Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2016
    stickguy said:

I see they already have the front plate bracket on for you too.

Yes, I figure why "delete it" when you can just remove it yourself, and have the parts ready at no additional cost should you ever need it.

The thing feels like a go-cart in that it feels like an aluminum lightweight cockpit, and I haven't even gotten the tires to chirp yet. About 650 miles in; can't wait for 1,000 to let the engine unwind completely.

Would be interesting to have the Toyota people that said "grounded to the ground" drive it, and see what they say.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Yesterday, I passed a TTS RS on the freeway (only because he let me..)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Hmm. In a couple of weeks I need to take the Jetta in for service. That is right next to the brand new Audi dealer palace building (I have not been there yet, so hopefully it is finished!). Might have to pop in, and sit in a new A4 and one of these. Just to see how I fit!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    The A4 is getting glowing remarks from many sources. Consumer Reports has one in testing. On their program Talking Cars, they were enthusiastic when introducing it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    andres3 said:

In case you don't check the other popular cars and conversations forum; here it is, the new 2016 Audi TTS in Daytona Gray Pearl and Express Red Leather Interior.

I wish I could post a little video (.mov) file the salesman texted me to make sure I'd counter-offer him on the last day of the month.

And lastly, I'm not the one that parked it there, so don't send it to the San Diego Police.

Very sharp!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    stickguy said:

Hmm. In a couple of weeks I need to take the Jetta in for service. That is right next to the brand new Audi dealer palace building (I have not been there yet, so hopefully it is finished!). Might have to pop in, and sit in a new A4 and one of these. Just to see how I fit!

Uh-huh.....
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Yes, buying out the lease should be another punch as it's now in your name and not the lease company's one. Logically, it should count as a new car...to be honest, maybe leasing shouldn't be counted. But not wanting to open a can of worms here, let's just say any time someone gets something new or used, it's a punch. End of story!!

Andres3, shame on them for parking in a handicap space but I notice many car dealers use these spaces as they see fit. If I see someone doing this, I usually speak up, as politely as possible, and try to educate them that what they are doing is just wrong. Most times folks are cool and move their vehicles and for the ones who won't, they have to live with themselves at the end of the day. I usually use the example of what if it were your mother or grandmother who was handicapped and really needed the space. This usually gets through to folks and they finally get it. Trust me, those of us who have our handicap plates would rather not, we'd just like to be pain free and normal!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited May 2016
    "Yes, buying out the lease should be another punch as it's now in your name and not the lease company's one. Logically, it should count as a new car..."

Not to belabor this, I respectivefully disagree. How can the same car in the same person's possesion count as another car? If you're counting up how many cars you've had, if you leased 5, then bought all of them, would you say you've had 5 cars or 10? As far as State titling is concerned, yes, but not for an additional CCBA punch.

IMHO, a punch should mean a different car whether new, used, leased, bought, cheaper, more expensive, or an addition to one's car stable.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I started installing the remote starter in the Murano yesterday, and didn't finish it up until today. Was a bigger pain than I anticipated. Since my car has automatic headlights, you have to connect a wire to the door pin switch so that the remote starter can kill the headlights if they are on and the start times out after 15 minutes--the instructions for this weren't good and I had to go to Autozone to buy an automotive test probe to get everything figured out.

Now that everything is working, it's pretty slick. Hit the lock button on the remote three times, the brake lights come on, and it starts, just like someone was inside the vehicle hitting the start button. Hit the lock button three more times, and it turns off. It's a little quirky compared to OE remote start systems--if you cancel the remote start, it unlocks all the doors, just as if you turned off the ignition from inside the car. Also, I think most OE systems turn on the parking lights until you enter the car. This one only turns on the parking lights if the headlight switch is in the off position, or if it's in the auto position and it's still daylight. If it's dark enough to trigger the auto headlights, the headlights come on.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    stever said:

Got rid of some wheels out of the garage thanks to craigslist this morning.

Well, technically "wheel". Sold the unicycle.

So I assume you have given up the idea of going "pro" on the unicycle circuit? :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2016
    Since I moved out to the dirt I need an off-road wheel. Going to do a go-fund me site to scrap up the $850 for one and then try it get on with Ringling Bros since there's a void there with the elephants put out to pasture. :)
  • Options
    I read the reviews on the Audi TT/TTS today. Pretty impressive. Sounds like the base TT would be way more than enough car (5.4 0-60 and .99gs? Yeah, that is plenty). But pricey little buggers.

what annoys me the most (typical German luxo stuff though) is the options. $3,500 for a tech package, to get Navi, a back up cam, blind spot and decent telematics? Or (other than the navi, which is cheap to SIM) stuff that all comes standard on a FIt at this point! And not just having some of that optional on a 40K+ car, but the mind numbing price they charge for it.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I read the reviews on the Audi TT/TTS today. Pretty impressive. Sounds like the base TT would be way more than enough car (5.4 0-60 and .99gs? Yeah, that is plenty). But pricey little buggers.

what annoys me the most (typical German luxo stuff though) is the options. $3,500 for a tech package, to get Navi, a back up cam, blind spot and decent telematics? Or (other than the navi, which is cheap to SIM) stuff that all comes standard on a FIt at this point! And not just having some of that optional on a 40K+ car, but the mind numbing price they charge for it.

