Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently gone to a dealership expecting to find/purchase a cheap new (not used) sedan and found it to be more expensive than expected? Or did you even end up purchasing a new SUV because it ended up being a similar price to a new sedan?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, February 14 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco new yorkPosts: 3,838
    I have bin injoying all Else that’s been going on in here the past two days been looking haven’t made a comment though Type your comment
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,544
    stickguy said:

not that I am likely to have the money any time soon to do it, but if I finally get some sort of classic (ok, old bomber) I definitely want it to be driveable in normal use. So a "restomod" of some sort probably. In my case, that would be basic suspension, brakes (disks), etc. Probably a crate motor with modern electronics, new rad, better seats. Keeping the look the same.

Ya, very true. I saw in the description on that '63 Corvette.... it said "custom tires." Really? Ouch.... that would probably be wickedly painful if you need to ever replace them! :(
    2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 499
    Red wall (red line) tires
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 12,880
    fintail said:

I replied to the salesguy email, and received a response that I could buy out the car now for the residual plus remaining payments. I laughed out loud.

Instead of laughing at the guy you should have "made an appointment" to come down to see him about 1/2 hour before they close, then call 5 minutes before and say you are stuck in traffic.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 9,386
    I have never heard of "custom tires". I suspect that phrase is just another bit o B-J sales hype.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 11,833
    qbrozen said:

The ‘18 Stang bests 4 secs to 60 and rips the 1/4 mile in 11.9.

The automatic will, but not the stick- from the CD test of a 2018:

"In testing, our six-speed manual transmission (a 10-speed automatic is optional) matched the zero-to-60-mph time of the outgoing car at 4.3 seconds but opened 0.3-second and 3-mph gaps through the quarter-mile with a 12.6-second run at 115 mph. "

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 499
    ab348 said:
    I have never heard of "custom tires". I suspect that phrase is just another bit o B-J sales hype.
    Red wall tires
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 11,833
    Coker replicas; hardly "custom."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 106,935
    0 F, last night.. 9 F, this morning, when I was leaving.

My attached, unheated garage was 42 F. (insulated, though). I was pretty happy with that.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 4,631
    It's not the heat that'll kill ya, it's the humidity.
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 63,316
    ab348 said:

well, where is the line? You have an old car. Have you upgraded anything at all? Modern tires, shocks, Electronic ignition?

I would think the "line" is the body. So if you plop a 1959 Corvette body on a 2018 Corvette chassis and running gear and interior (or parts thereof), then yes, it's still a "classic Corvette".

Funny you mention that. There is one of those locally. A C1 on a C4 or C5 chassis. People who spot that think of it as a curiosity, not a classic. I suppose it might impress non-car people who don’t know any better. If I owned it I doubt I’d get much satisfaction from that.

As for my car, it has white-letter radials. That’s all.
    But how would they even know when they see it, unless the body were customized? I know of one using a '62 Vette on a C6 chassis, and there's really no way to tell unless you peek underneath or view the cockpit.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

Coker replicas; hardly "custom."

I would imagine having your own special size of tire made for you would be enormously expensive--even if you could convince someone to do it.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 31,050
    I remember seeing on overhauling them getting custom tread designs cut. But the carcass has to start out some standard size.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

You mean like a recap?

But how would they even know when they see it, unless the body were customized? I know of one using a '62 Vette on a C6 chassis, and there's really no way to tell unless you peek underneath or view the cockpit.

It looks different. Can't tell you why exactly and someone not into it wouldn't probably notice, but it's off somehow.

If someone takes a rusted hulk of an old car and builds a restomod with it, I suppose that's OK since it wouldn't make sense to restore it. Bolt on as much catalog stuff as you want. A fellow I know did that with a rusty and tired '54 Chevy convertible. Spent a ton of money on it, 6 figures. Looks mostly stock outside but a custom interior, different suspension and brakes. crate engine, the usual stuff. Whoever did it, did a nice job. I suspect he would get a fraction of what he put into it if he wanted to sell.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

I see no problem with bolting on modern parts for driveability and safety. Assuming you want to drive your classic, not trailer it to shows. All stuff you can undo if you want to put the old parts back in.

How much depends on how old. Don’t need as much when you get into the 70s and could have come originally with headrests, seatbelts, power disk brakes, AC, etc. so I would not do much to a ‘73 chevelle. A ‘65, different Story!

edited January 21
    Can you tell that this is on a C4 chassis? (Be careful, maybe I'm lying about this) :) Or is it a stock ;59 Vette with disc brakes all around and lowered a bit, with custom wheels?

More to the point, it looks "classic", not modern.

edited January 21
    Like the car, hate the wheels on it

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 106,935
    stickguy said:

Like the car, hate the wheels on it

If those are just custom wheels and brakes, the brakes are massive, and over-done, assuming the car has a stock powerplant.

Therefore, I guess C4 chassis.

Something with a 15" wheel would look awesome!

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,192

Can you tell that this is on a C4 chassis? (Be careful, maybe I'm lying about this) :) Or is it a stock ;59 Vette with disc brakes all around and lowered a bit, with custom wheels?

More to the point, it looks "classic", not modern.

That dude must be TINY to make that car look that large

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

edited January 21
    Well America's idea of a "sports car" didn't include "tiny". A '59 Corvette is nearly 180 inches long and weighs over 3,000 lbs. This ain't no Miata!

Modern mid-size SUVs are in the 190-195" range.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,192
    Weird. Whenever I have seen them in person, they strike me as very small. Was trying to find a similar pic with a more normal human, but no luck.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• omarmanomarman Posts: 1,500
    I googled corvettes cruising and found something completely different.

American built Israeli SA’AR5 corvettes
    The original sea-going Corvettes were apparently one of the most miserable vessels to serve on.

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,403
    Taking a generic Camaro or Nova and turning it into a restomod, pro tourer or full blown custom doesn’t bother me nor does dropping a C3 body on a C6 frame. Same with dropping a vintage truck on a newer 4x4 frame.

For some reason the ‘tribute’ or ‘recreation’ cars just bother me. It’s either an original GT 350 or it isn’t. It’s either an original Hemi ‘Cuda or it isn’t.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

The original sea-going Corvettes were apparently one of the most miserable vessels to serve on.

Yes, they were not designed for trans-ocean use and rolled very badly, and their quarters were primitive and not designed for as large a crew as they ended up with.

The only surviving Flower-class corvette is based here in my town:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Sackville_(K181)

• breldbreld Posts: 4,258
    Wow!  Right timing and right buyer I guess.  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-acura-rsx-4/

I was thinking $12-13k would have been strong for the seller and a decent buy for someone who really wanted it.  

2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Audi A5 - 2017 Miata RF

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 4,631
    breld said:

Wow!  Right timing and right buyer I guess.  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-acura-rsx-4/

I was thinking $12-13k would have been strong for the seller and a decent buy for someone who really wanted it.  

Sweet jeebus.
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
    I saw that one and liked it. but if that is close to what the market is, I will never have one! Maybe I should have kept my old Integra. It might be appreciating!