Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

1301230133015301730183100

Comments

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 232,957
    One thing about BMWs.. the place to save the most money is with aftermarket rotors (and, a dealer brake job will always include new rotors). But, in every instance, I'm sorry I tried to save money, that way. I've been disappointed, every time.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247

    @jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    Not trying to argue but what do you do with 32 + years of fuel mileage data?

    I know I’m the odd ball here because I don’t consider MPG when I buy a car. I buy cars with the biggest engine for the model I want. So, I know the MPG is not going to be good. In fact, far from it.

    Yes, I’ve checked it a few times because of different driving conditions, just for fun, but I know it’s not going to change very much. It’s a fixed number and I can’t do anything about it.

    jmonroe

    I’ve always kept track of fuel mileage, but I’m a data nerd.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247

    The only cars in my garage that have needed brake work recently have been the Wrangler and the C43. I never touched the brakes on the 2er and the same is true of the Mini and the X1. The CBS in the X1 is indicating that front brakes will be needed at around 65k miles and rears at around 72k miles. Thanks to my BMW Rewards MC my out of pocket cost will be zero.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,809
    kyfdx said:



    Somebody will want it.. That's the purpose, right? Sell and make money?

    I had intended this one for myself. Use it as a yard tool, driveway plow, offroad toy, in-town runabout. But guess now it will be sold.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    venture said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    stickguy said:

    I'm still trying to convince my son to not buy out his S4 next spring. I think that is a 2021 MY. He likes it. Less so after dropping a lot of money recently at 20K miles on new front rotors!

    ————————————————
    I’ve said this before, doing a disc brake job is one of the easiest things you can do on a car. Easier than changing plugs that are against the firewall.

    If you want some fun do a drum brake job with hold down springs, return springs and self adjusting mechanisms. After that, disc brakes are a walk in the park. And if you’re only replacing the rotors (no pads) it doesn’t even register on the skill level chart.

    jmonroe
    I remember changing shoes and wondering which eye was going to get gouged out when the spring slipped out of the channel locks.
    ————————————————
    The first time I did a drum brake job I punched my self in the mouth when the pliers slipped off a return spring trying to put one on. That enforced the need to use the right tool for the job so I broke down and bought the $2.95 combination brake spring removal and installation tool. That was the best $2.95 I ever spent.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,226
    I did one brake job in my life, drum brakes on my duster when I was in high school. Don’t recall it being fun.

    Have watched disks done on YouTube videos plenty of times though.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,102
    There isn't much of a point in keeping track of fuel mileage over 32 years, other than it just something I do.
    I was happy to see that after the transmission was preplaced, the mileage got a lot better.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 232,957
    Many times, keeping track of fuel mileage has highlighted another mechanical issue that I wasn't aware of.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    edited September 2023
    nyccarguy said:

    @andres3 - not going to lie, it’s not going to be pretty trying to get rid of that S4. I know you keep it in immaculate condition, but the instant anybody sees a replacement engine and the fact you track the car, they are going to assume the worst.

    The replacement engine is an anomaly for sure, some will see it as a 20,000 mile car because of that, others will be wary. The car has never been tracked by me though. It's my daily beater/driver, albeit a good one. The TTS is the Audi getting tracked.

    I doubt the original owner who I have reason to suspect was an age-challenged person ever tracked it either. This is the reason the car has Michelin Pilot All-Season 4 on it. A spectacularly good all-season tire though.

    I'm convinced an Audi has to be driven hard or it will fall apart. It's the grandpa driven ones you have to be wary of. My TTS is only a few thousand miles behind and it still idles as smooth, balanced, and vibration free as any car I've ever been in.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    edited September 2023

    andres3 said:

    Anyone here have any interest in a clean 65,000 mile S4 with a fairly almost perfectly clean bill of health at the last service with Liqui-Moly 5w-40 oil change?

    I'd sell at private party value (fair price) but not trade-in value. As much as I love the car and not trying to get rid of it; it might be time for something new and to scratch the CCBA itch.

    Driving both of my Audi's, it's clear I'd rather part with the S4 than the TTS, the TTS is even better. Of course, if someone had a TTRS to trade, then it makes sense to get rid of the TTS, but only then.

