Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    qbrozen said:

Haha! That roof line is insane! You have a literal wall of luggage there, and still a few feet to the roof. /jealous
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Michaell said:

Love that green color.

Enjoy your time with it.

Agreed! I still love that green!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

The average car even 20 yrs ago didn’t have anywhere near the engineering and standard features of today.

Nor did it have a heated seats subscription. :D

Hahah. All true, but it these are still what's being offered in the day. Sure, content is way different generationally, but does that really mean that the cost of the car should be proportionally different for the era in which it is offered as new?
    @qbrozen. So.... after catching up on all the other posts, I rescind my jealousy. Sure, you have a lot of space, but I'm not sure that it's worth it with that fuel economy. Perhaps a little of that is the van being new, and perhaps somewhat just adjusted driving/expectations. However, I don't see a JGW being too far removed (and perhaps even slightly better) from that 13.5 number. Given the price of diesel being at least 30% higher in this region than gasoline right now, well, unless you're getting at least 30% more benefit (in some way, even if not FE), I can't see the Sprinter being the best fit for you.

Next step? Full "Van Life" conversion. GO! :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

@xwesx said:
    Hahah. All true, but it these are still what's being offered in the day. Sure, content is way different generationally, but does that really mean that the cost of the car should be proportionally different for the era in which it is offered as new?

Yes, I think it does. Airbags, antilock brakes, fuel saving tech, entertainment systems, all the sensors and miles of wiring have to add cost, and they aren’t optional.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    xwesx said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

The average car even 20 yrs ago didn’t have anywhere near the engineering and standard features of today.

It really puts things like the $1995 1970 Maverick into perspective. Sure, it was a cheaply built basic penalty box of a car, but it still was a new car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983

@xwesx said:
    Sorry for the late responses; I haven't checked in since mid-last week.

Your comments got me to thinking about my time at The Henry Ford Museum over the weekend. Amazing place, by the way. I fully recommend for anyone in the area. However, plan on taking some time there! It's definitely a full day (if not more), and the prices are a bit eye watering, so it is certainly worth it to get your money's worth.

Anyhow, most of their informational signs near vehicles and trailers would state the original price, translate that to "today", and also note how many months, at the average wage, the car would cost you to buy. I would say that 7.5 to 8.5 months was pretty standard for most things. I was thinking, "Yeah, that sound about right." Of course, the high end stuff, such as the Bugatti (33 years) might be slightly higher than average.

That got me to thinking about how that really compares to today. According to the stats, the average US income currently is $53,560. Average new car price in July, based on transactions, is $48,182. Nearly 11 months. History says prices are pretty high right now!

If you are still in the area the Packard proving grounds/museum is worthwhile.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428

@ab348 said:
    It really puts things like the $1995 1970 Maverick into perspective. Sure, it was a cheaply built basic penalty box of a car, but it still was a new car.

My friend was trying to explain this to his sister-in-law. She's had 2 "cheap-ish" leases in a row. An Infiniti Q50 2.0T (I know, I know) and now an older body style Grand Cherokee. The lease is up on the Grand Cherokee and "she doesn't want her payment to go up." He suggested she look into buying a Corolla Hybrid or a Prius with a 72 month loan. She was mad because he suggested "those types" of cars. He continued to explain to her that these aren't economy cars of "yesterday" and that they have many standard features that were optional on Luxury cars just 10 years ago. To which she said: "So there is no way I can get another Grand Cherokee for what I'm paying now?"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

@nyccarguy said:

@ab348 said:

My friend was trying to explain this to his sister-in-law. She's had 2 "cheap-ish" leases in a row. An Infiniti Q50 2.0T (I know, I know) and now an older body style Grand Cherokee. The lease is up on the Grand Cherokee and "she doesn't want her payment to go up." He suggested she look into buying a Corolla Hybrid or a Prius with a 72 month loan. She was mad because he suggested "those types" of cars. He continued to explain to her that these aren't economy cars of "yesterday" and that they have many standard features that were optional on Luxury cars just 10 years ago. To which she said: "So there is no way I can get another Grand Cherokee for what I'm paying now?"

The answer is “yes.” It just won’t be new.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    edited August 2022
    ab348 said:

xwesx said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

In 1974 our Charger cost $3995 plus tax. In 1975 I got my first professional job making about $9800 a year so the car cost less than half my annual salary. I seem to remember at the time that a new car cost about 6 month salary.

It would seem that cars are more expensive now but you have to remember most of them are more expensive SUVs. Half that quoted average salary is about $28k. I think you could still get a low optioned sedan for that amount..

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Congrats, Tom!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    tjc78 said:

Well after all the craziness it’s here and we can officially count the punch.

They told me no way it would be here before Wednesday so I told them to deliver it to my shore house. Low and behold I get a call that they want to deliver today. Of course I’m not there. Spoke to the driver and they were more than happy to deliver to my home address since their other delivery was 10 minutes away. I lucked out for once.

