Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAMember Posts: 8,644
    You mean to tell me that none of the words above make it onto the flag list for the forum software? I love this place!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2008 Infiniti G35
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 31,030
    tifighter said:

I'm talking Monteros, not the Sport. 3rd gen Monteros.

Oh heck! You just opened my eyes. I had no idea they were different. The Sport is smaller. That explains a lot, and changes things since the Pajero is not the smaller Sport.

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

• tifightertifighter WAMember Posts: 3,141
    qbrozen said:

tifighter said:

I'm talking Monteros, not the Sport. 3rd gen Monteros.

Oh heck! You just opened my eyes. I had no idea they were different. The Sport is smaller. That explains a lot, and changes things since the Pajero is not the smaller Sport.
    From a post on ExPo-

21 Tesla 3 Perf / 21 Tesla Y LR / 11 BMW Z4 6MT / 03 Montero Ltd

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 2,451

All quiet on the VW Beetle and Fiat 500 front??

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,667
    mjfloyd1 said:

All quiet on the VW Beetle and Fiat 500 front??

————————————————-
    Please, weren’t you taught to leave sleeping dogs and posters with fantasies lie?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 20,124
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

Dangit. This Mitsu I think may make more sense than a Pajero. Just as an example, a '96 with 100k miles sold at auction last night for 500k yen. With shipping and fees, I'd wind up into it for about $7k before any unforeseen reconditioning and repairs. Granted, that would be a diesel. But also RHD.

That seller has another with lower miles and larger engine. I'd really prefer to avoid leather. And, honestly, I don't know much about either engine, but seems to me the 3.0 was fairly reliable. I didn't even know a 3.5 existed.

Those are all variants of the 6G7 Cyclone engine. The 3.0 is the 6G72 and the 3.5 is the 6G74. I had the 6G75 3.8 version in my Eclipse. Very torquey motors especially with VVT. Butterly smooth

The biggest problem I heard about them is valve seals that leaked.
    ————————————————

You’re not being totally honest when you said, “The biggest problem I heard about them (Mitsubishi engines) is valve seals that leaked”. Then again at your age maybe you have forgotten about my ‘05 Hyundai XG350 that blew an engine in 2012 with just under 43K miles. That car had the Mitsubishi V6 3.5 6G74 engine.

Until the engine blew up it was a good engine with no hint whatsoever of ANY problems. Nice power, smooth, silent, not an oil burner, no oil leaks. Pretty much everything you’d want in an engine for a family sedan. Very surprising how it happened too. Mrs. j was decelerating coming to a light from a speed of 35 MPH when BAM a loud noise. However, the engine kept running allowing her to pull into a gas station right at that light.

Yes, this is the engine that Hyundai bounced the warranty claim on because the dealer said there was a discrepancy with my oil change log. They stood fast about not honoring the 100K mile engine warranty even when I pointed out how they incorrectly showed the wrong mileage on a work order when they did a warranty claim, for a seat belt light that stayed on, about 3K miles before they did the last oil change on it within a month of the engine blowing.

I’ll bet you remember that now. :#:#

jmonroe
    That must have been a batch of throwaway engines that Hyundai got cheap since they had no intention of honoring the warranty anyway. >:)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 31,030
    I've casually looked at this stuff before, but I'm starting a deeper dive into becoming a licensed dealer. NJ is such a pain in the butt. I really hate this whole thing about having physical office and showroom space with proper signage, etc. Not just NJ, but that's what I'm working with, of course. Just a cursory look and I think I found a space not far from home for under $600/mo that could work. BUT, I might want to get a small warehouse space to keep cars inside. Just a thought.

I also paid a whopping $27 for a book and video series to educate myself better on all of it. It is actually A LOT of content for the money.

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

• andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 13,146
    henryn said:

DVD-Audio was considered extinct by 2007 (according to Wikipedia). A quick search on Ebay and Amazon shows that some are still available, but they are not priced like collector's items, more like coasters.

sda said:

Tire sensor replaced, tires rotated, $75. That is half of what the Honda dealer quoted, $140 plus tax. Todays glamor picture, it still drives great.