    Is this the car that blew up on the road?
    No fire; just black smoke out the exhaust, and a dead engine from oil dilution via fuel being pumped into the engine. Has a brand new engine shipped out of Germany with only 20,000 miles on it. Brand new a lot of things with only 20K miles on them. :neutral:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    edited September 2023
    stickguy said:

    I'm still trying to convince my son to not buy out his S4 next spring. I think that is a 2021 MY. He likes it. Less so after dropping a lot of money recently at 20K miles on new front rotors!

    S4 rotors should be pretty cheap at a reputable shop; they are mass-produced as it's a common enough car. Of course, cheap is relative, but no more than $250 for the parts.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    edited September 2023
    mjfloyd1 said:

    @andres3 said:

    Anyone here have any interest in a clean 65,000 mile S4 with a fairly almost perfectly clean bill of health at the last service with Liqui-Moly 5w-40 oil change?

    I'd sell at private party value (fair price) but not trade-in value. As much as I love the car and not trying to get rid of it; it might be time for something new and to scratch the CCBA itch.

    Driving both of my Audi's, it's clear I'd rather part with the S4 than the TTS, the TTS is even better. Of course, if someone had a TTRS to trade, then it makes sense to get rid of the TTS, but only then.

    This is the one with the replacement engine?

    Yes, brand new from the factory in Germany with 0 miles when installed. No rusty dusty barely running junkyard co-parts here.

    What’s the trade towards a TTRS? Maybe trade both?


    The thought of trading both for a TTRS and M2 crossed my mind.

    How many key fobs?😂

    2 of course, want photos?

    Does it come with a RiteAid watch?😂

    I'll throw in a RiteAid watch for 1/2 off. :smile:


    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    tjc78 said:

    @stickguy said:

    I'm still trying to convince my son to not buy out his S4 next spring. I think that is a 2021 MY. He likes it. Less so after dropping a lot of money recently at 20K miles on new front rotors!

    Warranty didn’t cover the rotors? I had a little pulsation on the XC and the dealer replaced them under warranty, no charge


    S4's when driven "correctly" eat through rotors and brake pads. They are both fast and kind of heavy.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,809

    I’ve done drum brakes way more than I care to remember. When I worked for my dad, they made sure to assign all drum brake jobs to me so they could avoid them.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    edited September 2023
    andres3 said:

    tjc78 said:

    @stickguy said:

    I'm still trying to convince my son to not buy out his S4 next spring. I think that is a 2021 MY. He likes it. Less so after dropping a lot of money recently at 20K miles on new front rotors!

    Warranty didn’t cover the rotors? I had a little pulsation on the XC and the dealer replaced them under warranty, no charge

    S4's when driven "correctly" eat through rotors and brake pads. They are both fast and kind of heavy.
    ————————————————
    If that’s the case the brakes were under sized for the car. I remember Son #1 constantly complaining about the brakes on 2 of his Chrysler product vans eating up brakes at less than 20K miles. I also remember him saying he was glad he did the work himself otherwise the family would be having peanut butter sandwiches for dinner a lot of times.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,832
    I stopped at the Subaru place to make an appointment for inspection on the Ascent.

    When I left I went through the showroom. I heard a salesman telling someone he was talking to on the phone that the state says to charge a $449 doc fee and everyone must pay the same.

    The reality is the state says the maximum they can charge is $449 and it is negotiable. I don't know if these guys are stupid (I guess ignorant and lazy may be a better description) or liars.

    The law also says it must be disclosed on a sign in the dealership. They have a sign in the F&I offices...when it's too late. :o It used to be out in the showroom.

    I know, I know. We have talked about this before. It just makes me nuts.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    I just remembered this. I’m going to back peddle about not being able to do anything about gas mileage. I could let grandson #4 drive my cars. Here’s why:

    About a month ago my grandson decided he didn’t want to work for Walmart any more so he decided to deliver pizzas like his oldest brother did when he was 17. On his very first day he swerved to avoid hitting a deer and hit a landscape boulder on a center island at the entrance of a more up scale development. He was driving his Mini and banged up the AC condenser, the radiator and something else I can’t remember along with some plastic stuff. To keep the repair cost down Son #1 ordered original parts on line. Still came to hundreds of dollars doing it himself. Plus the cost to have the AC system charged.

