Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,182

The 4xe come standard with LED headlights and Alpine premium sound

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,328
    stickguy said:

@nyccarguy said:

Getting the Cross Climate 2s installed on the Highlander later this evening (5:30 PM) at Costco. We are going to look at a few colleges over the next several weeks (Ithaca, Vermont, American, Brandies, High Point) along with a hockey tournament sprinkled in (Marlboro, MA) so I'm happy to make the switch now. For logistical reasons (my wife won't be home in time), I took the Highlander to work and my wife is driving the Tacoma that doesn't have running boards. She's 5'4".

I’ve been to Ithaca and Burlington. Both nice towns. Better like hills in Ithaca though.

I went to Ithaca. Graduated in 1998.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,280

Then you know. My son went to the college on the north hill.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

Then you know. My son went to the college on the north hill.

We are looking there too. They have a program he's interested in.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

My daughter got accepted into one interesting one. Something like public policy? Really interesting. But got in on a 1 year deferral (would have gone to community college for 1 year to take core course the. Transfer in) and she did not really want to do that.

Labor and industrial relations! Looked it up.

stickguy said:

Labor and industrial relations! Looked it up.

That's the one. Industrial & Labor Relations.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,256
    edited September 2023
    stickguy said:

Can’t you still order one? I seem to recall that’s what the Jeep flipper crew did in the past. Spec out your unicorn and get exactly what you want.

The one I was looking at stickered for $69k and had 14k miles on it- the dealer was asking $45k. Aside from color, I wouldn't option it any differently.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

mjfloyd1 said:

I think that only applies to the Sahara and Rubicon.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,778

Yeah I am pretty sure the 4XE I had as a rental didn’t have the Alpine stereo.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,479

So the salesperson called me last night and told me that the Rubicon 4xe sold. I’m leaning towards waiting for another Rubicon to show up. Unfortunately most of them lack all of the features I want- LED headlamps, CWP, and premium sound. The one that got away had most every option save the power top which I do not want under any circumstances.

Wait, first it was available, then it sold, then it was available again, then it sold again? What kind of mind games are they playing?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

@nyccarguy said:

Getting the Cross Climate 2s installed on the Highlander later this evening (5:30 PM) at Costco. We are going to look at a few colleges over the next several weeks (Ithaca, Vermont, American, Brandies, High Point) along with a hockey tournament sprinkled in (Marlboro, MA) so I'm happy to make the switch now. For logistical reasons (my wife won't be home in time), I took the Highlander to work and my wife is driving the Tacoma that doesn't have running boards. She's 5'4".

I’ve been to Ithaca and Burlington. Both nice towns. Better like hills in Ithaca though.

Better skiing near Burlington.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,481
    tjc78 said:

Yeah I am pretty sure the 4XE I had as a rental didn’t have the Alpine stereo.

I think he meant the Rubicon 4XE has it standard, as that was the vehicle in question.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,836
    My Subaru sales guy emailed me and said the 2024 Legacy Sport they ordered for me is there. He is off tomorrow so I said I would stop Thursday after lunch.

Now I have to decide whether to get it or not. Subaru USA is sending a voucher for $750 which would grease the rails a little bit. (Just a simple phone call).

I mentioned to Mrs. venture that maybe I should just get the Legacy and keep the BMW. I was told that was a bad idea. :#

If I do get it, they will be writing me a pretty hefty check. :p

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,383
    nyccarguy said:

————————————————
    5’4”, she’s a giant. Mrs. j has shrunk to 5’ 1/2” over the years. She started out at 5’ 3” IIRC. If you want to see something funny you should see her getting into her sons GMC. I’ll admit it has running boards but it’s still a site to behold and she refuses any help.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited September 2023

mjfloyd1 said:

I think that only applies to the Sahara and Rubicon.
    They only had Sahara and Rubicon when I got my two. I forgot they now make other models. Whoops.

It does make sense for those two options because of lower power draw with LED headlights and a digital amp - I assumed that it was intentional
    venture said:

My Subaru sales guy emailed me and said the 2024 Legacy Sport they ordered for me is there. He is off tomorrow so I said I would stop Thursday after lunch.

Now I have to decide whether to get it or not. Subaru USA is sending a voucher for $750 which would grease the rails a little bit. (Just a simple phone call).

