Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,110
    Well, that’s a lot simpler, isn’t it! :D
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,513
    edited August 20
    stickguy said:

...as of this moment, I would be looking at:
    RDX
    2020 Outback
    X3
    V60
    XC60
    RAV 4 hybrid
    Murano SV
    Tuarag
    Q5
    NX300
    Passport

If you get a Costco quote on a new Q5 I'd be interested in the numbers.

Would you consider the VW Golf Sportwagen?

The interior of the RDX really wowed me when I was at the Acura dealer.

The new Honda Passport seems good, but would that be a bit large for you? But I really like the rear visibility in that car. The back windows look functional rather than small.

The V60 looks good. I like it in this video where at c.8 minutes he goes under the car to look at some of the mechanical parts in some detail.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,638
    stickguy said:

was bored today at my desk, so wrote out a "short" list of the options for the next car (either new, or slightly used loaner or CPO). All small-mid sized CUV types (with a random wagon in there).

Short in "" since I came up with 11 options. And I am sure if I thought more I could make it longer, but I ran out of lines on the paper. A few probably wouldn't fly with the wife, but I do like to keep a couple of more "budget friendly" options. She does admit that she is now a brand snob, so going to a mainstream brand from an Acura would be a tough sell! And there are a couple of domestics I like that I know she never will consider.

as of this moment, I would be looking at:

RDX
    2020 Outback
    X3
    V60
    XC60
    RAV 4 hybrid
    Murano SV
    Tuarag
    Q5
    NX300
    Passport

Great list! In addition to the Santa Fe, a CR-V Touring is a really nice ride and surprisingly roomy as a more budget friendly option. Staying away from the domestics, I'd say you've got the market pretty well covered.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• @ stick dry, that’s quite the list they are I have the wife start looking at soon going to go each weekend and look at a few. Lol
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 33,314
    Not sure if passport will feel too large, but that’s probably the closest in concept to her current RDX, with the same basic drivetrain.

We looked at CRV last year. She just didn’t like it. Mostly the CVT.

She also doesn’t like VW much to start with. Tiguan might fly but the Golf will just be too small. Q5 might turn her head, though we aren’t Costco members so can’t help there.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• @pensman. Glad all was sorted out with the contract. For your new truck and you are good to go. How was your day trip
  • pensfan83pensfan83 PennsylvaniaPosts: 1,422
    edited August 20
    Only getting a look at the Passport from the outside we like it. Looks like a smaller, slightly sportier version of the Pilot. Give the incentives available on Volvo with the Costco membership you may want to sign up if only for the perks they sometimes throw out if a Volvo is on your list.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,854
    Tiguan might fly but the Golf will just be too small

Did the Tiguan get bigger? I saw one yesterday and it seemed much larger than I remembered.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

stick: do you need 4-wheel drive? If not, you could save some money and get higher mpg.

The Passport is 4 inches longer and 4 inches wider than the RDX, and so the Passport is pretty big. But the Passport does have a lot more cargo space, and of course it costs less.

Passport length 190.5 width 78.6 cargo with seats up 50.5

RDX length 186.8 w 74.8 cargo 29.5

Q5 length 183.6 w 74.5 cargo 25.1

V60 length 187.4 w 72.8 cargo 23.2

CR-V length 180.6 w 73 cargo 39.2

VW Sportwagen length 179.6 w 70.8 cargo 30.4

So the VW Sportwagen and the CRV have more cargo space than all of these except for the Passport.
    Wow. Love that car in those colors. Would be perfect for me! Wife might prefer sitting a bit higher, but would have to try it out. I won’t pay for the B&W stereo, but the seats, sure!

I want.

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,854
    I didn't audition the B&W because I would have wanted it (I have B&W speakers in my home).... having said that the Harmon/Kardon is no slouch. I still don't have it dialed in exactly the way I want it yet (lots of adjustments) but it sounds good.

Wife took it this morning and she commented how good it sounds. I think the Bose in the Enclave may be a touch louder if pushed, but the Harmon sounds better.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

A few inches longer, in that 185-190” range, is not an issue. Being much wider, that’s a problem. It’s already tight getting our RDX in the garage without nicking the mirror! Cargo measurements don’t mean much to me. That counts to the ceiling, and I’m obsessed about not going much above the seat top so I can still see out. Floor space acreage is a bigger deal. Volvo looks great there! But, the CRV was a tremendously useful cargo hauler.

The passport is really just a pilot with a slice out of the middle, no third row, and a nose job.

tjc78 said:

Did the Tiguan get bigger? I saw one yesterday and it seemed much larger than I remembered.

The redesigned Tiguan is way bigger. Went from a tiny hatch to a roomy midsize CUV. great useful size.

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,539
    You guys got me thinking about my next car (nowhere in the foreseeable future, though)....

I’ve made no bones about wanting another Acura TLX in S-Type trim. That’s tops on the list, but looks like that model is at least a year to 18 months away.

2nd-VW GLI

3rd-BMW 330 or 340i

You guys have me intrigued about the Volvo, so make that #4...S60 Inscription

#5-the Accord 2.0T sounds/looks intriguing if I decide I’d rather keep another $10K-$15K in my pocket that it might take to buy the Acura, the BMW or the Volvo. While I’m at it, may as well throw the Toyota Camry XSE V6 for the same reason. That said, I can’t even remember the last time I drove a Camry. But, the new ones seem to be getting good press.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
    Lease the Volvo, problem solved!

You guys got me thinking about my next car (nowhere in the foreseeable future, though)....

I’ve made no bones about wanting another Acura TLX in S-Type trim. That’s tops on the list, but looks like that model is at least a year to 18 months away.....

My guess is that the all-new 2021 TLX Type S will arrive c. 10 months from now.

Sharp. I think they should replace TLX with that, and the ILX with a small sedan and compact CUV version, something like the BMW x2.

• ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 666
    tjc78 said:

Yes it got quite a bit bigger. Went from being one of the shortest behind the 2nd row to having an optional 3rd row.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    benjaminh said:

stick: do you need 4-wheel drive? If not, you could save some money and get higher mpg.

The Passport is 4 inches longer and 4 inches wider than the RDX, and so the Passport is pretty big. But the Passport does have a lot more cargo space, and of course it costs less.

Passport length 190.5 width 78.6 cargo with seats up 50.5

RDX length 186.8 w 74.8 cargo 29.5

Q5 length 183.6 w 74.5 cargo 25.1

V60 length 187.4 w 72.8 cargo 23.2

CR-V length 180.6 w 73 cargo 39.2

VW Sportwagen length 179.6 w 70.8 cargo 30.4

So the VW Sportwagen and the CRV have more cargo space than all of these except for the Passport.

Cubic footage of cargo space is less useful to me than the footprint. The shape of the back end of the greenhouse can make a big difference in terms of cubic feet but really only comes into play when you put a lot of tall boxes all the way back.

If I'm cargo-space-critical, I'm dropping the back seats...
    AWD is actually not important to me. Depending on the car, I am fine with FWD. the V60 for sure. RDX I would prefer the SH-AWD.

tjc78 said:

Nothing wrong with any of those choices, but aren’t you in few different size classes?

I had a similarly large list in the prelim phases of my shopping last year. Somewhere along the way, almost everything on the original list dropped off and when it got close to go-time the only serious looks went to the V60 (but didn't drive one), XC60, Outback, and the eventual winner was the RDX.
    edited August 20
    With its torque vectoring Acura's SH-AWD is tuned for performance and makes a noticeable impact on the driving experience. Unless you want to avoid the $2K upcharge altogether, I would at least give it a try. It operates similarly to the ATTS system on @nyccarguy's Prelude.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2018 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD - 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5SL - 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,473

I’ve made no bones about wanting another Acura TLX in S-Type trim. That’s tops on the list, but looks like that model is at least a year to 18 months away.

2nd-VW GLI

3rd-BMW 330 or 340i

#5-the Accord 2.0T sounds/looks intriguing if I decide I’d rather keep another $10K-$15K in my pocket that it might take to buy the Acura, the BMW or the Volvo. While I’m at it, may as well throw the Toyota Camry XSE V6 for the same reason. That said, I can’t even remember the last time I drove a Camry. But, the new ones seem to be getting good press.

I approve of this list. That might have to do with feeling validated since it is so closely resembles my own!
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
    edited August 20
    What I like about the TLX Type S concept is that it seems like a nice evolution from the current TLX. The c.2004-2008 Acura TL was a big hit, but then the 2009 TL, rather than evolving from that, introduced the "power plenum grille." As the NY Times headlined back then "Pace. Space. But Oh, That Face."

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/automobiles/autoreviews/08acura-tl.html

It was a really nice car, but the styling was a bit much. By 2015 when the TLX was introduced they had finally made it look good.

Anyway, from past experience iirc once Honda/Acura have released a concept car of this kind, usually the production model is on showroom floors less than a year later, and usually looking pretty close. This one doesn't have door handles, which obviously are going to be added....My lease is up in June of 2021. Probably I'll try to buy out my current car, but if the new TLX has a hybrid or electric option, or even just a regular model that gets good mpg, I might consider that.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,379
    pensfan83 said:

With its torque vectoring Acura's SH-AWD is tuned for performance and makes a noticeable impact on the driving experience. Unless you want to avoid the $2K upcharge altogether, I would at least give it a try. It operates similarly to the ATTS system on @nyccarguy's Prelude.

Without the added expense & complexity of a $2,200 clutch job (2x in 160,000 miles).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

One of the main reasons I was after a base model.

2nd-VW GLI

3rd-BMW 330 or 340i

The thing is you can now "put a face with the name" and know it wasn't just lip service from Acura. If the concept's good looks are matched by its performance I'm in.
  • jpp75jpp75 DenverPosts: 1,402
    Here's the V60 @michaell and @breld looked at Saturday. As @breld noted it's perfectly optioned, everything you (I) would want but nothing you don't.

https://www.mcdonaldvolvocars.com/new/Volvo/2020-Volvo-V60+Cross+Country-4ce68adc0a0e0adf7555f6772a64a109.htm

I'm not in the market but if I were this would be very tempting. Although as a CCBA the lesson on Volvo is lease or buy used.
    jpp75 said:

Here's the V60 @michaell and @breld looked at Saturday. As @breld noted it's perfectly optioned, everything you (I) would want but nothing you don't.

https://www.mcdonaldvolvocars.com/new/Volvo/2020-Volvo-V60+Cross+Country-4ce68adc0a0e0adf7555f6772a64a109.htm

I'm not in the market but if I were this would be very tempting. Although as a CCBA the lesson on Volvo is lease or buy used.

Beautiful wagon.

Here's the lease offered at that link....

"Lease: $515 per month for 36 months. $3,995 due at signing for select 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country T5"

And that's before taxes, acquisition fee, etc.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,473
    benjaminh said:

jpp75 said:

Beautiful wagon.

Here's the lease offered at that link....

"Lease: $515 per month for 36 months. $3,995 due at signing for select 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country T5"

And that's before taxes, acquisition fee, etc.
    They don't lease well. Because no one buys wagons. So they don't subsidize their sale to get them out there. So no one buys wagons. And on and on the circle game of the american car market goes.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen