Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,886

@kyfdx said:
    Some of our numbers will be reduced by the $9K+ we made on the TDIs. :)

Forgot all about that. Some of you did very well

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,470

Sorry I missed the TDI event. But I did made about a $6k profit for driving a maverick for 15 months!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,801
    Speaking of which, I found this on my laptop the other day ... seems appropriate to post it now:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Some sweet deals on that list.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,381
    After I bought mine, I went into overdrive trying to find another one. But, a week later, impossible to find.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,255
    At the time, there was a used car dealer in Lexington that was showing five of them in stock at decent prices. It was tempting to make an offer for some sort of a package deal on all five. I would have had to have stored at least a couple of them elsewhere, though--either at my parents' house, or my family's farm.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,407
    I would have made out like a bandit if I wasn't so hellbent on owning a car with AWD or 4WD. I took a lengthy test drive in a Passat TDI which I really enjoyed and instead chose a cheaper, completely gutless Legacy.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy said:
    I would have made out like a bandit if I wasn't so hellbent on owning a car with AWD or 4WD. I took a lengthy test drive in a Passat TDI which I really enjoyed and instead chose a cheaper, completely gutless Legacy.

That Legacy was definitely not one of your favorites!

tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy said:

That Legacy was definitely not one of your favorites!

I think I might have hinted at my dislike once or twice here during its tenure with me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I saw a gorgeous X3///M Competition on my way in today. I think it was Brooklyn Grey. Had a few minutes while I was waiting on hold and decided to "build my own." $90K!

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,262

@kyfdx said:
    After I bought mine, I went into overdrive trying to find another one. But, a week later, impossible to find.

Same here. I wanted to buy enough to fill my semi circle driveway but the wife was not all in. Sigh

My TDI was already a buyback for a blown turbo and had a new engine and turbocharger. 😂

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,920
    Michaell said:

Speaking of which, I found this on my laptop the other day ... seems appropriate to post it now:

Thanks! I couldn't recall what I made on that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,775
    stickguy said:

At this point I’m lucky I can remember all the cars I owned. A real stretch remembering what I paid for them. And really a guess what I sold them for!

So true! I need to think about the sale price on a few of them. I had most of the other information already in my spreadsheet, but I didn't think to write down the value at disposal, in most cases.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,952

Jeep at the bottom, VW not much better. Get with it guys!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I actually used a calculator this time and added a new column to my spreadsheet to track gross cost. Showing a net loss of $197k. So not as bad as originally guessed.

Taking that number and dividing by 57 total driver years (33 for me and 24 for the wife), it comes to $288/mo.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,068
    edited February 28
    Don’t tell Car Wizard on YT about that list.

CR seems very much in love with BMW/Mini these days. They are not makes that I would place anywhere near the top of a list of models that are inexpensive or easy to live with long-term, but maybe I’m wrong and things have changed.

I’m having a hard time understanding what the icons on their chart are trying to indicate. The misspelling of “Ownder Satisfaction” on the full web version of their chart is also a bit embarrassing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,524
    tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

At this point I’m lucky I can remember all the cars I owned. A real stretch remembering what I paid for them. And really a guess what I sold them for!

Yeah it took some thinking.

Also noticed another mistake. My Ram is 2022 lol

————————————————-
    Let us know when you’re finished revising your list so we’ll know if you made the cut. So far, just so-so. ;)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    ab348 said:

CR seems very much in love with BMW/Mini these days. They are not makes that I would place anywhere near the top of a list of models that are inexpensive or easy to live with long-term, but maybe I’m wrong and things have changed.

I’m having a hard time understanding what the icons on their chart are trying to indicate. The misspelling of “Ownder Satisfaction” on the full web version of their chart is also a bit embarrassing.

Mechanics don't deal with brand new cars. His comments about brands to avoid are as older, used cars.

The No Mark Up Toyota FB group is bad for my CCBA. There's a dealer that posted something like $3,600 off of a $40K '23 GR Corolla Core.

ab348 said:

Yeah, I ownder. What of it?!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Punch to report:

That looks really nice! Congrats, OF. What are the details?
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    That looks incredibly clean OF!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    edited February 28
    6 months to go on the Jeep. Residual is ~$35,8xx and current payoff is $37,xxx. Last time I ran it through Carvana a few months ago, they hit it at $39,xx. Maybe there’s a hint of equity at the end?? EDIT- Ouch, reran Carvana…$30k.

I can get a Maverick at invoice but I probably need to decide in the next 2 months as my dealer quoted a 4 mo lead-time.

I’d consider a Grand Cherokee but I doubt I can get a Limited for anywhere near what I am paying on the 4xe.

Not a whole lot else in a reasonable price range I’m interested in staying in the small truck/mid-size non lux SUV world.

Anybody heard of any killer leases on a Tacoma or Frontier?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,716
    mjfloyd1 said:
    Woo Hoo! 2/3 of our fleet are #1!

Although, almost 3 years into Audi ownership, not an issue to report. Some minor recalls, but nothing has failed/broken. A7 remains a fine piece of work.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Adding up all my lease payments, and net depreciation on cars I've owned, then I'm around $290K (very roughly)

But, that includes the last three vehicles which were about $105K aquisition price, total, and which I still own. Estimate they are still worth $70K, if sold.. So, net drops to about $220K.

That's for me since 1976, and my wife, starting in 1994, when we acquired her first vehicle since we married.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Congrats, @oldfarmer50. Must have been hard to find a regular cab.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,292
    @oldfarmer50,
    Chrome bumpers and a tonneau cover. You went all Beverly Hillbillies on us. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Punch to report:

————————————————
    So you caved.

I can’t tell from the pic, is that an 8 foot bed? If not it has to be 6 1/2 feet anyhow.

Looks rust free. Good luck with it.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,629
    xwesx said:

Punch to report:

That looks really nice! Congrats, OF. What are the details?
    2013 F-150 XL RWD. 3.7L V6. 302hp. 8’ bed. Tow package and some appearance options. Remote start and cruise. Pretty well equipped for a stripper, it even has Sync although I’ll never use that.

The best part (fetish alert) no rust and only 30k miles.😇

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

au1994 said:

That looks incredibly clean OF!

Straight buy bid from the estate of some other old farmer.🧑‍🌾 As one guy said, it must have been his weekend truck.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

Congrats, @oldfarmer50. Must have been hard to find a regular cab.

The only one I’ve seen listed in my price/milage range for 100 miles.

nyccarguy said:

The No Mark Up Toyota FB group is bad for my CCBA. There's a dealer that posted something like $3,600 off of a $40K '23 GR Corolla Core.

huh. I could be interested in that, depending on how it is equipped!

super nice looking trust. miles explain no rust, because that would be rotted if it saw regular winter time use.

good job.

I gotta believe the 2WD anchored it to the lot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 28
    oldfarmer50's car buying philosophy.
    https://youtu.be/eBShN8qT4lk?t=32
    Michaell said:

I gotta believe the 2WD anchored it to the lot.

That’s the consensus. They also all want extra cabs with rolling entertainment studios.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,503
    Yeah, but you'll never get a proper grunt count from the Bro-dozer contingent here in AZ. You get one grunt for every two inches the truck is raised, one grunt for every inch that the tires extend beyond the fenders, and four grunts for duals (these get deleted if the truck has commercial signage and signs of actual use).

Seriously, it looks like a very useful vehicle, and you'll probably actually use it for its intended purpose.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@oldfarmer50
    Exactly what you’ve been looking for. Congrats

jmonroe1 said:

Punch to report:

————————————————
    So you caved.

I can’t tell from the pic, is that an 8 foot bed? If not it has to be 6 1/2 feet anyhow.

Looks rust free. Good luck with it.

jmonroe
    I guess we both did.

It was one of the toughest negotiations I’ve ever been through. They started off high, I low balled, they acted like I wanted their 1st. born but came down some more. I walked and then they had the internet closer texting me multiple times asking “what can we do?” I said meet my price…”no, the manager is rock solid at our price”. Then they lowered the price $100, I countered, they came down another $50, I said stick it and asked them if they really wanted to pay another month of floor plan. They threatened that if I wouldn’t buy it they would send it to auction where they could make more money. I said you do that but you’ll have to take your bogus “vin etching” $200 fee off the auction.

5 minutes later they called back and agreed to accept my offer if I absolutely took delivery by the end of the month. (See, floor plan is a real problem for dealers).

As a final move I made the deal contingent on it passing a PPI. They agreed, it passed and the rest is history. $14,300 plus TTL out the door. No silly vin etching or other bogus fees.
    ————————————————
    That’s the way to do it. The end of the month is real and so is the end of the day. Here’s my tale on that:

When we lived in SC I decided to buy another car. Did some shopping, the prices weren’t bad but not quite to my liking. Went into a Pontiac dealer late one Friday afternoon and got to bickering on the price of a used ‘95 Bonneville with not even 7K miles on it in August of ‘95.

So the story went, the car was previously owned by a retired Pontiac exec. Quite a story about that but I don’t want to get into that now. Anyway, we went back and forth, really just back, because I never backed off of my price. It was getting close to quitting time and the salesman played the game of going to his sales manager. After sitting there for a few minutes some of the lights were turned off. I said to Mrs, j something like, “let’s get out of here and we’ll go back and talk to Johnny at the Buick dealer tomorrow” (which was right next door). All of a sudden the salesman heads me off as I’m going to the door. He yells out, “hold it, we’ll meet your price”. I was about to keep walking because I didn’t like the game playing but figured why cut off my nose to spite my face and go through another negotiating session the next day, and besides, I liked the Bonneville more than the LeSabre anyway. I then said to the salesman, “why is my offer better now than it was 20 minutes ago”? His reply was, “you can see we’re closing and I won’t have another chance to sell that car today”.

Yep, timing is everything.

jmonroe

@oldfarmer50 said:
    That’s the consensus. They also all want extra cabs with rolling entertainment studios.

You definitely need to lift it, put purple lights in the wheel wells, & put on tires that stick out.

I’m kinda surprised it’s not white.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited February 28

@stickguy said:
    miles explain no rust

And RWD, so it could never go out in foul weather anyway.

Nice tool, though, OF. Probably a fantastic deal up there, I’d imagine.

there are so few 10 YO trucks that aren't rotted out up here it is sad. If they are, it was either a garage queen like OFs, or came from the south!

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,600

@stickguy said:
    huh. I could be interested in that, depending on how it is equipped!

Do. It.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

@qbrozen,
    2WD pickups are no problem in snow. Just add some weight over the rear axle. I drove one through 4 winters while my nice car stayed in the garage.
    2WD are really hard to find around here, but there is always a contingent that wants them. In 2016, my friend asked for help in finding a lightly used F-150, but he would only consider RWD (which was the configuration of his 20 yr old F-150).

It took awhile, but he found a 2013 Extended Cab XLT with RWD, with 35K miles. Still driving it at 100K+.

Around here, they go quick, because they're "rare". lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator