Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    edited June 2023
    A GT Premium does cost quite a bit more than a base GT even in 2023.
    You have to add in the obnoxious exhaust and power upgrade for your car in there too. :p
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,194

I was talking to a coworker who told me he just bought a black 2023 Mustang GT Premium. $51k with many bells and whistles like the tunable exhaust which goes from mild to obnoxious.

I paid $31k for mine and even though his is an upscale trim I couldn’t believe it cost $20k more.

8 years of inflation will do that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,353
    edited June 2023
    stickguy said:

One plus to the Maverick. They aren’t all good, but out in the country, there are a lot of ford dealers!

And in my neck of the woods, ALL of the Ford dealers suck; the only variable is how hard.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The W14 steering wheel; at least all of the controls fall readily to hand...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,792
    akangl said:

https://www.paylesssales.com/vehicle-details/used-2023-audi-q5-s-line-prestige-55e-awd-black-optic-pkg-plug-in-hybrid-heated-and-cooled-leather-seats-heated-steering-wheel-sunroof-bang-and-olufsen-speakers-adaptive-cruise-heads-up-display-anchorage-ak-id-52479183

I can honestly say this is one car I will forever miss, that little Q5e was such a sweetheart. Seriously kicking myself for selling it since we aren't permanently moving for another year, but when I sold it the plan was to move in August. One thing I will miss about being in the states is having a nice car, in Costa Rica a nice car is the LAST thing you want! The roads will beat the living crap out of it.

Well, sure, but with that many miles on it, heck, you were probably on its last one!

Before needing to fuel it up for the first time, that is. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382

A GT Premium does cost quite a bit more than a base GT even in 2023.
    You have to add in the obnoxious exhaust and power upgrade for your car in there too. :p

I cannot stand that exhaust option. Obnoxious doesn’t do it justice. You can’t even carry on a conversation if one passes you.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940

@breld said:
    Now that's silly talk.

She's on a Macan kick at the moment, not an MB. ;)

Actually, that’s good. It will give her the excuse of being too small when the Bronco arrives. Some people focus on mileage, some on reliability, some on resale… y’all think about why you’d need to replace it before you buy it. It is a strong strategy. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @au1994,
    The other day we were driving on the highway in the Explorer when a GT convertible pulled up next to me and the driver put it loud mode and took off. It's very loud.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yeah, I don’t mind a little V8 rumble at all but that loud mode is just terrible.

The AMG Performance Exhaust on the C43 isn't extremely loud but it's definitely not whisper quiet. As I said before, I still set it to "Annoy Bystanders" on every startup...

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,534
    qbrozen said:

@breld said:

Now that's silly talk.

She's on a Macan kick at the moment, not an MB. ;)

Actually, that’s good. It will give her the excuse of being too small when the Bronco arrives. Some people focus on mileage, some on reliability, some on resale… y’all think about why you’d need to replace it before you buy it. It is a strong strategy. ;)

Everybody needs a hobby.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    There's a lot of fake noises and such in modern cars...the simulated gear shifts complete with brief interrupted torque delivery, paired with simulated sounds of a turbo 4 takes it all to a new level.

And it sounds kinda fun to me.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a44305791/2024-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-prototype-track-drive/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,161
    I remember when I had the Jag F-type roadster as a rental car in Germany, it had a switchable exhaust function. I always selected the loudest setting in town (I figured Stuttgart is an automotive city, so it wouldn't be too out of place), and quiet on the highway. It was fun esp with the top down, but I don't know if I would be so constantly obnoxious driving where people might know me B)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,263
    IIRC, the EU has very strict regulations about decibel levels for exhausts, which I don't think we have here, so you were probably not obnoxious even in the loud mode.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,161
    corvette said:

IIRC, the EU has very strict regulations about decibel levels for exhausts, which I don't think we have here, so you were probably not obnoxious even in the loud mode.

It wasn't the volume, but the revvy raspy popping kind of stuff. Usually when I see that here, it's a clapped out Infiniti or 350Z kind of thing,
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,730
    Breld, has the wife/you looked at a Genesis GV70? An eye catcher, good reviews (no Macan, of course). Curious if anyone has real world exposure to it.
    Still not an SUV guy, but if I had to, Macan would be top o' the list; I'd take a lookie lou at the Genesis.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Breld, has the wife/you looked at a Genesis GV70? An eye catcher, good reviews (no Macan, of course). Curious if anyone has real world exposure to it.
    Still not an SUV guy, but if I had to, Macan would be top o' the list; I'd take a lookie lou at the Genesis.

We haven’t test driven but thats at the tippy top of the wife’s list to replace the X1. Should be settling the college choice for jr in the coming months hopefully and that could free up some cash we are sitting on if all goes to plan.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,089
    Today, Edmunds dropped a video comparo between the Model 3 and the Hyundai Ionic 6, the sedan that looks like a sea creature that migrated to dry land and grew a set of wheels. To my surprise the Ionic came out on top, although the reviewer noted that the Tesla was eligible for the $7500 federal rebate while the Hyundai was not.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@ab348 said:
    the reviewer noted that the Tesla was eligible for the $7500 federal rebate while the Hyundai was not.

Why is that?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

the reviewer noted that the Tesla was eligible for the $7500 federal rebate while the Hyundai was not.

Why is that?

Tesla meets the domestic production guidelines set forth in the legislation passed last year.

However, if you lease, the Hyundai passes through the $7500 as an incentive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,916

Yeah with a pumped up MF and poor residual!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

tjc78 said:

You can’t always get what you want…

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,554
    Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

Why is that?

Tesla meets the domestic production guidelines set forth in the legislation passed last year.

————————————————
    How does leasing help production guide lines that qualifies for the $7,500 incentive. Only our government could make sense of that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@tjc78 said:

Truer words haven’t been spoken …

I want a $7500 rebate. A subsidized MF and an inflated residual. 😎

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

Why is that?

————————————————
    How does leasing help production guide lines that qualifies for the $7,500 incentive. Only our government could make sense of that.

jmonroe

Ah, the beauty of our elected members of Congress.

Since the bank purchases the car in the case of a lease, it's considered a commercial transaction, and the $7500 tax credit is available to the bank. The rebate is simply the bank passing through that tax credit to the customer who leases the vehicle.

On a purchase, there are stricter standards about which vehicles allow the buyer to claim the tax credit on next years taxes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    At 29,500 miles, our 2022 Highlander was in need of an oil change & tire rotation. My regular service advisor is off on Fridays, but today was the only day I could bring it in. There was also a squeaking noise coming from the rear underside of the car. I get a call from a service advisor who said they recommend a "major" 30,000 mile service which includes an oil change, tire rotation, induction service, AC oil service, brake adjustment & cabin filter for $384.95 plus an additional $59 for an air filter. No Thanks. Just the oil change & tire rotation. They diagnosed the squeak underneath the car as a loose spare tire.

I go to pick the car up in the afternoon. I get handed to the checkout guy who tells me my bill is close to $285. Whoa! For an oil change & tire rotation? He tells me there was a diagnostic fee to see what the squeak was underneath the car. I politely reminded him that the vehicle has under 30,000 miles and is still covered under the factory warranty. $140 and I was out of there. 5 Quart Synthetic Oil Change $84.95 + and additional $9.95 for the 6th quart it takes. $29.95 for the tire rotation.

Nice to see inventory building up as well. They had a bunch of Highlanders in stock as well as Camrys.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

my son's friend decided he wanted a GR and went looking. Searched the country I believe, and might have found a couple at huge ADMs that he was not willing to go for. So I think that dream died on the vine.

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

Why is that?

————————————————

jmonroe

Since the bank purchases the car in the case of a lease, it's considered a commercial transaction, and the $7500 tax credit is available to the bank. The rebate is simply the bank passing through that tax credit to the customer who leases the vehicle.

On a purchase, there are stricter standards about which vehicles allow the buyer to claim the tax credit on next years taxes.
    ————————————————
    Gee, what would we do without bank lobbies? Allow me to answer my own question—-A LOT BETTER THAN WITH THEM.

As I understand it, that $7,500 credit (or whatever applies at the time) does not have to be passed onto the lessee but it usually is as an incentive to lease. I guess competition amongst banks helps the lessee get the pass through of the incentive.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

Why is that?

————————————————

jmonroe

————————————————
    Gee, what would we do without bank lobbies? Allow me to answer my own question—-A LOT BETTER THAN WITH THEM.

As I understand it, that $7,500 credit (or whatever applies at the time) does not have to be passed onto the lessee but it usually is as an incentive to lease. I guess competition amongst banks helps the lessee get the pass through of the incentive.

jmonroe

Without the incentive, nobody would lease an EV, as the payment would be too high. Even with the incentive, they are pretty expensive.

This wasn't a bank lobby issue - to be honest, I don't think anyone in Congress knew what was in the bill when it was passed. It took the IRS months to sort it all out and provide guidance to the manufacturers and the public.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

qbrozen said:

@ab348 said:

Why is that?

