Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,314
    tifighter said:

Aaaaannnnddd one for @nyccarguy -

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-honda-prelude-29/

This seems like a nice one.

Impressive car for sure. Glad mine is in the shop being worked on as we speak. I CANNOT wait to drive it again!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,688
    tifighter said:

breld said:

@stickguy said:

and, discovered this today at my local dealer. Sharp! If anyone wants to put a deposit down, I would be happy to shoot down and give it a test drive for you!

noticeably absent is the actual adjusted price they want for it.

https://www.mohawkhonda.com/inventory/new-2023-honda-civic-type-r-type-r-fwd-4d-hatchback-jhmfl5g48px001324/

Ugh. Needs a spoilerectomy.

Done…

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g43554297/2024-acura-integra-type-s-revealed-gallery/
    @breld So are you on a list somewhere for one of these yet?

Yup - I'm told I had the second deposit in at my Acura dealership, but who knows for sure. We shall see.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,563
    breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

@stickguy said:

and, discovered this today at my local dealer. Sharp! If anyone wants to put a deposit down, I would be happy to shoot down and give it a test drive for you!

https://www.mohawkhonda.com/inventory/new-2023-honda-civic-type-r-type-r-fwd-4d-hatchback-jhmfl5g48px001324/

Done…

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g43554297/2024-acura-integra-type-s-revealed-gallery/
    Yup - I'm told I had the second deposit in at my Acura dealership, but who knows for sure. We shall see.

I get the appeal.

When speaking to the BMW dealer peeps yesterday, they mentioned they had 10 allocations for the year for a M2, and 18 on their list. I think it's going to do just fine.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,287
    breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

@stickguy said:

Done…

Are they guaranteeing a price? Or at least, no markup?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,223
    Gorgeous BMW convertible. I would not mind having that. Being a lifetime CA car is a plus. Being there now a minus.

I lean towards a sports car like a Z3, but this would be more practical I guess. And probably my wife would be happier with it. So I guess that means, I should not ask her first.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

tifighter said:

breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

@stickguy said:

Done…

I get the appeal.

When speaking to the BMW dealer peeps yesterday, they mentioned they had 10 allocations for the year for a M2, and 18 on their list. I think it's going to do just fine.

I did ask one of my local dealers about allocations, and they said it was likely a year or more out if you put your name down now for an M2.

It's not that I like it so much better than the previous version...but M2C's still seem to be going for right around $60k (maybe high-$50k's) with reasonable miles. So assuming you're ordering at MSRP, a new one seems like a good deal.

breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

@stickguy said:

Done…

Are they guaranteeing a price? Or at least, no markup?

MSRP plus a package they add (something like all-weather mats, tint and clear mask) for about a grand.

I don't like it, but given the market I'll take it.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,287
    edited April 2023
    breld said:

MSRP plus a package they add (something like all-weather mats, tint and clear mask) for about a grand.

That seems fair given that at least you're getting something for the markup fee.

Really curious to see how this gets priced - if they bring it in under $50k I think they're going to have a popular vehicle on their hands.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    the Civic R stickers for a little under $46K. so keeping it under $50k would be tight, based on the difference in the Si to the Integra. But a heck of a well equipped semi-luxury performance car for the $.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,098
    The Prius Prime smashes the Integra in 0-60 and matches it in the 1/4 mile time.
    Both slow @15.3. That Int-S better be something special for that money.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I just don't think there will be as much gap between the Type R and Type S as there is in other comparable Honda and Acura products.

I think it'll be viewed as the more raw, track-ready Honda versus the somewhat softer and feature rich Acura.

I'm guessing a $3-4k premium, so $48-49k. Starts with a "4" even with destination.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,645

breld said:

That seems fair given that at least you're getting something for the markup fee.

Really curious to see how this gets priced - if they bring it in under $50k I think they're going to have a popular vehicle on their hands.
    That's what the Cape dealer did for the X3, instead of just $995 ADM, it was for Mop & Glo. But, gotta say, after 5 months, still looks shiny. Of course, so does my A7 with $9 NuFinish...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,882
    stickguy said:

Am I the only person that cares about the overall driving experience and real-world driving, instead of 0-60 numbers often requiring clutch dumps or brake torquing to replicate?

