Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    tifighter said:

Mandatory ceramic coating pkg. on the '22 X3, but since they were discounting it $3700 at the time, ok... It's pretty neat, car cleans easily and shine remains. But, so does the NuFinish on the A7 and M240, tbh.

I think the Jag I-Pace at the bottom of the hill has been replaced by a Mach E. Still no fires that I'm aware of.
    I'm shedding a tear for the seemingly fading away Jaguar brand.

And I'm strangely intrigued by the Lucid Air, now that the base models have come down to reasonably unaffordable level. Let's see how the company does this year, I won't consider replacing the A7 until the warranty is up next year.
    But I'm also getting a Porsche itch...
    Sorry, today was bonus payment, so I'm a bit giddy. Not to mention Dell stock going up 31+% today! If only I had a wheel barrow full amount of shares.

Do you have to use something special to wash the coated car?

A buddy of mine grabbed a nice chunk of NVDA a while back. He's having a custom house built in a resort town now...
    Not that I know of... or remember. I take to local touchless, occasionally full service wash (on 1/2 price days, of course).

I bought EMC oh, so long ago. Through the years stock splits and acquisitions led to a few Dell shares. I bought a few more a bit ago, figuring some growth and a dividend. Sigh, small time player, small time victories.
    No houses or cars based upon any of my stock holdings. Well, maybe if I wanted to cash in all my ORCL, an interesting car. Because I'm that smart financially, turn an appreciating, dividend paying asset into a disappearing act! Hello, DB11!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,638
    edited March 2

tifighter said:

Mandatory ceramic coating pkg. on the '22 X3, but since they were discounting it $3700 at the time, ok... It's pretty neat, car cleans easily and shine remains. But, so does the NuFinish on the A7 and M240, tbh.

I think the Jag I-Pace at the bottom of the hill has been replaced by a Mach E. Still no fires that I'm aware of.
    I'm shedding a tear for the seemingly fading away Jaguar brand.

And I'm strangely intrigued by the Lucid Air, now that the base models have come down to reasonably unaffordable level. Let's see how the company does this year, I won't consider replacing the A7 until the warranty is up next year.
    But I'm also getting a Porsche itch...
    Sorry, today was bonus payment, so I'm a bit giddy. Not to mention Dell stock going up 31+% today! If only I had a wheel barrow full amount of shares.

Do you have to use something special to wash the coated car?

A buddy of mine grabbed a nice chunk of NVDA a while back. He's having a custom house built in a resort town now...
    Not that I know of... or remember. I take to local touchless, occasionally full service wash (on 1/2 price days, of course).

I bought EMC oh, so long ago. Through the years stock splits and acquisitions led to a few Dell shares. I bought a few more a bit ago, figuring some growth and a dividend. Sigh, small time player, small time victories.
    No houses or cars based upon any of my stock holdings. Well, maybe if I wanted to cash in all my ORCL, an interesting car. Because I'm that smart financially, turn an appreciating, dividend paying asset into a disappearing act! Hello, DB11!
    I found out a long time ago that for me, individual stocks were like rolling dice. Half the ones I picked were winners, half (including broker recommendations) were dogs. Now I just put my money in a range of mutual funds and let someone else do the worrying.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I found out a long time ago that for me, individual stocks were like rolling dice. Half the ones I picked were winners, half (including broker recommendations) were dogs. Now I just put my money in a range of mutual funds and let someone else do the worrying.

I've been lucky, more winners than losers (actually very few losers). But as mentioned, I'm small time and I buy and hoooooold.....

Most of my investments are in mutuals in retirement accounts. About to turn another retirement age number, thinking more and more of cutting the cord. But wife first and she's a nervous Nellie regarding losing her (quite decent) paycheck and bonus'.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,624
    We have the majority of our investments in big mutual funds within our 401Ks.

But, I opened a self-directed IRA in 1983. That's always been in individual stocks. Plus, we bought shares of our employer stock. Then, when CD rates went to crap around 2009, I started putting cash into a brokerage account and buying individual stocks.

Now, across all accounts, about 15%-20% of our holdings are individual stocks. I have definitely not done as well with those stocks, as if I'd just put them in mutual funds with the rest of our funds. But, it interests me, and keeps me engaged with our investments.

My big winner is MSFT. I bought 300 shares for my IRA in 2006 at $24/sh. Now, 18 years is a long holding period, but even then, the return is spectacular.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well done w/MSFT. For so long could have purchased in the mid $20s. Did I? Nooooooo. Coward of the county. Not sure if it has helped or hurt my finances, playing the cowardly individual stock lion.
    But, many MSFT shares in funds.

I'll up your long holding period with; I bought ORCL (and EMC) in 1995 and still have all (split adjusted) shares (currently a ~30 bagger). Ouch, I hurt myself patting myself on the back...
    Now, I'll just ignore some of the tech/biotech stock of the moment mistakes...

Well done w/MSFT. For so long could have purchased in the mid $20s. Did I? Nooooooo. Coward of the county. Not sure if it has helped or hurt my finances, playing the cowardly individual stock lion.
    But, many MSFT shares in funds.

I'll up your long holding period with; I bought ORCL (and EMC) in 1995 and still have all (split adjusted) shares (currently a ~30 bagger). Ouch, I hurt myself patting myself on the back...
    Now, I'll just ignore some of the tech/biotech stock of the moment mistakes...

A friend has LLY at a basis of $34/sh. (1000 shares!)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,898

@kyfdx said:

But, I opened a self-directed IRA in 1983. That's always been in individual stocks. Plus, we bought shares of our employer stock. Then, when CD rates went to crap around 2009, I started putting cash into a brokerage account and buying individual stocks.

Now, across all accounts, about 15%-20% of our holdings are individual stocks. I have definitely not done as well with those stocks, as if I'd just put them in mutual funds with the rest of our funds. But, it interests me, and keeps me engaged with our investments.

My big winner is MSFT. I bought 300 shares for my IRA in 2006 at $24/sh. Now, 18 years is a long holding period, but even then, the return is spectacular.

I know you’re pretty knowledgeable about investing…. I had a pretty sizable 401K when my job of 20 years folded. I rolled 3/4 of it into my new employer’s 401K (which I invest and they match me) and the other 1/4 is in a IRA. I’m going to do some research because it isn’t making much and I’d like to do something similar to what you did but don’t know how.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,537

I had a little scare on the new truck yesterday. For some reason the cooling fans turned on and stayed on high. It was only in the 30s so I thought this odd. Suddenly I had buyer’s remorse as my new ride didn’t go a week before needing repairs.

I went on the trusty interwebs and found that, among other causes, a bad high pressure AC sensor could be the culprit. I located it and gave it a couple of jiggles. Fixed.

I might have to replace it some day but for now, I’m pretty pleased with myself.

————————————————-
    That doesn’t sound like a bad AC sensor, more like the connector on it. If I’m reading you right you fiddled with the connector and didn’t rap on the sensor itself. Look for corrosion on the connector or lose contacts on the connector itself before doing anything else.

Years ago (at least 8) when we returned from vacation my AC didn’t work. The compressor didn’t come on. I checked to see if there was control voltage at the outside unit and there was but the compressor contactor didn’t pull in. I found that the low freon sensor was open and didn’t allow voltage to the compressor contactor coil. That sensor is a safety so the compressor doesn’t run due to low freon, which would burn it up. Just to see if the compressor would run I used a wooden dowel to mechanically push in the contactor. I was expecting to hear bad noises due to low freon but I didn’t. The compressor ran with its normal hum. I then rapped on the sensor to see if I could break lose the stuck contact inside of it. No luck, it stayed in the open position. I then decided to remove the connector on the low freon sensor and jumper it out for awhile rather than continuously pushing the contactor closed with the dowel rod (that gets tiring after a while). I had to sit out there for at least 20 minutes waiting for bad noises to appear but the compressor continued to run with its normal hum and the discharge vents inside the house had cool air just like normal.

That connector is now permanently jumpered. To change the low freon sensor requires removing it from the charged system then recharging the system with freon which would cost hundreds of bucks without the cost of replacing the sensor itself and the labor to braze it into the charged system.

Just open the hood every now and then to make sure the connector is still tight and you’ll probably be fine for many miles.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Employee Stock Discount Purchase Programs have done well for me (and the late ex). Not in our retirement plans, but hers helped us pay off our home (when her company was acquired), my current is a slow grower to help with retirement.

TJC, time in the market, not timing the market... When in doubt, simply review S&P 500 (or broad market) funds (Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.). For example, the bulk of my 401k is divided into 3 Vanguard S&P 500 funds; Value, Blend and Growth. Needless to say, the Growth fund has been berry, berry good to me (well, not so much in 2022, ouch).
    Bond funds for the past several years, how shall I say this, have sucked. But nice that finally cash funds (brokerage parking for investment dollars, money markets, state muni bond...) are paying ~5%).

And remember, my advice is worth exactly what you're paying me for it!

kyfdx said:

tjc78 said:

@kyfdx said:

I know you’re pretty knowledgeable about investing…. I had a pretty sizable 401K when my job of 20 years folded. I rolled 3/4 of it into my new employer’s 401K (which I invest and they match me) and the other 1/4 is in a IRA. I’m going to do some research because it isn’t making much and I’d like to do something similar to what you did but don’t know how.

I would suggest sticking with the mutual funds for all retirement accounts. As noted, I've done better in the 401Ks than I have on my own. I didn't list my 500 failures. :D
    ————————————————
    Who does? No fun in doing that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259

Now I just put my money in a range of mutual funds and let someone else do the worrying.

Same here, other than a small position in Berkshire Hathaway.
    @laurasdada
    My wife and I have stock from an ESPP. Most bought between ‘84 and ‘92.

Basis: $5-$10
    Current: $240

It’s hard to beat 30-40 years in the market.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

tjc78 said:

I had a pretty sizable 401K when my job of 20 years folded. I rolled 3/4 of it into my new employer’s 401K (which I invest and they match me) and the other 1/4 is in a IRA. I’m going to do some research because it isn’t making much...

For tax advantaged accounts, I use and recommend the target date retirement funds, which automatically reduce stock exposure as they get closer to the target date. However, I think I will hop off that bandwagon and switch to static balanced funds at some point--some of those funds go down to a stock exposure of 30% or so in retirement, which is lower than I'd prefer.

We also have a Stock Market and Investing discussion here, although it isn't very active.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,949
    corvette said:

We also have a Stock Market and Investing discussion here, although it isn't very active.

Because all the posts are here!

I moved my 401(k) to a mix of IRA's last year, after the layoff. The 401(k) monies were invested in the target date funds, which are promoted to do as you say - reduce risk as you get older. Found out that isn't 100% true, depending on your appetite for risk.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Thanks everyone!

@corvette
    You can play around with those target date funds to increase your stock exposure. More based on when you need the money.

My 67 yr old wife, who retired 11 years ago has both 2025 and 2030 target date funds. 😂😂

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,343
    Just ordered...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Just ordered...

Why is it equipped with wet tires? :sunglasses:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Just ordered...

————————————————-
    I think your off-topic. B)

jmonroe

@roadburner
    I like that one. Maybe I’ll get for my son.

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 869
    I believe one of the owners of the Broncos drives that car...
    dad23 said:

I believe one of the owners of the Broncos drives that car...

But only for this year ... next year, he'll be driving a Ferrari.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

kyfdx said:

@corvette
    You can play around with those target date funds to increase your stock exposure. More based on when you need the money.

Currently doing that. At some point, I expect I would settle on a fixed percentage of stocks for the duration, but that number is likely to be more than the 30% that the target date funds veer towards.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,296
    I've been moving our target date funds towards when we will start having to withdraw from them instead of actual retirement date.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,505

That’s how I look at it too. Even if I retire soon at 63, I would not be touching the bulk of the retirement savings for 10 years (only because the IRS made me)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

corvette said:

kyfdx said:

@corvette

Currently doing that. At some point, I expect I would settle on a fixed percentage of stocks for the duration, but that number is likely to be more than the 30% that the target date funds veer towards.
    Just be careful. Some of the YT experts are warning of economic turmoil when the banks collapse as early as March 11th thanks to the end of lacks reserve rules post-Covid.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

YT "experts"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

YT "experts"

You say that like everything on the internet isn’t true.🤔

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,929

How am I just now finding out you can get a new 700-hp F150 for under $50k?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

stickguy said:

That’s how I look at it too. Even if I retire soon at 63, I would not be touching the bulk of the retirement savings for 10 years (only because the IRS made me)

RMDs become age 75 in 2033, IIRC.
    KYFDX, way to time the market by being in the market for such a length of time!

@qbrozen,
    This has been available for a year or two.

@qbrozen said:
    How am I just now finding out you can get a new 700-hp F150 for under $50k?

Me too! I saw a video on it yesterday.

The big deal is this year Ford upped the standard equipment on the XL so it’s an even nicer package.

@qbrozen - the base model is pretty well equipped, as well. The things I really dislike are the 240 mile range and the fact that, since it has the aerodynamics of a brick and that necessitates a larger battery than most EVs, charging time (especially with a home charger or destination charger) is going to be slow.
    edited March 3

stickguy said:

At 73, that will be 2029 or 2031 for my wife and I. Even if there is an interim jump to 74 before then, we'll have to take them, before 2033

Trying to get as much Roth conversion as possible, before then, while staying in the 12% Federal tax bracket. It's a drop in the bucket, but still helps.

2027/2028 when we start drawing SSA. When the RMDs hit on top of that, our tax bill is going through the roof. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

At 73, that will be 2029 or 2031 for my wife and I. Even if there is an interim jump to 74 before then, we'll have to take them, before 2033

Trying to get as much Roth conversion as possible, before then, while staying in the 12% Federal tax bracket. It's a drop in the bucket, but still helps.

2027/2028 when we start drawing SSA. When the RMDs hit on top of that, our tax bill is going through the roof. :/
    ————————————————-
    Remind me again when you get there. B)

jmonroe
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Will have to start taking RMD's come 2029 but am also planning on doing some conversion of my traditional to Roth IRA's well before that. But thinking of timing that to start once I quit working part time. My income will be lower which will lower our tax rate. Did notice that one of my REIT's has cut it's monthly dividend which I wasn't happy about but, don't want to put anymore into the stock market right now. We continue to live well below our means and still haven't given up on my plan to down size to a smaller 3/2 and bank a good part of the sale. But we're just taking things day by day now.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    The kids decided to rent their compact from the Enterprise office right outside our development. I checked at the airport, the location right near the airport and the one closest to our house and that one turned out to be the lowest. Just means some extra work for yours truly in that I'll have to pick them up & deposit them at Fort Lauderdale airport which isn't a big deal. It's spring break right now but with my employee friends and family discount, they got a very good deal for the 4 days. They rented an Airbnb which we get...it's their vacation and why stay with the folks when they can stay in a nicer place. And this way, they can do what they please & fit us in whenever they want to. After all the snow & cold in Chicago, coming down to Ft. Lauderdale will be a nice change as the weather is absolutely wonderful right now! I also took a few days off so we can do some things together.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

corvette said:

@qbrozen - the base model is pretty well equipped, as well. The things I really dislike are the 240 mile range and the fact that, since it has the aerodynamics of a brick and that necessitates a larger battery than most EVs, charging time (especially with a home charger or destination charger) is going to be slow.

I'm referring to the SC 5.0.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen,
    This has been available for a year or two.

So I read, which is what prompted the question. How have we not talked about this?

I just can't figure out how to add it on Ford's build page.

edited March 3
    @qbrozen,
    I think it's a dealer level install.
    Here's a link one one of the dealers that does it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTp7MNbXCCs
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,077

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

I was happy to read that you don’t have to take RMDs from a 401k at a company where you are still employed. Maybe I can retire feet first and not ever have to take it.

edited March 3

@qbrozen - I had no idea they offered that. I’m impressed. I’m assuming traction would be an issue with factory tires.

@qbrozen,
    I think it's a dealer level install.
    Here's a link one one of the dealers that does it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTp7MNbXCCs

that's what I ascertained as well. I just figured it would be a set price and available in the builder. Other items, like floormats, are dealer installed but available to add on the window sticker. Not having it online makes me wary that dealers will try to overcharge.

corvette said:

@qbrozen - I had no idea they offered that. I’m impressed. I’m assuming traction would be an issue with factory tires.

yes, I'd imagine 2wd with those stock tires would make the 700hp absolutely pointless.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,415

@corvette said:

That’s the fun part. Seeing how long the factory tires last without snapping an axle or frying the transmission.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@qbrozen - I think the hardware runs $8k-ish. You could probably install it yourself and avoid the dealer labor costs for that, but I think you have to have it installed by an ASE certified mechanic in order to get the warranty.