————————————————

jmonroe

————————————————

jmonroe
    Without the incentive, nobody would lease an EV, as the payment would be too high. Even with the incentive, they are pretty expensive.

This wasn't a bank lobby issue - to be honest, I don't think anyone in Congress knew what was in the bill when it was passed. It took the IRS months to sort it all out and provide guidance to the manufacturers and the public.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    You said Congress didn't know what was in the bill. What's so unusual about that? Maybe the lobbyists wrote the bill for Congress and they just pushed it through. I could talk myself into believing that.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,652
    breld said:

There's a lot of fake noises and such in modern cars...the simulated gear shifts complete with brief interrupted torque delivery, paired with simulated sounds of a turbo 4 takes it all to a new level.

And it sounds kinda fun to me.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a44305791/2024-hyundai-ioniq-5-n-prototype-track-drive/

Fake noises on a performance car are like taking a shower in a raincoat, kind of a pointless endeavor. I couldn’t wait to tear that stupid sound tube off the Mustang and install a real exhaust. Why they didn’t do that from the factory is beyond me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

You haven’t been to California.

https://youtu.be/A4g-esW0tos

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

nyccarguy said:

At 29,500 miles, our 2022 Highlander was in need of an oil change & tire rotation. My regular service advisor is off on Fridays, but today was the only day I could bring it in. There was also a squeaking noise coming from the rear underside of the car. I get a call from a service advisor who said they recommend a "major" 30,000 mile service which includes an oil change, tire rotation, induction service, AC oil service, brake adjustment & cabin filter for $384.95 plus an additional $59 for an air filter. No Thanks. Just the oil change & tire rotation. They diagnosed the squeak underneath the car as a loose spare tire.

I go to pick the car up in the afternoon. I get handed to the checkout guy who tells me my bill is close to $285. Whoa! For an oil change & tire rotation? He tells me there was a diagnostic fee to see what the squeak was underneath the car. I politely reminded him that the vehicle has under 30,000 miles and is still covered under the factory warranty. $140 and I was out of there. 5 Quart Synthetic Oil Change $84.95 + and additional $9.95 for the 6th quart it takes. $29.95 for the tire rotation.

Nice to see inventory building up as well. They had a bunch of Highlanders in stock as well as Camrys.

If they tried that scam on me it would be the last time I had service done there.

Does anyone know why Toyota is the only car maker still short on inventory? I drove past a local Chevy dealer and they had a full lot. A mile down the road they had taken over a section of the mall parking lot and had at least a hundred more vehicles parked there. I have never seen that before.

Could be one for Qbrozen motors

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

Good suggestion @laurasdada. She has tested out a GV70 and liked it quite a bit and if she were to get serious I think she’d take another look at it. The 3.5T is a great engine (the 2.5T is no slouch itself). Overall it’s softer than the Macan, but we’re getting to a point where we appreciate….soft. 😀 I mean, for goodness sake, I just bought a Lexus!

I also like the electrified GV70 and would put that on the list for my next EV.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

nyccarguy said:

If they tried that scam on me it would be the last time I had service done there.

Does anyone know why Toyota is the only car maker still short on inventory? I drove past a local Chevy dealer and they had a full lot. A mile down the road they had taken over a section of the mall parking lot and had at least a hundred more vehicles parked there. I have never seen that before.

Things are definitely improving. Lots around here are pretty full of new vehicles, not used, across all brands. Occasionally you may find something popular like a Tahoe with only 3-4 in stock but still much better overall. Maybe incentives and some negotiation can return soon.

One of the things my team at work is responsible for is the fleet. We are getting Fords in pretty quickly, like 6 weeks on XL F150’s.

I ordered 2 F250 XL’s and got them in 3 weeks.

@tjc78 said:
    Could be one for Qbrozen motors

Plenty of those for sale. The updated ones with the front seats behind the front wheels is regarded as far superior in ride and comfort.

So glad I got my $6712 tax credit on the A7, for once my purchase timing was pretty good.

New right rear wheel bearings for the M240, warranty ($200 diagnostic charge best be gone!). I'm told other three wheels are fine. And, the service dept has the car listed as CPO, interesting...