Boy....I have a bunch of DVD-Audio Disks that sound glorious in that version of the TL. Don't know if they're collectors items or coasters at this point.
    Sounds like coasters it is. Will you take $1/coaster?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • corvettecorvette United StatesMember Posts: 9,147
    @qbrozen KY is similar... 2,000 square foot parking lot, 100+ square foot office, business name, signage, posted opening hours, etc... It would probably be easier if you had a friend with a dealership license who would take you on as a "salesperson" in exchange for a vig.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWMember Posts: 3,323
    qbrozen said:

I've casually looked at this stuff before, but I'm starting a deeper dive into becoming a licensed dealer. NJ is such a pain in the butt. I really hate this whole thing about having physical office and showroom space with proper signage, etc. Not just NJ, but that's what I'm working with, of course. Just a cursory look and I think I found a space not far from home for under $600/mo that could work. BUT, I might want to get a small warehouse space to keep cars inside. Just a thought.

I also paid a whopping $27 for a book and video series to educate myself better on all of it. It is actually A LOT of content for the money.

How about an over sized raincoat you can open to show perspective customers your merchandize?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,844

sda said:

Tire sensor replaced, tires rotated, $75. That is half of what the Honda dealer quoted, $140 plus tax. Todays glamor picture, it still drives great.

Boy....I have a bunch of DVD-Audio Disks that sound glorious in that version of the TL. Don't know if they're collectors items or coasters at this point.
    Bring them to Casa RB; my Sony X800M2 can play them- along with most every other CD or DVD format.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

👳🏿‍♂️
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

@qbrozen KY is similar... 2,000 square foot parking lot, 100+ square foot office, business name, signage, posted opening hours, etc... It would probably be easier if you had a friend with a dealership license who would take you on as a "salesperson" in exchange for a vig.

I have no friends
    ————————————————

Ahhhhh. If you get access to that auction site again or you get into the biz like you’re trying to do now, I predict you’ll be swimming with friends. B)

jmonroe

sda said:

Bring them to Casa RB; my Sony X800M2 can play them- along with most every other CD or DVD format.
    ————————————————
    @graphicguy, did you notice he didn’t say a word about refreshments. Maybe he expects you to bring those for the service he’s going to provide. :o

jmonroe
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 17,476
    My home CD player crapped out a while back so I replaced it with a spare DVD player.
    It plays CD's just fine, so I assume music DVD's would work as well.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 13,760

@explorerx4 said:
    My home CD player crapped out a while back so I replaced it with a spare DVD player.

It will play them but not the way they were intended to play. The players made for audio had a six channel discreet output for the surround mix.

I still have my DVD-A player, a Yamaha. It serves as a CD player in my theater. Hardly ever gets used. I do still have a handful of DVD-A discs but haven’t played one in years.

2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

tjc78 said:

@explorerx4 said:

It will play them but not the way they were intended to play. The players made for audio had a six channel discreet output for the surround mix.

I still have my DVD-A player, a Yamaha. It serves as a CD player in my theater. Hardly ever gets used. I do still have a handful of DVD-A discs but haven’t played one in years.

That's why I always liked Oppo disc players, they always play everything on a disc pretty much; whereas your average cheap DVD player can't play DVD Audio discs.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@qbrozen said:
    I have no friends

We are both your friends and your enablers, little buddy 🤣👍

edited May 25
    @qb,
    Carole is your friend.
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————-
    Please, weren’t you taught to leave sleeping dogs and posters with fantasies lie?

jmonroe

My wife tells me that I am not good at following instructions.

I was really asking for a friend…🤣😂

mjfloyd1 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————-

jmonroe

My wife tells me that I am not good at following instructions.

I was really asking for a friend…🤣😂

————————————————-
    Oh, one of those kinda guys. We know it couldn’t have been @qbrozen since he has no friends. :'(

jmonroe
    Another dedication for @qbrozen

I don't see anything out there tempting me right now. As long as this S4 runs; there's no reason to jump ship. Other than the PCV's this car is actually continuing to get good reviews for reliability up to about 150,000 miles.
    edited May 25
    andres3 said:

I don't see anything out there tempting me right now. As long as this S4 runs; there's no reason to jump ship. Other than the PCV's this car is actually continuing to get good reviews for reliability up to about 150,000 miles.