    Anyway, my son didn’t want him using his X3 or Chevy SS or GMC, so he borrowed his grandmother’s Legacy that has a 6 cylinder which doesn’t get very good gas mileage and I told him that. He then wanted to know what the mileage was and I told him he’d be lucky getting 19 MPG delivering pizza. When he returned the car after 2 weeks he told me I should learn how to drive that car. When I asked him why he said he got almost 22 MPG.

    That’s pretty good for in town driving with that car but I’m not sure an old dog can learn new tricks. :'(

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    qbrozen said:

    I’ve done drum brakes way more than I care to remember. When I worked for my dad, they made sure to assign all drum brake jobs to me so they could avoid them.

    ————————————————
    All fathers are smart. o:)

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    When it rains it freaking pours! We moved to Costa Rica for a couple of reasons, one being my health which isn't good, its gotten worse since the car accident with 5 surgeries and chronic pain which will most likely never resolve but the warm climate helps a lot. The other reason was a much better education system for our son. When we moved here we were able to enroll him in a wonderful private school and he was able to see a pediatric neuropychologist within just a few days, something we had been on a waiting list for almost a year for in Alaska. She confirmed what we already suspected and diagnosed him with Autism and ADHD. While we did suspect this it was still heartbreaking. The school has been amazing and has gone above and beyond for our family. The tuition isn't cheap at $860/mo but then we were hit with another blow that he would require a para (a profession teacher's assistant to stay with him all day everyday) which would be an addition $1200/mo. We are still paying for the mortgage and bills for the house in Alaska so we are completely tapped out. Sadly we had to take money from his college fund to pay for the para until the end of the year.

    Just when things started to settle down our beloved "monkey tree" fell on the house. This is a HUGE ficus tree that our large family of howler monkeys would come and visit us in. We received quotes from $2500 to take down the whole tree to $700 to take down 1/2 of the tree, the most dangerous parts and get it off of the house and outdoor kitchen. Basically let it roll into the creek without damaging anything. I contacted our good friends and he brought his gardener out who agreed to do it for $285, just take down 1/2 of the tree. We could scrape that much up. We are completely tapped out. Just done.

    I just wish the RV would sell, we are still paying for that mistake. Daughter and her bf move into the house in Alaska in January and take it over thankfully. Still have my lovely little Pilot in the US and hubby goes back to Alaska next week to go back to work. I'll be hanging out in Costa Rica with the kid. We have the Nissan Frontier here, had to learn to drive a stick all over again.

    I know things will get better but right now I feel like I'm sitting on the bottom of the barrel with the world crushing me!
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    venture said:

    I stopped at the Subaru place to make an appointment for inspection on the Ascent.

    When I left I went through the showroom. I heard a salesman telling someone he was talking to on the phone that the state says to charge a $449 doc fee and everyone must pay the same.

    The reality is the state says the maximum they can charge is $449 and it is negotiable. I don't know if these guys are stupid (I guess ignorant and lazy may be a better description) or liars.

    The law also says it must be disclosed on a sign in the dealership. They have a sign in the F&I offices...when it's too late. :o It used to be out in the showroom.

    I know, I know. We have talked about this before. It just makes me nuts.

    ————————————————
    PA used to be pretty good with doc fees up until a few years ago. I seem to remember it being something like $150 then it started creeping up when the dealers association finally got to the legislators.

    To be honest , I’m surprised it stayed low for as long as it did.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    akangl -
    So sorry to hear of all your troubles!
    Hang in...
    - Ray
    Doing pretty well, overall. by comparison...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,316
    akangl said:

    When it rains it freaking pours! We moved to Costa Rica for a couple of reasons, one being my health which isn't good, its gotten worse since the car accident with 5 surgeries and chronic pain which will most likely never resolve but the warm climate helps a lot. The other reason was a much better education system for our son. When we moved here we were able to enroll him in a wonderful private school and he was able to see a pediatric neuropychologist within just a few days, something we had been on a waiting list for almost a year for in Alaska. She confirmed what we already suspected and diagnosed him with Autism and ADHD. While we did suspect this it was still heartbreaking. The school has been amazing and has gone above and beyond for our family. The tuition isn't cheap at $860/mo but then we were hit with another blow that he would require a para (a profession teacher's assistant to stay with him all day everyday) which would be an addition $1200/mo. We are still paying for the mortgage and bills for the house in Alaska so we are completely tapped out. Sadly we had to take money from his college fund to pay for the para until the end of the year.

    Just when things started to settle down our beloved "monkey tree" fell on the house. This is a HUGE ficus tree that our large family of howler monkeys would come and visit us in. We received quotes from $2500 to take down the whole tree to $700 to take down 1/2 of the tree, the most dangerous parts and get it off of the house and outdoor kitchen. Basically let it roll into the creek without damaging anything. I contacted our good friends and he brought his gardener out who agreed to do it for $285, just take down 1/2 of the tree. We could scrape that much up. We are completely tapped out. Just done.

    I just wish the RV would sell, we are still paying for that mistake. Daughter and her bf move into the house in Alaska in January and take it over thankfully. Still have my lovely little Pilot in the US and hubby goes back to Alaska next week to go back to work. I'll be hanging out in Costa Rica with the kid. We have the Nissan Frontier here, had to learn to drive a stick all over again.

    I know things will get better but right now I feel like I'm sitting on the bottom of the barrel with the world crushing me!

    So sorry you are going through this. No way around it, but is sucks, big time. The only thing that gets me through is trying to just take one day at a time. Sometimes that's too much too. Hang in there.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,884
    jmonroe1 said:

    I just remembered this. I’m going to back peddle about not being able to do anything about gas mileage. I could let grandson #4 drive my cars. Here’s why:

    About a month ago my grandson decided he didn’t want to work for Walmart any more so he decided to deliver pizzas like his oldest brother did when he was 17. On his very first day he swerved to avoid hitting a deer and hit a landscape boulder on a center island at the entrance of a more up scale development. He was driving his Mini and banged up the AC condenser, the radiator and something else I can’t remember along with some plastic stuff. To keep the repair cost down Son #1 ordered original parts on line. Still came to hundreds of dollars doing it himself. Plus the cost to have the AC system charged.

    Anyway, my son didn’t want him using his X3 or Chevy SS or GMC, so he borrowed his grandmother’s Legacy that has a 6 cylinder which doesn’t get very good gas mileage and I told him that. He then wanted to know what the mileage was and I told him he’d be lucky getting 19 MPG delivering pizza. When he returned the car after 2 weeks he told me I should learn how to drive that car. When I asked him why he said he got almost 22 MPG.

    That’s pretty good for in town driving with that car but I’m not sure an old dog can learn new tricks. :'(

    jmonroe

    So you let him drive the wife's car and not yours, lol.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,455
    kyfdx said:

    One thing about BMWs.. the place to save the most money is with aftermarket rotors (and, a dealer brake job will always include new rotors). But, in every instance, I'm sorry I tried to save money, that way. I've been disappointed, every time.

    Aftermarket can be a nightmare and not just for BMWs. When I had the rear O2 sensor replaced on the Express van the CEL code went from P0157 (sensor low voltage) to P0160 (sensor not working at all). I had my mechanic put in another one and the CEL went out. Seems the first one was bad out of the box.

    I think this guy is a NAPA shop and I was thinking it must be frustrating to have your affiliate supply you with junk that you have to install several times to get a good one.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352
    sda said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    I just remembered this. I’m going to back peddle about not being able to do anything about gas mileage. I could let grandson #4 drive my cars. Here’s why:

    About a month ago my grandson decided he didn’t want to work for Walmart any more so he decided to deliver pizzas like his oldest brother did when he was 17. On his very first day he swerved to avoid hitting a deer and hit a landscape boulder on a center island at the entrance of a more up scale development. He was driving his Mini and banged up the AC condenser, the radiator and something else I can’t remember along with some plastic stuff. To keep the repair cost down Son #1 ordered original parts on line. Still came to hundreds of dollars doing it himself. Plus the cost to have the AC system charged.

    Anyway, my son didn’t want him using his X3 or Chevy SS or GMC, so he borrowed his grandmother’s Legacy that has a 6 cylinder which doesn’t get very good gas mileage and I told him that. He then wanted to know what the mileage was and I told him he’d be lucky getting 19 MPG delivering pizza. When he returned the car after 2 weeks he told me I should learn how to drive that car. When I asked him why he said he got almost 22 MPG.

    That’s pretty good for in town driving with that car but I’m not sure an old dog can learn new tricks. :'(

    jmonroe

    So you let him drive the wife's car and not yours, lol.
    ————————————————
    The funny part about this is everyone knows better than to even think about that. Grandma said something like, “my car gets to be a pizza delivery machine while your car just sits all pretty in the garage”.

    All families have rules.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352

    kyfdx said:

    One thing about BMWs.. the place to save the most money is with aftermarket rotors (and, a dealer brake job will always include new rotors). But, in every instance, I'm sorry I tried to save money, that way. I've been disappointed, every time.

    Aftermarket can be a nightmare and not just for BMWs. When I had the rear O2 sensor replaced on the Express van the CEL code went from P0157 (sensor low voltage) to P0160 (sensor not working at all). I had my mechanic put in another one and the CEL went out. Seems the first one was bad out of the box.

    I think this guy is a NAPA shop and I was thinking it must be frustrating to have your affiliate supply you with junk that you have to install several times to get a good one.
    ————————————————
    I always got a kick out of junk yards that gave you a 60 or 90 day warranty. Sure, bring it back for a refund after you spent a day installing it and I’ll know not to sell it again. Folks have been shot for doing less that that.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,226

    kyfdx said:

    One thing about BMWs.. the place to save the most money is with aftermarket rotors (and, a dealer brake job will always include new rotors). But, in every instance, I'm sorry I tried to save money, that way. I've been disappointed, every time.

    Aftermarket can be a nightmare and not just for BMWs. When I had the rear O2 sensor replaced on the Express van the CEL code went from P0157 (sensor low voltage) to P0160 (sensor not working at all). I had my mechanic put in another one and the CEL went out. Seems the first one was bad out of the box.

    I think this guy is a NAPA shop and I was thinking it must be frustrating to have your affiliate supply you with junk that you have to install several times to get a good one.
    I watch a lot of the Youtube mechanics and one overriding theme is that the aftermarket parts, especially the cheap Amazon ones, are in general junk. For anything electronic especially, pay the extra to get OEM. Even on a simple car and not just a BMW>

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,455
    stickguy said:

    kyfdx said:

    One thing about BMWs.. the place to save the most money is with aftermarket rotors (and, a dealer brake job will always include new rotors). But, in every instance, I'm sorry I tried to save money, that way. I've been disappointed, every time.

    Aftermarket can be a nightmare and not just for BMWs. When I had the rear O2 sensor replaced on the Express van the CEL code went from P0157 (sensor low voltage) to P0160 (sensor not working at all). I had my mechanic put in another one and the CEL went out. Seems the first one was bad out of the box.

    I think this guy is a NAPA shop and I was thinking it must be frustrating to have your affiliate supply you with junk that you have to install several times to get a good one.
    I watch a lot of the Youtube mechanics and one overriding theme is that the aftermarket parts, especially the cheap Amazon ones, are in general junk. For anything electronic especially, pay the extra to get OEM. Even on a simple car and not just a BMW>
    I feel sorry for the shop. The second one didn’t cost me anything. He even did the labor for free. That’s why he’s my primary “guy”.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,809

    @jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    If that’s the case the brakes were under sized for the car. I remember Son #1 constantly complaining about the brakes on 2 of his Chrysler product vans eating up brakes at less than 20K miles. I also remember him saying he was glad he did the work himself otherwise the family would be having peanut butter sandwiches for dinner a lot of times.

    jmonroe

    As soon as the first set warped on our T&C, I found aftermarket rotors that were vastly superior and never had a minute’s trouble with them. Not sure if stock were inferior alloy or thickness or both.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247

    @oldfarmer50 said:
    Aftermarket can be a nightmare and not just for BMWs. When I had the rear O2 sensor replaced on the Express van the CEL code went from P0157 (sensor low voltage) to P0160 (sensor not working at all). I had my mechanic put in another one and the CEL went out. Seems the first one was bad out of the box.

    I think this guy is a NAPA shop and I was thinking it must be frustrating to have your affiliate supply you with junk that you have to install several times to get a good one.