I mentioned to Mrs. venture that maybe I should just get the Legacy and keep the BMW. I was told that was a bad idea. :#

————————————————
    You’re not a newly wed so I’m sure you’ve had bad ideas before. Why not give it another try. You probably have more experience by now. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    venture said:

What’s the trade in value vs what you paid? Is this one going to sting?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,573

Two months in and finally road tripping in the MDX. This is all she’s got, Captain-

All highway, and up then down a 5500ft mountain pass. Not amazing, although it beats the 21mpg highway rating.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,718
    Anyone here have any interest in a clean 65,000 mile S4 with a fairly almost perfectly clean bill of health at the last service with Liqui-Moly 5w-40 oil change?

I'd sell at private party value (fair price) but not trade-in value. As much as I love the car and not trying to get rid of it; it might be time for something new and to scratch the CCBA itch.

Driving both of my Audi's, it's clear I'd rather part with the S4 than the TTS, the TTS is even better. Of course, if someone had a TTRS to trade, then it makes sense to get rid of the TTS, but only then.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,198
    @tifighter - I'm assuming it just says "fuel range low" once it gets below a quarter tank or so? Because 91 miles of range seems at odds with 278.5 miles on the tank and roughly 3/8 remaining.

@qbrozen said:
    Disappointing day. Not quite the spec nor condition I hoped for, and, to add insult to injury, I don’t even fit in the darned thing. Guess I’ll be on the lookout for a 4wd Kei Van instead.

Pretty cool truck nonetheless! Assuming there is virtually no leg room in there and a very upright steering wheel.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,133
    edited September 2023
    Fill up to fill up is the only way to measure. Tank size is 18.5 gallons.
    With a 50 mile reserve(rounding to 2 gallons), (278 + 91) / 16.5 = 22.4.
    BTW, there's no bigger liar than the MPG readout on my Explorer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,826
    tjc78 said:

@qbrozen said:

Disappointing day. Not quite the spec nor condition I hoped for, and, to add insult to injury, I don’t even fit in the darned thing. Guess I’ll be on the lookout for a 4wd Kei Van instead.

Pretty cool truck nonetheless! Assuming there is virtually no leg room in there and a very upright steering wheel.

And very upright seat with zero adjustment. It isn't even a seat. It is two upholstered pads bolted to the bottom and back of the cab.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:
    And very upright seat with zero adjustment. It isn't even a seat. It is two upholstered pads bolted to the bottom and back of the cab.

Oh jeez! Worse than I thought. You think you can retrofit something with tracks into it? Maybe an 80s Ranger or something else with a really small cab?

Fill up to fill up is the only way to measure. Tank size is 18.5 gallons.
    With a 50 mile reserve(rounding to 2 gallons), (278 + 91) / 16.5 = 22.4.
    BTW, there's no bigger liar than the MPG readout on my Explorer.

————————————————
    Something like, “figures don’t lie but liars figure”.

jmonroe
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,133
    @jmonroe1,
    Most people are not as in tune to fuel mileage calcs as I am.
    I have a fuel mileage logs(hand written and a spreadsheet) on my Mustang going back 32+ years.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited September 2023

@andres3 said:
    Anyone here have any interest in a clean 65,000 mile S4 with a fairly almost perfectly clean bill of health at the last service with Liqui-Moly 5w-40 oil change?

I'd sell at private party value (fair price) but not trade-in value. As much as I love the car and not trying to get rid of it; it might be time for something new and to scratch the CCBA itch.

Driving both of my Audi's, it's clear I'd rather part with the S4 than the TTS, the TTS is even better. Of course, if someone had a TTRS to trade, then it makes sense to get rid of the TTS, but only then.

This is the one with the replacement engine?

What’s the trade towards a TTRS? Maybe trade both?

How many key fobs?😂

Does it come with a RiteAid watch?😂

I'm still trying to convince my son to not buy out his S4 next spring. I think that is a 2021 MY. He likes it. Less so after dropping a lot of money recently at 20K miles on new front rotors!

@andres3 - not going to lie, it’s not going to be pretty trying to get rid of that S4. I know you keep it in immaculate condition, but the instant anybody sees a replacement engine and the fact you track the car, they are going to assume the worst.

nyccarguy said:

@andres3 - not going to lie, it’s not going to be pretty trying to get rid of that S4. I know you keep it in immaculate condition, but the instant anybody sees a replacement engine and the fact you track the car, they are going to assume the worst.

don't tell them.

So the salesperson called me last night and told me that the Rubicon 4xe sold. I’m leaning towards waiting for another Rubicon to show up. Unfortunately most of them lack all of the features I want- LED headlamps, CWP, and premium sound. The one that got away had most every option save the power top which I do not want under any circumstances.

Wait, first it was available, then it sold, then it was available again, then it sold again? What kind of mind games are they playing?
    The car was marked as sold but the owner had it. No mind games, just inventory confusion.

@jmonroe1,
    Most people are not as in tune to fuel mileage calcs as I am.
    I have a fuel mileage logs(hand written and a spreadsheet) on my Mustang going back 32+ years.

————————————————
    Not trying to argue but what do you do with 32 + years of fuel mileage data?

I know I’m the odd ball here because I don’t consider MPG when I buy a car. I buy cars with the biggest engine for the model I want. So, I know the MPG is not going to be good. In fact, far from it.

Yes, I’ve checked it a few times because of different driving conditions, just for fun, but I know it’s not going to change very much. It’s a fixed number and I can’t do anything about it.

jmonroe
    stickguy said:

I'm still trying to convince my son to not buy out his S4 next spring. I think that is a 2021 MY. He likes it. Less so after dropping a lot of money recently at 20K miles on new front rotors!

————————————————
    I’ve said this before, doing a disc brake job is one of the easiest things you can do on a car. Easier than changing plugs that are against the firewall.

If you want some fun do a drum brake job with hold down springs, return springs and self adjusting mechanisms. After that, disc brakes are a walk in the park. And if you’re only replacing the rotors (no pads) it doesn’t even register on the skill level chart.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

————————————————
    You’re not a newly wed so I’m sure you’ve had bad ideas before. Why not give it another try. You probably have more experience by now. B)

jmonroe
    I have a lot more experience. That's why I'm not arguing about it. :p

mjfloyd1 said:

venture said:

What’s the trade in value vs what you paid? Is this one going to sting?
    It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————
    I’ve said this before, doing a disc brake job is one of the easiest things you can do on a car. Easier than changing plugs that are against the firewall.

If you want some fun do a drum brake job with hold down springs, return springs and self adjusting mechanisms. After that, disc brakes are a walk in the park. And if you’re only replacing the rotors (no pads) it doesn’t even register on the skill level chart.

jmonroe
    I remember changing shoes and wondering which eye was going to get gouged out when the spring slipped out of the channel locks.

@stickguy said:

Warranty didn’t cover the rotors? I had a little pulsation on the XC and the dealer replaced them under warranty, no charge

andres3 said:

Is this the car that blew up on the road?

qbrozen said:

Those things were made for a much shorter demographic. What was wrong with the condition? It doesn’t look rusty in the picture.

With that Scooby Doo Mystery Machine stripe on the side, your van looks fast even standing still.

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Warranty didn’t cover the rotors? I had a little pulsation on the XC and the dealer replaced them under warranty, no charge

They said no. I would have argued but not my car. He did learn not to take it to the dealer for non warranty items though!

edited September 2023
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    I picked up a Mini at the dealer the other day and the bill for rear brakes was $900. That’s pretty close to the $2000 much disputed BMW full brake jobs that I’ve heard about.

@stickguy said:

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

They said no. I would have argued but not my car. He did learn not to take it to the dealer for non warranty items though!

Yeah I’d have argued too! Volvo was no questions asked. I thought they would have cut them, but it stated replacement on the invoice.

@tjc78 , that would net less room, though. I need the seat to go down and back further, and since it is already just pads bolted to the extreme limits of the cab, there is nowhere to go.

@oldfarmer50 , paint is faded and there are patches of silver paint covering rust. The spots feel solid so it could just have been surface rust. There is a patch of some kind of glue/putty on one of the frame rails. I have to remove that and see if it is covering a problem. Not sure what else it would be for, unless it was holding something there for whatever reason.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    I picked up a Mini at the dealer the other day and the bill for rear brakes was $900. That’s pretty close to the $2000 much disputed BMW full brake jobs that I’ve heard about.
    No doubt. Most BMW dealers are in the $1500-$2000 range for brakes (for both axles)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@qbrozen Stick-shift? 4WD?

I love those little trucks.. but, I wouldn't want one. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx said:

Yes and yes.

I thought turbo, too, but it is not. Just a higher spec NA (twin cam 12v 3-cyl). No AC and crank windows. :(
    Oh and manual steering so larger tires could be problematic.

qbrozen said:

@kyfdx said:

Yes and yes.

I thought turbo, too, but it is not. Just a higher spec NA (twin cam 12v 3-cyl). No AC and crank windows. :(

Oh and manual steering so larger tires could be problematic.

Somebody will want it.. That's the purpose, right? Sell and make money?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,594
    edited September 2023

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    We spent over $800 on our MINIs front rotors and pads. European parts can get pricey.

EDIT - this was not at the dealer, either.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4