Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,154
    Typical. And they wonder why we hate car salesmen.
    Perhaps not -- they most likely know. The question is whether they give a (wait, better yet) care. They think that whatever they're doing works, otherwise they wouldn't do it, much like robocalls.
    I agree 100%

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

The salesman was very nice, apologetic, & sincere when he pulled up with the Tacoma.  He asked off i was ready to go.  Didn’t even ask for a license.

This is only considered a “mid-sized” truck because of the 1/2 ton giants out there.  The Tacoma is far from small.

It was rush hour.  There was no way I’d be able to test the Tacoma on the highway.  I suggested we take to some of the streets that haven’t been re-paved yet.  Trying to negotiate a tight right turn out of the parking lot and I know I’m not in my Infiniti anymore.  It’s big, but far from cumbersome.  

The test drive was all side streets.  Lots of broken pavement & a steep incline after a stop.  

The steering inputs were very smooth and fluid.  I knew exactly what the front wheels were doing at all times.  

Braking was impressive too.  I didn’t do any sort of panic stop, but the pedal was very firm and easy to modulate.  Amazing that the rear brakes are drums.  

Suspension on is very well dampened.  I knew I was going over broken pavement, but at no time were my fillings in danger of falling out.

Overall I was impressed. 

After the test drive we sat down at the sales guy’s desk.  He asked me how I’d like to structure my lease.  I told him 24 months/12K per year.  Taxes & Fees Rolled into the payment.  As little due at signing as possible.  I asked him if they do leases with MSD (Multiple Security Deposits).  He said that they do, but that’s something I’d have to discuss with the business manager.    

He got got up to go talk to his manager and came back with some numbers.  MSRP of the vehicle is $43,345.  Selling price he said is $41,000.  Through US Bank with $500 Due At Signing the monthly payment (without MSD) would be $496 per month.  He said the same numbers with TFS (Toyota Financial Services) would be somewhere in “The Fives.”

I told him I really need to come back and drive the Tacoma again on the highway.  He agreed that I should given the car I’m driving now.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,657
    That doesn't sound like a great deal at $496 or in the $500s. :@
    corvette said:
    That doesn't sound like a great deal at $496 or in the $500s. :@
    Not at all. He didn’t know (or wasn’t told) what the US Bank Lease Rates & Money Factor are.

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,543
    Leases almost as bad as an E wagon B)

I thought I had seen $299 deals on those, but maybe base models. Around here, a 4Runner or Taco is definitely an "active" hockey dad kind of vehicle, in the same vein a Subaru is for wild outdoorsy office workers, so it might suit you well.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,330
    12K miles? What's the plan? 2/3 miles on the truck, 1/3 to the Prelude? I assume you are selling the Infiniti of course.

getting it out on the highway is important. See how it cuts in and out and handles high speeds.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,337
    I stopped by my local Jag dealer last week, wanted to look at a 2016 F-Type S AWD. Nice, young sales dude told me the car wasn't on the main lot, hadn't been prepped yet. But, he'd be glad to go get it, let me take it for a spin. No, thanks, I"m not quite ready to do that yet. So, said I'd be back, took his card. May stop by again tomorrow night.

Not all are sales folks are the same.

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

stickguy said:
    12K miles? What's the plan? 2/3 miles on the truck, 1/3 to the Prelude? I assume you are selling the Infiniti of course. getting it out on the highway is important. See how it cuts in and out and handles high speeds.
    Yes.  Selling the Infiniti.  TFS only charges $.15 per mile over your mileage.  If I go with the Tacoma, I’ll be giving them extra money in the form of MSD.  The MSD will buy down the interest rate.  When the lease is up, they’ll take the MSD and use it to pay for the over mileage charges.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,330
    complicated plan, but whatever works for you!

at least if you decide on a whim to bring home a new tub from work, you can just toss it in the back.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

stickguy said:
    complicated plan, but whatever works for you! at least if you decide on a whim to bring home a new tub from work, you can just toss it in the back.
    It is, but if I’m going to give TFS the money anyway, why pay more during the lease with a money factor that equates to over 6%.  I might as well enjoy the “lower” payment.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,708
    stickguy said:

complicated plan, but whatever works for you!

at least if you decide on a whim to bring home a new tub from work, you can just toss it in the back.

Probably won't fit in a Tacoma bed. ;)

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,392
    @nyccarguy
    I’m sure you know, but you can do better on the Taco once you decide to dig in deeper.  

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,240
    nyccarguy said:

After the test drive we sat down at the sales guy’s desk.  He asked me how I’d like to structure my lease.  I told him 24 months/12K per year.  Taxes & Fees Rolled into the payment.  As little due at signing as possible.  I asked him if they do leases with MSD (Multiple Security Deposits).  He said that they do, but that’s something I’d have to discuss with the business manager.    

He got got up to go talk to his manager and came back with some numbers.  MSRP of the vehicle is $43,345.  Selling price he said is $41,000.  Through US Bank with $500 Due At Signing the monthly payment (without MSD) would be $496 per month.  He said the same numbers with TFS (Toyota Financial Services) would be somewhere in “The Fives.”

I told him I really need to come back and drive the Tacoma again on the highway.  He agreed that I should given the car I’m driving now.

Based on the MSRP I'm guessing this was either a TRD Sport w/Premium Package or TRD Off Road?

Compared to what some of the brokers on LH have been throwing out those quotes seem high. A broker outside of Philly has Tacomas in the high 2's, low 3s.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base -2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL
    tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy
    I’m sure you know, but you can do better on the Taco once you decide to dig in deeper.  

Yes I do. I had to test drive locally and go through the motions.

pensfan83 said:

nyccarguy said:

Based on the MSRP I'm guessing this was either a TRD Sport w/Premium Package or TRD Off Road?

Compared to what some of the brokers on LH have been throwing out those quotes seem high. A broker outside of Philly has Tacomas in the high 2's, low 3s.
    TRD Sport w/ Premuim. I'm in contact with 2 of them.

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,425
    @marcogallo1986 ...good luck with the interview.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • breldbreld Posts: 4,401
    Good luck with the search and dealing @nyccarguy - very exciting!  

2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Audi A5 - 2017 Miata RF

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Posts: 621
     Thank you graphic guy, interview went well, the girl was very nice, and he will help me fill out the application and read everything thoroughly. She was probably around my age maybe a little older or younger who knows, but she sounded young that’s for sure. So hoping for the best and staying positive and keeping my fingers crossed. 
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,708
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy

Look for window sticker options like stepbars/running boards and tonneau cover. Those options are dirt cheap when residualized, but pricey, if you want to add them later.

My son had to have step bars... $507 on Amazon. Would have been $3/mo, if they were port or factory installed.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Nice on the restaurant you went on yesterday New York car guy. Yes best to go test drive it again and take it on the highway. How much you really decide on that truck then you could put multiple dealers against each other I’m sure the lease numbers would be different you be surprised. But with one of the brokers like mentioned above. You should also go test drive a Ranger, is that a similar size to the Tacoma not sure. Or even a Colorado, I know you said you’re open to an F1 50 maybe even try one of those two. And get these numbers on the wall 
    Lol  damn voice dictation, this things make me laugh all the time, I have to make it better Alexa seems to understand me better than this damn iPhone ha ha Ha. I know you got what I meant above New York Park by and everyone else in here. 
     Thank you car not, interview went well. 
     Thank you Floyd one, interview went well yesterday. 
     I agree with your comment  Wzest  that’s the main thing that everyone’s OK, I think they should find out when adjuster goes to look at the car I think by the end of this week supposedly or next week, if it’s going to be totaled or fixed. I think only all the airbags went off on the driver side where it was hit, supposedly you know I don’t have the full story though. I know glass was broken. So we’ll see they got a lawyer because they clean they don’t want the car universe fixable, I said that might be a bit premature, it’s a lease   So I would think if the damage is going to be more than what’s left on the lease but just total it. It’s not like they bought the car even saw the damage is it crazy amount I would think they would wanna bother with it. But we shall see I told him if they fix it they can just go trade it in because regardless they’re gonna be responsible for the rest of the lease payments. So hopefully it’ll just total it and make things easy. To be continued as soon as I find out more. 
    kyfdx said:
    @nyccarguy
    Look for window sticker options like stepbars/running boards and tonneau cover. Those options are dirt cheap when residualized, but pricey, if you want to add them later. My son had to have step bars... $507 on Amazon. Would have been $3/mo, if they were port or factory installed.
    The tonneau cover is something I’ll definitely want.  Step bars too.  Thanks for the info!

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,551
    Good start, @nyccarguy. They are really good looking trucks and I am enjoying living vicariously on this one.

Once you show them you are serious and put up your MSD's, I don't think you'll have a problem getting the numbers where you need them to be.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,657
    Paging @roadburner - any idea what the heck happened? 

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,551
    I would not be happy if I were a Louisville Mini owner.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,032
    Indianapolis!! Seriously?
    2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i