Yes, the TT is a helluva car, but the TTS suits me better with an even more buttoned down suspension (that's also magnetically adaptable) and 300 horse engine capable of being tuned into a riot reliably, and I like the subtle styling tweaks that show the aggression. There are Golf R owners reporting 3.7 0-60 with simple Stage 1 tuning; the magic of dual clutch direct-shift-gearboxes; for those that think 4.5 or 4.6 isn't good enough :smile: Really, 4.5 seconds is fast enough to embarrass most "sporty" cars.

There's also a pretty TT Convertible for those that like to drop the top!

The $3,500 is expensive; probably something I could live without if I was ordering the car to my preferences. I have a bit of experience now with the bells and whistles, so here's my report on the Helen Keller stuff:

1) Blind spot monitoring called Side Assist by Audi; I like the light on the side mirror; currently no chimes or vibrations, just a light on the inside wall of the side mirror housing. I still don't trust using it exclusively, and where it fails is anticipation. If a car is going 15+ MPH faster than you in an adjacent lane, that won't make the light come on any sooner, so you still need to be situationally aware when changing lanes, but it is a good indicator for "is the spot you want to go into CURRENTLY open"?

2) Rear Camera; okay, I concede I'd rather have this than not as I'm liking having it for a change; even in a small car like the TT. But for $3,500 I'd take the cash and go old school without it.

3) NAV: It's cool to have built into the car, and seems to work well, but my I phone has improved immensely in recent years for NAV too. the HD monitor gauge cluster makes it better located than middle of the dash screens.

4) Haven't tested forward braking and not sure I have it or it is set to "on" in settings. Frankly, a car like this doesn't need forward braking assist.

5) Sensors; I think they beep a bit too much too early when you are still clear of objects by over 18" or so. I'd like to find the setting to desensitize them a bit so I don't hear beeps backing out of my garage where the garage door side walls are located. I do like how the beeping gets faster as you get closer to hitting something, and when you get REALLY close it'll flat-line constant beep! It works and a flat-line noise gets your attention.

Trust me, I'm glad Audi gives buyer's an option to get a great car for less money by making these things optional. If i was ordering the car, I'd probably forgo this stuff, even though I find it useful. The dealer discounted the car heavily to get me to pay for these add-ons. If by installing them standard on every Audi it lowered the cost to half of 3,500; that might be worth it.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The lack of a standard backup camera is pretty embarrassing. I'm calling Audi out on that in the same way I have called out GM before on the lack of auto-up power windows (which I think they've fixed in recent products).
  • Options
    edited May 2016

5 More Pictures to illustrate Audi's craftsmanship and design. The spoiler in the rear pops-up at 75 MPH, but it can be manually over-ridden and locked in the up position with the push of a button; meaning there is highly reasonable doubt the car is going 75 MPH or more just because the spoiler is up :smile:
  • Options
    Looks nice and sounds like it is fun to drive!
  • Options
    very nice. All I really want on the nannies is what my Sonata has. BLIS (and it does sense the closing speed so will trigger sooner if a car is closing fast) and a back up camera with cross-path monitoring. All I need! Oh, instead of Navi, apple car play.

one thing on the TT, that would bother my wife more than me, is no center screen. First, she can't help with the Navi, and will bug her to no end not being able to mess with the radio!

• Options
    stickguy said:

very nice. All I really want on the nannies is what my Sonata has. BLIS (and it does sense the closing speed so will trigger sooner if a car is closing fast) and a back up camera with cross-path monitoring. All I need! Oh, instead of Navi, apple car play.

one thing on the TT, that would bother my wife more than me, is no center screen. First, she can't help with the Navi, and will bug her to no end not being able to mess with the radio!

My wife reports she can actually easily see 3/4 of the HD screen clearly (good angle of view screen). And there is a dial/button combo to change 1 channel at a time or adjust volume on the right side of the center console (opposite the start button). Other than the MMI dial that's the only control the passenger gets outside of the climate controls.