Pics or of course it didn’t happen.

Very nice. I like the seats. Is that the mild hybrid?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    @tjc78 Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @tjc78 - all's well that ends well. What a great looking truck and nice deal! Congrats!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    @tjc78, I think you're really going to like that truck, it looks great!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,920

Thanks all.

@oldfarmer50
    Yes it is the mild hybrid.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870

Looks sharp @tjc78 , enjoy!!!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    Your saga got me looking at new and used Ram pickups.

I did a quick solo trip to the Lexus dealer today. The have a 2019 XC40 - denim blue over blonde - with 16,000 miles for $39,000.

Nice little rig.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Nice rig @tjc78 ! Congrats! Enjoy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559

@tjc78 said:
    Well after all the craziness it’s here and we can officially count the punch.

They told me no way it would be here before Wednesday so I told them to deliver it to my shore house. Low and behold I get a call that they want to deliver today. Of course I’m not there. Spoke to the driver and they were more than happy to deliver to my home address since their other delivery was 10 minutes away. I lucked out for once.

Pics or of course it didn’t happen.

———————————————
    Oh gee, it really is black over black. I was hoping they’d screw that up for you.

Good luck with it and give us reports. You don’t have to tell us it holds beach sand very well since we already know that.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    @tjc78 - nice rig! The Tundra definitely does not drive smaller than it is, which is one of the reasons I'm not interested in buying it out at the end of the lease.

@Michaell - that kind of looks like an old-school design Lexus dealership (early 1990s to early 2000s), but with some modern touches like the second floor above the service bay. Nice looking XC40, though!

WRX in dark grey hides that awful cladding better than the WR Blue and the White. Saw this one by work today. Yes folks that’s my 2006 Mitsubishi Fuso FE180 and my store in the background.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    @nyccarguy - judging from his initial impressions, you and @qbrozen might be able to rig up a comparison test of MPGs and ride quality pitting the Mitsubishi Fuso against the MB Sprinter.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    nyccarguy said:

WRX in dark grey hides that awful cladding better than the WR Blue and the White. Saw this one by work today. Yes folks that’s my 2006 Mitsubishi Fuso FE180 and my store in the background.

Is that one of your company trucks LCS directly across the street?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356

Not explicitly car related, but tangentially related because it has to do with objects on wheels.

My son has been struggling with overcoming his fear of swimming alone and riding his bike unassisted. He is fully capable, it was just psychological. This weekend he went from being unwilling to so much as leave the steps unassisted to jumping in the water, pushing off, and swimming across the pool by himself. Today, he went to bike camp being unwilling to so much as get on his bike and came home riding independently and getting moved up to the road readiness class.

I'm so proud of him for pushing through - it took him a bit longer, but he did it all on his own.

Good for your son; my son had similar issues- I called him a digital learner; one minute he was absolutely hopeless and the next minute he was swimming or bike riding like he'd been doing it for decades...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@sda said:
    Is that one of your company trucks LCS directly across the street?

Yes. I actually ran across the street to snap a pic of the WRX. The LCS truck is my company’s truck. Levin’s Crosstown Supply Corporation.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,543
    Sharp looking beast of a truck. You getting that thing in the garage?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Michael, I like the XC40. So does the wife. we looked at them at one point before getting the RDX (and bumped up to an XC60 thinking we needed the extra space). Starting to work on the wife to downsize to something smaller than the RDX to give me a fighting chance of cramming both cars in the garage.

or I get the Miata which I know I can tuck into the side corner, and just give up on putting 2 big cars in there!

Serves me right getting distracted by the cool features and not measuring the garage and focusing on how the step ate into the room. I can tetris it to get the cars in, but it may only leave a 6" gap to get around the RDX to the step. which is going to be a problem.

my wife thinks I am joking when I said we might be listing this place again within 6 months. At least, I think she thinks that! Though I did mention the downsize idea as a way to make room. something 1-2 feet shorter. I assume she will be perfectly happy with a Mini or some other muchkin car. side benefit, better gas mileage. Though given how little she seems to actually drive up here, it really may not matter.

OK, pretend I am Sandy and give me options. I want something smaller. Say in the 170" range +/- a couple. Needs to be 4 doors. Not sit too low. Some sort of hatch/CUV. Skinnier the better! AWD desirable since I now live in snow country and relative boonies. Need to have a full load of goodies (the safety stuff plus power seats, heated everything possible, moonroof, etc.)

does not have to be a hot rod, but reasonably entertaining to drive on a twisty road. good MPG (hybrid would be great, but I doubt I will find a plug in).

Hmm, I think I just described a Sube crosstrek. Need to go find dimensions! But hit me with other options. Not sure I want to do a Mini, but I know the wife liked it when I test drove one.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

I think you meant to link to a Kona N.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    nope. You don't know my wife if you think she would be interested in one of those. and this plan involves "her" car. Though I don't think she has actually driven since the day we drove up here to move in (8/4). so 3 weeks tomorrow. But still need something that she does not mind driving (and can figure out!)

