Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 237,951
    venture said:

mjfloyd1 said:

How is the CVT with the turbo motor?

My other Legacy had a turbo too. This CVT is, supposedly, a high torque CVT or some such nonsense. Anyway, it worked fine for the 3 years I had it. If you didn't know better, you would swear it had shift points.
    Our 2015 Outback also has the software that mimics shifting like a traditional automatic transmission.

8+ years and almost 60,000 miles, and nary a problem with it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,093
    @venture,
    Congrats! Hope you enjoy it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,645

stickguy said:

@nyccarguy said:

Getting the Cross Climate 2s installed on the Highlander later this evening (5:30 PM) at Costco. We are going to look at a few colleges over the next several weeks (Ithaca, Vermont, American, Brandies, High Point) along with a hockey tournament sprinkled in (Marlboro, MA) so I'm happy to make the switch now. For logistical reasons (my wife won't be home in time), I took the Highlander to work and my wife is driving the Tacoma that doesn't have running boards. She's 5'4".

I’ve been to Ithaca and Burlington. Both nice towns. Better like hills in Ithaca though.

Better skiing near Burlington.

Not to mention the Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,347
    venture said:

mjfloyd1 said:

My other Legacy had a turbo too. This CVT is, supposedly, a high torque CVT or some such nonsense. Anyway, it worked fine for the 3 years I had it. If you didn't know better, you would swear it had shift points.
    ————————————————
    Same with Mrs. j’s 2018 Legacy Limited with the 6 cylinder. That tranny can really fool you or maybe the owners manual is a misprint.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,831
    When I was at the dealers today, a guy was happy because he got approved for an 84 month loan. :o

Where's Sandy?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,310

@venture - nice job! Those seats look great! Congratulations & enjoy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,188
    venture said:

When I was at the dealers today, a guy was happy because he got approved for an 84 month loan. :o

"That's the only way I can make it work and still make the minimum payments on my credit cards!"
    venture said:

Where's Sandy?

————————————————
    I guess I shouldn’t be surprise with an 84 month loan. How long before we see 96?

How many months did you put up with the BMW?

I should have wished you luck with the new ride before. Give us a progress report in a month or two if you still have it, @breldjunior.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,215
    Nice looking Sube. As you proved with the BMW, it's just a car. If you don't like it, dump it and get something different!

84? I had to do the mental math on that. Same length as the 7 year ARM mortgage I am applying for in case I need one. and I would never even come close to the reset mark if I do get it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Michael, if you haven't already at 60K, change that trans fluid!

stickguy said:

I should probably look into that with my next oil change in a month or two - I should be pretty close to the 60K mark by then.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,286

Congrats @venture!

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

A few have commented on their experience with Subaru’s CVT transmission. I thought the CVT in my 2015 Legacy did a good job at keeping the car in the sweet spot. It was the anemic engine I had a problem with.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

A few have commented on their experience with Subaru’s CVT transmission. I thought the CVT in my 2015 Legacy did a good job at keeping the car in the sweet spot. It was the anemic engine I had a problem with.

Wife refused to even consider the 2.5 in the Outback.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

nyccarguy said:

Yes. The 2.5 is only 182 HP and 176 lb-ft.

The 2.4 in my Sport is 260 HP and 277 lb-ft. Not a neck-snapper, but more than adequate...at least for me.

Subaru did a good job with their CVT's. I remember the first one I drove many years ago. It just kept winding up. Don't remember it ever actually felt or sounded like it shifted. I didn't buy a Subaru then because of that.

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

Where's Sandy?

————————————————
    I guess I shouldn’t be surprise with an 84 month loan. How long before we see 96?

How many months did you put up with the BMW?

I should have wished you luck with the new ride before. Give us a progress report in a month or two if you still have it, @breldjunior.

jmonroe
    I commented to one of the salesmen about an 84 month loan. He said he has had people get a 120 month loan. I don't know how expensive the most expensive Subaru is, but if you have to go 120 months, or even 84 months, you shouldn't be buying a new car, and they shouldn't be selling you one.

I got the BMW in the beginning of January so I had it almost 9 months. I began to not like it almost immediately, but figured I would get used to it. I didn't. It's not like I didn't own a BMW before either.

The Legacy is supposed to change for 2025 so who knows what might happen. :|

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,448
    stickguy said:

Nice looking Sube. As you proved with the BMW, it's just a car. If you don't like it, dump it and get something different!

84? I had to do the mental math on that. Same length as the 7 year ARM mortgage I am applying for in case I need one. and I would never even come close to the reset mark if I do get it.

What would the interest be on a loan like that assuming someone who needs it has less than perfect credit? I know my CU is up near 6% for 720+ scores so what’s the 600 score rate, 10%?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited September 2023
    stickguy said:

I’d do CVT fluid at 30k. I’ve even been rethinking the interval for a regular auto transmission.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,316
    edited September 2023

stickguy said:

What would the interest be on a loan like that assuming someone who needs it has less than perfect credit? I know my CU is up near 6% for 720+ scores so what’s the 600 score rate, 10%?
    That would be my guess. I thought I heard an ad with Ram offering 3.9% the other day.

I just checked my CU. New, 35k and above up to 7 years is 5.5%. Thats without clicking into any details.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,188

Got to see two Tucker 48s on this trip—one at The Henry Ford and one at the Laporte County Historical Society. They’re one of my favorite classic cars. I kind of feel like they were the Tesla of their time, except they had a string of bad luck (as did many hundreds of other failed automakers).

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,728

@nyccarguy said:

I remember that was your biggest complaint with that car. I wouldn’t have been happy either. My 17 Elantra was quite the putt putt mobile and the only bad thing I could say about that car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

That would be my guess. I thought I heard an ad with Ram offering 3.9% the other day.

I just checked my CU. New, 35k and above up to 7 years is 5.5%. Thats without clicking into any details.
    It’s worse than I thought, my CU offers top tier customers 7.74% on an 84 month loan but only if it’s a 2018 or newer. I’m guessing poor risk customers won’t do better than 12% if that.

I remember getting screwed on a 2 year auto loan @ 12% back in the 70s before lenders were required to divulge APR. of course being young and stupid I didn’t realize the salesman was lying about the rate.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 232,905

au1994 said:

stickguy said:

It’s worse than I thought, my CU offers top tier customers 7.74% on an 84 month loan but only if it’s a 2018 or newer. I’m guessing poor risk customers won’t do better than 12% if that.

I remember getting screwed on a 2 year auto loan @ 12% back in the 70s before lenders were required to divulge APR. of course being young and stupid I didn’t realize the salesman was lying about the rate.

When I paid off my car loan early, in the early 80s, they calculated the balance by the "rule of 78s". Talk about a ripoff.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Any decent rates in an ez apply loan for a car you currently own? Current model year at least! Might as well float my own credit to pay the deposits on the new house!

kyfdx said:

Tomorrow, my wife will have had her car for exactly six years.

The final payment on the 0% financing is October 6th.. :)

I'm just happy she made it this long.. has her eye on a Macan.

Hey, you've got a Porsche, why not her?

Base or S?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

You retired people really do live the good life!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,907
    kyfdx said:

I think I mentioned this before but yesterday it was official. I got a letter from Scotiabank saying my loan is finished on the ATS. Same 6 years at 0% as you.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Base or S?
    Base will be plenty for her.. she has a 4cyl turbo..no need for upgrades to power.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

stickguy said:

You had your chance...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

You could be THOSE people with matching color branded cars in your driveway:)

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,594
    On the subject of interest rates, my Charger is 8.04% for 72 months...and they said my credit is about as good as it gets! I didn't want to go that long, but they said that the rate was the same for 60 and 72 months. My plan is to pay it off in a few months, anyway.

I asked them about a 24 or 36 month loan, in the hopes of getting a better interest rate, as I don't like paying that 8.04% for even a few months. But oddly, the shorter term rates had an even higher APR! The finance guy said that it was because they're viewed as riskier, which seems strange to me. But, I was thinking in terms or home mortgages, where a 15 year is usually a lower interest rate than a 30. And the payment really doesn't go up THAT much. But, I guess with car loans, it's different, as the payment goes up fast as you shorten the term.

For instance, my monthly payment it $777/mo. Shortening it to a 36 month would jack the payment to around $1380, and a 24 month would be around $1991! So with that high of a payment, perhaps they just see too much of a potential for default.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,708
    Michaell said:

venture said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Our 2015 Outback also has the software that mimics shifting like a traditional automatic transmission.

8+ years and almost 60,000 miles, and nary a problem with it.
    The 3.6 is a good engine that has enough brawn to mask the deficiencies of CVT well. Test driving a 2.5 as well exposed the deficiencies far more obviously.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    nyccarguy said:

kyfdx said:

You could be THOSE people with matching color branded cars in your driveway:)
    The Macan is nice. Test drove two recently; one at Carmax. Then he talked me into a second test drive, my first Jaguar (the 2.5 compact SUV). The Macan makes the Jaguar feel and look like a Rav4 to me. I will give Jaguar credit for attractive interior ambient lighting.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited September 2023
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Base or S?
    Go for the Turbo in a used Macan. The GTS is all right if you don't mind a Honda-like spinning engine. The S is acceptable. I haven't driven a base Macan.... can't see it being acceptable for a Porsche. Remember, the Macan is a bank vault of weight.
    corvette said:

Got to see two Tucker 48s on this trip—one at The Henry Ford and one at the Laporte County Historical Society. They’re one of my favorite classic cars. I kind of feel like they were the Tesla of their time, except they had a string of bad luck (as did many hundreds of other failed automakers).

————————————————
    Yeah, bring back those big chrome bumpers that can shrug off parking lot seniors that still think they’re driving one.

jmonroe
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,728

Ok now I kinda miss my S60.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

stickguy said:

————————————————
    Now you know why we retired. How long does it take you to get the hint? :p

jmonroe
    Filled up the Explorer today ahead of our trip tomorrow.
    310 miles, MPG readout is 26.6. Distance to empty is not accurate, as I was filling the tank when I took the picture. It was about 140 when I stopped.
    Real MPG calc'ed out at 25.2, so it definitely lies.

Just filled up the Cayman... all puttering around town. 20 mpg.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yinz guys gotta get a life. :o

jmonroe
    @jmonroe1,
    In July, we put over 3K miles on the Explorer going to Madison, WI and Hatteras, NC.
    Tomorrow, will put add about 500 miles and expect to get back from the football game around 3am.
    I have a life, just not every day. HA HA.

@jmonroe1,
    In July, we put over 3K miles on the Explorer going to Madison, WI and Hatteras, NC.
    Tomorrow, will put add about 500 miles and expect to get back from the football game around 3am.
    I have a life, just not every day. HA HA.

————————————————
    And I’m sure you didn’t make a stop without checking your mileage. When I stop I don’t want to waste time getting to the boys room (that could be disastrous) and then to the snack counter. B)

jmonroe