Well, not this particular car…😇. Hopefully your HPFP won’t act up again and wreak havoc
    edited May 25
    tjc78 said:

My CD player was my only dalliance with "High End" audio- a Rotel RCD-855 player with Audioquest Sorbothane feet and Discrete Technology interconnects. And it's plugged into a hospital grade outlet.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 25
    Rotel.. don't they make pasta?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Coral Springs, FLMember Posts: 6,263
    OF, drove a newish 2022 Kia Sorento at work today and was amazed at how well it was appointed inside plus the way it drove. Was a base model in black over black cloth but was a nice combo in the sunlight. Peppy engine and it seemed to sip the petrol on my 30 mile drive from West Palm to western Coral Springs. Seats were comfy and the cloth was grippy, excellent egress/ingress. Ergonomics were spot on with everything right where it should be and the audio was decent sounding. If in the market for a mid-sized CUV, would definitely have one of these on the short list.
    Earlier in the day, drove a newer Ford Ecosport, Titanium edition which should be top of the line. Had the better audio system, a B&O unit I think, but have no idea what that stands for. The size was dead on perfect for my needs and egress/ingress wasn't bad at all. A bit anemic when I hit the gas pedal but one just would need to plan early to merge into traffic. Looked up the mileage figures and a bit dismal for it's size to be honest. And it's a Ford...something I'd never even consider buying. But for the rental market...why not.

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2)

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 206,288
    corvette said:

No. Green chilies with tomatoes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited May 25
    Michaell said:

corvette said:

Ahh, so, a motor oil Velveeta cheese additive, then?
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 206,288
    corvette said:

Michaell said:

corvette said:

Yup!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@roadburner said:
    My CD player was my only dalliance with "High End" audio- a Rotel RCD-855 player with Audioquest Sorbothane feet and Discrete Technology interconnects. And it's plugged into a hospital grade outlet.

That’s a nice piece. Rotel is still making making high end stuff, but I haven’t heard any of their newer offerings.

@Sandman6472 said:
    OF, drove a newish 2022 Kia Sorento at work today and was amazed at how well it was appointed inside plus the way it drove. Was a base model in black over black cloth but was a nice combo in the sunlight. Peppy engine and it seemed to sip the petrol on my 30 mile drive from West Palm to western Coral Springs. Seats were comfy and the cloth was grippy, excellent egress/ingress. Ergonomics were spot on with everything right where it should be and the audio was decent sounding. If in the market for a mid-sized CUV, would definitely have one of these on the short list.
    Earlier in the day, drove a newer Ford Ecosport, Titanium edition which should be top of the line. Had the better audio system, a B&O unit I think, but have no idea what that stands for. The size was dead on perfect for my needs and egress/ingress wasn't bad at all. A bit anemic when I hit the gas pedal but one just would need to plan early to merge into traffic. Looked up the mileage figures and a bit dismal for it's size to be honest. And it's a Ford...something I'd never even consider buying. But for the rental market...why not.

B&O is Bang & Olufsen a Danish audio company.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaMember Posts: 16,988
    edited May 26
    corvette said:

They have pivoted away from that business with the decline of high-end audio pasta.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,814
    corvette said:

Michaell said:

corvette said:

One of the great guilty pleasures in life!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha
    2011 BMW 328i Jet Black over Tan

I know there are still a lot of Lincoln fans around, especially for the Town Car models from the '80s onward. I discovered This Interesting Article about proposed Lincolns that never made production, some of them older models, but several from the '70s, '80s and '90s. Fomoco dodged a few bullets I think.

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusMember Posts: 13,452
    I used my OPPO 205 for years to play my DVD-As, SACDs, DVDs and Blu Rays. Tempted to sell it, given they are going for crazy money on fleaBay. But, as long as I can play my disks in my home theater (I do, because of my large Blu Ray collection), I’ll probably hold on to them.

I’ve got some good ones, too.

-DOSD by Pink Floyd in multi-channel
    -King Crimson-Court of the Crimson King
    -Emerson, Lake and Palmer-Trilogy
    -Elton John-Tumbleweed Connection

And others…..

At one point, they were playable in the Acura TL’s sound system, and sounded wonderful.

Alas, Acura quite supporting the format a while ago.

But, my disks live on.
    2022 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCMember Posts: 5,732
    The proposed 76 Mark front end reminds me a bit of the 69-70 Grand Prix.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusMember Posts: 13,452
    No surprise here, but in Korea, it’s being reported that the Hyundai Sonata, the Kia K5 and Stinger are to be no longer. Production stops this summer.

Too bad….when I had my Stinger, that was large fun. And, I bought it well, when they couldn’t give them away. Sad to hear they are going away.
    2022 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited May 26

@ab348 said:
    I know there are still a lot of Lincoln fans around, especially for the Town Car models from the '80s onward. I discovered This Interesting Article about proposed Lincolns that never made production, some of them older models, but several from the '70s, '80s and '90s. Fomoco dodged a few bullets I think.

Good read and certainly some questionable choices there.

Could you have imagined if they didn’t release the 90
    Town Car on the Panther? Lincoln would have been long gone. That was a Motor Trend Car of the year and sold incredibly well. I always felt it was a shame the 90 carried over the 5.0 because the 4.6 wasn’t ready.

I think this design could have made a nice Continental for the times.

• au1994au1994 GAMember Posts: 2,814

No surprise here, but in Korea, it’s being reported that the Hyundai Sonata, the Kia K5 and Stinger are to be no longer. Production stops this summer.

Too bad….when I had my Stinger, that was large fun. And, I bought it well, when they couldn’t give them away. Sad to hear they are going away.

I’m very surprised at the Sonata, I thought they sold relatively well. Not surprised on the Stinger, unfortunately. A great car with the wrong badge.

Before long it will just be the Camcord left in sedanland. I really hate the loss of the Passat and 6. Those were 2 good ones.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha
    2011 BMW 328i Jet Black over Tan

tjc78 said:

Could you have imagined if they didn’t release the 90

Town Car on the Panther? Lincoln would have been long gone. That was a Motor Trend Car of the year and sold incredibly well. I always felt it was a shame the 90 carried over the 5.0 because the 4.6 wasn’t ready.

I think this design could have made a nice Continental for the times.

I'm not certain the stated date of 1990 for that one is correct given that the photo has a date of 1982, so it likely for a mid-80s intro based on the yet-to-be released Taurus platform. But FWD/V-6 was what GM went to and as the piece says, that drove hordes to the Panther-based RWD Lincolns. It is a nice design though and probably could have done well as an addition to the Lincoln lineup in the '80s. I would guess the design is from the early days of the Telnack era at Ford styling.

The "197x" Continental shown in the piece was pure Gene Bordinat though. It seems like he took the upcoming '79 Grand Marquis design and had hidden headlights and assorted gingerbread tacked on to make it a Lincoln. I can't imagine that would have done too well. It would have made a nicer Grand Marquis, though.

ab348 said:

corvette said:

They have pivoted away from that business with the decline of high-end audio pasta.

————————————————-
    This new world is great.

I’ve learned more Spanish reading labels today than I did when I was in high school. Where was this new world when it could have help me pass Spanish the first time I took it? :#

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

This new world is great.

I’ve learned more Spanish reading labels today than I did when I was in high school. Where was this new world when it could have help me pass Spanish the first time I took it? :#

jmonroe

I hate to tell you this, JM, but that label wouldn't have helped your Spanish very much. The second language on it is French. :D

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

This new world is great.

jmonroe

I hate to tell you this, JM, but that label wouldn't have helped your Spanish very much. The second language on it is French. :D
    ————————————————
    That is probably my problem. I never learned enough Spanish early on to pass it, thereby giving me time to take French. :'(

jmonroe
    mjfloyd1 said:

andres3 said:

Well, not this particular car…😇. Hopefully your HPFP won’t act up again and wreak havoc
    Well, I'll let you know in about 145,000 miles how that's going. By then, the transmission would have about 190,000 miles.

@graphicguy said:
    I used my OPPO 205 for years to play my DVD-As, SACDs, DVDs and Blu Rays. Tempted to sell it, given they are going for crazy money on fleaBay. But, as long as I can play my disks in my home theater (I do, because of my large Blu Ray collection), I’ll probably hold on to them.

I’ve got some good ones, too.

-DOSD by Pink Floyd in multi-channel
    -King Crimson-Court of the Crimson King
    -Emerson, Lake and Palmer-Trilogy
    -Elton John-Tumbleweed Connection

And others…..

At one point, they were playable in the Acura TL’s sound system, and sounded wonderful.

Alas, Acura quite supporting the format a while ago.

But, my disks live on.

I have ELP’s remastered “Pictures at an Exhibition “ and it sounds amazing.

@graphicguy said:

I figured the Stinger was not long for this world, sadly. You can’t sell a car aimed at the entry-level Euro market in a Kia showroom- never mind the absolutely horrible quality of service. I dodged a bullet by passing on a GTS.

@sda said:
    The proposed 76 Mark front end reminds me a bit of the 69-70 Grand Prix.

Exactly!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,941
    Sonata and Passat became somewhat redundant as the Jetta and Elantra kept growing. Civic too, basically an accord with less rear legroom.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

The 58 Lincoln passed a lot of styling on to the 61.
    The 1988 Conti looks like a 4 door AMC Pacer or maybe inspiration for the Panamera. :o
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT