Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    edited July 2023

Honestly these large screens with everything integrated and software controlled are probably a net savings rather than all separate modules.

Bonus is most consumers love them and they look “fancy”

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544
    xwesx said:

Mah, dang. I forgot to drive through the lot when I left work. I was literally 200 meters away. /sigh

————————————————
    A real poster buddy would have turned around and gone back when he realized he screwed up. :#

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    ab348 said:

I didn't know that Ford had changed the IP in the Mustang from the one used in the 2023...

...to this one found in the 2024 model:

Not sure it is an improvement.

————————————————
    Should have left it alone. Another example of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

I didn't know that Ford had changed the IP in the Mustang from the one used in the 2023...

————————————————
    Should have left it alone. Another example of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

jmonroe
    Looks like the materials quality has improved a lot.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Seats appear the same, as do the door cards and the right 1/3rd of the dash. Not sure what you’re seeing there.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    The screen looks like an aftermarket add-on- this is one time Ford should not have tried to copy BMW:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    nyccarguy said:
    Price is exactly comparable to the gold one (difference being trim level). No shots underneath, but, if you're leaning toward one of these, I don't think you'll do poorly with either one.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    nyccarguy said:
    looks like any of the Subies you have posted would work. Another good choice for a new driver. Safe, reliable and relatively slow!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Michaell said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:
    looks like any of the Subies you have posted would work. Another good choice for a new driver. Safe, reliable and relatively slow!
    Trust me, slow doesn't mean that the new driver still can't be stupid behind the wheel.

Ask me how I know.
    ————————————————
    C’mon man, say it ain’t so. o:)

jmonroe
    ab348 said:

andres3 said:

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Seats appear the same, as do the door cards and the right 1/3rd of the dash. Not sure what you’re seeing there.
    ————————————————
    Same here. Even though I’m seeing this on my cell phone I’m pretty sure it would look the same if I saw those views on my higher quality desktop monitor.

I would have to touch the interior materials to make a valid comment about its quality.

jmonroe
    Michaell said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:
    Trust me, slow doesn't mean that the new driver still can't be stupid behind the wheel.

Ask me how I know.
    I know. But it helps.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    qbrozen said:

Got a bare minimum offer on the bimmer and accepted. We’ll see if it goes through.

@nyccarguy will come to regret letting it slip through the first time he has to deal with subie head gaskets. ;b

I actually agree with this...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,388

That car is going to make someone very happy. Bummed for you it took so long to sell.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    I know that some don't agree, but I like the screen installed inside a traditional instrument binnacle- as Ford did with the 2018-2023 Mustang and Mercedes did with the W205 C43:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Is it weird to say that I like the steering wheel most?

@qbrozen said:
    Got a bare minimum offer on the bimmer and accepted. We’ll see if it goes through.

@nyccarguy will come to regret letting it slip through the first time he has to deal with subie head gaskets. ;b

Your BMW is a great car. I I don’t think it is the right car for my son. At least I would have peace of mind buying the car from you. That’s a big plus.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    @nyccarguy,
    I've got a tip for you. After you cross the bridge to Kitty Hawk, look for 'The Woods Rd' on the right.
    Don't speed but it gets you around one of the big choke points where people either go North or South.
    It brings you back to 154 at a 7-11 and Rte 12 is one road east of that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

@nyccarguy said:

@qbrozen said:

Your BMW is a great car. I I don’t think it is the right car for my son. At least I would have peace of mind buying the car from you. That’s a big plus.

————————————————
    Yes, you should have bought it from him. He throws in a lifetime warranty for poster buddies. Too late now. :'(

jmonroe

Is it weird to say that I like the steering wheel most?

I really like the AMG wheel; the switches and buttons have a precise feel to them and the two touch pads allow you to access dozens of functions and/or adjustments while never taking your hands off the wheel.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    edited July 2023
    ab348 said:

Seems familiar. MB did that several years ago on the little A-class:

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    tjc78 said:

Honestly these large screens with everything integrated and software controlled are probably a net savings rather than all separate modules.

Bonus is most consumers love them and they look “fancy”

The huge touch screens in most current Fords are a pain to navigate. I much prefer the simpler intuitive dials and buttons in my older one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I stopped by the dealership tonight. It was recently closed, but man, what a ghost town! There were perhaps twenty new vehicles of all makes on their lots, maybe two dozen used vehicles, and 90% of the space was just empty. It had a very abandoned feel about it.

No Siennas seen, but it is vaguely possible that one could be in the showroom. I couldn't see in from the car. They had a Subaru Solterra on the lot in a lovely red color. I've yet to see one on the road.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Sorry it turned out like this. I really think it would have done well on BaT if they would have allowed the reserve.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936

@au1994 said:
    Sorry it turned out like this. I really think it would have done well on BaT if they would have allowed the reserve.

Both auction houses really did me wrong, IMHO. Considering how two BaT buyers backed out of the Nissan and the one very low sale of the Pajero on C&B, one of them should have said “ok, we owe you one, so we’ll accept this at reserve.”

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

We didn’t get any storms at Casa RB last night- but a tree fell anyway. At least it missed the Wrangler.

Glad everyone is ok.

Time to fire up the chainsaw!!

close one!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Bimmer buyer can't pay till end of month, but at least made a nonrefundable deposit.

I’m waiting at the DMV right now. This is so nerve racking!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518

Road test happening I assume.

Don’t worry. Once he passes, it gets even more nerve wracking!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604

@xwesx said:
    Whoa! I just checked the dealer website here in Fairbanks, and they list a Sienna Platinum, good color combo, MSRP + winterization (standard here for dealers)...

