Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Update on the possible new truck purchase. I ran down the salesman who sold me my last new F150, back in 2018. He’s actually still working part time. He thought offhand that I couldn’t get the $5k off MSRP, but he said he would talk to his manager and get back to me.

It seems I can indeed get $5k off MSRP on an order. There is a customer cash bonus sitting out there for $500, which expires on February 28th (4 days from now). In addition, Ford just yesterday started a new 60 month 0% financing deal for the F150. And in lieu of the 0% financing, you can opt for $2k cash incentive. And both of those will stack, and will also stack with my $2,500 private cash offer.

Which leaves me with a decision to make. I gathered some online offers for this 2013 F150 work truck, and those numbers are all over the place. A low of $8.7k, average about $12k, and Carvana is at $14,883. When I bought it about 10 months ago, Carvana was offering $13.2, so they have gone up $1.6k. The insanity continues.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

I'm going to state the obvious now - 100k in 5 years is actually very different than a 12 year old car with 80k. I'm willing to bet it is on the verge of becoming a maintenance nightmare just by age.

You only need it for three months?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    edited February 2022
    kyfdx said:

I'm going to state the obvious now - 100k in 5 years is actually very different than a 12 year old car with 80k. I'm willing to bet it is on the verge of becoming a maintenance nightmare just by age.

You only need it for three months?
    if it blows up in that 3 months, the $7000 car will quickly become $11000...

If my experience with my Dad's BMW wagon was any indication, that will most assuredly happen.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    I guess I’d just search for a simple 4dr, 4cyl compact. Whatever flavor you decide on, Civic, Corolla, Focus, Elantra etc they have made hundreds of thousands of so it should be a proven platform.

If something goes wrong it shouldn’t be too expensive to fix. Unless a major drivetrain component gives it up, which is a risk at this price point but sticking to the usual suspects would help mitigate the risk.

3 months really isn’t that long and if a window regulator quits, so what? No radio? There’s an iPhone for that.

Make sure it has decent tires, slap some fresh fluids in it and bulbs and off you go. Maybe do the serpentine and plugs if you are feeling froggy.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Does anybody have any experience with CARMAX? There is one about 1 hour away from me. They've got the strongest offer by a little more than $1,000. AlGo Came up to $33,500. Do they penalize for every scratch? My truck is in good shape, but it isn't perfect.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Does anybody have any experience with CARMAX? There is one about 1 hour away from me. They've got the strongest offer by a little more than $1,000. AlGo Came up to $33,500. Do they penalize for every scratch? My truck is in good shape, but it isn't perfect.

If you were honest in putting in condition then they'll honor it.
  • Options
    corvette said:

@au1994 - don’t try to confuse him with facts and logic. >:)

The logic is sound. But I have to balance that with keeping matrimonial harmony. I'm also a bit worried that my Jeep is more like 6-7 months out given that it hasn't even gone past parts gathering.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

I sold the Land Cruiser to them and they honored the original quote after seeing it. Being a 2008, it wasn’t perfect and as @28firefighter noted as long as you were honest, you’ll be happy. I was in and out in about an hour or so. Mine was a straight out buy with no loan so that made it simple.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

I had a good experience getting a quote..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

corvette said:

The logic is sound. But I have to balance that with keeping matrimonial harmony. I'm also a bit worried that my Jeep is more like 6-7 months out given that it hasn't even gone past parts gathering.
    It's almost Spring... the ZHP is calling!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

corvette said:

About that... >:)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,291
    I'm pretty sure @breld has sold a car or two to CarMax. I don't think he had any issues, but I'll let him weigh in...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

About that... >:)
    Nooo, its not being thinned from the herd as well, its it?

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    28, I like the Passat for the price. Only a few months, and do you really need to drive it much? Tesla is primary so is this just spare wheels if you both need to drive at the same time?

If you want less risk find the cheapest high miles Corolla you can. Won’t Lise on that probably.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    corvette said:

These are most certainly words to live by these days. Good luck.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    We sold daughters Jetta to carmax. No issues. They checked it out and honored the online quote. I assume the accidents were disclosed?

Will be much easier if Toyota dealer will match them. Some do.

• Options
    Also FWIW we sold the Outback to Carmax and they honored the price.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    shopping used cars certainly is ugly these days. Wow.

Also tried seeing what new vehicles are out there that might float her boat. Nothing reasonable (other than the aforementioned mazda). Most Fords leasing horribly. Volvos are leasing as if they are Porsches. I would consider purchasing but it seems like adding a moonroof comes with an automatic $40k pricetag. A different kinda PHEV would be great, but that ain't so hot, neither. Hyundai isn't passing on the Tucson PHEV incentive on a lease? What's up with that? An Escape PHEV hits that $40k mark I mentioned before. They pass along the incentive, but it still winds up a horrible lease.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    edited February 2022

nyccarguy said:

If you were honest in putting in condition then they'll honor it.
    I agree. Carmax made a strong offer on my grandmother's 2013 Escape, and they honored it when we took it in. I tried to describe well in the online tool.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

shopping used cars certainly is ugly these days. Wow.

Also tried seeing what new vehicles are out there that might float her boat. Nothing reasonable (other than the aforementioned mazda). Most Fords leasing horribly. Volvos are leasing as if they are Porsches. I would consider purchasing but it seems like adding a moonroof comes with an automatic $40k pricetag. A different kinda PHEV would be great, but that ain't so hot, neither. Hyundai isn't passing on the Tucson PHEV incentive on a lease? What's up with that? An Escape PHEV hits that $40k mark I mentioned before. They pass along the incentive, but it still winds up a horrible lease.

That’s what you get for selling all your cars!

Just keep the T. rex and let her drive that.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

corvette said:

Even my S4 gave me 11 months of uninterrupted use.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    stickguy said:

That’s what you get for selling all your cars!

Just keep the T. rex and let her drive that.

She'll just have to suck it up and suffer driving a brand new Wrangler.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

Been on vacation for a few days.

Did I miss what the final numbers were on the TRX @qbrozen?

no. I'm awaiting paperwork being delivered today.
    So I have a check in hand for $40.5k. I had paid $29.9k total OOP. Even though the broker who sold it for me said I didn't have to pay his fee, I'm doing so anyway, so that's $450. Leaves me with just north of $10.1k.
    Wow…

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

Been on vacation for a few days.

Did I miss what the final numbers were on the TRX @qbrozen?

no. I'm awaiting paperwork being delivered today.
    So I have a check in hand for $40.5k. I had paid $29.9k total OOP. Even though the broker who sold it for me said I didn't have to pay his fee, I'm doing so anyway, so that's $450. Leaves me with just north of $10.1k.
    That beats the VW diesel buyback. I came out ahead a little over $7k on that, and I don't remember anyone doing much better than that. I believe you now hold the record.

Long live the King! :)
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    impressive.

this market is just so weird.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926

@qbrozen said:

Amazing

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434

@qbrozen said:

I didn’t realize you went through a broker for the TRX.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

I didn’t realize you went through a broker for the TRX.

The broker I got my first 4xe through reached out to me and said he had an interested party. It was easier than me chasing down leads. I maybe could have held out and clawed another $1k-$2k, but bird in the hand and all.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Yes I was honest when I filled out the online information. Disclosed the accident and the cost of repair.

Picked up the Highlander tonight. No drama. F&I guy tried to sell $995 GAP insurance, a $1,200 maintenance package, & a $2,600 Toyota Platinum Warranty. I respectfully declined.

It’s been 2 years, 5 months, & 1 week since my last punch. Pics or the punch didn’t happen, right?

My name is Bradd. I am a Chronic Car Buyer.

Nice color.

black or tan guts?

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    nyccarguy said:

Yes I was honest when I filled out the online information. Disclosed the accident and the cost of repair.

Picked up the Highlander tonight. No drama. F&I guy tried to sell $995 GAP insurance, a $1,200 maintenance package, & a $2,600 Toyota Platinum Warranty. I respectfully declined.

It’s been 2 years, 5 months, & 1 week since my last punch. Pics or the punch didn’t happen, right?

So this is replacing which vehicle?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    henryn said:

That beats the VW diesel buyback. I came out ahead a little over $7k on that, and I don't remember anyone doing much better than that. I believe you now hold the record.

Long live the King! :)

Not to poo-poo or anything, but, IIRC, I was somewhere north of $12k on my VW. So I was already the king. :D

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563

corvette said:

These are most certainly words to live by these days. Good luck.
    I don’t think he’s confused and even if he was he’d never notice it since his pants are on fire. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Apparently the FordPass app allows you to schedule remote starts. That will save me from having to pull out my phone and remote start the car while in the middle of walking my dog on cold winter mornings (as I do now).
  • Options
    Bradd, nice looking vehicle. Like the color.

did the Toyota dealer take the tacoma or did the carmax deal go through?

But good luck with it!

• Options
    andres3 said:

nyccarguy said:

So this is replacing which vehicle?
    replaces the Tacoma for now. Once the mythical 4Xe arrives, that will replace the Pilot.

Complicated plans are the way we roll around here!

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671

I've been convinced that I need to get out of the sandbox of cheap cars.

The big thing is that I need to pay sales tax on whatever I get - which is 10.6% where I live.

10.6%? Yikes!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    corvette said:

Apparently the FordPass app allows you to schedule remote starts. That will save me from having to pull out my phone and remote start the car while in the middle of walking my dog on cold winter mornings (as I do now).

Now that’s what I call getting lazy. What’s next, a reminder to go to the boys room before going to work? C’mon man we’ve been given gray matter and if we don’t use it, it turns a stagnant useless black. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguy said:

impressive.

this market is just so weird.

We’ve been delivering a few old generation Dodge minivans to dealers with around 60k miles and you would think they were getting gifts from Santa, they were so excited and grateful. I’ve never seen a dealer so excited to get a used rental car. They are desperate.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

Nice color.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

Or colour for our French Canadian poster buddies :)

• Options

@28firefighter said:
    I signed the paperwork on the Jeep to sell to Driveway. I’ll get a check for $12k.

What’s the net?

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    edited February 2022

We’ve been delivering a few old generation Dodge minivans...

Those are also on the short list for a temporary beater if I don't have a Maverick by August (or know it will come very soon) and decide to wait for it... I'm not paying $20k for one, though.
  • Options

Congrats @nyccarguy ! Great looking car.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926

Love the color NYC. Can’t go wrong with the Highlander. A buddy of mine had four or five of them in a row. Loved every one of them.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Congrats @nyccarguy.