Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,226
    and for now I will resist the temptation to run it through Carvana. At least until I get the title in the mail!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,884
    stickguy said:

and for now I will resist the temptation to run it through Carvana. At least until I get the title in the mail!

Will you add a cargo cover and other accessories like you did previously?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    Congrats and good luck with it @stickguy.

Nothing wrong with having a truck that can keep beer cold in the Summer and the Winter. However, where you live now you might have to heat the bed in the Winter to keep the beer from freezing. Might want to ask @oldfarmer50 how he handles that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    sda said:

stickguy said:

Will you add a cargo cover and other accessories like you did previously?
    I took my cover off the old truck and will install that once I decide what to do with the bed. Probably going to get the spray in again, but I have not priced that yet. Might go with a bed rug instead but still trying to decide.

those were actually the only 2 add-ons I did. This one I think I will get tailgate letters too.

Long day though. About 9 hours actually driving and about 500 miles. With a purchase in the middle. Very tiring. I ain’t as young as I used to be!

@stickguy said:
    Long day though. About 9 hours actually driving and about 500 miles. With a purchase in the middle. Very tiring. I ain’t as young as I used to be!

————————————————
    Prove you’re tough. Be the first to post in the morning.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,708
    edited May 2023
    Sounds like a respectable day on the road, @stickguy! Congratulations on finally wrangling the second Maverick!

And, of course, pics (of more than the instrument cluster) or it didn't happen. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

————————————————
    Prove you’re tough. Be the first to post in the morning.

jmonroe

Sure.

@xwesx said:
    Sounds like a respectable day on the road, @stickguy! Congratulations on finally wrangling the second Maverick!

And, of course, pics (of more than the instrument cluster) or it didn't happen. ;)

First it needs a bath. Already blasted by the finest NYS thruway bugs.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,920
    stickguy said:

First leg of the trip home. Stories to follow. This was traffic getting out of philly, a little highway then some back roads to get to the pizza place we like.

The big surprise for me is that Ford apparently went back to the old 2-speed Fordomatic transmission. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,455
    stickguy said:

purchase experience overall really good (same dealer I got the 1st one from, and I assume where Corvette ordered from, though that dealer has 2 locations not far from each other). well organized, papers all set, in and out quick from finance with zero upsell. And nice that not only do they discount heavily, they add nothing at all to the car.

only problem was when we looked it over before signing found a couple of chips on the rear door (Looks like someone drop a tool maybe?). so that was some back and forth with the salesguy/manager. Ended up getting touched up (after the paint shop actually mixed up some paint since they did not have touchup paint in stock). Not the best job, but I did get to keep the large amount of extra paint. will likely find a good detail shop that can fix the chip right.

if I was local I would have either left the car or brought it back another time to make their shop do it. But decided to just deal with it myself at some point if the defect bothers me. We needed to get back on the road anyway so I will just redirect some of my savings from the 1st flip to it.

hard to argue with the deal. with the dealer below invoice discount, and the Ford private offer (that they quickly got straightened out since my address had changed) I paid about $4,500 less than the $34,320 sticker. OTD, with NY tax and Doc and DMV fees, right about $1,500 back of MSRP. Basically a reverse ADM!

That’s a great deal you got. You had to wait what, 15 months from order to delivery? Whatever, it’s worth it not to have a dealer try to slap a bunch of useless, overpriced added junk on it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,733

Congratulations Stick! Great color.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited May 2023
    jmonroe1 said:

Congrats and good luck with it @stickguy.

Nothing wrong with having a truck that can keep beer cold in the Summer and the Winter. However, where you live now you might have to heat the bed in the Winter to keep the beer from freezing. Might want to ask @oldfarmer50 how he handles that.

jmonroe

You drink it fast.🥳

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

farmer, actually almost 19 months from when I first ordered the hybrid (I ordered this one about 2 months before the Ecoboost arrived the last week of 2021). Some people have waited longer but I had one to use while I was waiting, so didn't really care that I did!

the color is really nice in person, and looks good in the son. Even growing on the wife, though she still prefers a darker blue. At least this one is noticeable, and easy to find in a parking lot.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,810
    Well, I've confirmed for myself that the auctions are still NUTS!

Watching Manheim in PA this morn. Had my eye on a few cheap vehicles for a friend's kid. 2 different Foci and an Aveo. All were bid to 2-3x MMR, and the Aveo was even a no sale at $6k bid with a $2600 MMR. WTH?

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:

Watching Manheim in PA this morn. Had my eye on a few cheap vehicles for a friend's kid. 2 different Foci and an Aveo. All were bid to 2-3x MMR, and the Aveo was even a no sale at $6k bid with a $2600 MMR. WTH?

————————————————
    Maybe you’re getting newbie data or you have newbie jitters.

jmonroe

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,521

I like that blue a lot. Congrats!

