Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited June 2023
    Feel dumb! Went to VW for my "recall" appointment but turns out the letter was an "extended warranty coverage" for the steering wheel clock spring! Guess I mis-read the letter thinking it as a recall on their part. Oh well, it got me up a bit earlier on my n/s day today which ain't a bad thing. Just wish I had scheduled the Hyundai recall for today as the Accent is here for a couple of days it seems. No harm done but just feel a bit dumb for not reading the paperwork more closely. Luckily, the VW store is super close to the casa so jumped into Walmart to pick up some cleaning supplies.
    While waiting for my service advisor at VW, noticed how old my vehicle is compared to what I was seeing there. It's already eight years old and though it looks pretty good, it's an older vehicle. And just not finding anything out there that I gotta have right now. And I don't want to settle this time just to get something newer as I know I'll be unhappy. Just hoping the new Hyundai Kona will be as good as I think because if not, not sure what else to look at. As much as I like the Corolla Cross, not sure it'll be enough to satisfy me unless I go for the hybrid version which I think is coming out later this year. Still just under 74K on the Golf, so keeping it another year won't be the worse thing in the world. I'd just have to do another oil change/filter swap & possibly purchase another tire as one of them is still an original from 2019 and is showing it's age.
    Will just have to see what happens once the new 2024 Kona comes out later this year. And hoping they have a hybrid model sometime after it's initial debut. Not ready to get an EV yet but think a hybrid will be the answer for me going forward.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    My random collection of bids today. All manual transmissions. The Levin is the 20v version, so something like 165 hp. Competitor to a Civic Si, I guess. I'll probably lose on that one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    A bit slow at work so they didn't let us do a make-up day yesterday, Wednesday, which I kind of expected to be honest. Between now & the start of summer vacation in a few weeks, not much rental activity judging by the number of vehicles parked at the Palm Beach airport on Tuesday. Think it will get busy again around July 4th as that's when many folks take vacation so until then, we won't be that busy.
    Drove a Dodge Charger on Tuesday and was amazed at how old school everything was. Doesn't feel like a 21st century vehicle at all and wonder when Dodge is going to do something about it. Just like the Toyota Corolla, seems to really need a total refresh as the competition is just so much better.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    @qbrozen - you should hit up @nyccarguy if you end up winning that Corolla! :D
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    edited June 2023

I like the Pajero Mini

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I like the Pajero Mini

I have one up for grabs (kind of) right now. It is a 5-spd, but not a turbo, however.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Just one example of the silliness that is MMR right now. 2 of the same make, model, trim. The more expensive one is a year older and has 7k more miles, a slightly lower condition report, and an accident history. On what planet does this make any sense?

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    qbrozen said:

Just one example of the silliness that is MMR right now. 2 of the same make, model, trim. The more expensive one is a year older and has 7k more miles, a slightly lower condition report, and an accident history. On what planet does this make any sense?

Tell me what the MMR price represents?

My daughter has a 2014 Countryman S ALL4, with around 62-63K on the odometer. Curious what it might be worth in trade.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Manheim Market Report. The number there is what it should fetch at one of their auctions.

Assuming your daughter's is in nice condition, no accident history, and not a crazy color, the MMR is $12k. What does that mean in the market right now? Approximately nothing. If it truly is nice, the bidding could be like $14k. It makes no sense. But as a trade? $11k on a push. They should pay more if they want to retail it themselves, but no guarantees, of course. What color is it? Is she interested in selling? :)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    qbrozen said:

Manheim Market Report. The number there is what it should fetch at one of their auctions.

Assuming your daughter's is in nice condition, no accident history, and not a crazy color, the MMR is $12k. What does that mean in the market right now? Approximately nothing. If it truly is nice, the bidding could be like $14k. It makes no sense. But as a trade? $11k on a push. They should pay more if they want to retail it themselves, but no guarantees, of course. What color is it? Is she interested in selling? :)

Technically, the color is called "Royal Grey", but it's really a green, with black leather interior. It's been subjected to a hail storm, which resulted in about $5K worth of repairs, but the shop did a great job with it, and you'd be hard pressed to know the history by looking at it.

I doubt she'd be interested in selling, at the moment, because our finances are such that getting a replacement is out of the question.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

Put the Maverick on the Battery Tender for a few hours. Still no dice. Cycled the ignition key and the interior lights work like normal, so maybe that was the problem all along. I’m guessing the BCM just shuts down certain functions if it hasn’t been started in a few days.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434

@qbrozen - there’s a guy Chevy Dude who recently opened a used car lot in Southern Indiana. He did a video about this Acura MDX that he had his eye on. He said he couldn’t believe it sold at the auction for close to retail.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options

@nyccarguy said:
    @qbrozen - there’s a guy Chevy Dude who recently opened a used car lot in Southern Indiana. He did a video about this Acura MDX that he had his eye on. He said he couldn’t believe it sold at the auction for close to retail.

That’s the guy who posts all the short vids and has the tag line something like “buying a car doesn’t have to suck”, right? I can’t stand him.

The absolute last straw was this clip where he complained “here is an example of customers doing it wrong.” He proceeded to show an offer sheet from a customer with an OTD price, and how this customer’s mistake was using an old price on the car. He said “the market has since changed.” No, you changed your price. You still paid the same amount for the car and would still make the same profit you set out to make. But you decided you wanted more and now somehow your customer is in the wrong?! Ew. He may as well cut to the chase and put on the plaid jacket and gold chains and slick back his hair. He absolutely deserves that Chevy dealership he dreams about.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563

@qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:

That’s the guy who posts all the short vids and has the tag line something like “buying a car doesn’t have to suck”, right? I can’t stand him.

The absolute last straw was this clip where he complained “here is an example of customers doing it wrong.” He proceeded to show an offer sheet from a customer with an OTD price, and how this customer’s mistake was using an old price on the car. He said “the market has since changed.” No, you changed your price. You still paid the same amount for the car and would still make the same profit you set out to make. But you decided you wanted more and now somehow your customer is in the wrong?! Ew. He may as well cut to the chase and put on the plaid jacket and gold chains and slick back his hair. He absolutely deserves that Chevy dealership he dreams about.

————————————————
    Next time don’t hold back, just tell us what you really think. o:)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:
    We saw them all over in Honolulu doing small delivery/tradesman work.
    I saw a 2012 model in a showroom in Burlington VT last year. I can’t recall what they were asking but I think it was something outrageous.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited June 2023
    qbrozen said:

My random collection of bids today. All manual transmissions. The Levin is the 20v version, so something like 165 hp. Competitor to a Civic Si, I guess. I'll probably lose on that one.

I’m guessing manual transmission is a plus for your market demographic. For the under 30 set it’s probably exotic. Have you ever had any inquires from younger potential buyers as to when you’ll get some with automatics?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Many of the YT car dealers have noticed the reluctance of consigner at auction to accept the reality of a falling market. Many cars are “no sales” when the high bid doesn’t come up to the seller’s reserve. I wonder if that is because the seller’s are expecting the higher prices indicated by MMR. If you watch some of those videos they show cars that have been run through the auction week after week with high bids thousands below reserve.

Who was it that said “books don’t buy cars”?

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@nyccarguy said:

If that’s the same guy I think it is, I stopped watching him when every video was about how he lost money on every car.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

But makes it up in volume?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Many of the YT car dealers have noticed the reluctance of consigner at auction to accept the reality of a falling market. Many cars are “no sales” when the high bid doesn’t come up to the seller’s reserve. I wonder if that is because the seller’s are expecting the higher prices indicated by MMR. If you watch some of those videos they show cars that have been run through the auction week after week with high bids thousands below reserve.

I had commented a week or so ago how every car I wanted to buy went far ABOVE MMR.

• Options

Have you ever had any inquires from younger potential buyers as to when you’ll get some with automatics?

No.

• Options
    Alright, so to the results from last night....

The Corolla was bid up to 989,000 yen. ouch. oh, but... NO SALE
    The Today went to 310,000. NO SALE
    Pajero Mini hit 327,000, which is nearly double what I paid for my automatic turbo. I knew it would be higher, so I shot for the moon with a 275k bid. Geesh.
    I did win the one I wanted the least, the pickup. But they took it upon themselves to bid 175k for me when I offered 150k.

Yup, the Japanese market has caught up to the US. Sigh. Bad time to start a dealership, methinks.

• Options
    It looks like the Dodge Hornet has been out for about a year, and I don't think I've seen any on the road. It looks like the standard 2.0T is pretty powerful, but a base model is around $30k and it's north of $40k well equipped, which is a tough pill to swallow when you know you'll be getting Alfa quality and reliability. The standard 17" wheels on the GT and GT Plus resemble hubcaps, and 215mm width tires seem a bit narrow. Perhaps the upcoming plug-in hybrid will be more compelling.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    corvette said:

It looks like the Dodge Hornet has been out for about a year, and I don't think I've seen any on the road. It looks like the standard 2.0T is pretty powerful, but a base model is around $30k and it's north of $40k well equipped, which is a tough pill to swallow when you know you'll be getting Alfa quality and reliability. The standard 17" wheels on the GT and GT Plus resemble hubcaps, and 215mm width tires seem a bit narrow. Perhaps the upcoming plug-in hybrid will be more compelling.

