Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    xwesx said:

@akangl That's a heck of a change! Maybe not a *polar* opposite (as that would require a move to, say, southern Argentina or New Zealand), but half-way there, anyway!

If you're thinking you won't move until next summer, something tells me that you will be looking for wheels to satisfy your driving needs until the RV trip!

Seriously, though, once you get back to AK, let me know if you do need something short term. I may be able to let you use my Q7 for that spell to save you the time, money, and effort of a buy.

It is a big change but the weather is better for my health, the cold is just too much. As for something to drive I have the dually which I reluctantly drive as little as possible. Hubby has a work truck so we can be a 1 car family. I do miss my little Q5 though. I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it if I get too annoyed at the dually lol.
    ab348 said:

akangl said:

Now on to what we've been up to. Well I'm typing this while sitting in our room at a resort in Costa Rica. We close on our new home in 8 days. We won't be moving in right away because we want to wait until our daughter can move in to our place in Alaska so it doesn't sit vacant, so the house here will be an airbnb until we move next summer. We will do our RV trip before moving. We planned that for this summer but with all the things needed for the house closing it was easier to be in Costa Rica.

Wow, that's really interesting. A few years ago I was visiting an old-car acquaintance and he was on a jag about Costa Rica being the place to move to and at the time seemed to be seriously considering it for himself and family. He had done a lot of research and thought he had it all figured out. He's still here last I heard so maybe that wasn't quite so, but he was certainly fired up about it. He was saying the health care is no worse and maybe better than here, that many things were cheaper, that it was safe as long as you picked the right community, etc etc. It still seemed like a mighty big and scary change, although living in Alaska would be that for me too. Best of luck!
    We did a lot of research and decided it was right for us. We started house hunting and found our dream house, we close on it in a week. Health care here is pretty good, the schools are excellent which played a big part in our decision. We love the weather and the people. Its just all around a great country.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,920

@28firefighter
    This really sucks! How’s the little guy doing?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Due for an oil change/rotation in September, which will be the one year mark. Since I'm just at about 73,900 right now, give or take, might just get it all done in the next couple of weeks. Been wanting to try a new place near us in Boca Raton & found a full synthetic coupon for $59.99 for up to 5 gallons of oil. Price will be a bit more as think the Golf takes 5.5 gallons or close to it. And most of my time behind the wheel has been like severe driving since I'm hardly in the car for more than 5 minutes at a time. Doubt having it done a few months early will make a big difference either way at this point. If I've driven 2K miles since last September, I'll be lucky but probably closer to 1.5K miles is more like it.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151

5 quarts.
    5 gallons is a lot of oil :D

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes, just over 5 quarts! Senior moment there I guess...they seem to be happening more & more lately!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151

Same here. Lol

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,984

Yes, just over 5 quarts! Senior moment there I guess...they seem to be happening more & more lately!!

Remember to have the garage use the VW Spec oil. There is a sticker under the hood that provides the specs.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

OF, took some vehicles to the Manheim auction in Ft. Lauderdale on Monday. My Jeep Cherokee had just over 121K on the odo which I was surprised to see. Drove very nicely I might add though. Most of our dealer sold vehicles have over 60K on them. The UCS I drove yesterday was a Hyundai Kona with 61K on it. Not sure of the year as it didn't have the tag on the key fob but figured it must be a 2019 or 2020 vehicle. Cleanish inside & out & drove very nicely also. Definitely think I could live with one going forward. After sitting in a Mini Cooper Countryman last week for almost an hour felt it was a bit tight inside, not sure I'd be happy after a bunch of years. Considering how pricey they really are, don't think it's on my short list anymore. Just don't drive enough anymore to spend so much on a vehicle to be honest. At least with a Hyundai, that longer back to back warranty makes it a better proposition for myself since I've got a feeling this next vehicle will be my last!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@tjc78 said:
    @28firefighter
    This really sucks! How’s the little guy doing?

Thanks for asking! He’s totally fine. Sounds slightly congested but normal energy, eating, personality etc. He has another day home and then can go back to school masking.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    edited June 2023

5 quarts.

5 gallons is a lot of oil :D

My Mustang takes 8 quarts so Sandman must have a bad oil leak.😩

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

OF, took some vehicles to the Manheim auction in Ft. Lauderdale on Monday. My Jeep Cherokee had just over 121K on the odo which I was surprised to see. Drove very nicely I might add though. Most of our dealer sold vehicles have over 60K on them. The UCS I drove yesterday was a Hyundai Kona with 61K on it. Not sure of the year as it didn't have the tag on the key fob but figured it must be a 2019 or 2020 vehicle. Cleanish inside & out & drove very nicely also. Definitely think I could live with one going forward. After sitting in a Mini Cooper Countryman last week for almost an hour felt it was a bit tight inside, not sure I'd be happy after a bunch of years. Considering how pricey they really are, don't think it's on my short list anymore. Just don't drive enough anymore to spend so much on a vehicle to be honest. At least with a Hyundai, that longer back to back warranty makes it a better proposition for myself since I've got a feeling this next vehicle will be my last!

I bet that Jeep was a lease return. I’ve seen them come back with over 200k sometimes. We keep them up to 60k before they are UCS up here too but that may be about to change as we are getting flooded with brand new cars. I’m hoping that in a few months they’ll be back to selling the vehicles off at 30k instead of 60k.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941

Riiiight. How about “we won’t bother unless we KNOW we gettin paid regardless of sale price.” ? At least I could give you credit for honesty.

I’m very surprised anybody is allowed to sell cars with reserves on BaT and C&B.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited June 2023

An actual Vroom employee with a brand new (temp tag) Vroom flatbed picked up the Hyundai tonight. Sounds like they opened a hub location near Manheim south of Seattle. Got an email within minutes with the bill of lading.

Assuming they pay me efficiently pretty quick and painless.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,543
    Carvana was nice when I dropped my Maverick off. they had all the paperwork ready to go. after he did a quick once around and checked the miles and took some pictures, I signed about 3 pre-printed forms, he handed me the already cut check, and I was on my way. 20 minutes later I was handing it to a teller at my bank to deposit.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited June 2023

@qbrozen - it certainly seems like both C& B and BaT fancy themselves an online Barrett Jackson or Mecum now. I do understand under a certain price point not allowing a reserve but this is a fairly rare car.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Just received an email this morning from Ford saying our Bronco Heritage Edition will be entering production and we were assigned a VIN. I honestly thought we had already passed the window for production of it, and was expecting an email saying we could update our order to a 2024 (non-Heritage).

I'm sure we'll take delivery of it, but then it'll be a decision on which Bronco to keep. As it stands, the one we have is just a "fun" car.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Why not both? :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559

@kyfdx said:

————————————————
    Enabler. :*

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Buying and selling cars, then coming here to talk about it? Job security.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,428
    breld said:

Just received an email this morning from Ford saying our Bronco Heritage Edition will be entering production and we were assigned a VIN. I honestly thought we had already passed the window for production of it, and was expecting an email saying we could update our order to a 2024 (non-Heritage).

I'm sure we'll take delivery of it, but then it'll be a decision on which Bronco to keep. As it stands, the one we have is just a "fun" car.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,384
    Work trip M-W of this week. There were 4 of us and a lot f driving so I took an Expedition out of the pool. Gotta say, not a bad way to spend some seat time. Comfy, decent power and room to spare. Wasn’t my gas bill so I didn’t care that it probably barely broke 20 mpg. Actually wasn’t the bear to park that I anticipated.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    It's a travel week for work so I've been delayed in sharing but on Monday we test drove a Grand Cherokee 4xe Overland. Had the passenger screen and another package with goodies like massaging seats, Nappa leather, multi-zone climate. ~$73K sticker.

Overall, we liked it a lot. It's comfortable and the powertrain was more refined than I expected. Good throttle response and over curved roads and broken pavement it handled just fine. Interior seemed a little bit roomier than the RDX in the rear seat and cargo area though the spare tire eats up space that is used as storage in the RDX so maybe it evens out a bit. The regen braking seemed to be on its most aggressive setting because the second you let off the throttle it kicked in, for those that have Wrangler 4xes maybe you can tell me if that's normal or not; we were in Hybrid mode I believe. The interior is a nice place to spend time with the large and responsive touchscreen, physical controls for seats and HVAC, and the digital gauge cluster. They did a really good job with the inside.

Downsides? Too much piano black trim and the dealer experience. I get that these are somewhat new but the sales person struggled with even basic questions, nevermind those which we had on charging, the different drive modes, changing the cluster view, etc. I get that a lot of that can be obtained online, and that's likely how we'll gain our knowledge, but kind of disappointing to not have someone demo these things in person. We didn't ask for a quote because I've modeled a few different "deals" to know what I would offer and buying out the Acura isn't off the table.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    @28firefighter good to hear you and your son are on the mend and getting through it with minimal discomfort.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    edited June 2023
    kyfdx said:

Well, that's just silly talk. He doesn't keep ANY, so both is absolutely out of the question. Breld's wife is way overdue for dumping the first one... I mean 2nd one, but only current one... you know what I mean. About time for another MB SUV, which then MIGHT last till the next Bronco arrives.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

pensfan83 said:

It's a travel week for work so I've been delayed in sharing but on Monday we test drove a Grand Cherokee 4xe Overland. Had the passenger screen and another package with goodies like massaging seats, Nappa leather, multi-zone climate. ~$73K sticker.

