Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    @nyccarguy, Good luck to your father with his new truck. I’ll be another one to complement the color. Gone are the days when trucks were black or white and had the companies name on them.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    stickguy said:

I really am feeling like going out car shopping next week.

that might not be a good thing.

So long as car shopping doesn't lead to car buying, you should be good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

@henryn said:
    Unless my 50% color blind eyes are deceiving me, that is the same color as my Silverado. "Radiant Red Tintcoat", right? A $495 option on the MSRP. And very pretty!

You are correct @henryn

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Another love for the color and congrats on the Tahoe. I’ve ridden in a couple and they are super, super nice. I could almost get used to the size for that kind of luxury.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    With the talk of push-button starting. My old school truck was key in the ignition and an actual column shift lever. My new (to me) Ram truck has push-button start/stop. But it also has the DIAL shifter right below it. Twice now I've pushed the button to off before shifting it to park. Fortunately, it is "smart" enough to not freak out and it will shift itself into park before shutting off the motor. But, it does not shut off the accessories, so another push of the button is necessary. It will take some getting used to.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907

@sb55 said:
    With the talk of push-button starting. My old school truck was key in the ignition and an actual column shift lever. My new (to me) Ram truck has push-button start/stop. But it also has the DIAL shifter right below it. Twice now I've pushed the button to off before shifting it to park. Fortunately, it is "smart" enough to not freak out and it will shift itself into park before shutting off the motor. But, it does not shut off the accessories, so another push of the button is necessary. It will take some getting used to.

The dial shifter does take a little while to get used to, but the space it saves is well worth it IMO.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@nyccarguy - another congrats to your dad’s purchase! I do love that red - stands out for sure. I haven’t had a red car since my 1990 Civic Si, but I’m really digging the deep reds on a lot of vehicles these days .

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    qbrozen said:

I played with making an overlay for the suzuki speedo today.

I love it and pretty sure anyone in the market for it would think so as well.

Dare we ask what the plan for the next sale is?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    stickguy said:

I really like the color of that Tahoe. Quite the barge though.

My next door neighbor has the Suburban version.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517

@sb55 said:

Are you sure they don’t go off when you open the door? Both my cars were like that. Turning it off only stopped the engine but radio kept playing and dash stayed lit up. Soon as you open the door everything goes off.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

In the BMW, you have to push twice. After one push, it still won't go off if you open the door, but it will quit, eventually.

In the VW, one push, then the accessories stop when you open the door.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    au1994 said:

Well, I've got 3 sitting here, with titles in hand. None of them are ready for sale, though.
    1. blue Pajero MINI 5-spd needs paintwork. I bought some wrap that I'm going to give a shot for the first time. It is just the hood and roof. Rest is in good shape. HOWEVER, I have the diff and transfer case out right now (see below).
    2. silver Pajero MINI turbo automatic has issues. I have yet to figure out what the problem is. I thought it was the differential, so I took the rear one out of the blue car and put it in. No change. Then tried the transfer case. Same result. Now in the process of swapping coils/wires/plugs, but it has been raining for 2 days. It COULD be the transmission, but I'm kind of doubtful. Engine runs beautiful in neutral or park. Any attempt to accelerate under load is met with stuttering.
    3. Alto Works needs a good bit of work. That will be a more extensive wrap job, if I find I can even do it myself effectively, and has non-working fuel and temp gauges.

Pretty sure the BMW will need next to nothing, but gotta wait on that title.

Pajero is on a truck headed for CA now.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    The C43 shuts down completely when you open the door.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Q - you have any plans to buy some domestic stock once you get up and running or are you looking solely at importing?

tjc78 said:

Q - you have any plans to buy some domestic stock once you get up and running or are you looking solely at importing?

definitely going to buy cars here. As soon as my master plate arrives, I can register with Manheim. I can't survive on imports given my limited storage capacity. I need cars I can turn quicker.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726

Ha ha, my phone is so low tech that it has a hand crank on the side.😂

I thought you just climbed up the telephone pole to make calls...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tifighter said:

@andres3 said:

I have heard of Tesla's sky-high insurance premiums. So high in fact, that Elon Musk and Tesla started their own Tesla insurance company to insure Tesla's more reasonably.

Just stop…

What? There's nothing wrong with it; capitalism at work.

https://www.tesla.com/insurance

Autonomous car lovers often predict insurance companies will price humans out of the market to drive. I remind them I can self-insure if the prices are not fair. Capitalism.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

The agony and the ecstasy...
    I was driving the Wrangler to our church tonight and it flat-out died. It would restart and die after a couple of seconds. Fortunately a deputy sheriff who works security called in a flatbed to transport it to my indie shop then gave us a ride home to pick up another car. It's 24 years old so I'm not going to complain.

On a brighter note, I received an email tonight that the Club Sport was accepted into the Youngtimers class at the 2023 Keeneland Concours d’Elegance- the second time in five years. In 2018 I was in the middle of my election campaign, and the application process is a bit time intensive. I told my wife that I should probably be campaigning instead of working on the application. She said, "Complete the application; you will be more upset about missing the concours than you will if you lose the election."
    She was right, of course.

Congratulations on your award.

My 2004 cargo van has been pretty trouble free up until last night when on the way home the CEL came on. I pulled up code P0157 which involves the downstream O2 sensor. I was planning on a visit to the mechanic but the light went out driving around this morning. I’m sure it will be back and hopefully it will take nothing more than a sensor to fix.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

Love the color, @nyccarguy! Congrats to your dad.

That is a very nice red. Up until now only Mazda had a red that looked that good.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349

The agony and the ecstasy...
    I was driving the Wrangler to our church tonight and it flat-out died. It would restart and die after a couple of seconds. Fortunately a deputy sheriff who works security called in a flatbed to transport it to my indie shop then gave us a ride home to pick up another car. It's 24 years old so I'm not going to complain.

On a brighter note, I received an email tonight that the Club Sport was accepted into the Youngtimers class at the 2023 Keeneland Concours d’Elegance- the second time in five years. In 2018 I was in the middle of my election campaign, and the application process is a bit time intensive. I told my wife that I should probably be campaigning instead of working on the application. She said, "Complete the application; you will be more upset about missing the concours than you will if you lose the election."
    She was right, of course.

Congratulations on your award.

My 2004 cargo van has been pretty trouble free up until last night when on the way home the CEL came on. I pulled up code P0157 which involves the downstream O2 sensor. I was planning on a visit to the mechanic but the light went out driving around this morning. I’m sure it will be back and hopefully it will take nothing more than a sensor to fix.
    Thanks! It's not an award in the strictest sense, but it is an honor to have your car accepted. I have no illusions about my car winning a trophy; I'm just happy to have it on display.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

qbrozen said:

au1994 said:

Well, I've got 3 sitting here, with titles in hand. None of them are ready for sale, though.
    1. blue Pajero MINI 5-spd needs paintwork. I bought some wrap that I'm going to give a shot for the first time. It is just the hood and roof. Rest is in good shape. HOWEVER, I have the diff and transfer case out right now (see below).
    2. silver Pajero MINI turbo automatic has issues. I have yet to figure out what the problem is. I thought it was the differential, so I took the rear one out of the blue car and put it in. No change. Then tried the transfer case. Same result. Now in the process of swapping coils/wires/plugs, but it has been raining for 2 days. It COULD be the transmission, but I'm kind of doubtful. Engine runs beautiful in neutral or park. Any attempt to accelerate under load is met with stuttering.
    3. Alto Works needs a good bit of work. That will be a more extensive wrap job, if I find I can even do it myself effectively, and has non-working fuel and temp gauges.

Pretty sure the BMW will need next to nothing, but gotta wait on that title.

Pajero is on a truck headed for CA now.
    Could that stuttering be the torque converter? On my Lincoln Mark VIII I cured that with a fluid change and a quart of Lube Guard. Cured it for the next 40k miles which is when I sold it.

Ha ha, my phone is so low tech that it has a hand crank on the side.😂

I thought you just climbed up the telephone pole to make calls...

Only for long distance.😆

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

Michaell said:

That is a very nice red. Up until now only Mazda had a red that looked that good.
    If the truck red is the one I've seen, it is very nice but it isn't all that similar to Mazda's Soul Red but is a shade darker. My ATS is Red Obsession Tricoat and I happened to park next to a red Mazda one time. Those two colors are pretty much identical.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@qbrozen said:
    definitely going to buy cars here. As soon as my master plate arrives, I can register with Manheim. I can't survive on imports given my limited storage capacity. I need cars I can turn quicker.

Gotcha. That’s when the real fun begins.

I sense a watchQBgo youtube channel in the future.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

tjc78 said:

Brand new 2023 Camry SE…. Come on Toyota do better

Toyota and Hyundai/Kia are schizophrenic in that respect. Some are key start while others are push button.
    We rented what was supposed to be a Mazda SUV for spring break. Arrived to a Kia with one key fob nonetheless. No push to start. It rode well but no blind spot detection.
    ab348 said:

Michaell said:

If the truck red is the one I've seen, it is very nice but it isn't all that similar to Mazda's Soul Red but is a shade darker. My ATS is Red Obsession Tricoat and I happened to park next to a red Mazda one time. Those two colors are pretty much identical.

This is the Mazda red I like:

I don’t know how it would look in a side by side with Chevy or Caddy reds but I like it when I see it in person.

that is the color of my daughter's CX 30. I really like it. especially on a Miata.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Yes, that is the Soul Red that Mazda has offered for years and years. That’s the one that is virtually identical to mine.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Soul Crystal Red. Tried to talk my son into this color when he bought his 3 Turbo HB; alas he went gray (the car, he's only 24).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

stickguy said:

that is the color of my daughter's CX 30. I really like it. especially on a Miata.

My nephew just bought a CX-5 in that same color

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    That's a great color.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Could that stuttering be the torque converter? On my Lincoln Mark VIII I cured that with a fluid change and a quart of Lube Guard. Cured it for the next 40k miles which is when I sold it.

Maybe.
    Gonna try plugs/wires/coils
    Then maybe what you said. Trans fluid is nice and red though. But ya never know.

the new CRV has a red similar to that. Looks really sharp. I suggested it to my soon to be DIL when she just got hers (and she had a red Fit before it) but she wanted the dark gray.

qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Maybe.

Then maybe what you said. Trans fluid is nice and red though. But ya never know.

I watch way too much pine hollow auto diagnostics (and a few others) on Youtube. Get a fancy scope and start doing wave forms diagnostics!

qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Maybe.

Mine was too. You can never be sure if fixes are transferable between brands but for that old 95’ Lincoln it was the standard dealer fix for complaints about shudder on upshifting. For me it felt like a dragging and vibration going into overdrive.

I learned about it from forums otherwise my mechanic was preparing to do a torque converter replacement.

stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Maybe.

I watch way too much pine hollow auto diagnostics (and a few others) on Youtube. Get a fancy scope and start doing wave forms diagnostics!

He might as well, he’s got a full shop now. About time he started filling it with tools.

oh man, I need that. And to get a bottle for my BIL> he will love it.

The other wines in the Adobe Road winery racing series are “Redline” and “the 24”

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    stickguy said:

the new CRV has a red similar to that. Looks really sharp. I suggested it to my soon to be DIL when she just got hers (and she had a red Fit before it) but she wanted the dark gray.

————————————————
    So your son likes older women.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    actually, she must. Her car, her choice.

he has a shocking bright blue Audi.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    He might as well, he’s got a full shop now. About time he started filling it with tools.

Gotta wait for the new building. I’m definitely anxious to spread out a bit.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    mjfloyd1 said:

Manual transmission guys- a friend had some wine at dinner called SHIFT

Gotta be careful with those shadows! With a name like that, it could get really unappealing really fast!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Local dealer has this on their lot and its taking all of my willpower not to drag hubby down there with Gremlin to trade it in. Only roadblocks are 1. Gremlin is paid for, 2. I just put a really expensive canopy on Gremlin, and 3. we have spent several thousand dollars getting Gremlin reliable and it only has 125k on it so should be good for a while. That doesn't count the new stereo/speakers, back up cam, heated seats, and a few other things I've had done to the truck.

https://www.swickardpalmer.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_3500HD-Crew_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_High_Country-PALMER-AK/1GC4KYEY5KF142580

Quite the beast. But it’s a nice color.

@akangl said:
    Local dealer has this on their lot and its taking all of my willpower not to drag hubby down there with Gremlin to trade it in. Only roadblocks are 1. Gremlin is paid for, 2. I just put a really expensive canopy on Gremlin, and 3. we have spent several thousand dollars getting Gremlin reliable and it only has 125k on it so should be good for a while. That doesn't count the new stereo/speakers, back up cam, heated seats, and a few other things I've had done to the truck.

https://www.swickardpalmer.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_3500HD-Crew_Cab_Long_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_High_Country-PALMER-AK/1GC4KYEY5KF142580

1. WTH is Gremlin?
    2. Is it typical for dealers there to put up pics of their inventory absolutely filthy?

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Only $199 doc fee.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited March 2023

@qbrozen said:

@akangl said:

1. WTH is Gremlin?
    2. Is it typical for dealers there to put up pics of their inventory absolutely filthy?

Gremlin is her Dodge tow truck that has been unreliable until they put lots of work and $ into it

I’d suspect that first picture was the trade in picture but I’d think it’s probably more or less normal with all the snow in Alaska.