X2!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

The article I skimmed said that driving experience wasn't too good either.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,318
    breld said:

@stickguy said:

Done…

The pipes are a little much but otherwise, sign me up! Hatch functionality? Yes, please! Power? Yes, please! The nostalgia of driving an Integra? Yes, please!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

tifighter said:
    Gotta love an E46 in any form.

stickguy said:

Am I the only person that cares about the overall driving experience and real-world driving, instead of 0-60 numbers often requiring clutch dumps or brake torquing to replicate?

In a word, no. I get just as caught up in it as the next guy but my favorite driving experience was my ZHP convertible. Even for the day not a rocket off the line but that I6 just pulled and pulled and pulled when prodded. Cornered as if on rails even though it was a convertible.

Going to bang my head for selling it now…

one thing I remember from test driving a 2001 525i (I got a lot of grief for looking at the baby 6) was coming off an on ramp to the highway and it accelerated from 30-70 incredibly quickly and smoothly. That thing just pulled at upper rpms. Stickshift of course.

Don't hold me to this, but I don't see me buying anything not RWD based in the future.
    That's what I grew up with and FWD and even FWD based AWD don't feel the same.

@au1994 said:
    The pipes are a little much but otherwise, sign me up! Hatch functionality? Yes, please! Power? Yes, please! The nostalgia of driving an Integra? Yes, please!

Agree 100% on the tailpipes. Would have been a nice change from the Civic.

got a surprise today. Ford apparently has figured out how to schedule. 2 months ago they assigned me today as my build date, and I just saw on the tracker that they actually built it, It is now awaiting shipping to the dealer. No clue how long that will take now (last time it took a while).

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,350

@stickguy said:
    got a surprise today. Ford apparently has figured out how to schedule. 2 months ago they assigned me today as my build date, and I just saw on the tracker that they actually built it, It is now awaiting shipping to the dealer. No clue how long that will take now (last time it took a while).

————————————————
    One thing at a time. Next to fix is their shipping time. I’m sure you’ll let us know if its gotten any better.

I can’t remember what your latest plans are now…keep or flip?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,707
    stickguy said:

OK, I am just going to go out on a limb here, and say that you can to any cars and coffee, anywhere, and have the only one.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/custom-1960-ford-step-van-2001-dodge-ram-3500/

Some nice finds! I love that bread van and the squarebody you posted after it. You almost got me lost in the BaT vortex.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,809

@stickguy said:

I wouldn’t own any of my current cars if I only cared about straight line acceleration, but I won’t claim it does not hold some importance. I like my WRX as an overall package, but if it took 7 secs to hit 60, the overall package is negatively affected to where I’d likely consider something different in place of it.

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2023

@jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

————————————————
    One thing at a time. Next to fix is their shipping time. I’m sure you’ll let us know if its gotten any better.

I can’t remember what your latest plans are now…keep or flip?

jmonroe

Depends how much I like it. And what someone would offer me on it! And of course, what I could get instead.

But right now plan is to keep.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,452
    stickguy said:

Refresh my memory, how long has it been since you ordered it. The salesman at the Ford dealer just rolled his eyes when I mentioned wait times for a Maverick.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

tifighter said:

Still sitting at $14K with 8 hours & change to go. Is this a no reserve car?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 232,930
    nyccarguy said:

tifighter said:

Still sitting at $14K with 8 hours & change to go. Is this a no reserve car?
    Reserve info isn't disclosed. If "No Reserve" isn't in the title, then it started with a reserve.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I don’t think this will be covered under the gorilla glass warranty:

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,046
    Ouch

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,913
    Must have encountered an even stronger Gorilla.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Don't hold me to this, but I don't see me buying anything not RWD based in the future.
    That's what I grew up with and FWD and even FWD based AWD don't feel the same.

I agree. My current Wrangler, the 2019 Tacoma, & 2015 Infiniti were all built on RWD based platforms. I agree it is a nicer drive all around.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,521
    Having had some seat time in a Civic Si...

- I don't think it's so loud that it drowns out audio or conversation.
    - It drives quite nicely for what it is and the shift action is great. Clutch is a little light though.
    - It needs 25-35 more HP, which seems to be achievable through aftermarket support if one so desires.

I also find myself driving more conservatively these days, whether it be age or other things, but take a similar view as @breld.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

- It drives quite nicely for what it is and the shift action is great. Clutch is a little light though.
    - It needs 25-35 more HP, which seems to be achievable through aftermarket support if one so desires.

I also find myself driving more conservatively these days, whether it be age or other things, but take a similar view as @breld.

How's your Prelude BTW?

I know there are a lot of ways to define performance (0-60, quarter mile, 30-50 passing time, etc), but one metric I've always used is "pounds per HP". Curb weight divided by HP.

Of the cars that I've owned over the years, the vehicle that had the best power to weight ratio was our 2005 Saturn VUE, with our current Outback just a bit behind.

Neither of these are great when compared to other vehicles, I'll admit.

I also think that EVs are inherently faster because of the max torque @ 0 RPM feature.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,521
    edited April 2023
    nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

How's your Prelude BTW?
    Still in storage unfortunately and travel for work and family has left me no time to go and get it out. It's not due for any scheduled maintenance this year so after I take care of a few things on the BMW and we figure out what we're doing with the Acura, I may look to have some paint work done on it. Over the years I've toyed with the idea of putting the OEM body kit on because I think it greatly enhances the appearance so if I get the paint work done, I may also move forward with that.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    pensfan83 said:

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

How's your Prelude BTW?
    Still in storage unfortunately and travel for work and family has left me no time to go and get it out. It's not due for any scheduled maintenance this year so after I take care of a few things on the BMW and we figure out what we're doing with the Acura, I may look to have some paint work done on it. Over the years I've toyed with the idea of putting the OEM body kit on because I think it greatly enhances the appearance so if I get the paint work done, I may also move forward with that.
    On the Prelude Facebook groups, that seems to be one thing that is highly sought after. From what I read, it is something that Honda no longer produces.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,243
    stickguy said:

That's why I like my C43 so much- it's a comfortable cruiser that handles very well and is also entertainingly quick. And then there's the previously mentioned sleeper factor.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

stickguy said:

Refresh my memory, how long has it been since you ordered it. The salesman at the Ford dealer just rolled his eyes when I mentioned wait times for a Maverick.
    original order? Just short of 18 months. I think I ordered in on Halloween, 2021. For the replacement (2023 MY) order, 7 months tomorrow.

breld said:

I've never been one to push my cars anywhere near the limit and have become more and more conservative in my driving as I've aged. Within reason, I still can't resist the power upgrade when available. :)

sure it doesn't hurt to have (usually) but especially for those of us on a budget, is it worth the cost for something we would likely never use? I say usually because there are some cars that are probably overpowered for what the chassis can handle, and putting yourself in the ditch on a damp road because you did not feather the gas enough is not fun! And not sure I want a car that I am a little bit afraid of!

using BMW as an example. I have driven (test style) a few (3, X3) and found the 4 banger more than quick enough for anything I would do with it. The 6 does sound a bit better, but costs a lot more to buy and run. Plus it seems like overkill, when my son (who drives an S4) said the 4.0M X3 almost scared him at how fast it moved.

Just checked and my former Maverick (at Carvana) had another price drop. They seem to go in $400-500 increments. Now can be yours for $38,590. Still a decent profit in it for them.

I have noticed they are still selling them at a decent pace. Tend to have 4-5 Lariats in pending purchase status at any given time.

45 minutes to go on the 2000 Type SH BAT auction. Currently hovering at $15K.

@breld (and wife), @jpp75 and I are headed to the Denver Auto Show tonight.

A lot of brands won't be there - BMW, Infiniti, Cadillac among them. There is, however, a small EV test track set up in the convention center. Wonder what they'll offer?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I'm trying to make sense of this.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ford-f-350-3/
    the truck, or the eye watering price? Though I imagine if you found a rusty relic truck and wanted to recreate this, it will still break your bank account.

Michaell said:

A lot of brands won't be there - BMW, Infiniti, Cadillac among them. There is, however, a small EV test track set up in the convention center. Wonder what they'll offer?

Rides in an electric car is my guess. B)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,452
    Michaell said:

The NY auto show had most EV manufacturers except Tesla. Spoiler note: you don’t get to drive them, only ride.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible