Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I kind of like the GLC too. If we aren't going to get the C wagon, it is as close as we will get - and it is pretty close. I might try one when lease re-up comes, if I don't buy an old car for DD use.
    houdini1 said:

If you like the C class sedan, you should also like the GLC, as it is heavily based on the C class, even the interior. Some have even called it a taller C class sedan.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2016
    I did test drive a new 2016 340i on Saturday. This was a disappointed as I have been with a BMW in a long time. While it is certainly not a bad car, I just did not feel ‘engaged’ – or at least not nearly as much as I would need to be, to pay the asking price [ MSRP $54,245 – asking just under $50K ] for this unit.

Surprising [ to me, given the specifications ], it just did not feel nearly as immediately impressive to me as the 2 M235i Coupes I have previously driven.

A few specifics – FWIW:
    Seats – comfort and support felt ok, but did not feel as instantly great as either the 235s or the 335iS. [ All had the BMW sports seats. ]

Sound – rather more mechanical ‘hash’ from the engine than I prefer on acceleration, and I noted none of the sweet, straight 6, exhaust note I so enjoyed in the 335iS – and even those 235s.

Transmission – very good. Up-shifts, quick but smooth. Precise rev-match on manually commanded down-shifts. Another ZF 8-speed unit – design related to the Charger’s.

Ride – not impressive – at all. Rather more jitter over even small road surface imperfections at lower speeds than any BMW in my recent experience.

Acceleration – certainly ok, but not what I had expected. Quicker than the Charger I am currently driving [ says the specs & tests ] but not noticeably so.

Handling – again, ok – but [ based on the above ] I truncated the drive before really testing that aspect.

Steering feel – once again, ok. Not as good as I remember in the 235s, but I think I could adapt.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited February 2016
    rayainsw said:

I did test drive a new 2016 340i on Saturday. This was a disappointed . . .

Clearly you're (nor am I) not the target demographic these days.

Ask BMWNA if they give a . . well, let's say, care. They absolutely don't.

There's more at the door of people who wouldn't know how to drive a car around a corner when the road drops away if their life depended on it, and it does, by the way.

It's called the lowest common denominator.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    companies need to make money. And that must be what BMW determined they needed to do to survive.

Call it progress I guess. But, not that big a deal to me if they at least make a readily available, and reasonably priced, package for the traditionalists. Sports steering/suspension, whatever is needed. That way everyone can get mostly what they want.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    edited February 2016
    I haven't mentioned this before, but when I drove up to Cincy to check out the 235i I fully intended to also check out at least one or two Mustang GTs afterwards. I honestly did not expect the 2er to be as good as it was; I had expected to find a smaller 3 Series with a bit more power- and I think everyone knows how underwhelmed I have been by the current 3 and 4 Series. I was more than a little bit surprised, and now having driven it for a week I am 110% sure that I made the correct decision.
    That said, I still think that it is sad that you now have to select certain options and/or certain models in order to get a BMW that performs as a BMW should.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stickguy said:

Both the pope's Fiats were there. odd little vehicles.

also loved the Audi Q3. Nice size, comfy, easy to get in/out of (that higher hippoint, good for old folks!).

a few neat features that I recall. The MB had power adjustable front cushion extension. I want that. Bad. So nice.

the center screen in the Volvo is huge. Really imposing vehicle too. Expensive of course.

The skinny sidewall trend continues. Worst I saw was I think a 205/40. Tire was too skinny to even read. Really looked like a rubber band. Ridiculous, especially with the crappy roads up in snow country.

a few cars are unusable for people that have any sort of love handle (heck, aren't emaciated). A little bolster is nice, but a few were like jamming into a corset 2 sizes too small. Or a seat on a discount airline!

Power adjustable front seat cushions -- I've only encountered that once, on a Hyundai. Was it the Genesis or the Equus, I really don't remember now. Either way, it didn't impress me that much. YMMV

rubber band tires -- I agree, insanity. I would not own a car (or worse, a truck) equipped that way.

overdone seat bolsters -- agree, 100%. And why is that everyone thinks they MUST have a center console? My right leg really, really, really dislikes being forced into an upright position for long periods of time. I flat out cannot make long drives in any car with a center console.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I really need a long seat cushion for thigh support. Short cushions are a deal breaker, but my wife doesn't mind. So the adjustable part is wonderful.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Sadly, I think shorter seat bottoms and backs, like lessening legroom are becoming a cost cutting trend.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    The Fords I sat in at the auto show all seemed to have short seat cushions. BMWs with the sport package generally have adjustable/extendable thigh supports (or they used to). 
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

the center screen in the Volvo is huge. Really imposing vehicle too.

I'm not in love with the exterior styling on the new XC90. I think the XC60 looks better. I also think the base engine may be a little taxed in something that heavy. The "fix" for that is to get the T8, which is a very pricey upgrade.
    Coming back after a long hiatus what is going on.
    The XC90 T6 actually pulls nicely but it has a bit of a mid-range flat spot.

The fix to that is the new polestar optimization that just came in. It bumps the HP up to 330 and torque to 325. I haven't driven one with the upgrade yet but I have one on order for May.

Right from the bulletin the mid-range and shifting performance should be improved as well.
    Five important areas are optimized in the form of increased mid-range engine performance, faster gearshifts,
    optimized throttle response, optimized gearshift timing and an off-throttle functionality.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Whoa, british rover sighting. Welcome back! What are you driving these days?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,426
    Hey @british_rover - Welcome back!  How's life my friend?  

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The Fords I sat in at the auto show all seemed to have short seat cushions.

Doesn't surprise me. I think Ford's frequently aren't really geared to tall drivers. If you want seats and legroom for a six footer, there are often better choices unfortunately.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    berri said:

Doesn't surprise me. I think Ford's frequently aren't really geared to tall drivers. If you want seats and legroom for a six footer, there are often better choices unfortunately.

:D I'm nowhere near six feet, and I still noticed it! :p
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,236
    Tomorrow I fly to CA for my dads service. Got a car reserved at LAX. Normally I don't much care what I get - just drive to my folks house and back to the airport.

This trip is different. From the airport, I drive to San Diego to spend the night with my sister and her family. Wednesday, my mom and I make the 3 hour drive back to her house in Oxnard. Saturday its back to the airport.

Hoping I get something reasonably comfortable to drive.

I'll also get to see my sisters fleet for the first time in years. They have the 2005 330i ZHP, a Navigator, and my sister has an Infiniti G37 coupe.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Safe travels, Michaell.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

Safe travels, Michaell.

+1
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Thanks. I may have overpacked - supposed to be pushing 90 at my sisters place today and mid to upper 70's at my moms house, closer to the ocean. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    A couple of sightings yesterday... An MB GLC in black. Really, really good looking CUV. I liked the GLK too but this is an upgrade in styling dept to my eye. Would like to spend some time inside because it looked like it would be pretty roomy.

second sighting was a Cadillac ELR. Never seen one in the wild before.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

I'll see your used $32.9K X1 and raise you this $36K 2017 Ford Focus RS:

http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-rs

350 HP? Check
    350 ft lb torque? Check
    Turbo? Check
    AWD Check
    Manual 6 speed? Check
    torque vectoring? Check

0-60 time on the Focus RS gets bested by a DSG equipped Golf R, but the times seem about right considering the higher 5.2 time on a manual equipped Golf R.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

A good deal of variability lies in a person's definition of "reliable". I know some people who deem their cars reliable because they haven't spent much on them--but that's mostly just deferred maintenance. The cars they are driving have lots of problems, just not any that completely stop the car.

It's an interesting question. Is a car "reliable" if the rear passenger window doesn't go down anymore, the valve covers have a small leak, it's hard to start when cold (but it always does), the trunk struts don't hold up anymore and the CD player is broken?

Hmm.. I'd be much harsher on things that don't work than a "small/negligible leak. How about a rear side window that doesn't work 20% of the time, or a rear door lock that doesn't automatically unlock along with the other 3?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    qbrozen said:

Oh, I don't know. All the plasticky bits on the X1 didn't strike me as any less plasticky than on a European Ford. The X1 is also built to a price after all.

My main concern on the Focus RS is that the 4 cylinder engine might be stressed too much. In my opinion, engines are BMWs forte and the most praiseworthy thing about them.

considering my N54 was making very very bad noises at around 55k miles, I don't think I can stand behind that BMW engine claim anymore, personally.

I gotta say the RS isn't ticking all the right boxes for me as far as the estimates go. C&D is guessing a 4.7 0-60, 13.2 1/4 mile, and 17/23 EPA MPG. That just doesn't add up in my book. So my Caddy is faster in a straight line AND gets better mileage. Yes, I know they aren't competitors, but I find the discrepancy strange, nonetheless.

Sitting on the showroom floor next to a Mustang GT is going to be a tough proposition all on its own. Slower, worse highway mileage, and $4k more? Ouch.
    Some people will pay extra to be able to turn :open_mouth: Not like me to defend Ford, but in a sort of back-handed way, if they paid VW to license a proper dual clutch transmission, they could probably match the reported low 4 second 0-60 MPH times the Golf R is recording (marketed at 4.5 w/DSG).
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Quick view today of the new 2017 Elantra. Think they'll sell a boatload of these! It's a mini Sonata inside and out and really puts the Sentra and Corolla to shame. As much as I do like the new Civic, think the new Elantra is a nicer vehicle. About time they tweaked the compact models in America because folks now expect more no matter the size. Very impressive vehicle!!
    Door edge guards have been installed and am very happy, color matches perfectly and like the added protection. Seeing their guy to install the other two things tomorrow. Sorry now I didn't get the aluminum cover for the top of the back bumper under the hatch but can always do that eventually. They do have a sun visor for the front windshield that fits perfectly that will get once the heat returns since I can't find any other kind that fit.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

From 2addicts- one less M235i:

Needs a little touch-up paint and should be good to go! :):smile:
    tifighter said:

Whoa, british rover sighting. Welcome back! What are you driving these days?

Currently a 2015 S60 T5 AWD with sports package as a demo but today is the last day for that car. Not sure what I will roll into tonight have to find something.
    Hey @british_rover - Welcome back! How's life my friend?
    Doing good. I am running the Volvo dealership I used to work at along with one other manager now.

How are things going here?
    xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

A lot of ugly green colors available in the '70s, for sure.

Yeah, but many nice ones, too. I really miss the paint variety that was once available. We basically have the choice between the colors that half of the population has, or the colors that a third have. It's so drab. There are a few models that I dismiss simply based on them being available only in several shades of grey (including the end caps of black and white).
    I've gone from an Ocean Blue Pearl to a Misano Red Pearl. I demand colors too.
    Sandy, I agree about the Elantra. When I saw it across the floor at the car show, I did not realize what it was. Sharp looking, but seemed to be too big for an Elantra. And the interior absolutely was a slightly "tidier" version of my Sonata!

eventually I will take one for a drive. Might be on the list next year when I am replacement shopping! I don't really need something as big as the Sonata.

Yep, seems to be just the right size for us empty nesters who usually ride alone or with the wife. Very rare when the girls go with us anymore and the boy has been home once in over 3 years. I know I'm solo 90% of the time.
    Was over at the VW store earlier and finally looked in at a 2016 Golf and saw the push button start/stop and would like it. So glad I swapped the stock 17" alloys since I don't like the black and silver look one bit...hated it last year and feelings have not changed. Drove a '16 Jetta at work today, a base model "S" and liked the way it drove...had 2236 when I took it off the lot. Had no push button start/stop and had the base seat material and no Sirius/XM equipped infotainment system. Very glad I went Golf instead of Jetta as I find my Golf very tossable when I get snarky with the accelerator...got up to 85 on the expressway this morning passing a small convoy of trucks...it got up to speed very quickly and didn't realize I was going that fast to be honest!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I know the Jetta can sneak up on you too. Gotta pay attention out on the highway with that.

one thing I noticed when I spec'ed out an Elanta (which could change by the time the 2018s come out!) is no hands free entry or PB start. Too used to that feature now to go back. Yes I am spoiled.

I think the wife has heated steering wheel on the must have list too now. She gets very upset not having it in her car. usually when I complain about it when I am driving it! She also seems to want some sort of Navi too, but I would be fine with CarPlay.

Yes, do want auto start on my next rig if possible plus the ability to use my android phone if need be. Must admit, if the new Elantra is that good, it could tempt me back to Korean again but it would have to be exceptional to get me out of my German mode now. And if I could find a gently used CPO GLA in the right color, I might have no choice because it does check all my boxes on what I really want to drive. Good looking and fun are what I must have now, something that puts a big [non-permissible content removed] eating grin on my face like the current stable does right now.
    I have to be honest but I absolutely love to drive, anywhere, anytime. It's one of the big pleasures of my life and honestly, it does de-stress me. That's a big reason why I actually get right out of bed on work days and want to go in. It feeds my addiction in that I am behind the wheel at least 3/4 of my day there. We go from place to place to move vehicles around, take bad cars to maintenance or turnbacks and wholesales to their designated areas. Then we have to pick up certain classes of vehicles for our locations and drive them there so we never know what each day will bring and where we're going. Plans change on the fly and I usually get to pick what I want to drive from a huge assortment. It's the next best thing to having a vehicle for every day of the week! I'm in car heaven here!!!

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    Wow! A BR visit!! And running a volvo dealership no less. Nobody tell my wife I know someone at a volvo dealer. I am really not interested in a $70k XC90 like she is.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

...finest Chinese quality now B)
    In CA this morning. 10 hours door to door. Flight got diverted to Las Vegas due to some issue at LAX. Waited for luggage, waited forever to get the rental car. White Corolla with almost 54000 miles on it. Got onto the 405 at 6pm. Ugh. Now I drive back north later today with mom. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think the 405 is a nightmare pretty much all the time. But that time period is particularly awful. Hope all goes well.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    qbrozen said:

Wow! A BR visit!! And running a volvo dealership no less. Nobody tell my wife I know someone at a volvo dealer. I am really not interested in a $70k XC90 like she is.

Ah you can get a XC90 T6 AWD under $50,000 with loyalty if you are frugal and you do qualify for loyalty which is the only incentive. You can also get a XC90 T8 over $90,000 too.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    White Corolla with almost 54000 miles on it.

Plain vanilla is better than nothing, Michaell. The Corolla will treat you right.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    As good as the Korean and Japanese cars have become, they still don't have the engaging and reassuring driving dynamics that German cars have. Also I think the drivetrain in your Audi/VW have quietly spoiled you in that when you drive anything less it will be a disappointment. I am considering another VW or CPO Audi/MB for my next ride, though my wife does not know that yet..

blockquote class="Quote" rel="sandman_6472">Yes, do want auto start on my next rig if possible plus the ability to use my android phone if need be. Must admit, if the new Elantra is that good, it could tempt me back to Korean again but it would have to be exceptional to get me out of my German mode now. And if I could find a gently used CPO GLA in the right color, I might have no choice because it does check all my boxes on what I really want to drive. Good looking and fun are what I must have now, something that puts a big [non-permissible content removed] eating grin on my face like the current stable does right now.
    I have to be honest but I absolutely love to drive, anywhere, anytime. It's one of the big pleasures of my life and honestly, it does de-stress me. That's a big reason why I actually get right out of bed on work days and want to go in. It feeds my addiction in that I am behind the wheel at least 3/4 of my day there. We go from place to place to move vehicles around, take bad cars to maintenance or turnbacks and wholesales to their designated areas. Then we have to pick up certain classes of vehicles for our locations and drive them there so we never know what each day will bring and where we're going. Plans change on the fly and I usually get to pick what I want to drive from a huge assortment. It's the next best thing to having a vehicle for every day of the week! I'm in car heaven here!!!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    andres3 said:

A good deal of variability lies in a person's definition of "reliable". I know some people who deem their cars reliable because they haven't spent much on them--but that's mostly just deferred maintenance. The cars they are driving have lots of problems, just not any that completely stop the car.

It's an interesting question. Is a car "reliable" if the rear passenger window doesn't go down anymore, the valve covers have a small leak, it's hard to start when cold (but it always does), the trunk struts don't hold up anymore and the CD player is broken?

Hmm.. I'd be much harsher on things that don't work than a "small/negligible leak. How about a rear side window that doesn't work 20% of the time, or a rear door lock that doesn't automatically unlock along with the other 3?
    My 2006 Cadillac DTS (about to turn 40k miles), has a small oil leak. I'm pretty sure it's a valve cover, I can smell (just barely) burnt oil when I get out of it, if I walk past the front of the car. I may (or may not) do anything about that. On the other hand, the left front TPMS sensor has dropped out. I will fix that, I'm just debating whether to do the one or do all four. My guess is that the battery is dead (10 years old, after all). So probably best to byte the bullet and do all 4?

For me, non-functioning power windows get fixed, trunk (or hood) struts get replaced, hard starting -- the car goes in the shop today!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    Funny you mention the oil leak. My 04 MGM must have the most ever slight valve cover leak as occasionally I can smell it (maybe once a month). It doesn't leak a drop on the ground and is never low on oil, so the heck with it.

I generally like everything to be operational, but one thing I decided not to fix was the power pedal adjustment. When I got the car they were adjusted all the way forward and broken. I was all set to bite the bullet and buy a new assembly and install but decided to tinker with them and was able to get them all the way down... problem fixed!

As for your TPMS, maybe wait until you need tires and then replace all four at that time.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited February 2016
    I'm nuts if something on my car doesn't work. My cars don't always looks their best but they are always pretty much top notch mechanically.

To me driving a broken car is like walking around with holes in your pants...oh, wait, that's in style now! :s
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2016
    I changed the oil in the van last night. If we ever downsize, I'm going to miss being able to just slide under the car - it's a bit of a reach to the oil pan and you don't have much leverage to loosen the bolt, but it sure saves a lot of hassle not having to fool with jacks or ramps.

Except for the usual anti-rattle springs missing on the rear discs (sure wish they were drums), the old van putters along pretty good. Just rolled over 159,000 last week so it's time....
    Get rid of that thing before you kill yourself in it.
    Time ta what, stever?

edited February 2016
    I thought mass was good. I'm following Shifty's rule of thumb - a car has 175,000 good miles in it. I have another year to go. :D

I'm nuts if something on my car doesn't work. My cars don't always looks their best but they are always pretty much top notch mechanically.

To me driving a broken car is like walking around with holes in your pants...oh, wait, that's in style now! :s

Me too, if my car has a problem I want it fixed- by me or someone else...

Letting a broken car sit is like....like letting your dog lay there with a broken leg. It's just not right.

Who was the genius who convinced people to pay top retail for ripped pants? We need this person over at Cadillac!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    stever said:

I changed the oil in the van last night. If we ever downsize, I'm going to miss being able to just slide under the car - it's a bit of a reach to the oil pan and you don't have much leverage to loosen the bolt, but it sure saves a lot of hassle not having to fool with jacks or ramps.

Except for the usual anti-rattle springs missing on the rear discs (sure wish they were drums), the old van putters along pretty good. Just rolled over 159,000 last week so it's time....

Fumoto oil drain valve. Seriously; these things are a wonderful investment! :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Just got a coupon from Acura dealer. Oil change, inspection, fluid top up and tire rotation for $59.95. A much better invention!

xwesx said:

Fumoto oil drain valve. Seriously; these things are a wonderful investment! :)

Even on the forest service roads? Heck with that, even on my street/driveway? We live on rocks. B)