Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,666

sda said:

I was given a RDX tech loaner while the TL is back in the shop to address the VSA malfunction. I like the way the RDX drives. It feels lively and fun to drive. Comfortable seats, decently quiet, nice sound system. It took me a while to figure out how to navigate to XM and radio stations and found it cumbersome and frustrating to make changes while underway. Perhaps familiarity with the system would lessen that experience. The MSRP on the RDX is about $48500.

As someone who drives every imaginable car I agree that the touch screen revolution is a major frustration. What was wrong with knobs and buttons. I was in a relatively new F-150 (2022) today and it took me twice as long to adjust the radio on the big touch screen than it does to turn the knobs on my 2013. Same with the climate controls.
    ————————————————-
    You sound like a guy who isn’t a fan of fixing things that ain’t broke. You’re in good company…me.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,732
    My first car was a GM also (Camaro). That pretty much ended the run. I did have a Nova briefly but never registered it. And I guess the Opel would technically qualify!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    All this talk about stereo system upgrades reminds me of when I put a Motorola reverberator unit in my new ‘66 Bonneville. Along with two 6X9 speakers on the rear shelf. I was dating at the time and all of my dates really liked it. So much so one of them wanted me to put one in her ‘66 Chevy Caprice, so I did. She paid for it and I provided the free installation. I still remember that Caprice had a very nice interior.

Like I said it was a hit with the girls but when one of the girls, who went on to become Mrs. j, first heard it she said, “what’s wrong with your radio?” Eventually she started to like it.

That reverb was a real conversation piece.

jmonroe
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,833
    sda said:

Question, does the lifetime super charging transfer to the new owner? I’ve read some of the expensive options that the first owner paid for, Tesla removes to the new owner’s chagrin.

Based on what I read, it is transferrable up to a point on 2017 models (so, yes on all 2013-2016 models). After that, it is restricted to the original owner and/or any direct-from-Tesla purchases, if it is even possible to buy used Teslas from the manufacturer...?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,405
    nyccarguy said:

@au1994 said:

I had Kenwood and then Clarion CD players in my ‘89 Beretta. JVC amp and Clarion speakers. Couldn’t chum up the funds for an Alpine. Alarm too, not Clifford, Hornet, I think?

That car got me through college and after that I started leasing quite a bit once I started working so I had to be good with the factory deck. Which for the most part has been fine with me. Not exactly an audiophile. I just did the CD player because the Beretta didn’t come with one. Plus back then, you just put a car stereo in. You just did.

I’m sure you’ve mentioned it before, but I didn’t realize you had a Beretta. Me too. My 1st car was a ‘92 Beretta GT. V6 w/ the 3 Speed Automatic. I haven’t owned a GM car since.

Ok, this is funny. We’ve now had the Beretta, TSX, 328i and Tacoma (a ‘95 replaced the Beretta) in common.

My Beretta was an absolute dog. Former rental. Crank windows and the 2.0 w/3spd auto. Misc reliability problems: alternator left me stranded in rural AL on the way back to college. Pre cell phone days so that was interesting. ECU went out, drivers side window loved to pop out of its track.

Other than a brief flirtation with a GMC Canyon, it’s the last GM for me. I’ve considered them though as they have vastly improved since the ‘90s.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

reminds me of when I put a Motorola reverberator unit in my…

Whoa! I thought this was a family show!

————————————————-
    And many years later it’s still a conversation piece. Who knew? o:)

jmonroe
  • Options
    hopefully you were at least towing.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,417
    Here is a new one. I received a red light ticket in the mail today from the City of Federal Way, which is south of Seattle. Thing is, I haven't been anywhere near Federal Way in the better part of a year.

Sure enough, the photo is of a vehicle that is using the license plate off our old Outback but is attached to something else - probably a Ford Fusion or similar. There is no way to deal with this online, so now I have to submit a written statement and bill of sale that (1) it was sold before the infraction (and provide proof), (2) the vehicle in the picture is not a Subaru Outback.

I thought the whole point of me reporting the sale online and paying this fee was to avoid stuff like this...
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,412
    @28firefighter,
    How did they get your old plate?
    If we didn't transfer them to the new vehicle, we reported to the Motor Vehicle Dept that they did not go onto another vehicle and we still have the physical plates.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    NY and NJ do it right. You own the plate, and put it on whatever car you own (or turn them in if you sell the car and don't need to replace it). staying with the car, never made any sense to me.

• Options
    So here the plates go with the person but they are a huge pain to transfer between vehicles if you were leasing/financing the previous vehicle. So dealers typically return them to the DOL for you when you trade in or sell to them. That's what I was expecting.

I mean this was over 3 years ago so I'm a little stunned it's still floating around out there.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,019

@stickguy said:
    hopefully you were at least towing.

Nope!
    Just heavy-footin it everywhere

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,833
    qbrozen said:

Hahahah! I cannot even fathom! :wink:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

Hahahah! I cannot even fathom! :wink:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    You're the only one.

jmonroe
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,773

Here is a new one. I received a red light ticket in the mail today from the City of Federal Way, which is south of Seattle. Thing is, I haven't been anywhere near Federal Way in the better part of a year.

Sure enough, the photo is of a vehicle that is using the license plate off our old Outback but is attached to something else - probably a Ford Fusion or similar. There is no way to deal with this online, so now I have to submit a written statement and bill of sale that (1) it was sold before the infraction (and provide proof), (2) the vehicle in the picture is not a Subaru Outback.

I thought the whole point of me reporting the sale online and paying this fee was to avoid stuff like this...

Who thinks to keep a bill of sale? Usually I give a buyer form dtf-802 to pay sales tax when they register but I have never kept a copy of it. How would your motor vehicles agency not have a record of a new owner unless they have been running around unregistered for a year?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,773

@28firefighter,
    If we didn't transfer them to the new vehicle, we reported to the Motor Vehicle Dept that they did not go onto another vehicle and we still have the physical plates.

Exactly. In NY you can’t even cancel the insurance until you send them a certificate that says you turned in the plate. Of course that doesn’t stop people from creating phony plates and driving around unregistered and uninsured.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 243,025

@28firefighter,

Exactly. In NY you can’t even cancel the insurance until you send them a certificate that says you turned in the plate. Of course that doesn’t stop people from creating phony plates and driving around unregistered and uninsured.
    There was a big artcle in the New York Times on this very subject yesterday - the proliferation of fake temporary tags and folks not permanently licensing their vehicles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    If you've ever watched TowTrucker on YT, you know it's a huge problem in Atlanta.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,253

If you've ever watched TowTrucker on YT, you know it's a huge problem in Atlanta.

Fake out of state temp tags are a thing all the way out here, too. Whenever I see one I assume it is fake, often on a car that likely couldn't have been driven from it's claimed origin.

I wouldn't want TowTrucker's job, I assume he is well trained in self defense.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,495
    au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

@au1994 said:

I had Kenwood and then Clarion CD players in my ‘89 Beretta. JVC amp and Clarion speakers. Couldn’t chum up the funds for an Alpine. Alarm too, not Clifford, Hornet, I think?

That car got me through college and after that I started leasing quite a bit once I started working so I had to be good with the factory deck. Which for the most part has been fine with me. Not exactly an audiophile. I just did the CD player because the Beretta didn’t come with one. Plus back then, you just put a car stereo in. You just did.

I’m sure you’ve mentioned it before, but I didn’t realize you had a Beretta. Me too. My 1st car was a ‘92 Beretta GT. V6 w/ the 3 Speed Automatic. I haven’t owned a GM car since.

Ok, this is funny. We’ve now had the Beretta, TSX, 328i and Tacoma (a ‘95 replaced the Beretta) in common.

My Beretta was an absolute dog. Former rental. Crank windows and the 2.0 w/3spd auto. Misc reliability problems: alternator left me stranded in rural AL on the way back to college. Pre cell phone days so that was interesting. ECU went out, drivers side window loved to pop out of its track.

Other than a brief flirtation with a GMC Canyon, it’s the last GM for me. I’ve considered them though as they have vastly improved since the ‘90s.

Don't forget the Wrangler 4Xe.

Misc reliability problems:
    I had the EXACT same problem. Mine would actually separate itself from the track and fall into the door. It was a lot of fun when that happened during the winter while I was away at school in Ithaca, NY.

I bought mine brand new. Sticker was $16,001 back in 1992. The pushrod V6 had plenty of low end grunt.

My power windows wouldn't function while the rear defroster was on. Again, lots of fun back in the days before EZPASS & electronic tolling. I brought it to the dealer probably a dozen times. They could never replicate it. Years later there was a TSB or a recall for this problem.

At around the 60,000 mile mark, the 2nd lobe of the camshaft wore down and the engine would BANG under moderate to hard acceleration. I remember the mechanic at the time saying how "he's been a mechanic for X years and has NEVER seen a camshaft wear down the 2nd lobe."

Truth be told, when I've been shopping, there hasn't been a GM product that has interested me in the class of vehicle or price point.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,405
    nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

@au1994 said:

Don't forget the Wrangler 4Xe.

Misc reliability problems:
    I had the EXACT same problem. Mine would actually separate itself from the track and fall into the door. It was a lot of fun when that happened during the winter while I was away at school in Ithaca, NY.

I bought mine brand new. Sticker was $16,001 back in 1992. The pushrod V6 had plenty of low end grunt.

My power windows wouldn't function while the rear defroster was on. Again, lots of fun back in the days before EZPASS & electronic tolling. I brought it to the dealer probably a dozen times. They could never replicate it. Years later there was a TSB or a recall for this problem.

At around the 60,000 mile mark, the 2nd lobe of the camshaft wore down and the engine would BANG under moderate to hard acceleration. I remember the mechanic at the time saying how "he's been a mechanic for X years and has NEVER seen a camshaft wear down the 2nd lobe."

Truth be told, when I've been shopping, there hasn't been a GM product that has interested me in the class of vehicle or price point.

Jeez, how did I miss the 4xe??

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,319
    Some shots from Cars n Coffee, today

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,179

Thx for posting the pictures.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,981
    Also had a Audiovox FM converter in my '67 Olds Cutlass Supreme. My fraternity brother installed it in the frat's driveway before we took a trip home to Florida. Was so nice to have FM even though the sound left a lot to be desired. Upgraded every vehicle I owned since then and luckily, the Golf's Fender system is pretty decent. Old school knobs for the on/off/volume and tuning which I prefer but I use the steering wheel controls 90% of the time anyways. Think the Kona has the Harman Kardon system which actually sounds pretty decent. The 2024 Kona has the Bose system currently.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,253
    kyfdx said:

Some shots from Cars n Coffee, today

Gulf livery thing appears to be a Fiero-based Dino tribute, a replicar not often seen.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,301

Here’s another lease bargain from my FB feed. Anyone want to lease an MDX for $839/month (effective) plus tax?

• Options
    nope. 54K sticker. Not cheap, though I suspect they come a lot more expensive in higher trim levels. But a $6k discount is pretty healthy.

• Options
    corvette said:

Here’s another lease bargain from my FB feed. Anyone want to lease an MDX for $839/month (effective) plus tax?

————————————————-
    The only one I can think of right now is @oldfarmer50.

jmonroe
  • Options

Poor bed liner design had led to this tailgate’s condition. It wraps around the bottom and is (was) glued in place, covering the drain holes. Pics are after I cut away the wraparound piece of the liner.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    that fixable, or do you need a new tailgate?

• Options

As long as it’s not rusted through I bet it can be repaired…

• Options

The hinges are still solid, so I am attempting to just make it look decent with trim and wrap. The problem is by the GMC badge where there is not much metal left for the trim to attach to. I may have to rig some support.

• Options
    corvette said:

Effective rate is $739/mo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

6k spread over 24 months is $250/mo. So add that to $589 and get $839

• Options
    stickguy said:

6k spread over 24 months is $250/mo. So add that to $589 and get $839

Duh.. missed the lease term. :/

Either way, you have to subtract the first payment from the $5999, before amortizing. so closer to $814/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,993

It’s worse than that… have to add taxes and dealer fees.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Trying to get the attention of the girls inside the studio? B)
  • Options

Trying to get the attention of the girls inside the studio? B)

That might be across the street from a brewery. 😉

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Looks good! Which trim?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    CX-5 or CX50?

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Mom’s new ride. Flawless broker deal … delivered to the house. Well worth the small cost for all the leg work on a good deal.

Black wheels are unfortunate… but the “Wind Chill Pearl” looks great in person.

Taking it for a drive shortly.

————————————————-
    Looks nice. It seems like black wheels are becoming the standard for CUV’s and SUV’s lately. That black doesn’t bother me.

I agree sometimes convenience is worth the price. Do you mind telling us what it cost you?

jmonroe