Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278

So far so good - shocking amount of room with the seat back giving my wife room to stretch (she's 5' 6"). He definitely enjoyed it.

I'm leaning yes.

You can beat white w/red - that is estoril blue over red or estoril blue over cognac. Good luck finding them though.

Escorial blue over red AKA Superman
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559
    mjfloyd1 said:

So far so good - shocking amount of room with the seat back giving my wife room to stretch (she's 5' 6"). He definitely enjoyed it.

I'm leaning yes.

You can beat white w/red - that is estoril blue over red or estoril blue over cognac. Good luck finding them though.

————————————————
    It’s good to have you back in here again. I was beginning to wonder where you were.

It would be nice to hear from @henryn again.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

Not today. I received an offer from Vroom for $33,500 for the same net price as what CarMax offered for the trade (30,400 plus tax credit). So I’m gonna sell to Vroom, that way if I decide to return in the 30 day window to CarMax, I can without losing the tax benefit.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

@mjfloyd1 said:

Welcome back!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    smart thinking. gotta plan ahead.

I assume that part of the contract you sign for being able to return it is that they won't give you your trade back. Though I assume if you got a replacement unit instead the tax credit would still apply. but that sounds like a lot of hassle.

I always wondered with Carmax and Carvana what % of people returned a car they already bought. I assume it is quite low.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    @28ff,
    Summers almost here, great timing! Don't forget the sunscreen. B)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

Nice!

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    sweet. though just looking at those sidewalls from 3,000 miles away made my blood pressure go up.

I could probably sell my wife on one of those. she is not fond of the real sports car idea. She gets embarrassed having to fall out of the car onto the pavement when exiting the vehicle!

edited June 2023
    jmonroe1 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

I'm leaning yes.

————————————————
    It’s good to have you back in here again. I was beginning to wonder where you were.

It would be nice to hear from @henryn again.

jmonroe
    Really busy lately. 81 yr old FIL had a three vessel coronary artery bypass just before Memorial Day, 21 yr old daughter had tonsils and adenoids just afterwards. Now youngest visiting Clemson Univ and then off to New Orleans for NGA gymnastics nationals meet.

Punch! Pictures later.

And yes, the trade in agreement says exactly that. If they offered me enough I’d have taken it. But it was an exact wash.

Nice looking BMW.

Selling Hyundai, I assume??
    edited June 2023

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Nice looking BMW.

Selling Hyundai, I assume??

Yep. It lasted just under a year. It was either flip now or wait a while because registration renewal was $700.

maybe I should go get a buy offer. This is almost exactly what I have (though I only have 650 miles!). MSRP would be more on mine though, since I have the moonroof (but this one has CP360+ package which is basically adaptive cruise and parking sensors).

https://www.carmax.com/car/24317021

stickguy said:

maybe I should go get a buy offer. This is almost exactly what I have (though I only have 650 miles!). MSRP would be more on mine though, since I have the moonroof (but this one has CP360+ package which is basically adaptive cruise and parking sensors).

————————————————
    Why not? If they can get $47K for one with 3K miles on it and it’s been repainted with the mandatory Lemon Law Return Yellow, you could make a killing on yours.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    my wife would give me too much grief. Plus I wouldn't have a car again. not that I really need one!

or I trade it for one of those fancy convertibles they have!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    stickguy said:

my wife would give me too much grief. Plus I wouldn't have a car again. not that I really need one!

or I trade it for one of those fancy convertibles they have!

Just make sure you get one with vinyl upholstery so you can put the top down and fill it with mulch when Mrs Stick demands you do the spring landscape refresh. Just open the door and hose out the remnants after.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

Love that BMW. Congrats!!! Well bought.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @28firefighter - congrats on the M240! Great color combo and just a great car.

@tifighter - may as well go put a deposit on a new Lexus TX. Or an Odyssey. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

Ha. Local dealers won’t even accept an order for a Sienna Platinum.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    You might try the broker that @nyccarguy and I used, I think he (now) has some contacts outside of the East Coast.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    @28firefighter- you will love that car; I rank it up there with my Club Sport, 535is, and M6 on a fun to drive basis.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@corvette said:
    You might try the broker that @nyccarguy and I used, I think he (now) has some contacts outside of the East Coast.