On the way home in the 530xi, I stopped at the neighboring Lambo/Maser/Bentley/Alfa dealer, they had two Tonale's, black and white of course. Locked, but did a walkaround and peered inside. Cursory review, of course, but nothing looked special to me. And there's the Hornet, should be interesting to see how this shakes out.
    Of course, as a champion of the less mainstream marque (see, growing up Saab, Mitsubishi and Renault, as an adult, Jag) I'm hoping that Alfa makes it here, builds an interesting not-SUV (Spider reincarnate, anyone?) and expands dealership.
    I'm having strange feelings of, once the warranty is up on the A7, trading for a Taycan or Audi e-tron GT, hoping range/battery tech will be even better in '25.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

of course lobbyists and consultants write most of the bills. Might get some staffers to read through the highlights but reps certainly done know exactly what they are voting for.

edited June 2023
    stickguy said:

of course lobbyists and consultants write most of the bills. Might get some staffers to read through the highlights but reps certainly done know exactly what they are voting for.

I remember when Kentucky passed the Kentucky Education Reform Act back in 1990. I can guarantee 90% of the legislators didn't read much past the opening page.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,970
    Was told that I'm eligible for the next booster now so will need to set it up at Walgreens like before. Still need to get the shingles shot as well but have been feeling the vertigo more these past few weeks so waiting till it subsides a bit. Since it started almost 15 months ago, the vertigo has been awful at times. Have missed a total of about 5 weeks as driving was impossible. I fell during one bout earlier this year and still feeling pain from under my left eye where my head hit the toilet seat. That bone is still a bit swollen and within 24 hours, looked like someone had punched me out. I do use my walker at night now if I need to make a pit stop & I was gifted one of those devices that one can push like a walker but also has a seat that can be put down when not in motion. Am sure most have seen some older folks using them in public. Has come in handy while I was cooking and needed to stay by the stove, just used it to sit down on. This getting older stuff is trickier than I ever imagined!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

After four days cooped up at home for the most part, I took a drive around Seattle last night at sunset with some tunes - drove through Phinney, Fremont, Queen Anne, Ballard, Greenwood and then went home. Was delightful.

Woke up this morning and retested and son and I are both negative. Great success!

Topless, I presume.
    Still waiting to hear that mine is ready to be picked up. Missed a couple of nice days, but rain for the next few.
    MIL likes the 530xi, she finds it roomier in back. I put it in sport, drove with some alacrity on the twisty, 30mph back roads here, doing ~40. She was terrified, actually told me to slow down for fear the car would tip over! It's not an SUV, Kathy...

stickguy said:

I remember when Kentucky passed the Kentucky Education Reform Act back in 1990. I can guarantee 90% of the legislators didn't read much past the opening page.
    ————————————————
    More than likely that’s when there were no more pictures. B)

jmonroe
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,390

@laurasdada said:
    Topless, I presume.

Is there another way?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    tifighter said:

@breld said:

but we’re getting to a point where we appreciate….soft. 😀 I mean, for goodness sake, I just bought a Lexus!

Hey now.

————————————————
    Count me in as one of the softy crowd.

Right now I’m in WV across the Potomac River from VA getting ready to attend a wedding. We rode down with Son #1 and his wife in her X3 240I. Sat in the back seat and it ain’t comfy not even close. Mrs. j said it rides like a truck but it looks nice. Spoiled Subie owner.

This joint we’re in is kinda neat. I’m pretty sure it called the Bavarian Inn. I’m told this is going to be a real shindig and I believe it based on the cars in the parking LOTS (yes there is more than one). Not black tie but close. Cocktail hour at 5. I ain’t gonna be late for that.

I shoulda drove my Genny.

jmonroe

After four days cooped up at home for the most part, I took a drive around Seattle last night at sunset with some tunes - drove through Phinney, Fremont, Queen Anne, Ballard, Greenwood and then went home. Was delightful.

Woke up this morning and retested and son and I are both negative. Great success!

Topless, I presume.
    Still waiting to hear that mine is ready to be picked up. Missed a couple of nice days, but rain for the next few.
    MIL likes the 530xi, she finds it roomier in back. I put it in sport, drove with some alacrity on the twisty, 30mph back roads here, doing ~40. She was terrified, actually told me to slow down for fear the car would tip over! It's not an SUV, Kathy...
    I put over 160 miles on the C43 today- we had 3 parties to attend. The last one was in a small town that is connected to I-71 by a country road filled with lots of elevation changes and tight corners. As usual, my wife never looked up from her Kindle- even though I was doing my best to take each corner at double the posted advisory speed. The C43 shares a characteristic with my old 2er; it's so well planted that I suspect that I'll run out of courage long before I run out of grip...

Hot and very humid today. Took the 530 to Woods Hole for dinner, beautiful drive along the upper Cape Cod coast. The a/c seems insufficient.