Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935

I rode in my first model 3 (first tesla, really) on Sat thanks to the uber driver who took me to the airport. It felt more like a regular car than I expected, but also noisier and rougher-riding than I expected, too. It was rather disappointing considering the cost, to be honest. I’m sure my opinion would be different if I was the pilot. But, as a passenger, meh.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

No word yet from the Nissan buyer. Hopefully not a flake.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    breld said:

...I think I’ll pass on it (and lose the $250 deposit unfortunately).

Twitter meant to send you a card thanking you for your donation of $250, but it turns out they laid off the entire department of people who send cards.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    qbrozen said:

I rode in my first model 3 (first tesla, really) on Sat thanks to the uber driver who took me to the airport. It felt more like a regular car than I expected, but also noisier and rougher-riding than I expected, too. It was rather disappointing considering the cost, to be honest. I’m sure my opinion would be different if I was the pilot. But, as a passenger, meh.

I have never driven an electric vehicle of any make. Hybrid, yes, all electric, no. Nor even ridden in one.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517

Same here actually. But I’m not sure if I’ve even ridden in a hybrid.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    As much as we all like cars in this discussion, I'm a bit surprised at how many of us have not driven a full BEV.

I've been fortunate enough to have short drives in both a Tesla Model 3 and the Polestar 2 - owned by @jpp75 and @breld, respectively. Plus my test drives of the XC40 Recharge and the VW ID.4.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

I’ve ridden in several Teslas and my experience mirrors Q. I drove a Fusion hybrid as a rental a few years back. I liked it, but it was slow.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,387

I find riding as passenger to be “meh” in most cars. But I’m also a horrible passenger generally and need to the the one driving.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Pretty sure the crashing over bumps would irritate me in such a pricey car, even if driving. And this one was less than 2 mos old, so certainly not worn in any way. It was a totally base model with autopilot, he said.

• clm8clm8 Member Posts: 56
    My father has a Model 3 Performance(?), and my brother just got a Mach E last week. I have driven both, and while the Tesla is much faster, I prefer driving and the interior on the Mach E. Very. quiet and comfortable, and much easier to get in and out of.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @qbrozen - check your DM.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Michaell said:

As much as we all like cars in this discussion, I'm a bit surprised at how many of us have not driven a full BEV.

I've been fortunate enough to have short drives in both a Tesla Model 3 and the Polestar 2 - owned by @jpp75 and @breld, respectively. Plus my test drives of the XC40 Recharge and the VW ID.4.

You took a quick drive of the Rivian too, right? So you have a wide breadth of EV experience!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Have had the 1st gen Leaf and the Mach E as our 2 full EVs; then the 4xe and Ioniq as 2 PHEVs. I think that's it.

@jpp75 's R1T is the only EV I've driven or ridden in. Anyone heard from him lately? I don't think he's posted recently.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    No hybrid or EV experience for me. One day.. I have driven a few diesel passenger cars but not recently.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

@corvette

Looks great! Can't even tell it isn't factory. Are you planning on putting some sort of bed liner in? Even if you just cut a piece of cardboard out or a rubber mat from tractor supply to protect the painted surface. It will scratch (and drive you crazy, especially you).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    tjc78 said:

@Michaell said:

When is the lease on the XC90 up? What plans do you have to replace it?

Just made payment 24 so a year to go. Wife hasn’t said but if it’s up to me I’ll be chasing a lease on something.

I’d consider another XC90 or a 60. Grand Cherokee is always a good choice as well. Wife would love a 4XE version.

————————————————-
    Question answered. You’re getting a 4XE. It’s always nice to have time to adjust to a major purchase. :/

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    qbrozen said:

No word yet from the Nissan buyer. Hopefully not a flake.

———————————————
    You might get your 10K after all.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@nyccarguy Yes! I was going to get the Ford factory mat, but after getting the tonneau from Realtruck in only a couple of days (it helps that their warehouse is only 85 miles away), I think I’ll order one from them instead. My plan was/is that if the sides of the bed get scratched, I’d just have a spray in liner done at that point.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    EV experience - since 2014, I have owned a 1G Leaf, 1G Kia Soul EV, 2 Model 3 P's, 1 Model X P, and the Y Long Range. And yet, people still like to tell me about how EV's don't work and how I don't get it.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Oh, that reminds me... I don't think I mentioned the chat I had with the model 3 driver. He manages to do a 6-hr uber shift on a single charge. I was pretty blown away by that. And uber pays a bonus for driving an EV. A fairly significant one, from what he was inferring.

Back on the Nissan, the buyer emailed late this morn. He is in "south OH" and planning to fly here and drive back.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Michaell said:

I leased an i3 for a couple of years. It was a perfect commuter car.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

I find riding as passenger to be “meh” in most cars. But I’m also a horrible passenger generally and need to the the one driving.

I don't get all these men who let their wife drive them everywhere. My wife is a good driver, but when I'm in a car I want the wheel.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    qbrozen said:

Oh, that reminds me... I don't think I mentioned the chat I had with the model 3 driver. He manages to do a 6-hr uber shift on a single charge. I was pretty blown away by that. And uber pays a bonus for driving an EV. A fairly significant one, from what he was inferring.

Back on the Nissan, the buyer emailed late this morn. He is in "south OH" and planning to fly here and drive back.

Most residents say they are in Southwest Ohio or Southeast Ohio. Must be a pretty small area that would say “south Ohio”.

I will note there is a maximum security prison in Lucasville, though. 😬

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My Polestar 2 is definitely my primary driver, as I do prefer the EV driving experience overall. Half of it is the efficiency of not requiring stops at the gas station, but I enjoy the smoothness of the power delivery and the one-pedal driving.

I'll take the E450 (or the X5 before that) when I have passengers, or if I simply want the more spacious and comfortable environment. And I drive the ZHP generally on weekends, when I'm in the mood for that more raw connected experience.

Ideally, I'd like to replace the Polestar with an EV that has the comfort and space of the E450. Could be the Polestar 3 or the Rivian R1S. Maybe the upcoming MB EQE. I also have renewed interest in the BMW i4, though that isn't necessarily any more spacious than the Polestar 2.

qbrozen said:

So on the opposite end of the spectrum, my friend and his family moved to FL and have come back to CT for Thanksgiving. His 2018 2 Door JK Rubicon Hard Rock (6MT) is here for him to drive, so he rented a Tesla for his wife to drive for the 4 or 5 days they are here. They weren't given a tutorial on how to use it, just basically handed the "keys" and told that if they need to "fill up," that there are a bunch of TESLA Superchargers along I-95 and The Merritt Parkway. Now I assume they have the standard range Model 3. It has been in the high 20s - low 30s here. They got it and it was fully charged on Sunday AM. His wife drove around all day (unsure of the mileage, but say 100 miles - max). The battery was down to less than 20% on Sunday night. They charged at a supercharger for 50 minutes until it was fully charged. Monday AM she started off with close to a full charge, drove around for most of the day (again - 100 miles max). The battery was down to 11%. They charged up again for 50 minutes at a supercharger. Is there some sort of setting he should be looking to change?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    qbrozen said:

I’m not sure I would value anything a guy who uses an expensive car like that to do Uber has to say. Maybe it was his mom’s.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    henryn said:

qbrozen said:

I have never driven an electric vehicle of any make. Hybrid, yes, all electric, no. Nor even ridden in one.
    Acceleration is the big thing, even in cheaper versions like the Kona. Intoxicating.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

That Accord is still sitting at $10,800 with just under 40 minutes to go.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

sda said:

No hybrid or EV experience for me. One day.. I have driven a few diesel passenger cars but not recently.

The only diesel I’ve driven was yellow and was full of screaming kids.😳
    26 foot straight truck with 2 aircraft freight containers...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@roadburner said:
    I don't get all these men who let their wife drive them everywhere. My wife is a good driver, but when I'm in a car I want the wheel.

I’ve been with my wife since 2008. I don’t think I’ve been a passenger more than 5 times. She hates to drive.

I agree. My wife is an excellent driver, but I drive everywhere. I'll tell you what I don't get. Where I work which is an urban neighborhood, I see women driving men around (maybe they have a suspended license). What I don't get is the women pull into the gas station, get out of the car, pay for, and pump the gas while the man is reclined in the passenger seat checking out his social media accounts.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I’m not sure I would value anything a guy who uses an expensive car like that to do Uber has to say. Maybe it was his mom’s.

Eh, don’t judge so quickly. Single young guy who has a 9-5 consulting job and decided to uber the weekends for extra money. He financed the tesla.