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,646
    Congrats, Stick. Loving the color!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

thanks. and thanks. I am glad I went back to a bright color. I still miss my red TLX! The dark gray looked nice on the Maverick but the blue stands out more. and makes it easier to find in a parking lot. and gets compliments.

booked an appointment to get a spray in bedliner next week. decided to just go for that instead of a rug. then I can get the cover back on and start using it to carry stuff that might blow away.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,102
    @stickguy,
    Glad you got your truck and it is living up to your expectations.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,646
    edited May 2023
    Blue, like knowledge, is good.

(As, apparently, is my thumb...)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited May 2023
    snagged a couple of examples of the insanity.
    I'm shocked the Taurus was a No Sale at that price. I think either of these is $4k retail on a good day. Sellers and buyers alike are out of their minds.

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,231
    q, help me out here.

You're now doing this as a business, right? Not a side gig.

You went to all the trouble to get a dealer license, register with the auctions, etc, etc, so you can buy and sell cars, hopefully for a profit.

Then you sit on the sidelines and complain about the prices? How are you going to make any money if you don't buy anything?

I find it hard to believe that "MULLER POWERSPORTS" and "AUTO CITY STL" and "JOE'S PRE OWNED AUTOS LLC" are overpaying.

Isn't is true that something is worth what someone will pay for it?

Not knocking you - you've taken a big leap to do this, and I'm glad you're sharing all the ups and downs with us here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,993
    Is that the Altima era with a time bomb CVT? Seems intact for one that age - stereotypically seen by 5 years old with body damage, zooming up the shoulder on a donut at 110mph.

Taurus might be OK if a 3.0 or if the engine/trans Achilles heel issues have been resolved. Can't imagine any meat on the bone for either unless one is using the BHPH repo business model.

edited May 2023
    qbrozen said:

The company used to send cars down to Mannheim PA but I don’t think we’ve used them recently. The closest I’ve gotten is Harrisburg. Maybe they get sent over from there.

Some of the YT experts explain there is a real shortage of basic older transportation vehicles because nobody is trading them in any longer. They can’t afford new or ever newer used so they’re fixing up what they have and making do.

The Aveos was no sale at $6k? It must have been extreme low mileage. I hope that the Foci was a standard shift.

Have you done a retail comparison on dealer’s lots to see if there is any profit in buying at those prices?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,288
    I wouldn't have bid that kinda money for those sboxes either. hahaha.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited May 2023
    Michaell said:

q, help me out here.

You're now doing this as a business, right? Not a side gig.

You went to all the trouble to get a dealer license, register with the auctions, etc, etc, so you can buy and sell cars, hopefully for a profit.

Then you sit on the sidelines and complain about the prices? How are you going to make any money if you don't buy anything?

I find it hard to believe that "MULLER POWERSPORTS" and "AUTO CITY STL" and "JOE'S PRE OWNED AUTOS LLC" are overpaying.

Isn't is true that something is worth what someone will pay for it?

Not knocking you - you've taken a big leap to do this, and I'm glad you're sharing all the ups and downs with us here.

I see it like this: There are countless idiots out there. Dealers taking losses, dealers sitting on inventory indefinitely, dealers who keep "no sale"ing inventory at auctions. They've made their bed and don't want to sleep in it. Right now, it is a self-perpetuating industry where they keep selling to each other.

You've also got, as stated above, BHPH. I'm not one of those.

Most times, even if I'm unsure, I just look on cargurus. There are literally hundreds of Altimas for under $5k, for example. So how will that dealer make any money? I have no idea. He probably doesn't, either. There are probably a fair number who have your same mindset and think "if it is getting bid this high, it must be worth it." I just know I refuse to get stuck holding the bag.

I'm lucky right now in that I don't NEED to make a living this way. I don't need to (and can't) work in volume. There are plenty of small dealers who go ahead and make a few hundred bucks a car because they have no other choice.

My driveway is full, so I know I've bought some. Looks like maybe none will come from Manheim, though. lol.

Blue, like knowledge, is good.

(As, apparently, is my thumb...)

Looks a bit like your film was melted in the lower corner of that image! Thirty years ago, that would have been a real possibility. :D

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Well, bother. I didn't consider just how dirty my car is after the winter and not being driven for the last six weeks. I swear it didn't look quite so bad when I was installing this last night. However, I, unlike @stickguy, have no shame....

I hereby present my Q7's newest feature:

@qbrozen said:
    I see it like this: There are countless idiots out there. Dealers taking losses, dealers sitting on inventory indefinitely, dealers who keep "no sale"ing inventory at auctions. They've made their bed and don't want to sleep in it. Right now, it is a self-perpetuating industry where they keep selling to each other.

You've also got, as stated above, BHPH. I'm not one of those.

Most times, even if I'm unsure, I just look on cargurus. There are literally hundreds of Altimas for under $5k, for example. So how will that dealer make any money? I have no idea. He probably doesn't, either. There are probably a fair number who have your same mindset and think "if it is getting bid this high, it must be worth it." I just know I refuse to get stuck holding the bag.

I'm lucky right now in that I don't NEED to make a living this way. I don't need to (and can't) work in volume. There are plenty of small dealers who go ahead and make a few hundred bucks a car because they have no other choice.

My driveway is full, so I know I've bought some. Looks like maybe none will come from Manheim, though. lol.

————————————————
    FWIW, I agree with you but then again I’m not in the car biz (I’m sorta in the house flipping biz) and look where that has gotten me. :o

What I do know is, you can’t take the attitude that “misery loves company” and jump into the same empty lake. That will put you out of business and make you miserable for a long time.

You have to keep plugging away with what is best for you.

I wish you luck.

jmonroe

Q, maybe you can make a contact with a dealer to get trades they don't want directly from them, so they avoid the auction hassle and fees. I know of dealers (at least in the old days) that got their inventory that way.

stickguy said:

Q, maybe you can make a contact with a dealer to get trades they don't want directly from them, so they avoid the auction hassle and fees. I know of dealers (at least in the old days) that got their inventory that way.

not a bad thought. I do have some I could reach out to. Of course, they'd have to understand I'm here only for weird stuff. lol.

got in the spending money mode after yesterday, and went ahead and paid off the RDX too. So in some unknown number of weeks (or in someone's case, months or quarters) I should get 2 titles in the mail.

first time being auto debt free in a long time (counting loans and leases). Should stay this way for a long time. Hopefully forever, unless some too good to pass up lease deal drops in our lap! Or I decide to do something stupid, which is also a distinct possibility.

thought about just letting it ride (22 more payments) but we want to close out that bank account (only thing still happening with it was paying this loan) so easier to pay it off than to change the direct debit. not like the checking account money left to cover the loan was earning much interest either.

that just leaves about 23 months left of the mortgage if I don't pay any more down early and hit the milestone I told my wife she could not retire before. So now I will have to think of another one to keep her working!

I did tell the wife today that she needs to drive the Maverick a few times to get used to it, and make sure she does not mind driving it. So we can start looking for something "fun" to replace her car. Might be a tough sell. will have to get creative with that one. Would have to be at worst revenue neutral though (can't spend more than we get for her car).

wish me luck with that endeavor

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,564
    Impressive all around -

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I would like to see the Carfax on that ProMaster!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,920
    stickguy said:

I did tell the wife today that she needs to drive the Maverick a few times to get used to it, and make sure she does not mind driving it. So we can start looking for something "fun" to replace her car. Might be a tough sell. will have to get creative with that one. Would have to be at worst revenue neutral though (can't spend more than we get for her car).

wish me luck with that endeavor

Not to be a dark cloud on your horizon, but I predict she will conclude it is too big and not nice enough for her.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@stickguy, I think the best way to keep your wife working is to get in debt with a car you’ve been admiring since childhood. That should do it unless she’s heartless. If that’s the case you’re on your own.

jmonroe

@explorerx4 said:
    I would like to see the Carfax on that ProMaster!

————————————————
    You do know you pay a premium for more than 20 pages, right?

jmonroe

tifighter said:

Impressive all around -

Wow, 515k miles! I would like to see the maintenance records. Must be thicker than a phone book (you youngsters look up what that is).

“ I see it like this: There are countless idiots out there. Dealers taking losses, dealers sitting on inventory indefinitely, dealers who keep "no sale"ing inventory at auctions. They've made their bed and don't want to sleep in it. Right now, it is a self-perpetuating industry where they keep selling to each other. ”

Can it be that simple, dealers got so used to selling to cash drunk suckers that they can’t accept the flip side of the market disruption? That a very depressing prospect to someone who is looking for a modest vehicle but runs into dealers who still think it’s 2021.

This reminds me of the period right after cash for clunkers ruined the used car business for years.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,320
    tifighter said:

Impressive all around -

Them damn Dodges don’t last.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

That's actually a Fiat.

@au1994 said:
    Them damn Dodges don’t last.

————————————————
    When you change engines and trannies often enough they do.

jmonroe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,733
    edited May 2023
    Verdict on the Wagoneer. It’s an extended version, Level III so pretty equipped. It just swallows the miles up. Did 500 today at 75+ the entire way and feel totally relaxed. Seats were a touch firm, but great for a long ride. Alpine stereo was good, AC kept me cold at 105 ambient temps.

Power at lower speeds was very ample, but it was kinda slow above 80 ( I know……).

In all if I was in the market for a luxury barge, I’d 100% consider it.

In many ways it drove like my truck. I’d wager somehow they are related. The 8 speed trans must be because it’s mapped the same way and has that same jerkiness between 3-4 my truck does at low speed. All of the dash, climate etc match my truck too. Lastly the air suspension was slick, it handled better when set low.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

well, the big domestic barges (Tahoe, expedition, etc.) were basically just a pick up with a full body, and sometimes a different rear suspension. so quite likely they just slapped a wagon body on the Ram frame.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,191
    jmonroe1 said:

When you change engines and trannies often enough they do.

That reminds me, I still have my great-great-grandpa's axe. We've replaced the blade five times and the handle three times.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247

I took the C43 on a 500 mile jaunt today; mostly interstate but with some intermittent stop-and-go traffic. It averaged 29 mpg at an average speed of 60 mph. Not bad.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive