Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    I finally hit 72K last Friday in the Golf and the A3 is at 73.5K. I've been averaging around 2500 to 3000 miles the last few years due to working so close to my office. My wife works from home most of the time and works part time for an a CPA in Ft. Lauderdale 8 days a month, which is why she now drives more miles than I do. After last weeks issues, the Golf is finally behaving but the Audi has a small oil leak every few days, eventually, it'll be dealt with.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550
    I got to tour this collection a couple of years ago (it's private, my BIL is friends with the guy who owned it all). Just auctioned it off last weekend. had a D type Jag go for over 7.2 million. I was in up to 7.1 so just missed!

some amazing stuff in there. First link shows the collection in place. 2nd is sale results.

https://www.collectorcarguide.net/event/no-reserve-jim-taylor-passion-for-the-drive-auction/

https://www.broadarrowauctions.com/vehicles/results?q[s][0][name_dir]=stock.asc

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,562
    stickguy said:

I got to tour this collection a couple of years ago (it's private, my BIL is friends with the guy who owned it all). Just auctioned it off last weekend. had a D type Jag go for over 7.2 million. I was in up to 7.1 so just missed!

some amazing stuff in there. First link shows the collection in place. 2nd is sale results.

https://www.collectorcarguide.net/event/no-reserve-jim-taylor-passion-for-the-drive-auction/

https://www.broadarrowauctions.com/vehicles/results?q[s][0][name_dir]=stock.asc

————————————————-
    You valued it more than I did. I bailed at 6.9M.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,669
    stickguy said:

hit a mileage milestone this weekend. at 9.5 months old, the Maverick rolled over 5,000 miles. most of it running back and forth to NY from NJ when moving. Going on slower now, mostly running around on weekends, sharing that duty with the Acura.

Speaking of that car, it clicked over 17.000 miles this weekend. 2 years, 7 months old.

interestingly they are averaging almost exactly (6,300-6,400) annual miles so far. Obviously we don't drive that much (and for 15 months the Acura was an only car). and now with fewer road trips might not break 10K between them.

I doubt I total 10k miles between all four of my vehicles. The convertible just went into the barn for winter after only about 1200 miles this year. The Mustang goes to sleep at first snow. The rest will do winter duty which is basically going to work and the supermarket.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    All of the TG nominations have some design to them. The Z, not so much.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    edited October 2022
    A lot of miles this year. The Q7 has 141,000 now, and the Crosstrek has just 71,000 (we bought it Jan 2021 with 37,000).

As an aside, I drove through the Spokane, Washington, area on my way down back in August, and some crazy coot in an old baby blue Mercedes tried to run me off the road!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

The RDX continues to rack up about 15k a year, give or take. Flipped 100k on September 10, now just over 101k. We’re at 83k with the Jetta, not quite averaging 3k a year since Covid hit, and I’m now driving the majority of those miles as well. However we’re not quite into 1-car territory as her rare times needing the car can’t always be arranged when I don’t also have to be somewhere.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,433
    stickguy said:

hit a mileage milestone this weekend. at 9.5 months old, the Maverick rolled over 5,000 miles. most of it running back and forth to NY from NJ when moving. Going on slower now, mostly running around on weekends, sharing that duty with the Acura.

Speaking of that car, it clicked over 17.000 miles this weekend. 2 years, 7 months old.

interestingly they are averaging almost exactly (6,300-6,400) annual miles so far. Obviously we don't drive that much (and for 15 months the Acura was an only car). and now with fewer road trips might not break 10K between them.

Got our Highlander at the end of February and the Jeep at the end of March. Both vehicles have around 13K miles. Jeep a little over, Highlander a little under.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,153

@stickguy,
    You and your wife WFH? I hope you have them listed as low mileage pleasure vehicles on your insurance.

I think you need at least one vehicle with standard rate, before adding pleasure vehicles. At least on my policy, you do.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    stickguy said:

interestingly they are averaging almost exactly (6,300-6,400) annual miles so far. Obviously, we don't drive that much (and for 15 months the Acura was an only car). and now with fewer road trips might not break 10K between them.

We're on month 22 of the Tacoma lease, almost at 7,200 miles. I need to drive it more. The one kid still at home drives it on occasion, and I will take it when I go out, but all short trips. The oldest has expressed interest in keeping it, so probably a good candidate for buying it out once the lease is up. Time will tell I guess, but still enjoying it.
  • Options

At some point if the maverick moves on, I could see switching to a fun car as more of a daily driver, and an older truck for junk/utility duty. So low miles but hard ones!

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

@sb55 said:
    Not too many miles in that many months. We just got back from a quick high mile trip with our truck and Airstream from VT to Albuquerque, NM back to Troy, NY and then home up to VT. 5225 miles in 25 days. We had reservations since January at the Balloon Fiesta and had planned to stay out west for another couple of weeks exploring some National Parks. But, first grand-baby is on the way and that changed our plans :o
    So, we basically drove the interstates all the way and did a few high mile days to keep on schedule. We saw lots of corn and soy being harvested pretty much from Oklahoma through MO, IL, IN, OH and back through NY.

What is the typical fuel mileage you get towing the AirStream?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited October 2022
    sda said:

We don't talk about these things when fuel is >$5/gal. :cold_sweat:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,605
    I think $5/gal would be a real find around here.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    We are under $4/gal for RUG. Diesel is over $5, though.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Same here. There is still a full $1 difference between RUG & PUG here.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Paid $5.05/gal for premium at costco yesterday.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

Paid $5.05/gal for premium at costco yesterday.

You've got to bring your "N" in for the recall?

• Options
    Van Wert, OH: $4.31/gal for PUG, yesterday. In Fort Wayne, just 30 minutes away, it was $4.77/gal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    RUG here was $3.629/gallon - first time in a while it was less than $50 to fill up.
  • Options

$3.30 next town over. Which weirdly has a few stations $.30 gallon cheaper than everywhere else near us. Though we were in “the city” Saturday for a show, and the Mobil station there was only 3.45.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I'm seeing $3.09 (cash) and $3.19 (credit) for RUG around here. That is at the name brand stations (Chevron, Mobil, etc), but not directly on the freeway, which is always higher. Some off-brand stations are under $3, H-E-B is at $3.03.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    When I first arrived home last week, both gas and diesel were the same price: $5.60/gal ($5.40 at Costco). Now, gas is $5.30/gal, but diesel hasn't changed. The real tough pill to swallow, though, is that heating oil.... HEATING OIL... is over $5/gal.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986

@xwesx said:
    When I first arrived home last week, both gas and diesel were the same price: $5.60/gal ($5.40 at Costco). Now, gas is $5.30/gal, but diesel hasn't changed. The real tough pill to swallow, though, is that heating oil.... HEATING OIL... is over $5/gal.

To add salt to the wound isn't heating oil the least refined?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Yep. :/
  • Options
    xwesx said:

100%. I just checked. If I were to buy heating oil today, It would be well over $5.50 per gallon. WOOF!

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    Filled up at Costco this morning for $3.99/gallon. A little concerned about what may be a coming trend around here, given that I saw Meijer yesterday with 3.75/4.15/4.55 which makes me wonder how soon everyone else will go to an 80-cent delta from the 60 cent spread that has been prevalent for a few years here in Louisville.

Granted, last week in Providence it mid-grade was 90 cents more than regular, with another 25 cent jump for premium. Fortunately the rental was a regular unleaded vehicle.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options

@dad23 said:
    RUG here was $3.629/gallon - first time in a while it was less than $50 to fill up.

————————————————-
    I found a way to avoid the fill-up anxiety. I fill-up every other day. It only costs about 14 bucks that way with our gas hogs.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Stop driving so much. I maybe fill up once a month at this point.

And like I tell my wife, if you’re cold, put on a sweater. You have 50 of them.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

We briefly got to $2.99 at one station for a day before RUG shot back up to around $3.40 average if you’re willing to travel 10+ miles. I have to get out the calculator to determine if the savings are worth the gas burned getting there.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I thought I had a scheme going where I would perpetually get $1/gallon off by redeeming my bestie's Kroger Fuel points, as she spends several hundred bucks a month at that grocery but doesn't buy fuel there. Unfortunately, the last time I filled up, there was only $0.40/gallon available from last month. :'(
  • Options

@xwesx said:
    Yep. :/

————————————————
    I heard the costs are for the dedicated supply lines from the refineries.

jmonroe

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Interest rates are definitely up. Chase just sent me an "exclusive offer" to finance a new car at 5.85%.

The company sponsored credit union is still showing 2.99% up to 60 months, but I suspect those rates on their web site may be out of date. Not that it matters, I am not interested in purchasing at today's inflated prices.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    30 year mortgage rates are hovering around 7% now. Towards the beginning of the rate increases, I noticed lenders "hide" the higher rates by advertising loans which included points (and moderately higher closing costs) to buy down the interest rate. Harder to do when rates have shot up this much.

My adjustable rate mortgage has its first reset in 38 months, so hopefully we will see a soft landing before then.
  • Options
    Corvette, I hope your Maverick did not get rescheduled for a 12/5 or later December build. Just saw that they will be cancelling some 2022 orders that already had VINs assigned, and that is how to tell which ones.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Last year we weren't happy that our construction loan was a 30 year @ 3.25%.
    Now it looks pretty good and we are sitting on a pile of cash(more than enough to pay off the mortgage).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    @stickguy - yikes, leave it to Ford to create yet another pile of drama. Mine is "in production" and apparently has electronic modules assigned to the VIN, so I'm assuming it will get built as a 2022.
  • Options
    same here. I took out the mortgage on the new place because we got it first so had 2 briefly (won't do that again!). and was annoyed the rate was 3.625 (I think our old one was at 2.625 or so). But looks good now! paid most of it off, and could do the rest but sitting on the cash for now but will probably pay off another 1/2 the balance soon. I think that would mean about 2.5 years of just letting the normal payment come out and it would be done. Seems smart right now to keep the cushion in the bank!

• Options
    corvette said:

@stickguy - yikes, leave it to Ford to create yet another pile of drama. Mine is "in production" and apparently has electronic modules assigned to the VIN, so I'm assuming it will get built as a 2022.

then you should be fine. The way it apparently will work is that Ford moved them to December to group them, and will skip the dealer and just recreate the orders as 2023 models, and put them in at priority 2. So in theory, the only change should be what model year it arrives as, but arriving at about the same time.

I don't actually expect my 2023 to arrive either, so it is entirely possible that i will go almost 2 full years with one on order that never arrives. It would bother me a lot more if I didn't already have one!

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Explorer, we've been very happy having no mortgage for such a long time. Nice to know that we own it free & clear and just have the regular monthly overhead to take care of. Paying it off early was very high on our bucket list and thank G-d above that with hard work on our part, it finally happened! I just really hate owing anyone anything for some strange reason. Only carry a balance on one credit card and pay it off monthly.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    henryn said:

Interest rates are definitely up. Chase just sent me an "exclusive offer" to finance a new car at 5.85%.

The company sponsored credit union is still showing 2.99% up to 60 months, but I suspect those rates on their web site may be out of date. Not that it matters, I am not interested in purchasing at today's inflated prices.

My credit union has up the 60 month loan rate to 4.74%. That’s up more than 2 full percent. I’m just using the sock drawer bank until things improve. They say even more so now that dealers don’t want cash buyers so I guess you now have to book a loan and then pay it right off to get the best car deal.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    sda said:

@sb55 said:

Not too many miles in that many months. We just got back from a quick high mile trip with our truck and Airstream from VT to Albuquerque, NM back to Troy, NY and then home up to VT. 5225 miles in 25 days. We had reservations since January at the Balloon Fiesta and had planned to stay out west for another couple of weeks exploring some National Parks. But, first grand-baby is on the way and that changed our plans :o

So, we basically drove the interstates all the way and did a few high mile days to keep on schedule. We saw lots of corn and soy being harvested pretty much from Oklahoma through MO, IL, IN, OH and back through NY.

Because I have the 6.2 motor in the Silverado, premium fuel is recommended. When towing I do use PUG. I got 12.8 mpg for the whole trip. My guess is that all but about 300 miles was towing. Fortunately we didn't have any bad windy days that can happen out west. In fact on the way home from NM, through OK, MO, IN, IL we mostly had a tailwind. I got almost 14 mpg through those states.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ^^^^^^^^

What the hell is this?
    kyfdx said:

Van Wert, OH: $4.31/gal for PUG, yesterday. In Fort Wayne, just 30 minutes away, it was $4.77/gal.

$3.69 for RUG….Costco Mason!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    @qbrozen - that is very cute. Way cool!

• Options

Never heard of that one. Make it a LHD and a 5 speed and I’d want one.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    Oddly enough, they made several sizes of Pajero. The full-size 4-door and 2-door, along with a Pajero Jr with 1100 cc engine, and the still smaller Pajero Mini with the Kei-required 660 cc mill.

BTW, a friend of mine just mentioned to me yesterday that "Pajero" is not something he could drive because his Cuban family would never let him live it down. I had to google translate. YIKES!! How do marketing people not research this stuff?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    edited October 2022
    qbrozen said:

Oddly enough, they made several sizes of Pajero. The full-size 4-door and 2-door, along with a Pajero Jr with 1100 cc engine, and the still smaller Pajero Mini with the Kei-required 660 cc mill.

BTW, a friend of mine just mentioned to me yesterday that "Pajero" is not something he could drive because his Cuban family would never let him live it down. I had to google translate. YIKES!! How do marketing people not research this stuff?

See: "Nova" in Spanish speaking countries, tambien...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)