Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    Parking is not bad next year. She is in campus apartments next year. Nice normal lot, some "protected" spits, and right in front of her building. I would not send a new car to school if it had to be dumped in some remote, long term type lot.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    All the dings in my daughter's car came from apartment or dorm lots just like you describe. Many colleges such as ours don't use remote lots any more because they are too dangerous. The weirdest accident was an entire roof's worth of snow and ice sliding off -- directly onto her car. She was not in it at the time. Completely shattered the windshield and dented the hood. College paid to repair fortunately.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    After I moved on from my Taurus, I paid extra to private parking company for Garage parking instead of the university because I didn't trust the folks driving in the university lot.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    Can't vouch for driving skills, but at her school, most of the kids have better cars than me.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

I think you're enabling yourself, Stick. 

I like the 3 at 205 a month.

I agree, I'd take the 3i touring at that price over the Camry.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252
    jpp5862 said:

I agree, I'd take the 3i touring at that price over the Camry.
    I'm going to be the contrarian and go with the Camry:

1. $20/mo x 36 months = $720 savings
    2. Larger car = more carrying capacity when going to/from school
    3. Larger car = more compliant ride on the rough roads of I-95
    4. Not a huge MPG penalty
    5. Lower insurance costs?

Don't get me wrong - I like the 3. I just think the Camry is a better choice in this situation.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Michael, all the same points I think of. Kid gets input, but she knows I get final say. She will learn to love whatever I get!

Sales manager from Honda called today. I toldcsalesguy last night we had a few more to drive, and potentially would look to buy Saturday. SM was all "what can I do to get you to skip other places and buy accord today?" I almost told him to meet Camry quote. Not that I expect he could, but would be fun to hear what he said!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    au1994 said:

Yep, at nearly the same money the 3 would appeal to me much, much more than the Camry.
    And the 3 is safer; with the Camry you run the very real risk of dying- of boredom.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,077
    @stickguy Does she go to USC?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'll throw another candidate into the mix:

Volkswagen Tiguan S 4Motion
    They have $3000 dealer lease cash plus what appears to be an additional $1500 bonus cash on them. Residuals are reasonable - I was seeing 0 down leases out here on an SE 4Motion with Appearance for $260/month including 9.8% tax.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    And when it inevitably breaks down from some electrical glitch hey'll send a guy to help yo push it to the Volkswagen dealership...

I'm with the 3 myself.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    stickguy said:

Michael, all the same points I think of. Kid gets input, but she knows I get final say. She will learn to love whatever I get!

Sales manager from Honda called today. I toldcsalesguy last night we had a few more to drive, and potentially would look to buy Saturday. SM was all "what can I do to get you to skip other places and buy accord today?" I almost told him to meet Camry quote. Not that I expect he could, but would be fun to hear what he said!

stick, why not tell the Honda guy that? what's the worst that could happen - that they meet (or beat) the $185/mo quote on the Camry? You're looking at the LX or the Sport?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

fezo said:

And when it inevitably breaks down from some electrical glitch hey'll send a guy to help yo push it to the Volkswagen dealership...

I'm with the 3 myself.

Touche.
    My daughter loves the Tiguan. A friend of hers has a nice loaded white one. I'm not doing a vw though. Certainly not that one!

We liked the accord sport. It at least has done style. And better seats.

Oh, if after today we decide accord, I'll email him back with the challenge!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Lil' help please (really should just send 'em here...)

Mazda3 vs All Contenders
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited May 2015
    stickguy said:

You should have told him to meet the quote, worst case scenario is he actually matches it. :)
    Just found out that my company has a partner deal with VW - $500 under invoice on any model, plus any incentives.

This is in addition to partnering with Audi, Chrysler, Ford, GM, MB and Volvo.

GTI manual 2-door with sunroof and convenience package prices out at $26,203...

Just sayin'

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Just found out that my company has a partner deal with VW - $500 under invoice on any model, plus any incentives.

Just sayin'

Can you gift it to friends and family? :smile:

Michaell said:

Just sayin'

Household members only, it looks like. Looks like a pay stub is required as well as the partner certificate.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Just sayin'

Household members only, it looks like. Looks like a pay stub is required as well as the partner certificate.

Are you looking to adopt? I've already been to college and had braces... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited May 2015
    According to my neighbor Here in NY/ NJ a leased Camry is harder to return dinged up or some what . Toyota is a pain in the butt about this oppose to other brands that might be more forgiving. This from my neighbors mouth not mine he leases Toyota's a lot. ( I don't lease)

I found a couple of deals for my neighbor that seems pretty good also .

2015 Altima, S with drivers and display pk, rear view camera, 6way pw seat. $179 3yr 36k 1k out of pocket includes 1st month pymt.

2016 Mazda6 sport................. $229 36/12k. oop tax, tags and doc fee. Msrp...24,270

2015 Camry LE...................... $179 36/ 12k

@stickguy Camry SE lease for $189 is not possible with the dealers I called around my area. ( that is truly a great deal) if dealer was not baiting him.

I'd love to adopt a 18yr old and lease him/ her that Camry.

15 Malibu LT w LT1 pk and convience pk............ $210 36/12k 1400 out of pocket.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Honda Finance used to have one of the more generous lease turn-in policies in terms of wear and tear. Also, they include gap insurance, which many makes do not.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited May 2015
    @stickguy - definitely make note of the NVH levels on the Mazda3, particularly on the highway. The car is actually very quiet and composed on good roads, but I find the road noise to be pretty loud on rougher roads. Not sure how much the 18" wheels on the "s" model contribute to that. Something like the Camry or Accord would be much quieter, I suspect.

It's nothing I regret with regard to my purchase, but it's not too often I'm on a rough road for extended amounts of time.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

corvette said:

Honda Finance used to have one of the more generous lease turn-in policies in terms of wear and tear. Also, they include gap insurance, which many makes do not.

Really? I thought it was pretty standard on leases these days. VW told me it was included in my CC lease.
    Took my stepdaughter's A3 in to swap out the winter tires for the all seasons (a little late), and found that two of the tires were pretty worn out and in need of replacement.

I generally hate to have mismatched tires on a car, but two of the tires, for some reason, were still at 7/32nds, so had a lot of life in them. So, I just replaced two of the tires.

Anyhow, apparently one of her rims is bent - the tire shop said it wasn't all that bad, but that happens to be the tire that seems to be losing some pressure lately. In any case, I think I'm gonna start browsing craigslist for some new wheels for her car. Not a fan of the stock wheels anyway. So that's fun little quest.

On another wheel note, I sold the extra set of wheels/tires that came with the ZHP we recently acquired. Not much, but got $350 for them - so when I offset that with the cost of the car, I feel like I got a better deal!

edited May 2015
    So, in looking for new wheels for the A3, I'm quite sure wheels from a Golf, GTI and maybe Jetta would fit, as well as possibly an A4.

If I match up on wheel size, offset and bolt pattern, is there anything else I need to consider on proper fitment?

Talk to Sandy. he is an expert on all things VW wheels!

bolt pattern will be the same. so just use the calculator at miata.net if you are changing wheel size. other than that, yes, offset is key.

so, did the rest of our test driving. with some interesting results.

drove a Camry SE. nice long drive, variety of roads. It was OK. nothing special to me. But I would not be riding in the (not comfortable) passenger seat. Kid drove.

at the end, as we were driving off, I got her feedback. She hated it. wasn't comfortable, didn't like pedals, among other things. Said she would rather keep the old car! So, I don't think I need to push it on her, regardless of the deal.

then drove the 3, figuring it was going to get her excited, and I would go with it. so she drove a i touring around. at the end, got her feedback. Did not really like it that much. Found it to be kind of small, and did not like the interior. also a bit loud. Not bad, but not what she was expecting.

I think what tipped the scales was having tried out (and gotten used to) mid size cars.

also sat in a Legacy. she still likes those (it is nice). I doubt it will ever come close to the budget price, but will find out tomorrow. will also reach back out to the Honda SM, and tell him if he wants to try to sell me, go for it.

so, the 2 great deals are not going to be taken now. slim chance an Accord follows us home Friday. But most likely, I will just defer until the 4th of July sales, and go hard there (I have no life anyway). In the interim, I will clean up the Volvo and work on selling it. And will test a few more options (maybe Altima, another that she really does not like, but has never driven, and a snooze.

good thing I really don't need it for another couple of months!

oh, I am also going to ask my Mazda dude for a $ on the 6 instead. overall, a midsize will just make a lot more sense. Who knows, maybe they really need to get rid of these!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,077
    stickguy said:

oh, I am also going to ask my Mazda dude for a $ on the 6 instead. overall, a midsize will just make a lot more sense. Who knows, maybe they really need to get rid of these!

Something to note... Toyota leases don't include GAP insurance. I agree with previous comment about a Honda lease being "safer" and easier at turn-in than Toyota.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Forgot to mention. was at the Acura dealer today (30K service on the RDX. a bit ouchie, with trans and transfer case/differential fluid changes!). So of course I browsed around. There was a gorgeous (IMO!) TLX out front, so a salesdude gave me the keys (too hot for him to come out at first!). Black copper pearl over tan (picture below, looks great in the sun). This was a base 2.4, but still quite loaded. Very nice seats. I loved it. MSRP was 32.5K. Too bad I am not shopping for something nice right now!

ticked every box, but typical of Honda/Acura, missing one thing. No BLIS. add that, and it would be perfect for me. Oh, and a spare tire (same deal on the ILX). I did peek, and positive in the ILX you can drop a spare in, and 99% sure on the TLX. that would be a must have.

stickguy said:

so, did the rest of our test driving. with some interesting results.

drove a Camry SE. nice long drive, variety of roads. It was OK. nothing special to me. But I would not be riding in the (not comfortable) passenger seat. Kid drove.

at the end, as we were driving off, I got her feedback. She hated it. wasn't comfortable, didn't like pedals, among other things. Said she would rather keep the old car! So, I don't think I need to push it on her, regardless of the deal.

then drove the 3, figuring it was going to get her excited, and I would go with it. so she drove a i touring around. at the end, got her feedback. Did not really like it that much. Found it to be kind of small, and did not like the interior. also a bit loud. Not bad, but not what she was expecting.

I think what tipped the scales was having tried out (and gotten used to) mid size cars.

also sat in a Legacy. she still likes those (it is nice). I doubt it will ever come close to the budget price, but will find out tomorrow. will also reach back out to the Honda SM, and tell him if he wants to try to sell me, go for it.

so, the 2 great deals are not going to be taken now. slim chance an Accord follows us home Friday. But most likely, I will just defer until the 4th of July sales, and go hard there (I have no life anyway). In the interim, I will clean up the Volvo and work on selling it. And will test a few more options (maybe Altima, another that she really does not like, but has never driven, and a snooze.

good thing I really don't need it for another couple of months!

Disappointing, but she's gotta be comfortable in it, no matter what.

Have you considered the Kia Optima? Some pretty decent lease cash on those. EX trim might have all the bells and whistles you both want.

Same with the 2015 Mazda 6 - now that the 16's are available, I suspect you could find a dealer willing to give you a killer price on that.

And yes, the timeline works in your favor. No rush, gives you plenty of time to look at and drive all the candidates.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Golf coming home today, a starter pin was causing the issue but will know more once I get the invoice. Leaving for work soon and luckily only a 1/2 day. The Jetta is nice enough but big, even bigger than our A3. Glad when the Golf is back in the garage!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Good to hear, Sandy.

The Outback is scheduled for its first service a week from Saturday, just in time for our road trip to Sedona the following day. First service is on the house - not sure what it includes, but I do have one extra request for them.

Apparently, there was a bit of a rush to PDI the car, and the wheels weren't fully cleaned. Lots of residue from the tape used to cover them. I'll ask them to clean it up nicely.

The voucher I have states that either 0W-20 or 5W-30 oil can be used ... can someone tell me the difference?

Road trip will be broken up with an overnight stop in Santa Fe - just under 400 miles on day 1, and just over 400 miles on day 2. Should be able to do each leg on a single tank of gas.

Really need some warm weather - we've had exactly 3 days of sunshine in the month of May. I feel like I've been teleported to the Pacific NW. The only positive from it has been that the delivery business has been good this past month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

Forgot to mention. was at the Acura dealer today (30K service on the RDX. a bit ouchie, with trans and transfer case/differential fluid changes!). So of course I browsed around. There was a gorgeous (IMO!) TLX out front, so a salesdude gave me the keys (too hot for him to come out at first!). Black copper pearl over tan (picture below, looks great in the sun). This was a base 2.4, but still quite loaded. Very nice seats. I loved it. MSRP was 32.5K. Too bad I am not shopping for something nice right now!

ticked every box, but typical of Honda/Acura, missing one thing. No BLIS. add that, and it would be perfect for me. Oh, and a spare tire (same deal on the ILX). I did peek, and positive in the ILX you can drop a spare in, and 99% sure on the TLX. that would be a must have.

Ooohhhh....very pretty! I think either the Tech or Advance packages have BLIS. Spare tires? Long gone, on the vast majority of cars, I'm afraid! One place where safety took a back seat to cost cutting.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    Michaell said:

Good to hear, Sandy.

The Outback is scheduled for its first service a week from Saturday, just in time for our road trip to Sedona the following day. First service is on the house - not sure what it includes, but I do have one extra request for them.

Apparently, there was a bit of a rush to PDI the car, and the wheels weren't fully cleaned. Lots of residue from the tape used to cover them. I'll ask them to clean it up nicely.

The voucher I have states that either 0W-20 or 5W-30 oil can be used ... can someone tell me the difference?

Road trip will be broken up with an overnight stop in Santa Fe - just under 400 miles on day 1, and just over 400 miles on day 2. Should be able to do each leg on a single tank of gas.

Really need some warm weather - we've had exactly 3 days of sunshine in the month of May. I feel like I've been teleported to the Pacific NW. The only positive from it has been that the delivery business has been good this past month.

I had my 1st service done at 7,500 miles. They did a synthetic oil change, filter change, tire rotation, & brake inspection. I'm at 14,154 right now and need to make my second service appointment. Synthetic oil change, filter change, brake inspection, tire rotation, & as @tyguy advised, a rear differential fluid change with 75W 90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I asked my Mazda guy for #s on a 6. And Honda SM for his best offer on the accord. And Subaru sales lady is getting numbers on that today. So we shall see.

I decided to have her drive an Altima too since that is the other cheap midsize with the range of a camel. She does like the optima. So might look at that.

Also, no spare is a deal breaker to me. Most cars that did away still have the well. Elantra even offers tire as an option. The ILX has a place for it. Even has the bracket you use to screw down the spare. Just need the bits and pieces.

stickguy said:

I asked my Mazda guy for #s on a 6. And Honda SM for his best offer on the accord. And Subaru sales lady is getting numbers on that today. So we shall see.

I decided to have her drive an Altima too since that is the other cheap midsize with the range of a camel. She does like the optima. So might look at that.

Sounds good .. let us know when you need the lease numbers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Heading there now!

That Mazda6 might be the perfect fit, if the numbers work out. Like @michaell pointed out, they should be eager to move any 2015's left at this point. Though the interior improvements on the 2016 sure are nice.

I drove the Mazda6 and Mazda3 back to back, and there is a notable improvement in overall ride quality with the 6, so that could be very compelling for you and your daughter. Naturally, it also feels roomier in the interior. Knowing all that, I still went with the 3 'cause I thought it was a bit more nimble.

edited May 2015
    Forgot to mention. was at the Acura dealer today (30K service on the RDX. a bit ouchie, with trans and transfer case/differential fluid changes!). So of course I browsed around. There was a gorgeous (IMO!) TLX out front, so a salesdude gave me the keys (too hot for him to come out at first!). Black copper pearl over tan (picture below, looks great in the sun). This was a base 2.4, but still quite loaded. Very nice seats. I loved it. MSRP was 32.5K. Too bad I am not shopping for something nice right now! ticked every box, but typical of Honda/Acura, missing one thing. No BLIS. add that, and it would be perfect for me. Oh, and a spare tire (same deal on the ILX). I did peek, and positive in the ILX you can drop a spare in, and 99% sure on the TLX. that would be a must have.
    Ooohhhh....very pretty! I think either the Tech or Advance packages have BLIS. Spare tires? Long gone, on the vast majority of cars, I'm afraid! One place where safety took a back seat to cost cutting.
    Actually, I think it was both for cost cutting and weight savings to improve MPG. Adding a spare wheel, tire, and jack after you have bought a car gets really expensive unless you can find cheap ones that fit on eBay or at a junkyard. I'm sure it's cheaper if you're an OEM equipping thousands of vehicles. 
    I like that TLX too - was very impressed with the test drive I had a few months ago of a 4 cylinder Tech package. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of interior room and the level of quality in the materials. Wasn't the fastest thing, but I did enjoy the feel of the great Honda 4 cylinder. And, to be fair, I was still in my 535i at the time; compared to my current ride, the transition to the TLX would be just fine, I suspect.

When I'm ready to go back to the automatic, the TLX will definitely be on my list.

That sounds like an upcoming punch, breld.   :p
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Something to note... Toyota leases don't include GAP insurance. I agree with previous comment about a Honda lease being "safer" and easier at turn-in than Toyota.
    Or insist on them putting gap insurance into the package. They will do that, I believe. Costs more, of course, but vital on any loan or lease where you are technically "upside down" on the car value.
    corvette said:

That sounds like an upcoming punch, breld.   :p

I know, I know - that's exactly what it sounds like. :) Particularly with the addition of the "fun" 330ci with the manual.

But, I have my mind set on getting out of the current car payment situation and am pretty determined to do so.

We'll see.

edited May 2015
    Got a quote on the 6. $30/mo more for 6 touring vs. 3 touring. Sport is $10 cheaper, so touring is no brainer.

$235 is no Camry price, but in the big scheme, $50 month won't break the bank! That's for the I touring. Bigger, faster, more comfy, and power seats. All good features.

Are Mazda's lease rates and incentives regional?  There is not a single deal like that on a 6 Touring out my way. 
    Based on you and your daughter's experience in test driving the Camry, sounds like it's just not a good option anyway, so may as well throw out that $185/month payment out of the comparison, really.

So, doing that, $235/month for a Mazda6i Touring sounds like a great deal for a much more dynamic and pleasing car. Not to mention the additional features on that Mazda6 - BLIS, leather seating, etc.

I assume that is for a 2015? Or by chance is it for a new 2016?

It does come with those 19" wheels though - I know how you feel about those low profile tires.