@tifighter Long shot, but if you decided to bite, I could drive it down to you. We're leaving here on 8/11 for our annual Ohio trip.

(the car would have 2,200 miles upon arrival)

Thanks for the generous offer, Wes. What I learned from a few local Toyota peeps was that Toyota keeps pre sold cars listed on the inventory page, thinking that if a consumer contacts the dealer, then maybe they can sell them a Highlander or something else. Of course, this just angers half of the people that contact them right off the bat. I’m sure it’s fine.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited July 2023
    tifighter said:

@xwesx said:

Whoa! I just checked the dealer website here in Fairbanks, and they list a Sienna Platinum, good color combo, MSRP + winterization (standard here for dealers)...

@tifighter Long shot, but if you decided to bite, I could drive it down to you. We're leaving here on 8/11 for our annual Ohio trip.

(the car would have 2,200 miles upon arrival)

Thanks for the generous offer, Wes. What I learned from a few local Toyota peeps was that Toyota keeps pre sold cars listed on the inventory page, thinking that if a consumer contacts the dealer, then maybe they can sell them a Highlander or something else. Of course, this just angers half of the people that contact them right off the bat. I’m sure it’s fine.

Not just Toyota. I had 6 of my fleet spec F-150’s show up at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and next thing I know they were on their website. Kinda torqued me as they had PO’s against them.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    stickguy said:

Road test happening I assume.

Don’t worry. Once he passes, it gets even more nerve wracking!

How hard can it be, you’ve seen the caliber of driver on the roads today?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    nyccarguy said:

He passed!

Oh dear (I mean, congrats!)

Time to find that Outback for him.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited July 2023

I finally found a MDX Type S to drive, back to back with a MDX Advance. The S is hard to come by here, with typical ADM in the PNW of $5-10k :( .For those who do not partake in all things Acura, the primary upgrades are a turbo motor, air suspension vs standard, and brakes. Type S Advance has upgraded massage seats and an upgraded stereo as well.

Dealer had both of these in inventory as CPO units, which was a little surprising, so it seemed like a good opportunity to compare them. Price difference between them was about $8K.

I could feel the torque difference within 100 meters. The torque helps make the 10 speed feel smoother between the shifts, filling in some gaps at lower rpm. With air suspension, body control is sharper of course when in the sport settings, but also softer than the standard car when in comfort mode. On 40 series tires. Then there are the seats - these aren’t the limp air bladders I’ve felt in the Germans. These massagers are Strong. I had to turn the intensity down.

To me, the S gives you a lot over the standard Advance trim car for the price difference. Vs a Q7, assuming MSRP, it is a bargain. Equipped with similar options, you’re looking at a Q7 55 Prestige with the Lux pack for around $10-12k more. But with each dealer getting one or two max around here, they aren’t available at MSRP. Because Honda.

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    tifighter said:

I finally found a MDX Type S to drive, back to back with a MDX Advance. The S is hard to come by here, with typical ADM in the PNW of $5-10k :( .For those who do not partake in all things Acura, the primary upgrades are a turbo motor, air suspension vs standard, and brakes. Type S Advance has upgraded massage seats and an upgraded stereo as well.

Dealer had both of these in inventory as CPO units, which was a little surprising, so it seemed like a good opportunity to compare them. Price difference between them was about $8K.

I could feel the torque difference within 100 meters. The torque helps make the 10 speed feel smoother between the shifts, filling in some gaps at lower rpm. With air suspension, body control is sharper of course when in the sport settings, but also softer than the standard car when in comfort mode. On 40 series tires. Then there are the seats - these aren’t the limp air bladders I’ve felt in the Germans. These massagers are Strong. I had to turn the intensity down.

To me, the S gives you a lot over the standard Advance trim car for the price difference. Vs a Q7, assuming MSRP, it is a bargain. Equipped with similar options, you’re looking at a Q7 55 Prestige with the Lux pack for around $10k more. But with each dealer getting one or two max around here, they aren’t available at MSRP. Because Honda.

When I had the RDX in for the timing belt fun last year, they put me in a MDX Type S as a loaner. Even though I have a hard time wrapping my brain around ANYthing at that $75K price point, that's a badass vehicle.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    tifighter said:

To me, the S gives you a lot over the standard Advance trim car for the price difference. Vs a Q7, assuming MSRP, it is a bargain. Equipped with similar options, you’re looking at a Q7 55 Prestige with the Lux pack for around $10k more. But with each dealer getting one or two max around here, they aren’t available at MSRP. Because Honda.

Your thoughts mimic my own, especially the seats. I wish they at least had the Advance seats (adjustable bolsters/thigh extension) bundled with the A-Spec. The biggest complaint from Type S owners seems to be gas mileage.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP

@pensfan83 said:
    The biggest complaint from Type S owners seems to be gas mileage.

I wondered about this as well, so I zeroed the trip computer for each test drive. Same 10 mile loop, city and some freeway, and both showed the same number at the end. Not terribly scientific but that’s what I saw.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555

Well played!

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited July 2023
    Congrats to @tifighter on the MDX and to @nyccarguy's son on the license!

I had the new Cooper tires put on the Prius this afternoon and submitted the $50 rebate. I drove it briefly on the (completely dry) interstate, and couldn't tell much difference in noise or ride quality, although it was a brief stretch and I didn't get above 70.

@nyccarguy said:
    He passed!

————————————————
    Congrats. I know the feeling just don’t let your guard down.

It’s a long story that I’ll have to tell some day.

jmonroe

Congrats, @tifighter ! Well done.

@28firefighter said:
    Congrats, @tifighter ! Well done.

+1. Nice vehicle!

@nyccarguy said:
    He passed!

Awesome! Congrats