Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    mjfloyd1 said:

@clm8 said:

That's where I was born, my wife too. She grew up there, I moved a little north.

Columbus? I work there a couple of days a month.

I grew up in Vincennes- now in Bloomington

Columbus is a beautiful town

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@pensfan83 Is that the Acura? Is the wheel broken?!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It's an Accent. It was barely worth $3K, brand new. No way I'm dropping $2K on it. That $2K won't get you a new engine... who knows what you are getting for that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,276
    edited March 12

@corvette said:
    Then you're qualified to answer... Bobe's Pizza - worth a trip? And if so, which one?

I asked my high school buddy who still lives there.

Farouk=Sausage, Pepperoni, Mushroom, Onion and Green Pepper

6th Street only has the Farouk

Super Farouk=Sausage, Pepperoni, Mushroom, Onion, Green Pepper, Black & Green Olives, Canadian Bacon

6th street Farouk is the original and probably the best. Brad and Brett Bobe bought the one on Main Street and changed it for the better. We go there a lot. Much shorter wait if you are getting carry out. We always get the Super Farouk.

I had to have my friend translate all of this. I’ve never heard of a “Farouk” before people ordering it there when I was in high school.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,874
    mjfloyd1 said:

Looks like classic curb damage to my eye. Metal vs concrete and concrete wins

I was wondering what method.

For example: I had my BMW for about 3 weeks. I was at a high school event in a nearby city I wasn't familiar with. Parked with the nose of the car sticking into a yellow zone near a stop sign.

I had to leave early. A pickup had parked in front of me and was about 2 inches from my bumper. I had no choice but to back up hoping the tire would catch on the little curb before the wheel did. You know what happened. :'(

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

@pensfan83 said:
    I'm sad about this

That’s an easy fix by yourself or a wheel repair guy. Sand and re-clear

edited March 12

@Michaell said:
    OK, I need all y'alls help.

A friend of a friend had her car blow up over the weekend. 2010 Hyundai Accent, bought within the last year with 120K on it, for $3K. Had it inspected by a mechanic, came back clean.

Timing chain broke (current odometer reading is around 133K) and, being an interference engine, the pistons and cylinders danced an unnatural dance. Preliminary estimate is north of $2K to fix.

Should she bite the bullet and invest the money in a repair, or should she hunt for a replacement? Finding anything under $5K is a challenge, as you all know, but I've found several candidates with similar mileage. She's not picky about what she gets, though she did mention she'd like something that can "handle snow better".

Here is an option for a remanufactured motor with a warranty. Looks like they have free shipping this month.

https://shop.powertrainproducts.net/product/2006-2011-g4ed/

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    @pensfan83 - I know you keep your cars in perfect shape so this is going to bother you every time you look at the MDX Type S. Is there a mobile wheel repair in your area or a place that will refinish your wheel?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,660
    I wonder, that’s not the same 5.4L that cause all those problems in the pick up trucks, is it?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

OK, I need all y'alls help.

A friend of a friend had her car blow up over the weekend. 2010 Hyundai Accent, bought within the last year with 120K on it, for $3K. Had it inspected by a mechanic, came back clean.

Timing chain broke (current odometer reading is around 133K) and, being an interference engine, the pistons and cylinders danced an unnatural dance. Preliminary estimate is north of $2K to fix.

Should she bite the bullet and invest the money in a repair, or should she hunt for a replacement? Finding anything under $5K is a challenge, as you all know, but I've found several candidates with similar mileage. She's not picky about what she gets, though she did mention she'd like something that can "handle snow better".

I’m pretty sure the 2010 Accent sold new for around $10k so putting that much money into basically a worthless car with a dubious reliability reputation might not be wise. If you have several alternatives lined up I’d go with those.

What are her choices?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @oldfarmer50,
    The trouble was with the 3 valve engines.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited March 12

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I wonder, that’s not the same 5.4L that cause all those problems in the pick up trucks, is it?

It is the 5.0 = 302

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265

@mjfloyd1 - thanks! Might have to make a day trip one Saturday or Sunday.

It's a supercharged 5.4 liter with 4 valves per cylinder.

Ahh. I was talking about the orange Mustang and @explorerx4 is talking about the grey Mustang

edited March 12
    mjfloyd1 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

It is the 5.0 = 302

The ad says 5.4L. I know that some versions used a 5.2L flat plane crank too. With all the different configurations of the 5.4L, 5.2L and 5.0L it’s very confusing.

edited March 12
    That Parnelli Jones Mustang is a 3 valve 4.6 enlarged to 5.0.
  • pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    venture said:

pensfan83 said:

I'm sad about this

Man! That's about a 9.8 on the suck-o-meter. How did that happen?
    Navigating parking at the airport. I normally take the truck but it was needed so I took the MDX and when I was leaving I made a tight turn into the exit lane and yeah...

@kyfdx not broke, just scraped. I think it's the way the light is reflecting. @nyccarguy, yes I plan to use the same shop that's done work for me before. If it was a lease I'd let it slide (probably) but since it's not, I'll get it fixed.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    pensfan83 said:

I'm sad about this

I nicked the LF wheel on the C43; I hate doing that.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

au1994 said:

If I am going to get a Maverick, the dealer I’m using says it’s a 4 month lead-time now. That means within the next 30-45 days I’ve got to make my decision and place my order. Not that he’s going to hold me to it if I change my mind.

So today I drove of all things, a 4Runner. Is it old school and analog? Yes. A little crude and rough? Yes. But I have to say, it wasn’t bad. I was able to get comfortable which had been a problem with Toyotas and their flat floor. The old V6 and 5spd automatic isn’t going to win any races but it’s fine. MPG estimates are terrible though, 17-19. Rode well and very roomy on the inside. This was an SR5 Premium 4x4 and stickered for $51k with a bunch of SE Toyota add on BS. I don’t think I’d kick it out of the garage. I like the tougher, truckier look of it over the Pathfinder. I think there is a redesign for ‘25 so maybe they will start incentivizing the ‘24’s.

Not hearing of any deals on the new Tacoma or Frontier right now.

I did get an email from Chrysler Financial or whatever they call themselves today with a copy to the dealer saying I have equity to roll into another Jeep. I know at best I am even but I still sent a note to the dealer “hey I’m interested” but heard nothing. As I said, I wouldn’t kick a JGC out of the garage either.

The Maverick is certainly the cost and value leader in this game. Even a Lariat is going to come very well equipped at ~$40k which I am not touching in any of the SUVs above.

I just picked a random 4 Runner SR5 Premium off of the broker's spreadsheet. A little more than $5,400 off MSRP. Sticker was $51K & change.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382

@nyccarguy said:
    I just picked a random 4 Runner SR5 Premium off of the broker's spreadsheet. A little more than $5,400 off MSRP. Sticker was $51K & change.

I’d take that right now. Especially if the local guy would take the Jeep on trade.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@pensfan83 Yeah, that shadow at the back of the inside had me freaked out.. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 12
    au1994 said:

@nyccarguy said:

I’d take that right now. Especially if the local guy would take the Jeep on trade.

Take a test drive in a Limited if you get a chance. Supposedly much smoother ride.

When is your Jeep lease up?

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Take a test drive in a Limited if you get a chance. Supposedly much smoother ride.

Our company is having some problems with Stellantis products of late. Several truck loads of brand new Ram pick ups and Jeeps went right into the shop on delivery. Unrentable.

The bosses are not happy.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Jeep is up in September.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

@corvette said:
    @mjfloyd1 - thanks! Might have to make a day trip one Saturday or Sunday.

Stop by the George Rogers Clark National Historical Park on the banks of the Wabash

edited March 12
    @qbrozen,
    There are tow truck drivers that monitor the police radio for vehicle breakdown calls.
    One showed up when we had a collision with an out of control driver on I 95 in Maryland.
    He offered to tow us back to CT but luckily I had enough sense to decline.
    There's a lot more to the story but I'm glad your son was ok.
    That was a great little video.
    Let's if that photo posting is working.

Here's the 2024 version of the sleeper supercharged F150.
    You can forward to 2 minutes in so skip the fluff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azzGqzEDKR8
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    qbrozen said:

Fun day.

SIGH. I'm bushed.

Wow! That's a lot to pack into a day! Good thing you're four hours ahead of me... not much more that can go wrong! (typed while knocking on wood....)

About that business thing.... makes no sense! Isn't your business a car dealer?! How many dealerships do you know that title the vehicle before reselling? That's essentially what you're doing here.... just selling it to yourself from inventory. I feel like the person at the MV office was off the rails. I think I relayed how the Alaska MV office wanted a special affidavit from the person who sold my son his car because the prior owner had signed it over to his father to sell on his behalf, then the father sold it to us a few weeks later without ever having titled it himself. Ultimately, the prior "transaction" was just one of convenience so his dad could sell it while he was off in parts unknown, but the person I was working with (long distance) was not budging on her stance. I ended up going to Ohio MV to get temp tags, and they thought the chain of ownership was odd, but they issued the temp anyway. Once back in Alaska, *with* the special affidavit, I might add, (the dad was a fantastic seller!), my son took his paperwork to the local office. The guy assisting him laughed when he mentioned the story and the affidavit; they didn't need or want it. /facepalm

Crazy deal with the wheel falling off. That's the last time he asks his dad for help! Hahaha... I'm glad it worked out okay for all of you!

Go get some rest.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940

Oh one other small thing: I convinced American Collectors to insure the Charger (the Coronet is already with them). Cut my premium about in half.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Yes, the seeming demise of Jag weighs heavy upon my heart.
    I've read that they're stopping production of their ICE cars, to reemerge in '25 with the new electric (and expensive) models. Of course, there's a pantheon of Lucas jokes just waiting to be told.

I thought that there would always be a Jaguar.
    Shocking.
    Carry on.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

@qbrozen,
    I looked at American Collectors for an agreed value policy on the Mustang.
    Their quote was over 3 1/2 times what I'm paying with a regular policy.
    Of course, I wouldn't get much if the car was totaled as currently insured.

@qbrozen,
    I looked at American Collectors for an agreed value policy on the Mustang.
    Their quote was over 3 1/2 times what I'm paying with a regular policy.
    Of course, I wouldn't get much if the car was totaled as currently insured.

wow. I'm at $568 annually for $25k agreed value Coronet and $17.5k on the Charger. Geico was that price alone for just the Charger and, as you said, if something happened to that, I'm sure they'd never pay its value as a limited edition.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

Yes, the seeming demise of Jag weighs heavy upon my heart.
    I've read that they're stopping production of their ICE cars, to reemerge in '25 with the new electric (and expensive) models. Of course, there's a pantheon of Lucas jokes just waiting to be told.

I thought that there would always be a Jaguar.
    Shocking.
    Carry on.

The smart manufacturers are hedging their bets with platforms that can be configured for ICE, PHEV, and EV versions. I fear the demise of Grace and Pace is imminent.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Jaguar has been trading their heritage and scamming for a while.
    Crap and Drivel tries to put a good spin on it, but really?
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15349070/block-party-creating-a-v-6-by-declaring-two-cylinders-redundant/
    @qbrozen - sounds like a crazy day!
    Cap it off with an auction win.

Oddly, that Honda I canceled my bid on went for an obscene amount of money. From past results, these should have been similarly valued. But the Honda hit 1.177M yen, while I got the Toyota for my max bid of 300K.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited March 12
    Phase one of your evil plan is complete! No surprises so far.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    had to look up what a Progres was. Not my cup of tea but good luck with it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Watching this auction. Started strong and will have to wait a couple of days for it to play out.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-porsche-911-carrera-4s-20/
    $300k with two days left. Are they really that desirable? I always liked the Targa versions of the 993, since it was the first implementation of the retractable glass roof on them--which we now see on many different makes today.

Jaguar has been trading their heritage and scamming for a while.
    Crap and Drivel tries to put a good spin on it, but really?
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15349070/block-party-creating-a-v-6-by-declaring-two-cylinders-redundant/

IIRC, the three-cylinder modern MINIs were basically a four with one cylinder missing.
    @corvette,
    In another day or two we'll find out about that Porsche.
    The opening bids were very high but I'll be watching it to it's conclusion.

I never owned a Lexus, which is basically what the Progres is, from what I’ve read. Heck, maybe I’ll let my son keep it and sell the Opel. We’ll see how it is.

My comment to this photo in the Big Altima Energy FB group.

Watching this auction. Started strong and will have to wait a couple of days for it to play out.

I can’t imagine not driving those cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    what a waste. and unless you have a museum that needs one, I guess it is just speculating on a high HP tulip bulb since it is going right into storage hoping it appreciates more, and will never be driven.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited March 12
    What happened to your son reminds me of what happened to my Izuzu Opel back on my first day of work at the post office. Had orientation in West Palm Beach as I was living in Boca Raton and the carrier position was also in Boca. Getting onto I-95 at Palm Beach Lakes Blvd., accelerate but car starts to lurch and then I hear pieces of metal fall off the engine, all the while I'm losing speed. Pull over to the side of the road and the car stops dead! Turns out the auto tranny imploded and cost me, or the bank of dad, $500 at Aamco to fix. As if I wasn't stressed out enough, it was the first day of orientation!

This happened on December 27th of 1980 and in early February, a front axle died so after that repair, again with a loan through the bank of dad, got rid of that death trap! Since the bank of dad closed it's doors right about then, took out a $2500 bank loan on a slightly used 1979 Datsun B-210 hatchback, an ex-rental it turned out. But had no choice as I needed reliable wheels and since I had a steady paycheck by then, all was good. And the funny part is, that steady paycheck is still coming in monthly in the form of my civil service pension.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

As much as I like low mileage, it’s a shame that car wasn’t driven for 26 years.