Yeah, jeez, had no idea they have been out for a year. Never spotted a single one and likely won’t at $40k! Thats missing the market.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Is that what it is? A rebadged Stelvio?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    edited June 2023
    kyfdx said:

Tonale
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    corvette said:

Really? I keep getting ads forced down my throat about it coming soon. Maybe that's just the R/T, which is what I would want anyway.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

kyfdx said:

Tonale
    Ah... thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    It seems pretty well equipped for $40K. Cheaper than a CR-V or RAV4, though probably smaller?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I could very well be wrong, but I think a GT AWD with cold weather pack compares to an HR-V EX-L AWD. The MSRP difference is about $2k. For that, you get something like 75% more HP and larger infotainment screen. I'm sure there are more differences, but that's what I noticed with the 5 mins I put into the search.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

I had commented a week or so ago how every car I wanted to buy went far ABOVE MMR.
    Well, that’s just nuts. Sellers who got stuck overpaying perhaps? Either way, no matter if it’s overblown MMR or simply greed, it’s got to be frustrating.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    qbrozen said:

I could very well be wrong, but I think a GT AWD with cold weather pack compares to an HR-V EX-L AWD. The MSRP difference is about $2k. For that, you get something like 75% more HP and larger infotainment screen. I'm sure there are more differences, but that's what I noticed with the 5 mins I put into the search.

It will also most likely depreciate 75% faster

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    Reliability is suspect as well.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:

Who was it that said “books don’t buy cars”?

————————————————
    That was me. o:)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

@qbrozen said:

Pajero Mini hit 327,000, which is nearly double what I paid for my automatic turbo. I knew it would be higher, so I shot for the moon with a 275k bid. Geesh.
    I did win the one I wanted the least, the pickup. But they took it upon themselves to bid 175k for me when I offered 150k.

Yup, the Japanese market has caught up to the US. Sigh. Bad time to start a dealership, methinks.

————————————————
    Who was it that said, “timing is every”? Oh wait, that was me too. :*

jmonroe

• Options

@sda said:

————————————————
    So what else is new?

jmonroe

• Options
    edited June 2023
    sda said:

Agreed. My sister's CRV was not the most reliable nor durable.

Wait... you were talking about the Honda, right? I did have electrical gremlins in my Stelvio, though. Same as I'm having on my Subaru, as a matter of fact. Huh. OH, that's right, and that I had in the Honda Fit.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

sda said:

Agreed. My sister's CRV was not the most reliable nor durable.

Wait... you were talking about the Honda, right? I did have electrical gremlins in my Stelvio, though. Same as I'm having on my Subaru, as a matter of fact. Huh. OH, that's right, and that I had in the Honda Fit.
    Assuming you like the vehicle and willing to live with an Italian car, it seems like a bargain for what you get.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    My five closest dealers have a total of two in stock and three in transit. Two of those dealers have no stock and none in transit. I skimmed a review of the R/T plug-in hybrid and it seems a little unconventional. Looks like you need an 80% charge on the battery to make the big power, and you have to basically hit "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start" in order to activate that mode. I do like that they omitted a driveshaft and that the rear wheels are driven only by an electric motor.

Also, it appears I was wrong, the 2023 GT did not go on sale until April, 2023.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    qbrozen said:

Is there any potential in the government equipment auctions? I know your wife would love to have inventory around the property that was larger than her van!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I rented an off-site garage space, today... for the rest of the calendar year.
    It's only 1.5 miles away, in the lower level of a commercial building. (parking lot level in the rear).
    Single garage with a new manual door. (no opener)

More than I wanted to pay, but it's in a very convenient spot, and I thought I'd try it out for six months, before making a longer commitment. I've never garaged a car off-site, and not sure how it'll fit for me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    I’ve been keeping an eye locally for similar and, at least up here, this is a way taller order than you’d expect.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

One of my wife’s friends just opened a florist/coffee shop. We checked it out today and I found this inside:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited June 2023

Obligatory “Look what I managed to fit into my hatchback.” photo:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    edited June 2023

While having the Q5 serviced this morning I found this color, Chronos Gray, to be interesting. It has a slight green tint to it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

Obligatory “Look what I managed to fit into my hatchback.” photo:

————————————————
    It’s looks like your work is just starting after you unload that thing. Stuff like that is no longer in my permissible work zone. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options

I was always more concerned with the mess at the end, not fitting it in. The truck eliminates that issue!

• Options

I am relatively in the country and the main road outside our neighborhood still has some farms on it (for now). One house has a stand alone workshop/barn/garage (looks pretty new). 3 garage doors facing the road (short side of the rectangle. Middle door is RV height

Anyway, they have a 4 rent sign out by the road with 14x36 listed. So I assume one of the garage bays. About 1.5 miles from the house at most. If I had spare cars it would be tempting to find out what the setup and cost is!

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

@kyfdx said:
    It's only 1.5 miles away, in the lower level of a commercial building. (parking lot level in the rear).

More than I wanted to pay, but it's in a very convenient spot, and I thought I'd try it out for six months, before making a longer commitment. I've never garaged a car off-site, and not sure how it'll fit for me.

I have an offsite garage space as well. With a craftsman built in 1900, car parking here is challenging. I’ve become quite used to it now, and just trade one car for the other when I want to use it. As this is at the Griots storage facility, it’s actually fun since there’s lots to see every time I visit. The self storage places were more expensive.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556

@kyfdx said:

No luck finding that widow renter I guess.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP