Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,250

I also spotted a very rare Mustang- an SVT V6 Red Pony Edition:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Finally, my son told me that he’s going to the truck race at North Wilkesboro tomorrow. He’s going to a tailgate party RCR is hosting and then he’ll watch the race from Bubba Wallace’s pit.
    Lucky kid.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,358

@corvette said:
    That reminds me, I still have my great-great-grandpa's axe. We've replaced the blade five times and the handle three times.

————————————————
    Is that really your great-grandpa’s axe or a wannabe as a result of parts replacements over time because your family is cheap? B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@roadburner said:
    I took the C43 on a 500 mile jaunt today; mostly interstate but with some intermittent stop-and-go traffic. It averaged 29 mpg at an average speed of 60 mph. Not bad.

————————————————
    60 MPH? You must be driving around with your foot on the brake in your old age. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    edited May 2023
    One of the coolest Nascar experiences I've had was at Pocono in June 1993.
    We(3 bother in laws and myself) went through the tunnel under the track during the race and came out next to the last pit stall.
    Standing next to the pit wall are Rick Mears and Felix Sabates.
    If that wasn't enough, in for a pit stop came the 40 Mellow Yellow car with Kyle Petty driving.
    He ended up winning the race. It all happened within a few feet of us.
    That was also the day some guy walked out onto the race during the race in turn 1.
    In the end, all I cared about was was that Bill Elliott ended up ahead of Dale Earnhardt(10th and 11th).
    A lot of banter going on during the race. My BIL's were all Earnhardt fans but would have had my back if needed.
    Also made the ride home much calmer. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

I took the C43 on a 500 mile jaunt today; mostly interstate but with some intermittent stop-and-go traffic. It averaged 29 mpg at an average speed of 60 mph. Not bad.

————————————————

60 MPH? You must be driving around with your foot on the brake in your old age. ;)

jmonroe

The slow traffic and a 50 mile stretch of suburban four lane really hurt my average.

@roadburner said:
    The slow traffic and a 50 mile stretch of suburban four lane really hurt my average.

————————————————
    I’m thinking if a known speed demon appeared before you with a lame excuse like that you’d throw them out of your court room with orders to come back with a better story. o:)

jmonroe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,238

Only took 2.5 months, but Carvana finally sold my old truck. Even with the crazy price they paid me for it, they still sold it for $1,000 more.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    qbrozen said:

Well, I've confirmed for myself that the auctions are still NUTS!

Watching Manheim in PA this morn. Had my eye on a few cheap vehicles for a friend's kid. 2 different Foci and an Aveo. All were bid to 2-3x MMR, and the Aveo was even a no sale at $6k bid with a $2600 MMR. WTH?

I just found a place you can go for some cheap deals:

https://youtu.be/t62E9CknOdw

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,025
    stickguy said:

Only took 2.5 months, but Carvana finally sold my old truck. Even with the crazy price they paid me for it, they still sold it for $1,000 more.

They definitely lost money, then.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,929
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

They seem to be good at that.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,321
    tjc78 said:

Verdict on the Wagoneer. It’s an extended version, Level III so pretty equipped. It just swallows the miles up. Did 500 today at 75+ the entire way and feel totally relaxed. Seats were a touch firm, but great for a long ride. Alpine stereo was good, AC kept me cold at 105 ambient temps.

Power at lower speeds was very ample, but it was kinda slow above 80 ( I know……).

In all if I was in the market for a luxury barge, I’d 100% consider it.

In many ways it drove like my truck. I’d wager somehow they are related. The 8 speed trans must be because it’s mapped the same way and has that same jerkiness between 3-4 my truck does at low speed. All of the dash, climate etc match my truck too. Lastly the air suspension was slick, it handled better when set low.

Thanks for the update. Thats right on what I expected!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,737

I looked it up. Like we all suspected, it’s on the same frame as my Ram 1500 which makes sense why it feels similar.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@kyfdx said:

Maybe not. They did nothing but a quick wash, some pictures, and parked it. Never moved locations. So didn’t make a killing but had some net income off of it.

Plus like new dealers they tend to make profit on financing (I think that is their real revenue stream). And their shipping charges are definitely padded.

I’m sure though based on original asking they hoped to make a lot more.

stickguy said:

@kyfdx said:

Maybe not. They did nothing but a quick wash, some pictures, and parked it. Never moved locations. So didn’t make a killing but had some net income off of it.

Plus like new dealers they tend to make profit on financing (I think that is their real revenue stream). And their shipping charges are definitely padded.

No dealer can turn a car with $1000 gross and make money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@stickguy said:

@kyfdx said:

————————————————
    2 years ago this Summer Son #1 decided it was about time he bought a pickup for the flipping biz. Got a big V8 GMC Denali thing with a 6 1/2 foot bed and a lot of goodies. He wouldn’t have bought the luxo beast if he couldn’t have gotten a good business write off.

He looked everywhere for what he wanted and going hundreds of miles out of state wouldn’t have bothered him because he’s done that before for several cars he bought. When he was about to give up and look again in a few weeks he decided to look at Carvana. Bingo, they had several and they even had his first color choice. They shipped it to the vending machine here in the Burgh. I can’t remember where it came from but they had it ready in 2 days.

From the prices he saw on the internet for what he didn’t want, the Carvana price wasn’t bad at all.

As usual, timing is everything.

jmonroe

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,737

I know it’s purely anecdotal but I’ve seen a few horror stories of Carvana’s vehicles not being as described.

Having said that … I assume if you get to it and it’s crap you have the right to roll back the deal.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,193
    I finally finished replacing my bathroom vent fan with one of the Panasonic ultra-quiet models. It's super nice and quiet even on the higher of the two available speed settings, but there were some hurdles along the way caused by the thick 1950s sheetrock (which appears to have a layer of concrete) and my not being able to run the exhaust towards the rear of the house, as I would have preferred, due to an obstruction. I still need to cut a hole in the outside of the siding and run a proper exhaust--it's vented into the attic for now, as was the old one.

@corvette said:
    I finally finished replacing my bathroom vent fan with one of the Panasonic ultra-quiet models. It's super nice and quiet even on the higher of the two available speed settings, but there were some hurdles along the way caused by the thick 1950s sheetrock (which appears to have a layer of concrete) and my not being able to run the exhaust towards the rear of the house, as I would have preferred, due to an obstruction. I still need to cut a hole in the outside of the siding and run a proper exhaust--it's vented into the attic for now, as was the old one.

————————————————
    I have several types of bathroom fans in my house that was built in the mid 70’s. A typical two story colonial from that era. Anyway, the powder room on the first floor has the original fan and you have no trouble hearing that beast but it works just fine. The 2 fans on the second floor are newer but you can still hear them and I like that.

Son #1 installed a very quiet fan when he finished his basement and added a bathroom years ago. He doesn’t like it because it’s so quiet you have to squint to hear it and as a result he finds it running a lot of times when he walks into that bathroom. He’s threatened to pull the plug on it if his sons don’t learn to turn it off but so far he hasn’t followed through on his threat.

Take away from this is super quite isn’t always what you’re looking for with a bathroom fan.

jmonroe

Tell your son to put it on a timer.

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

@kyfdx said:

No dealer can turn a car with $1000 gross and make money.

well, a dealer just sold me one below invoice so they must have made money someplace!

played with the new car a bit today, after reading the owners manual cover to cover.

it has a power display app which was fun to watch. Takes over the entire screen so not something I would keep up, but it has a picture of the truck (even the correct color) and tells you what it is doing, and has colors flowing front or back (green for regen, blue for power output) and tells you if it is running on electric or battery. Not sure what use it is, but a fun party trick.

actually need that to tell, because on the road, I can't tell if the engine is on or off it is so quiet.

still seems to get between 40-43 MPG the way I am driving it (just like I drove the old one) so would probably get really good mileage if I started trying out the hyrpermiler tricks from the forums.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

@kyfdx said:

————————————————

2 years ago this Summer Son #1 decided it was about time he bought a pickup for the flipping biz. Got a big V8 GMC Denali thing with a 6 1/2 foot bed and a lot of goodies. He wouldn’t have bought the luxo beast if he couldn’t have gotten a good business write off.

He looked everywhere for what he wanted and going hundreds of miles out of state wouldn’t have bothered him because he’s done that before for several cars he bought. When he was about to give up and look again in a few weeks he decided to look at Carvana. Bingo, they had several and they even had his first color choice. They shipped it to the vending machine here in the Burgh. I can’t remember where it came from but they had it ready in 2 days.

From the prices he saw on the internet for what he didn’t want, the Carvana price wasn’t bad at all.

As usual, timing is everything.

jmonroe

Unless he was using the truck for his primary family car I don’t see the logic in only having a 61/2’ bed. Does he carry work crews in it? I know Chevy makes a single cab Silverado but I’m sure you have to order and wait like Ford.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@stickguy said:
    Tell your son to put it on a timer.

————————————————
    He’ll probably have to get an electrician to do that. Pulling the plug is easier. o:)

jmonroe

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Unless he was using the truck for his primary family car I don’t see the logic in only having a 61/2’ bed. Does he carry work crews in it? I know Chevy makes a single cab Silverado but I’m sure you have to order and wait like Ford.

————————————————
    One of the reasons he wanted the GMC was because he wanted the
    6 1/2 foot bed with the crew cab. The crew cab was a must and no he doesn’t carry crews around. He said too many pickups only come with a 6 foot bed when you get the crew cab. I asked him why he didn’t go all in and get the 8 foot bed. He said he thought about it until a friend told him he was sorry he did that. Although it was great for hauling, it is a bear to find parking spots.

jmonroe

@corvette said:

————————————————
    I should have mentioned this when I replied to this post the first time.

If you have good attic ventilation (gable and/or ridge vents) I wouldn’t bother about routing the fan exhaust to the outside on the second floor. I know the theory for venting to the outside is because you don’t want an accumulation of humidity in the attic which promotes the growth of mold. But the price you pay for venting to the outside is you lose a LOT of draw from the bathroom when there are longish runs of vent lines from the fan exhaust to the outside. When I replaced my fans on the second floor I cut the existing vent lines about 3 feet long and used a coat hanger attached to the roof truss to hold the vent line about 2 1/2 feet from the second floor ceiling. I checked for mold for months and I didn’t find any and the bathroom fan vents the humidity almost as fast as it is created. Again, you must have good attic ventilation otherwise you will get mold.

jmonroe

There's the rub... attic is conditioned since I had spray foam insulation installed, but I have the upstairs mini-split running 24/7 this time of year, which should help with humidity. I also want it to vent outside because it's the only exhaust fan in the house and the first floor is about 800 square feet, so if I cook something fragrant, could use it for that. I've been cooking outdoors on the gas grill/burner with the nice weather we've had recently.

@corvette said:
    There's the rub... attic is conditioned since I had spray foam insulation installed, but I have the upstairs mini-split running 24/7 this time of year, which should help with humidity. I also want it to vent outside because it's the only exhaust fan in the house and the first floor is about 800 square feet, so if I cook something fragrant, could use it for that. I've been cooking outdoors on the gas grill/burner with the nice weather we've had recently.

————————————————
    Damn, there’s always somebody who throws a wrench into the workaround. :#

jmonroe

it even matches the porta potty!

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,521
    Nope, not a hard choice at all.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    seems to be a new model for car dealers happening. Some are partnering with an online used car service for their used car side.

Just saw an ad for local Chevy dealer that was now selling for Car Bravo, which seems to be like Carvana but dealers have the inventory and do the delivery, etc. and last week watched a video from Long Macarthur (Ford dealer in Kansas that is big in the Maverick world) and the internet guy walked the lot and said they were now a dealer for another company (some sort of luxury provider) so they had a lot of inventory of Euro imports, etc. But did not sound like it was their normal, they paid for it inventory (they still had that stuff too).

wonder if this is going to be a new model? certainly would save an online buying service a bunch of money not having to have their own facilities like Carvana does.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,353
    tifighter said:

Not a hard choice to me.

Woof.

I saw one of those new style M2's a few weeks back, in that custom purple color that BMW offers. Nope, getting too old for that kind of nonsense.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    The black one looks like a Subaru.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I saw a 330i, yesterday, that has some sort of triangular reflector/plastic trim on each side of the rear valance, above the exhaust pipes. Terrible. Otherwise, nice looking car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I saw one of the new bigger SUVs (don't ask me which, I think one of the "coupe" style). White, but had a black hoop on the front. Looked like a fu manchu mustache, and was very unattractive going around the grill. which already was not attractive.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,884
    Washed, vacuumed all three cars today. I feel better.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

————————————————
    That’s strange, I never felt like that after doing 2 cars. I think you’re numb and don’t know the difference. :'(

jmonroe
    tjc78 said:

@sda said:

Mine are so bad… I’ll have the Volvo at the shore next weekend I’ll be getting it done then

Can’t wash cars right now … I’m “stuck” in Vegas for work

————————————————-
    Aaaaaah, that’s a shame but you’ll pay for that next weekend. There are no free lunches

jmonroe
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,319

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,353
    nyccarguy said:

Z1? Can they be imported now?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

that the one with the drop down doors? I remember Wheeler Dealers did one of those (in England)

tifighter said:

Not a hard choice to me.

As I've said,the new M2 looks like the Lego version of the F22...

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,811
    Michaell said:

Z1? Can they be imported now?

Produced '89-'91. They've been importable for 9 years now.

'08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

tjc78 said:

Can’t wash cars right now … I’m “stuck” in Vegas for work.

My condolences. If it makes you feel any better, the Shelby Heritage Center is pretty neat, as is the neon boneyard. The Atomic Museum was also very interesting, but haven't visited it since 2007. It's bizarre that, only a few decades ago, you could pack everyone up in the Family Truckster, drive out into the nearby desert, and witness an atmospheric nuclear bomb test firsthand.
    @nyccarguy - I thought that was a Miata, judging from the front end.
    Went hiking at Charlestown State Park today and was pleasantly surprised to see only perhaps 50 Ford Escapes in the fenced off lots along IN-62. They used to be filled with Super Duties which were awaiting chips. I have recently seen Escapes on lots in Radcliff and Brandenburg, but the lots in Charlestown were sparsely populated.