Overall, we liked it a lot. It's comfortable and the powertrain was more refined than I expected. Good throttle response and over curved roads and broken pavement it handled just fine. Interior seemed a little bit roomier than the RDX in the rear seat and cargo area though the spare tire eats up space that is used as storage in the RDX so maybe it evens out a bit. The regen braking seemed to be on its most aggressive setting because the second you let off the throttle it kicked in, for those that have Wrangler 4xes maybe you can tell me if that's normal or not; we were in Hybrid mode I believe. The interior is a nice place to spend time with the large and responsive touchscreen, physical controls for seats and HVAC, and the digital gauge cluster. They did a really good job with the inside.

Downsides? Too much piano black trim and the dealer experience. I get that these are somewhat new but the sales person struggled with even basic questions, nevermind those which we had on charging, the different drive modes, changing the cluster view, etc. I get that a lot of that can be obtained online, and that's likely how we'll gain our knowledge, but kind of disappointing to not have someone demo these things in person. We didn't ask for a quote because I've modeled a few different "deals" to know what I would offer and buying out the Acura isn't off the table.

This is one of the major problems I have with Jeep. They are selling some very expensive vehicles. The "regular" Jeep buyer is not hacking and might just be accepting MSRP minus rebates as a "good deal." For the sticker price of some of their vehicles, Jeep should be providing Lexus level service which you get even if you are buying the cheapest used vehicle Lexus has on the lot. The couple of service visits I’ve had haven’t been especially confidence inspiring for out of warranty ownership.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited June 2023
    There were supposed to be “torrential rains“ today, so I decided to leave the Prelude in the garage and drive the Wrangler to work today. 1st time that’s been out of the garage since Sunday.

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

This is one of the major problems I have with Jeep. They are selling some very expensive vehicles. The "regular" Jeep buyer is not hacking and might just be accepting MSRP minus rebates as a "good deal." For the sticker price of some of their vehicles, Jeep should be providing Lexus level service which you get even if you are buying the cheapest used vehicle Lexus has on the lot. The couple of service visits I’ve had haven’t been especially confidence inspiring for out of warranty ownership.
    Can attest to this. The Wrangler threw a CEL and I get the "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" message. Meaning it basically won't go into hybrid or electric mode. Call dealer #1 and after many, many attempts I finally get a live body as I needed to be guaranteed a loaner. I'm told the soonest they can see me is July 19. Call dealer #2. Actually easy to get a live body but this dealer says Chrysler doesn't pay for loaners or rentals until after a diagnosis. Grrr...

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

Can attest to this. The Wrangler threw a CEL and I get the "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" message. Meaning it basically won't go into hybrid or electric mode. Call dealer #1 and after many, many attempts I finally get a live body as I needed to be guaranteed a loaner. I'm told the soonest they can see me is July 19. Call dealer #2. Actually easy to get a live body but this dealer says Chrysler doesn't pay for loaners or rentals until after a diagnosis. Grrr...
    I was also quoted very long wait times until I could get an appointment as well. I was also told by 1 dealer that they only have 3 or 4 technicians that work on the hybrids. 1 was out sick and 1 was working on a major issue and couldn't be pulled off the job.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    For anyone interesting in motor vehicle history:

https://www.caranddriver.com/from-the-archive/
    2022 X3 M40i

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,559

@nyccarguy said:

————————————————
    I’m sure everyone knows I’m not a Chrysler fan boy but is there anything that Chrysler does right anymore?

I will admit that when my son had an ‘08 Town and Country the service department gave him no problems when he wanted warranty work for the tranny that went out at around 120K miles in 2015 just when he was getting ready to sell it. He had the lifetime unlimited mileage and they gave him a new crate tranny. He liked the service but hated the van. Not so sure what would happen today.

If there was ever a company that should be trying to provide a good buying experience it’s them. I know they can’t police all of their dealerships but from what I’ve been hearing they don’t seem to say anything to them. Almost like they’re afraid to lose anyone trying to sell their products. There has to be a few good dealerships but how do you find them?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

I was also quoted very long wait times until I could get an appointment as well. I was also told by 1 dealer that they only have 3 or 4 technicians that work on the hybrids. 1 was out sick and 1 was working on a major issue and couldn't be pulled off the job.
    All good to know, thank you both.
    One plus to the Maverick. They aren’t all good, but out in the country, there are a lot of ford dealers!

pensfan83 said:

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

pensfan83 said:

All good to know, thank you both.
    Truth be told, I really do like the 4Xe powertrain. The 2.0 Turbo is mated very nicely to the 8 Speed Automatic. I drive mine in Hybrid with Max Regenerative Braking all the time. You do get used to the brakes kicking in right when you let off the gas. It really bothers my 16 year old. !st thing he does when he turns the jeep on is turn off the max regen. The interior materials are great. I want to say that the paint quality is the best I've ever had on any car I've owned. The transition from electric to gas and back is seamless. The mileage is phenomenal - hands down the most mpgs of any car I've ever owned. I have zero issues with connectivity and the touch screen controls are excellent. In your case with the amount of driving you do, I think it would be a great vehicle.

What's the buyout on the RDX?

@pensfan83 - take it for what it's worth, but @jpp75 got a GC 4xe a month or two ago and, quite frankly, hates it, citing it as possibly his worst purchase decision. YMMV.

breld said:

@pensfan83 - take it for what it's worth, but @jpp75 got a GC 4xe a month or two ago and, quite frankly, hates it, citing it as possibly his worst purchase decision. YMMV.

Yikes! What are the issues?

au1994 said:

breld said:

I won't speak for him, but it's mostly about the ride quality, particularly given the cost of these rigs in the upper trim levels.

breld said:

au1994 said:

breld said:

I won't speak for him, but it's mostly about the ride quality, particularly given the cost of these rigs in the upper trim levels.
    Gotcha. Yeah, at $70+ there are plenty of other options that are more refined.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    breld said:

Wow, I didn't hear about the change. Was this the replacement for the Defender?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    breld said:

2023? Should I put him down for a punch?

@tifighter said:
    Wow, I didn't hear about the change. Was this the replacement for the Defender?

Yeah, he really liked the Defender and drove the heck out of it. He had really good luck with it until recently when it started exhibiting Land Rover-esque quirks and warning lights. Since he was approaching the end of warranty from a mileage perspective he decided to take advantage of the strong resale value and try something new.

@corvette said:
    2023? Should I put him down for a punch?

Yes - 2023.

edited June 2023
    breld said:

au1994 said:

breld said:

It was only 20 minutes so neither of us had any real issues with the ride, but I'd be interested to hear his thoughts.

@nyccarguy I think buyout is around $26-$27K, below market value. I would have liked more seat time in the different modes but with no electric range it probably wasn't the best representation of all of the capabilities. I will echo the quality of the cabin, it was solid and well put together. This would be my wife's car and used for a ~25 mile r/t commute 2-4 times per week and on the weekend the electric only range covers us for the most part so it would work well for our needs.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278

@breld said:
    Now that's silly talk.

She's on a Macan kick at the moment, not an MB. ;)

I believe there are some brokers on LeaseHackr with Macan (and Cayenne) deals.

@pensfan83 said:
    It was only 20 minutes so neither of us had any real issues with the ride, but I'd be interested to hear his thoughts.

@nyccarguy I think buyout is around $26-$27K, below market value. I would have liked more seat time in the different modes but with no electric range it probably wasn't the best representation of all of the capabilities. I will echo the quality of the cabin, it was solid and well put together. This would be my wife's car and used for a ~25 mile r/t commute 2-4 times per week and on the weekend the electric only range covers us for the most part so it would work well for our needs.

The mileage you drive and the shape you keep your cars in, I doubt you’ll ever be anywhere close to being underwater. I’m sure even at $27K plus tax you’ll be way under market value.

https://www.paylesssales.com/vehicle-details/used-2023-audi-q5-s-line-prestige-55e-awd-black-optic-pkg-plug-in-hybrid-heated-and-cooled-leather-seats-heated-steering-wheel-sunroof-bang-and-olufsen-speakers-adaptive-cruise-heads-up-display-anchorage-ak-id-52479183

I can honestly say this is one car I will forever miss, that little Q5e was such a sweetheart. Seriously kicking myself for selling it since we aren't permanently moving for another year, but when I sold it the plan was to move in August. One thing I will miss about being in the states is having a nice car, in Costa Rica a nice car is the LAST thing you want! The roads will beat the living crap out of it.
    I have no other hybrid driving experience to compare it to, but on the Maverick I really can't tell when it goes back and forth from battery to engine. Except the other day when it kicked on in the AM when I was backing out of the garage. That I noticed! but never on the road. I do sometimes watch the power meter to see what is happening which is the only way to tell.

I also drive in normal mode, and also can't tell when the brakes switch from regen to pads and rotors. Apparently, Eco mode is more aggressive with Regen. Someday I will try that to see how it feels. But in standard it really just drives like a normal ICE only car.

I was talking to a coworker who told me he just bought a black 2023 Mustang GT Premium. $51k with many bells and whistles like the tunable exhaust which goes from mild to obnoxious.

I paid $31k for mine and even though his is an upscale trim I couldn’t believe it cost $20k more.