@nyccarguy said:
    So on the opposite end of the spectrum, my friend and his family moved to FL and have come back to CT for Thanksgiving. His 2018 2 Door JK Rubicon Hard Rock (6MT) is here for him to drive, so he rented a Tesla for his wife to drive for the 4 or 5 days they are here. They weren't given a tutorial on how to use it, just basically handed the "keys" and told that if they need to "fill up," that there are a bunch of TESLA Superchargers along I-95 and The Merritt Parkway. Now I assume they have the standard range Model 3. It has been in the high 20s - low 30s here. They got it and it was fully charged on Sunday AM. His wife drove around all day (unsure of the mileage, but say 100 miles - max). The battery was down to less than 20% on Sunday night. They charged at a supercharger for 50 minutes until it was fully charged. Monday AM she started off with close to a full charge, drove around for most of the day (again - 100 miles max). The battery was down to 11%. They charged up again for 50 minutes at a supercharger. Is there some sort of setting he should be looking to change?

Yes. The outside thermostat. ;b

I was also told by an Uber driver there were incentives to having a new Tesla.

One of my Uber drivers was a Salesman who drove to multiple accounts per day. He would turn on the service in between accounts and on the way home to pick up some extra cash

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Michaell said:

I've ridden in a few. Next car might even be one, but that likely won't be til the very end of the decade. Waiting for tech and design to continue on their evolution (it likely won't be a Tesla unless there is a significant change in leadership, and maybe some design).
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024
    fintail said:

Michaell said:

I've ridden in a few. Next car might even be one, but that likely won't be til the very end of the decade. Waiting for tech and design to continue on their evolution (it likely won't be a Tesla unless there is a significant change in leadership, and maybe some design).
    I think the MB EVs have some style to them - @breld was talking about the EQB he saw at the dealer, priced in the low 60's. Would work as a daily for much of the population, I should think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Michaell said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

I think the MB EVs have some style to them - @breld was talking about the EQB he saw at the dealer, priced in the low 60's. Would work as a daily for much of the population, I should think.
    The EQS and EQE kind of have "bathtub" styling to my eyes. I saw an EQB my last dealer visit too, inoffensive. I wish traditional makers could make more EVs that look like normal cars - I am not into different for the sake of of different styling, or the need to shout to everyone that I am driving an EV (which is the basis for most of said styling, IMO).

I kind of like the new Caddy EV which seems like a legit value, and the quirky angular Ioniq.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    edited November 2022
    tjc78 said:

One of my Uber drivers was a Salesman who drove to multiple accounts per day. He would turn on the service in between accounts and on the way home to pick up some extra cash

I used to do that, too. Not once did I ever get a hit to drive someone somewhere. After about six months of it, I just never started the app again.

And, honestly, that's what "ridesharing" is all about. Not these professional taxi drivers that call themselves rideshare drivers.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

@nyccarguy said:
    That Accord is still sitting at $10,800 with just under 40 minutes to go.

I was surprised it “only” went for $12,1… though it does need a timing belt. If I had the justification and place to park an extra car, that would have been tempting as the time ticked down.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

————————————————-
    The real trick would be if he did it the other way around. :p

jmonroe
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

Most residents say they are in Southwest Ohio or Southeast Ohio. Must be a pretty small area that would say “south Ohio”.

I will note there is a maximum security prison in Lucasville, though. 😬
    ————————————————
    How long have you been out? o:)

jmonroe

@roadburner said:
    An addendum to my previous comment; as an HPDE instructor I spend a lot of time in the passenger seat of a student's car. I have friends who race professionally who say they wouldn't instruct if they were paid- never mind for free.
    I guess I'm too dumb to be scared.

————————————————
    Just because you were on the bench doesn’t mean you have to be totally honest. o:)

jmonroe

Took my E450 in yesterday to get a few nagging things addressed. Scheduled the appointment several weeks ago so I could have a loaner, but they still say they are so backed up that it will be a few days before they even get to looking at my vehicle.

Anyway, got a brand new CLA as a loaner. It’s stylish looking, but I’m not crazy about driving it. Last I took the X5 in, it was nice that they had a 5-series as a loaner. No such luck at the MB dealer.

fintail said:

Michaell said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

The EQS and EQE kind of have "bathtub" styling to my eyes. I saw an EQB my last dealer visit too, inoffensive. I wish traditional makers could make more EVs that look like normal cars - I am not into different for the sake of of different styling, or the need to shout to everyone that I am driving an EV (which is the basis for most of said styling, IMO).

I kind of like the new Caddy EV which seems like a legit value, and the quirky angular Ioniq.
    When we were buying the wife’s GLC, they had an EQS SUV in the showroom that we poked around in. I totally get the “bathtub” reference, but I thought there was an elegance to the styling that contrasted favorably to BMW’s iX. I assume the EQE SUV will adopt a very similar design, but in a slightly smaller package and lower price point.