Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    April Fools

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I have only seen a few Mavericks on the road. Yesterday I saw a light blue Maverick loaded down with bags of mulch leaving Lowes. The driver had the bags loaded high and above the bed. I couldn’t see if they were secured or what trim it was as I was getting ready to turn and merge into traffic.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,317
    The only for sure April Fools story I've seen so far is that a local brewery was going to switch to beer capsules that you just drop in a glass of water.
    https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2023/04/masthead-brewing-co-to-shift-focus-produce-beer-capsules.html
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,543
    well, they do have powdered beer now (just add water) so might be true!

https://newatlas.com/lifestyle/powdered-beer/

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,165
    edited April 2023
    The Jeep thing is real and not April Fool's, right? With all the outdoorsy cosplay I see in Spokane (and somehow seems even stronger west of the mountains), I can imagine more than a few would sell here.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

But I like it! Evolution of the Levi’s denim version from the 70s

But you like everything... B)

It would not have been bad if they had limited it to the seat upholstery/door cards. But the dashboard is a bridge too far.
    ————————————————
    I agree. Where does this type of design come from? Do you know anyone who would buy something like that? I don’t think I do but I’ll ask around to be sure.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

The only for sure April Fools story I've seen so far is that a local brewery was going to switch to beer capsules that you just drop in a glass of water.
    https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2023/04/masthead-brewing-co-to-shift-focus-produce-beer-capsules.html

————————————————
    I thought half the fun was hearing the “pop” when you opened the can. And cans are easy to count so you know when to stop. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    kyfdx said:

April Fools

————————————————
    How many do you think will show up in here today?

The trouble with April Fools Day is I don’t know what’s for real and what’s not. However, I know the gas pump ain’t kidding when it says 65 bucks for a fill up of premium. :#

jmonroe
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Speaking of Hyundai/Genesis…I was traveling this past week for work and asked one of my co-workers how he’s liking his GV80. Another co-worker piped in and said how he has the Hyundai version of it, the Palisade.

I think 10 years ago I would have felt the need to point out the misstatement - different platforms, RWD vs FWD, completely different engines, etc. (unlike say, a QX60 vs Pathfinder). But, I’m maturing and thought it’d be petty, so bit my tongue. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278
    kyfdx said:

April Fools

Yep. The @April fools at the bottom

The moose in the rear view mirror😂
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

CarMax is offering me $1k over what I paid for the Elantra N 7 months ago ($35k). And who says the market isn’t still wild and crazy.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    In June, need to take the Accent into Hyundai for a couple of recalls. We got a notice in the mail in February so it'll most likely be me taking it over there. Luckily, it's right across the street from where we live currently. My kid still uses our address as her legal address just to make things easier I guess. My wife is on all her accounts so after my kid signs off on her bills, my wife just pays them from their account. My wife has always been into the details that's why I used to let her handle all the finances but once I retired back in 2012, decided to take back some of the responsibility so I know exactly where we stand.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Saw a couple of vehicle transporters on the Florida turnpike yesterday & both were carrying Hyundai products. Saw a few of the current Kona models so figure they haven't started producing the new 2024 model. But not sure if they'll even be produced in the United States as they may come from Korea at first. Am quite excited to see one when they hit the ground. Really think it could replace my Golf by years end as I still like buying during the last week of the year if possible. The last few vehicles were bought in the first half of December but would like to wait a bit with the next one if I can. As with the Audi, we bought early before all the colors were available so we only had a choice of white over black, which we bought, or black over black, which I really didn't want.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

breld said:

No April fools…all vehicles in my garage are registered with permanent plates as of yesterday. :D

————————————————
    That’s the biggest April Fools story I’ve heard so far today.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664

@oldfamer50,
    What are the recalls for?

One on the Kia was for some emissions stuff and one on the Mustang was for a possible backup camera malfunction. The other two I can’t remember but it was minor stuff that I wasn’t in a hurry to fix.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,384

CarMax is offering me $1k over what I paid for the Elantra N 7 months ago ($35k). And who says the market isn’t still wild and crazy.

Not that you are checking :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    au1994 said:

- I can’t make this one up…when discussing the Acura Vigor a guy swore it had a V-5. I just had to walk away…

Well, he was half right. It did have a 5 cylinder engine, but inline.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

@28firefighter said:

Including taxes and fees?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@breld said:
    No April fools…all vehicles in my garage are registered with permanent plates as of yesterday. :D

The joke part is where you wrote “permanent.”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,317
    it's sort of like Lifetime Warranty. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

No. fair call out. If I was able to get that on trade elsewhere then I’d get a tax credit and actually come out ahead. No chance I’d sell it outright because I need a car.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited April 2023
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

But I like it! Evolution of the Levi’s denim version from the 70s

But you like everything... B)

It would not have been bad if they had limited it to the seat upholstery/door cards. But the dashboard is a bridge too far.
    10-4.
    I could like the seats. But the dash and the moose are too much.

Still with some of the Jeeps I've seen, it's a vehicle for everyone to show their
    uniqueness.

But like someone pointed out, there's an April fool at the bottom.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

————————————————-
    Since you brought that up, I’m sure what @breld pays in taxes and fees in 2 or 3 years could buy a decent car for a high school kid maybe even us if we weren’t that picky.

jmonroe
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090

Being the renowned curmudgeon that I am, I refuse to acknowledge that dubious date and its associated victimization. 😬

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    jmonroe1 said:

qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

————————————————-
    Since you brought that up, I’m sure what @breld pays in taxes and fees in 2 or 3 years could buy a decent car for a high school kid maybe even us if we weren’t that picky.

jmonroe

@breld always gets the trade-in sales tax credit. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Dammit I want a Lotus!

Anyway, I’m the high bidder on a Maserati. I know that won’t stick, though. Not by a long shot.

On my way out the door to work. Boss called yesterday and asked if I could work. Have to move a bunch of vehicles from Delray Beach to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Was at that airport twice on Friday as were a few other crews so guessing they need inventory down there. Hopefully it won't be a long day as we're starting at 9 and think we'll be done by 3:30 or so. Don't really mind since I missed those couple of days last week.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278

@imidazol97 said:
    10-4.
    I could like the seats. But the dash and the moose are too much.

Still with some of the Jeeps I've seen, it's a vehicle for everyone to show their
    uniqueness.

I posted it and I put April fools at the bottom

I’d rather have the NSX next to the lotus. At least I would fit in that.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I'm not sure about the Marlboro paint scheme on the Testarossa, either. Was the owner wearing a cowboy hat?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,165
    I assume the Testarossa thing is a wrap for some insta-addicted look at me event?
    period race car?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,505
    ab348 said:

Being the renowned curmudgeon that I am . . .

Well, I see a kindred in you, but I think there are more than a few others of us who can at least claim to be curmudgeons.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    This seems like a huge move against consumers. Are GM execs infuriated at the idea that a ten year old car might acquire or maintain modern infotainment just because its owner bought a new phone?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/03/gm-confirms-its-dropping-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-from-2024-evs/
    seems like a dumb idea. And I mostly use car play for google maps (OK, only for that) and occasionally Spotify. So the car would still have it, but only for 8 years? And I don't trust them to keep it updated as well as the phone.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356

@corvette said:
    This seems like a huge move against consumers. Are GM execs infuriated at the idea that a ten year old car might acquire or maintain modern infotainment just because its owner bought a new phone?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/03/gm-confirms-its-dropping-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-from-2024-evs/

That’s as bad as when BMW was charging for CarPlay- along with a subscription fee.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356

I found a 2016 JK Rubicon; only 64k miles and a full service history. Heated seats and navigation. Hope to look at it tomorrow.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,920

No range anxiety at all. :p

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@tjc78 - I'm assuming 12% will easily get you home. I'm not familiar with the modern NEV/golf cart market, but I think I'm biased towards the old-school gasoline ones because the engines are no more complicated than a lawn mower. This probably goes back to hearing nightmarish stories about the old electric golf carts with a bank of lead acid batteries which had to have their water constantly topped off, and eventually, even with all of that tending, the entire bank of batteries would have to be replaced ($$$). I'm assuming the cost of ownership on those was well above that of a gasoline powered equivalent.
    should serve him well for a number of years. Another 3/25,000 or so on the BtoB warranty is nice too.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,258
    stickguy said:

should serve him well for a number of years. Another 3/25,000 or so on the BtoB warranty is nice too.

Yeah, we looked that up, so he's in good shape.

I think my sister may have snapped out of her "it's gotta be a luxury brand" mentality.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I think my sister may have snapped out of her "it's gotta be a luxury brand" mentality.
    see if she can convince my wife if we ever need to replace the RDX.

I bought a ford. never thought I was going to do that!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,258
    stickguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

see if she can convince my wife if we ever need to replace the RDX.

I bought a ford. never thought I was going to do that!
    Don't get me wrong - she loves her Volvo. Not sure she is giving that up, anytime soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4