my buddy who moved up-country still lived in his house here in the burbs, his heated garage had a mixing faucet for a hose bib so he would wash his cars in the winter with warm water. He was a bit obsessive. ;)
    I just fill up the bucket inside with warm water since I stick my hand in that. Not worried about the rinse hose being colder. I just hate when the wind blows it into my face!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,090
    I drive to the automatic carwash, get out, then get back in, and drive home.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    kyfdx said:

I drive to the automatic carwash, get out, then get back in, and drive home.

I don't even get out. The basic wash still has attendants dry the car by hand.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@ab348 said:

Hold on…a heated garage with a hot and cold faucet makes you obsessive? Dang! 😀

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

CNET reviews are usually of the softball variety so their conclusion here isn’t a surprise but here’s their take on the Bronco vs Wrangler question:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/2021-ford-bronco-review/#ftag=COS-05-10aaa0j

breld said:

@ab348 said:

Hold on…a heated garage with a hot and cold faucet makes you obsessive? Dang! 😀

No, it was the part that made him stand outside in his driveway washing cars in the snow that made him obsessive.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,090
    @breld

This is where you want to go:
    https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I was about to mention that, but kyfdx beat me to it. Also, if you are a reciprocal member of a museum in the SERM network, you can get into Cheekwood for free.
    That definitely is not the model Firebird that was in the original movie. It's too new.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278

@breld said:
    Visiting Nashville with some friends this weekend.

This is displayed at the Country Music Hall of Fame…

Oh the screaming chicken :)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    You must be planning to live to be about 900 years old :)
    tifighter said:

I'm looking forward to when I can have the car self-drive itself to the car wash, put on car wash mode, clean itself up, and drive back. All while I'm sleeping.

well, my wife already has a car like that. Also fills itself with gas when it needs it.

of course if she loses me the car stops functioning like that.

@qbrozen,
    What does your insurance agent say about all these vehicle changes?

@qbrozen,

I’d guess that as long as he keeps making the premium payments the agent won’t care. Of course once the shuttle bus arrives it may be a different story… :D

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502

@breld

Man Nashville. My ex was from Nashville and she passed away a few months ago. I have all those happy great but confusing and sad memories now.

Don't think I could ever go back there.

@british_rover said:
    @breld

Man Nashville. My ex was from Nashville and she passed away a few months ago. I have all those happy great but confusing and sad memories now.

Don't think I could ever go back there.

I’m so sorry for your loss - even if confusing.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,

The insurance app does not judge me

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    qbrozen said:

Signed for the Ram tonight and brought her home. Good GOD it is ridiculous. Over the top in every way. I did not realize even I would have trouble getting in and out of it. It should have steps standard.

BIG congrats on the TRX!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Signed for the Ram tonight and brought her home. Good GOD it is ridiculous. Over the top in every way. I did not realize even I would have trouble getting in and out of it. It should have steps standard.

BIG congrats on the TRX!

Yes, that's fantastic! We need more than photos this time; we need a video of you jumping it. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    edited February 2022
    fintail said:

You must be planning to live to be about 900 years old :)

tifighter said:

Probably. But it did drive me to across town to our recycling center on its own the other day. Seriously.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited February 2022

@qbrozen
    Pictures or it didn’t happen

@breld
    Enjoy Nashville. Don’t have too many drinks at Tootsies!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Sorry for your loss. When our first pup passed, I was a mess. Was 13 at the time and my first experience with death. Took me a few days to come to grips with it. My folks waited a few months and then decided we needed another pup in the house, and she was with us for about 15 years. They become such a part of our family that once they're gone, it's such a loss for everyone. Take some time but eventually, get another pet as they help our kids become adults in that they now have someone else depending on them, and having them is a great lesson in life.
    Grieve as much as y'all need & remember, we're all with ya on this!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

No pictures of the TRX? Does it not fit in the frame?

I took vids. Wish i could share

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Here are some stills from the vids

qbrozen said:

Here are some stills from the vids

Gotta update that ol' signature line - maybe a separate line for the stuff that's on order.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

TRX needs its own line to represent how huge it is.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    edited February 2022
    That’s a very angry looking front end. Will you be tailgating some poor LLC in that thing?

For what it’s worth, the Ram is the nicest riding of the big three domestics.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

That definitely is not the model Firebird that was in the original movie. It's too new.

The original was not the Turbo version, either. They just picked a random Trans Am of the era, shined it up, and put it in the museum.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @qbrozen ….that is so cool. Congrats on the punch!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    The TRX looks really cool! Enjoy for a month or so and good luck with the flip!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

should have gotten the red one across the aisle. That is a sharp color!

I don't think the pictures do justice to have large it is.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @qbrozen, nice truck, congrats! You’re giving @breld some nice competition. Oh, and great pic of your hand!