Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 6,752
    edited June 24

That sounds terrifying. Glad your dad is doing better.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,312

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,807

mb_enthusiast

Wishing you and your dad good health and happiness. Stay strong.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 588

@mb_enthusiast - I hope your dad continues to improve

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 117,948

@mb_enthusiast - Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 13,012

@mb_enthusiast No doubt about it - that's a perspective changer! As others said, I'm glad your father's situation is improving. Best wishes to you both.

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
    Weird. The old MINI dealership now has a Mitsubishi sign and cars on the lot. I suspect from the name it’s owned by Terry’s group. The local dealer group that sold out to Terry a few years ago used to have a Mitsubishi franchise but closed it, if memory serves. Not sure why they’d want to open a new dealership for a struggling brand.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Desert SWPosts: 2,752
    @mb_enthusiast, ditto on all the wishes above, for your father’s health and your moral support.
  • thebeanthebean Parts UnknownPosts: 1,093
    @corvette, where did you go in the UP? I love that area, especially Marquette. Duluth is nice also, but we stay mostly in Canal Park so we can run down when a boat is arriving/departing.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2017 Honda Civic EX-T
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,715
    edited June 24

I would assume the systems in your area are sized to maintain that much of a drop. I don't think the system in my house would maintain 73 when it's 105. At 97 or so it pretty much runs almost constantly to keep 73 in the heat of the day. It shuts off only for maybe 8-10 minutes every hour or less.

Most of the time when it's 90 it cycles a few times an hour.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,615

Awesome news! Now its time to shop for that X1 replacement. New job, new car.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,715

Congrats!!

Agreed, time for car shopping!

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• omarmanomarman Posts: 1,763
    au1994 said:

LOL for a minute there I forgot what topic I was in!
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,052

There are few things more apt to put into perspective how meaningless cars can be than having your last parent nearly die. This past week and the weekend, I spent all of my waking moments terrified of the prospect of being alone (no siblings, no grandparents, no significant other, no children, and no mother), and losing the person that I care most about—my father.

I thought I was reliving the same experience I had with my mother. I thought, '2.0,' 'This is it,' and 'Not in a million years did I think this would happen to me by 25.' Same hospital, same ICU, and same health problem—sepsis. Shuffling back and forth between home and hospital. Crying and waiting for what seemed like the inevitable. On Saturday, there was a miracle. My father, a physician himself, was able to survive emergency surgery (actually on Wednesday), stop dialysis, get off the ventilator, and wake up for the first time since Wednesday. He has a long road, and is still pretty ill. But he's moving back from the cliff, and so am I.

The week before last, much of my free time was spent shopping Porsches. The son of two doctors. How silly.

Hoping for your father's complete recovery and your peace of mind too.

jmonroe
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,357
    au1994 said:

You gentlemen are a truly terrible influence in the best sort of way.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,052

Wife accepted a new job today - bump in pay, better title, and incredible benefits. 2 months to the day from when her company closed.

She starts next week, I think.

Congrats to Mrs. Firefighter. You should now get a bump in your allowance to support your car buying habit. That's only fair, right? :p

jmonroe

• henrynhenryn Houston, TXPosts: 2,575
    edited June 24

@28firefighter -- Congratulations to your wife on the new, better job!

2018 Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab, 2016 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
    thebean said:

@corvette, where did you go in the UP? I love that area, especially Marquette. Duluth is nice also, but we stay mostly in Canal Park so we can run down when a boat is arriving/departing.

I visited Sleeping Bear Dunes, Tahquamenon Falls State Park, the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Presque Isle Park, Sugarloaf Mountain, Lakenenland Sculpture Park, and Copper Harbor. A lovely trip other than the mosquitoes. I'd definitely go back.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 117,948
    Ohio teenager looking for her first car - I just know y'all can help her out:

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/56701/general/x/buying-first-car-on-tight-budget#latest

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,960

@ab348

interesting. They were fine when I uploaded them. And now i can’t quote posts and typing has a 10-sec delay per letter

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

qbrozen said:

@ab348

interesting. They were fine when I uploaded them. And now i can’t quote posts and typing has a 10-sec delay per letter

Typing on my iPhone 6s in the Chrome browser is a little laggy, as well.
    Update on the Louisville MINI dealer - he's suing BMW.
    edited June 25
    Well, at less than 26k miles the OEM Pirelli's on the X1 are shot. I went out over lunch to get a rotation and have the alignment checked and they would not rotate them. I knew they were getting close but was hoping to make it through the summer. but they measured 2 of them at 3/32.

Bridgestone Driveguards are 191/tire at the low end up to high 200s for Pilot Sport AS/3s.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,937
    Is it a lease? If so definitely go cheaper!

Research on tire rack too. Might be better option overall.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,357
    See if you can't get a set of the OEM Goodyear Eagle Sports from bestusedtires like we did. Great experience, basically new tires, and only spent $350 + installation.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
    This one isn't a lease. I'll check Tire Rack. Not a lot of runflat choices in the 225/50/18 size.

I, of course, think this is a sign to trade especially since I got an email from Subaru yesterday offering 0% on the Outback. Others in the household do not share that opinion.

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Posts: 854
    @ 20 firefighter congratulations to your wife on the new job, now agreed with everyone else about Time to do some car shopping.
    How was your vacation 20 firefighter didn’t you go on one recently from mixing up people in here.
    @ MB enthusiast keeping your dad in my prayers and hoping for the best for him. All that comes first agreed the car is nothing we don’t we like them it’s just the machine in the end. lol