He gets Sienna’s at MSRP occasionally for sure.

So, in true 28FF fashion, as soon as I got home with the new car it started pouring. Figured, hey, my plan is to daily drive it year round - let’s see how it feels. Loaded up everyone to go to dinner and, maybe I’ve just never had a comfortable, but it was perfectly fine. Very quiet inside the car, car handled perfectly - and after an hour in the garage at home the roof was dry.

And because I’m me, I got home, rinsed it off and then threw a coat of wax on in the garage because clearly that’s not part of the CarMax prep process.

So, in true 28FF fashion, as soon as I got home with the new car it started pouring. Figured, hey, my plan is to daily drive it year round - let’s see how it feels. Loaded up everyone to go to dinner and, maybe I’ve just never had a comfortable, but it was perfectly fine. Very quiet inside the car, car handled perfectly - and after an hour in the garage at home the roof was dry.

And because I’m me, I got home, rinsed it off and then threw a coat of wax on in the garage because clearly that’s not part of the CarMax prep process.

————————————————
    I’ve always said…”you never really know your car until you give it a wax job”. You’re now officially the owner.

Just curious, did it need a clay job?

jmonroe
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918

My truck needs a wax…. That will be an all afternoon affair when I get to it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited June 2023

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    I’ve always said…”you never really know your car until you give it a wax job”. You’re now officially the owner.

jmonroe

By my standards yes, but really, for a 5 year old car the paint is basically perfect other than the minor cosmetics I mentioned. The PO also had clear bra on the door edges, trunk lip, door handles, and mirrors - tells me they cared at least a bit.

I’ll save that for a nicer day this summer.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    28firefighter -
    Congrats!
    Looks lovely!
    [ even the bow ]
    - Ray
    Trust you will enjoy for many [s]miles
    2022 X3 M40i
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,662
    stickguy said:

I want some of what CarMax is smoking. Carvana recently upped their offer on my Mustang from $25k to $27k. For a soon to be 9 year old car?

I figured that if Mustangs hold their value well it might be worth half its original sticker after 10 years which would be $16-$17k. I thought I was being optimistic but I guess not.

I’m afraid the days are over when I could pick up a decent 15 year old car for 5-10% of it’s original price.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Congrats, again, 28FF! Water still beading on mine, but waxing is a comin' later this summer.

Stick, the M240 is pretty darn low to the road; part of the fun. So, re: wife, forgiveness vs permission.

Let my son drive it last night, when he wasn't looking I put it in eco pro mode. He said he didn't get it, it's supposed to perform? His Mazda 3 turbo was faster... then I put it in sport+... he immediately offered to trade his practical 3 HB for this non-practical beast; I'm too old for such a car. Tempting, but nope.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

@28firefighter said:

I am sure someone somewhere must’ve asked why you would want a RWD convertible in the rainy Northwest. o:)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@corvette said:

He gets Sienna’s at MSRP occasionally for sure.

Dealers will talk about other trim levels. But the Platinum is verboten as they are supposedly impossible to get. When your spouse has reynaud's, heated steering wheels are not optional. Only other awd van is the Pacifica, which is surprisingly spendy for something that will depreciate like a rock. It's how I got to a CUV/SUV in the first place.

qbrozen said:

@28firefighter said:

I am sure someone somewhere must’ve asked why you would want a RWD convertible in the rainy Northwest. o:)

Probably the same reason the UK is one of the biggest convertible markets in the world. Can't help it.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    edited June 2023

Congrats, again, 28FF! Water still beading on mine, but waxing is a comin' later this summer.

Stick, the M240 is pretty darn low to the road; part of the fun. So, re: wife, forgiveness vs permission.

Let my son drive it last night, when he wasn't looking I put it in eco pro mode. He said he didn't get it, it's supposed to perform? His Mazda 3 turbo was faster... then I put it in sport+... he immediately offered to trade his practical 3 HB for this non-practical beast; I'm too old for such a car. Tempting, but nope.

I really liked the different modes on my 2er; you could actually feel a significant difference between them. The modes on the C43 are even more pronounced; ranging from Geezer Mode to Track Attack. I especially like the AMG exhaust; while it defaults to Quiet at startup I immediately switch it to: "Annoy Bystanders."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe

By my standards yes, but really, for a 5 year old car the paint is basically perfect other than the minor cosmetics I mentioned. The PO also had clear bra on the door edges, trunk lip, door handles, and mirrors - tells me they cared at least a bit.

I’ll save that for a nicer day this summer.

————————————————
    I agree. Any owner who takes care of the exterior like you described, more than likely took care of the mechanicals too.

If it means anything, I’d say you got yourself a real find with that car. Don’t screw it up now.

Good luck with it.

jmonroe

I really liked the different modes on my 2er; you could actually feel a significant difference between them. The modes on the C43 are even more pronounced; ranging from Geezer Mode to Track Attack. I especially like the AMG exhaust; while it defaults to Quiet at startup I immediately switch it to: "Annoy Bystanders."
    ————————————————
    There is something to be said about a purring exhaust sound.

When Son #1 got his 2018 BMW X3 M40I earlier this year he and his youngest son liked the exhaust sound. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when he got his 2017 Chevy SS with a pretty good size V8. Now he’s not so sure which sounds better.

The funny part about this is before he got the Chevy his wife knew what car he was driving when he pulled into the driveway. Now she’s not so sure but thinks she’ll be able to figure it out soon.

jmonroe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    @tifighter Same issue with my wife. She loves her heated wheel!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    I've oft stated that mankind's pinnacle achievement (to date) is the heated steering wheel.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

one upgrade on the new Maverick is the heated steering wheel (and seats, a lot more important up her in the frozen north country). my wife's Acura does not even have the heated wheel.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265

@tjc78 said:
    My truck needs a wax…. That will be an all afternoon affair when I get to it.

I put a coat of Zaino on the Tundra once. It needed a second coat after about a year, but I never got around to dedicating an entire afternoon to doing it. Still need to do the Maverick.

having my Maverick professionally done right after I got it really made it shine. included the clay work so the paint is smooth as a baby's bum.

speaking of the Maverick, it is "official" now. I got the registration in the mail, and I put the plates on and got it inspected this week. Still waiting for the title to show up in the mail but according to the DMV lady that can take a few weeks.

also got the title in the mail for the Acura. So all cars lien free now. Was surprised that the state DMV did not care if I ever sent in the NJ title (what Acura financial was holding) for a NY one so I am not going to bother. Someday whoever buys it will just get the NJ one.

shocking how much better the checking account balance looks every month without car payments coming out. soon the mortgage will be paid off. that will really help monthly cash flow!

pensfan83 said:

This evening's view.

————————————————
    I’ve seen that lots of times. Show us the boat you were on.

jmonroe
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    jmonroe1 said:

pensfan83 said:

This evening's view.

————————————————

jmonroe
    Can you direct me to the Mt. Washington incline?

carnaught said:

jmonroe1 said:

pensfan83 said:

This evening's view.

————————————————

jmonroe
    Can you direct me to the Mt. Washington incline?

————————————————
    If you turn the boat around and head towards the point a little bit I’m pretty sure if you make a hard right and the boat is amphibious you’ll be able to board the incline without leaving the boat. However, you should be able to see it from where the boat is now.

jmonroe

P> @tifighter said:

Good news @breld !

The ITS has landed-

Wait for it-

:)

$70k. Lol.

P> @tifighter said:

Good news @breld !

The ITS has landed-

Wait for it-

:)

$70k. Lol.

————————————————
    Yep, I noticed that too. Not only has that thing landed but with that price me thinks it’s going to be anchored to that spot for a while.

It would be interesting to know how many times it will be dusted off before it sells. But as we know, if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

jmonroe
    I was thinking that $53k was too high. given the options at $70k, no chance!

The RDX needs a service this summer. if I take it to the Acura dealer I will try and take an Integra for a spin. they seem to have a supply of them, even manuals.

might take it to the Honda dealer instead if they are OK with an Acura. Quite a bit cheaper for the same oil and filter, a little bit closer, and they apparently will do a free inspection saving me a trip.