Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    stickguy said:

Congrats. That thing got a Hemi I assume?

Yes. 6.4 Hemi. I test drove a GM diesel that I liked, but diesel + DEF is expensive. Plus, since I tow, pulling into a station with a trailer and looking for the diesel pump didn't seem appealing to me.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,200
    stickguy said:

Congrats. That thing got a Hemi I assume?

Diesel, I bet, being a 2500.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited March 2023
    @breld,
    Bronco looks good on that color combo. Area 51?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Congrats @sb55 on the new truck!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@breld,
    Bronco looks good on that color combo. Area 51?

It’s actually Azure Gray, which very much resembles Area 51 but with more of a metallic flake versus a flat look.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    As far as I know they do. It’s a downright abomination to the laws of car manufacturing what they did to the Jeep name.

jmonroe

I’m gonna guess Gladiator 😂

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Gladiator is great, IMHO. A nice evolution of the Comanche.
    I think their biggest flubs were producing anything that did not have 4wd, and the Fiat-based mini-jeep thing that I can't even recall the name of right now. The original Liberty was pretty awful, too. But all of these faults were on expanded lineup and didn't affect the core Jeep products. I think they've done a great job, frankly.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    qbrozen said:

Gladiator is great, IMHO.

Haven't heard too many people saying nice things about the Gladiator.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

I just think the Gladiator is ugly

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    mjfloyd1 said:

I just think the Gladiator is ugly

Sells like crazy and is something the Jeep community was clamoring for for years. It’s the best of both worlds to me. Jeep up front with all the character of the front end and options for the tops and doors off. In the back is a functional truck bed. The aftermarket for it is almost as good as the Wrangler so you can personalize as much as your wallet can stand. Thats a big deal to many. Plus it’s a Jeep off road. You do sacrifice some approach and departure angles due to the wheelbase.

Is it full-sized truck functional? No, but how many F-150’s see a job site anyway? For corporate stooges like me that haul crap occasionally on the weekends, it would work.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

I never hear many people saying nice things about Starbucks, but they are obviously doing quite well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

I never hear many people saying nice things about Starbucks, but they are obviously doing quite well.
    Starbucks Coffee is delicious!
    My cousin has a Snazzberry Gladiator Overland (not the Sport or the Rubicon). He loves it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Congrats @breld, my kid loves the two door version, let me know when you get tired of it!
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Yes, lots of people like crappy products of all types.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    sb55 said:

It's a long story, but the Silverado had an 2-1/2 month and many trip to the dealer for an electrical problem caused by a mechanic. It was to the point where I didn't trust it. So, put me in for a punch. I traded my 2017 Silverado for a barely used 2022 Ram 2500. It's my first ever Chrysler (Stellantis) vehicle, but I have 4 more years of factory warranty so will give it a go. Now I have to learn how to use all of the tech. The 12" Uconnect screen is bigger than my first B&W TV!

The Ram is my favorite full-sized pickup. Congrats!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    dad23 said:

Congrats @breld, my kid loves the two door version, let me know when you get tired of it!

Better get ready quickly.... you have three or four months! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited March 2023

@au1994 said:
    Sells like crazy and is something the Jeep community was clamoring for for years. It’s the best of both worlds to me. Jeep up front with all the character of the front end and options for the tops and doors off. In the back is a functional truck bed. The aftermarket for it is almost as good as the Wrangler so you can personalize as much as your wallet can stand. Thats a big deal to many. Plus it’s a Jeep off road. You do sacrifice some approach and departure angles due to the wheelbase.

Is it full-sized truck functional? No, but how many F-150’s see a job site anyway? For corporate stooges like me that haul crap occasionally on the weekends, it would work.

I get the utility. They are just not my cup of tea looks wise.

They don’t sell well where I am. Lots of gladiators on the lots and very few wranglers.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    On appearance only, Ram is certainly the nicest of the HD bunch! I am resolved to the long-time evolution of the Ford look, but the GM appearance is simply garish. I doubt I'll ever buy another truck, but if I had to do it tomorrow, I'd test out the Ram first.

I always wanted to get a model year 2019 Chevrolet 2500 as a 50-year companion piece for my '69 C20, but that year came and went all to fast, and I really couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Starbucks Coffee is delicious!
    My cousin has a Snazzberry Gladiator Overland (not the Sport or the Rubicon). He loves it!
    A Gladiator Rubicon 392 would definitely be on my radar, if such a build existed.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Jeep Compass?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3 said:

Jeep Compass?

I believe I covered that when I mentioned the Fiat-based one. Although I was specifically thinking of the smaller one, the Compass is based on the same. I admit, though, I love the looks of the 2016+ compass, as well as the 500x. Not a fan of the previous Compass and Caliber, but my nephew loves his '08 or '09 and has over 180k miles on it.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Renegade? Not sure if that and the compass were on the same platform. Kind of like the escape and bronco sport. Same basic car, but one very boxy and the other more curvy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    @qbrozen - you're thinking of the Renegade.

Compass and Patriot were built off the same platform, I think shared with the Dodge Caliber.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Patriot is the one I forgot. I thought the renegade was smaller. That is the one that IIRC is basically a Fiat 500XL. hard pass on that.

• Options
    Renegade, yes. The old Compass was tied to the Caliber, but the 2016 redesign was/is on the 500x/Renegade platform. At least that's what Wiki tells me. lol.

• Options
    Ya gotta give Stellantis a little credit for not naming it something like Cherokee Sport (hello, Ford, are you listening?)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315
    qbrozen said:

Ya gotta give Stellantis a little credit for not naming it something like Cherokee Sport (hello, Ford, are you listening?)

Ah, but what about the Grand Cherokee?

Same thing, just going bigger, not smaller.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

Oh I really like the new Grand Cherokee L. Looks like a baby (read cheaper) Wagoneer to me.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

As far as I know they do. It’s a downright abomination to the laws of car manufacturing what they did to the Jeep name.

jmonroe

Inquiring minds want to know: what do you think they did to Jeep that was so bad? Save them from going down with the AMC ship?

————————————————
    As everyone one in here knows, I’m not a fan of Chrysler (or whatever they’re called today) and the stories I’ve heard from 3 people I know that have/had Jeeps hasn’t changed my mind.

I heard and old timer say about 10 years ago that if Chrysler made Jeep’s for us during World War ll we’d have lost the war. Take it from there.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    rayainsrayains Member Posts: 28
    sb55 -
    Congrats on the punch!
    - Ray
    And best of luck!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

The GC was in development pre-Chrysler. And they had already shrunk the Cherokee and kept the name. So, really, it was AMC's fault for not giving the new, smaller vehicle a new name. lol.

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

As everyone one in here knows, I’m not a fan of Chrysler (or whatever they’re called today) and the stories I’ve heard from 3 people I know that have/had Jeeps hasn’t changed my mind.

I heard and old timer say about 10 years ago that if Chrysler made Jeep’s for us during World War ll we’d have lost the war. Take it from there.

jmonroe

Alrighty then. Moving along.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Like the Compass & the Renegade as both are a smaller vehicle. Have a bunch of Compass's at work but no Renegade's for some reason. Also have the Gladiator truck but they ride really rough, same as the Wrangler's which most drivers hate. Not a fan myself as they just ride really rough.
    Got our first 2024 Honda Accord & liked what I saw. Same size, just the front & rear fascia's look different than the current model. They will probably sell a lot of them to be honest. It's past time for Toyota to do something with both the Corolla & the Camry...they both look old & tired right now. Hyundai & Kia are really producing some beautiful new models and don't get why Toyota isn't doing the same. As for someone who does plan to purchase something new within the next year, I've written off Toyota as of now. Think I'll be going back to Hyundai at this point. Out of the three we've had, all have been very good vehicles, the Tucson I had was just the wrong vehicle for me at the time. think I would've done better getting the Elantra GT 5-door to be honest and think I'd still have it right now.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    andres3 said:

Jeep Compass?

————————————————
    Now there’s a Jeep that is somewhat functional. When it’s not on a rack, it won’t get lost.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe

Inquiring minds want to know: what do you think they did to Jeep that was so bad? Save them from going down with the AMC ship?

————————————————

jmonroe

Trying to equate a 2023 model vehicle to one built 80 years ago is .. what words do I want here? "Silly to the extreme" comes to mind.

And when I think of a Jeep truck, I don't think of the newer ones, I remember the iconic older model as featured in Tremors (one of my favorite movies).
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

Congrats Breld. Love it. > @sb55 said:

Yes. 6.4 Hemi. I test drove a GM diesel that I liked, but diesel + DEF is expensive. Plus, since I tow, pulling into a station with a trailer and looking for the diesel pump didn't seem appealing to me.

Sounds like a nice build. Welcome to the Ram club. I know I really enjoy mine. What trim level, Laramie?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Back to work tomorrow after being off for a couple of days. Was just plain tired so I stayed home today & was only out for about an hour yesterday running a few errands. This new schedule is going to work as having these couple of days to relax really helped. Now, go back to work just one day & then have another two off. My body seems to perform better when I have more days to rest. Think this new schedule will keep me working longer than I thought I would going forward.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Thanks for the congrats on the Ram 2500. This truck should tow the 30' Airstream with ease. I never had a problem towing with the Silverado 1500 because it had the larger 6.2 motor. But, it took premium gas. I bought the new-to-me truck down in Mass., so it was over a 200 mile drive to make the trade. As a test, I set the cruise control the same speed (confirmed by WAZE) driving the old one down and the new one home. The Silverado got 21 mpg down on premium and the Ram 2500 got 16.5 on regular back home. So, the cost per mile was similar, since premium gas is now about $1.00 more per gallon. I hope that ratio for MPG stays the same!

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    The Ram MPGs remind me of the Tundra, and it wasn't a 2500.
  • Options
    Isn't the trip from VT to MA basically downhill and the opposite on the way back?
  • Options
    Wonder what this will go for? Anyone got the itch? :)
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-530i-35/
  • Options
    clean 5 series. too bad it has the wrong transmission!

rabbit hole turned this up. I love this. going to end up pretty pricey though. probably not too many left not all rusted out.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-jeep-comanche-17/

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    5 series looks clean, but wrong color and no sport package. Also, no service history.
  • Options
    corvette said:

5 series looks clean, but wrong color and no sport package. Also, no service history.

Heck its only needed about 2 oil changes! :smile:

• Options
    stickguy said:

rabbit hole turned this up. I love this. going to end up pretty pricey though. probably not too many left not all rusted out.

40 min left and its up to $15,999

• Options
    au1994 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————
    What are you waiting for? The very last second? :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    A gentleman never tells…

• Options
    au1994 said:

jmonroe1 said:

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    A gentleman never tells…
    wait, are you buying it for me?

That is so nice of you!

• Options
    wow. Jeep went for an even $20,000. It looked nice (though apparently needed a new or rebuilt transmission so add that to the tab). But still a lot for something that IMO is a toy at this point. Not sure what I would do with it. Not at all suited to being a daily driver, but too nice to part outside to be a dump runner beater truck.

• Options
    Another long day today, worked 11 hours. Went from Coconut Creek to West Palm Beach, down to Miami & finally, up to Ft. Pierce & Vero Beach again, just like Tuesday. But hit lots of traffic coming back south which added time o the trip. Glad I've got the next couple of days off. Have PTO on Monday as the kid has jury duty in downtown Ft. Lauderdale & someone volunteered me to drive her & stay with her down there in the jury room. The saving grace here is that she has to call at 5 PM on Sunday to find out if she'll be needed. If yes...we're going down. If not...I'm going into work I guess. Hate to waste a PTO day as I might need it later on in the year. So, here's hoping to them not needing her on Monday!