    The trick -with European cars at least- is to buy from aftermarket companies that supply the OEM with the same parts. You can sometimes save over 50%.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247

    @graphicguy You were asking how the actual practice of law compares to how it’s portrayed on TV?
    Here’s my counsel table midway through the afternoon motion day docket. Every stack of papers is a separate plea offer that I presented to the judge.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,352

    @graphicguy You were asking how the actual practice of law compares to how it’s portrayed on TV?

    Here’s my counsel table midway through the afternoon motion day docket. Every stack of papers is a separate plea offer that I presented to the judge.

    ————————————————
    Looks easy enough. o:)

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,191
    @roadburner - if that mic doesn't have a mute button, it would begin to damage my calm. :D
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,920
    I'm not so sure it's a good idea to post a pic on a message board of documents at court proceedings (even if those are public) that can be easily expanded to make them very readable.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247

    They are all plea offers- which are already filed in the public court record. No SS numbers or other identifying information.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,714
    stickguy said:

    kyfdx said:

    One thing about BMWs.. the place to save the most money is with aftermarket rotors (and, a dealer brake job will always include new rotors). But, in every instance, I'm sorry I tried to save money, that way. I've been disappointed, every time.

    Aftermarket can be a nightmare and not just for BMWs. When I had the rear O2 sensor replaced on the Express van the CEL code went from P0157 (sensor low voltage) to P0160 (sensor not working at all). I had my mechanic put in another one and the CEL went out. Seems the first one was bad out of the box.

    I think this guy is a NAPA shop and I was thinking it must be frustrating to have your affiliate supply you with junk that you have to install several times to get a good one.
    I watch a lot of the Youtube mechanics and one overriding theme is that the aftermarket parts, especially the cheap Amazon ones, are in general junk. For anything electronic especially, pay the extra to get OEM. Even on a simple car and not just a BMW>
    Thems' is fightin' words to an insurance adjuster in the insurance cabal.

    As @roadburner mentioned, find the manufacturer of OEM parts to save; such as Zimmermann rotors for Audis. This is how S4 brake jobs don't have to cost that much.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,809

    @graphicguy You were asking how the actual practice of law compares to how it’s portrayed on TV?

    Here’s my counsel table midway through the afternoon motion day docket. Every stack of papers is a separate plea offer that I presented to the judge.

    Crazy, I know, but here is my suggestion. You are welcome.

    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Accordion-Organizer-Expanding-Expandable/dp/B0B56G3QS2

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,316
    akangl said:

    nyccarguy said:



    So sorry you are going through this. No way around it, but is sucks, big time. The only thing that gets me through is trying to just take one day at a time. Sometimes that's too much too. Hang in there.

    That's the truth. Trying to take it one day at a time. Yesterday was a meeting with a child psychiatrist from San Jose to see what he thinks as far as medication. He added on another diagnosis of Oppositional defiant disorder to the mix, definitely feeling even more defeated.

    On a bright note the tree is down and the house was minimally damaged. Just a minor dent in a rain gutter. Could have been so so much worse. Our sweet friend brought his gardeners and they did it for a fraction of the quoted cost by others.

    Hope things are looking up for you as well.
    Medication does help. For me one of the hardest parts was hearing the diagnosis and then talking to different people about it. It was upsetting to write as well as to say that my son is Autistic. I can promise you that you aren't alone. There are a lot of people out there with seemingly "normal" lives who have neuro-divergent children.

    Hope things are looking up for you as well

    Today is a good day.

    2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,733

    Congrats!!

    2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,232
    Nice car, @venture.

    Signature update required.

    And, a big fat check to deposit into your favorite financial institution.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,166
    How is the CVT with the turbo motor?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @venture, which car bit the dust? I assume the Ascent.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,247
    venture said:

    Well...I went and did it. I don't feel nearly as bad as I thought I would.





    Congratulations!

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,832
    mjfloyd1 said:

    How is the CVT with the turbo motor?

    My other Legacy had a turbo too. This CVT is, supposedly, a high torque CVT or some such nonsense. Anyway, it worked fine for the 3 years I had it. If you didn't know better, you would swear it had shift points.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,832
    carnaught said:

    @venture, which car bit the dust? I assume the Ascent.

    The BMW is gone.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,166
    The seven sisters thank you
Sign In or Register to comment.