@stickguy said:
    OK, pretend I am Sandy and give me options. I want something smaller. Say in the 170" range +/- a couple. Needs to be 4 doors. Not sit too low. Some sort of hatch/CUV. Skinnier the better! AWD desirable since I now live in snow country and relative boonies. Need to have a full load of goodies (the safety stuff plus power seats, heated everything possible, moonroof, etc.)

does not have to be a hot rod, but reasonably entertaining to drive on a twisty road. good MPG (hybrid would be great, but I doubt I will find a plug in).

Hmm, I think I just described a Sube crosstrek. Need to go find dimensions! But hit me with other options. Not sure I want to do a Mini, but I know the wife liked it when I test drove one.

————————————————
    Why not go with the option of turning the steps sideways to run along the side wall not protruding out from it? That would give you about 10 inches more of garage floor space, maybe a little more. That’s not a lot but it might be just enough space savings to keep you from moving again.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    corvette said:

@Michaell - that kind of looks like an old-school design Lexus dealership (early 1990s to early 2000s), but with some modern touches like the second floor above the service bay. Nice looking XC40, though!

Went back to the dealer after my sister got off work. Naturally, this went to the top of the list.

Now to get her husband on board. Uphill battle, me thinks.

This is my whip for the week:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

@breld said:
    I mentioned a used M240i convertible a while back in mineral gray with oyster leather.

I was mistaken on the interior - it’s cognac. They finally posted pics…that’s a beautiful car.

Nice car. Tall price.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

@stickguy said:
    Sharp looking beast of a truck. You getting that thing in the garage?

Height should be ok. Length is a problem until I kill my workbench (which I rarely use). Wife will have to switch sides and I’ll need a definitive marker to stop because otherwise she will always be too close to the steps.

I don’t think it’s fitting height wise at the shore. I’ll know today.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,317
    @yjc78,
    Glad you finally got your truck. Looks very good.
    I'll curious to see what kind of mileage you get.
    eTorque is rated at a couple of MPG EPA combined more than the regular Hemi.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

————————————————
    Why not go with the option of turning the steps sideways to run along the side wall not protruding out from it? That would give you about 10 inches more of garage floor space, maybe a little more. That’s not a lot but it might be just enough space savings to keep you from moving again.

jmonroe

I thought about that. Might work. I’d have to take down a wall cabinet but that could be moved. Not sure there will be enough foot space to do it. So back to the tape measure. Would definitely make getting big items in harder!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    jmonroe1 said:

I was thinking of something similar, or to recess the offending step somehow. A lot cheaper to change some wood and drywall than to swap houses again.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    kyfdx said:

@tjc78 Congrats!

+1

Nice truck!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @breld…..ooooohhhh. I like that color combo, and it’s a very nice car.

PUlling the trigger (fingers crossed)?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

@stickguy said:

@jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe

I thought about that. Might work. I’d have to take down a wall cabinet but that could be moved. Not sure there will be enough foot space to do it. So back to the tape measure. Would definitely make getting big items in harder!

————————————————
    Well, you can’t have everything unless you custom build a house and even then there are a few things you’ll forget. Put the railing on a hinge for the big stuff.

jmonroe

edited August 2022

@explorerx4 said:
    @yjc78,
    Glad you finally got your truck. Looks very good.
    I'll curious to see what kind of mileage you get.
    eTorque is rated at a couple of MPG EPA combined more than the regular Hemi.

I’ll report it. To be honest I’m 100% sure it will be dismal. I think it is reading 12.3 at the moment. There may be a few full throttle pulls in that number B)

Speaking of fuel economy. I have to say the XC90 is pretty thrifty. We are averaging 21.3, which for a 300HP+ heavy vehicle is impressive. Our Enclave with the same driving style/mix barely cracked 17.

JM since your the builder, how wide does a landing step need to be? The steps stick out about 22” from the wall. So I figure a landing would need to be at least 18”? Gain a few inches which would help but bigger benefit would be Not walking right into the car at the bottom. And being able to park closer to it.

Probably not worth the effort but something g to think about.

No options to move them short of major reframing to shorten a hallway and relocate the door back. And probably rework ceiling and joists in the basement.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    tifighter said:

@breld said:

I mentioned a used M240i convertible a while back in mineral gray with oyster leather.

I was mistaken on the interior - it’s cognac. They finally posted pics…that’s a beautiful car.

Nice car. Tall price.

100% agreed. Same dealer had a 2021 M2C in a manual with super low miles. Listed for $73k. The listing is gone. They also have a 2018 M2 with like 16k miles and are asking $56k.

I'll be keeping an eye on the 'vert listing to see if it gets adjusted as we enter the Fall season.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y