Hmm... maybe closing speed is taken into account. I've been driving near 65 MPH a lot for break-in and getting passed a lot, but not really at a high rate of speed difference. I'm not used to getting passed by everybody; highly disconcerting! Perhaps the blind spot monitoring is better than I realize; I'm still a beginner with it.
  • Options
    corvette said:

The lack of a standard backup camera is pretty embarrassing. I'm calling Audi out on that in the same way I have called out GM before on the lack of auto-up power windows (which I think they've fixed in recent products).

Everyone has preferences though. I'm in the camp of liking the Golf R and TT/TTS MORE because they don't have holes in the roof filled with heavy movable glass. Some people are like "why the hell didn't they put a moon roof in standard for over $50K! I told BMW people perhaps the M235i would have more acceptable headroom for my 6'3" body if they chose a moon-roof delete option car, but they don't order them that way. One salesman said it would never sell. With the moon-roof, I don't think it is a car for people 6'1" and over, especially if you plan on tracking with a helmet on.
  • Options
    no moonroof on the TT? Hmmm. might have to go with a convertible. Or a A3 or A4!

• Options
    stever said:

Since I moved out to the dirt I need an off-road wheel. Going to do a go-fund me site to scrap up the $850 for one and then try it get on with Ringling Bros since there's a void there with the elephants put out to pasture. :)

Let's see...orthopedic surgeons, Las Cruces....flip, flip......hmmm...might have to truck you to El Paso, Steve.....
  • Options
    Two big things in the Audi online brochure for the TTS helped to sell the vehicle to me, and that I really liked:

1) http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/viewer/brochures/16/en_US.audi.Brochures.2016.tt/ultra.html?frame=true#page_lastPage

The above is the reason for why it drives and feels so dang light and balanced. A ton of aluminum where it is needed most, at all of the front, back, and side edges (all sheet metal is aluminum). I'm not sure Audi has made an AWD car this light in a long, long time (curb weight 3,230 lb. w/ DSG and quattro AWD). I imagine the curb weight includes the spare tire and tools, so easily dropped to under 3,200 pounds.

2) http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/viewer/brochures/16/en_US.audi.Brochures.2016.tt/tt_handling_and_engine_management.html?frame=true#page_lastPage

Controllable selectable rear-power bias in Dynamic mode, something I haven't seen before in a Haldex AWD system (including for the S3). Golf R in Race mode might do the same thing, but nothing I've read or seen gives me that impression. I think Audi semi-secretly makes a lot of improvements over their VW product that you can only find out about with in-depth driving experience.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Audi does make some sharp cars. Rear view camera with cross traffic alert and blind spot alert are two useful features that are great to have. I don't know if my wife's MKX reacts to faster moving traffic with the blind spot alert. Got about an 800 mile freeway trip next weekend, will have to pay attention.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    I know mine does. It said so in the documentation!

I have noticed it though, when a car was flying up from the side, it started flashing well before it was in the mirror.

• Options
    eriknorcaleriknorcal Member Posts: 27
    Okay guys.. Some advice

the BMW 540 I recently bought has a pretty serious oil leak. Looks like timing cover, not sure if upper(cheap to fix) or lower(big bucks).

on the low end I could spend $500ish, high end over $2000 to fix it. That's including parts. Worth keeping it and fixing it? Or just cut my losses and be done, and get a Lexus like I should of in the first place? 
    29 cars and counting.. Current: '00 BMW 540i/6 sport
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Okay guys.. Some advice

the BMW 540 I recently bought has a pretty serious oil leak. Looks like timing cover, not sure if upper(cheap to fix) or lower(big bucks).

on the low end I could spend $500ish, high end over $2000 to fix it. That's including parts. Worth keeping it and fixing it? Or just cut my losses and be done, and get a Lexus like I should of in the first place? 
    I don't have any advice regarding the repairs. But I can tell you that cutting it loose probably makes sense from what you've said. I would replace it with something you actually want - otherwise you'll just be tempted to flip it again.

Of course, maybe that's a reason to get something you don't want, so you have an excuse to flip it!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    I think you have the definition of a money pit at this point. Entirely possible you will keep dumping money in that you will never see the return of.

sometimes, cutting and running at whatever $ return is the best idea. Many people have got suckered in to the idea that since they just put money in, they need to get X months of use to "get their money's worth". Only to get hit with another major bill shortly afterwards.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I like the Audi nav integrated into the gauges. Something I would like on a future modern car would be HUD - still uncommon on MBs.
  • Options
    Did a thought experiment regarding my recent ~2,500 mile road trip: What if I had a Tesla? Condensed version: There are some pretty big holes in the Supercharger network. Like, pretty much all of Iowa, all of Nebraska and North Dakota... I would have had to have switched hotel choices in some cities to accommodate non-Supercharger charging, and, in the more rural parts, relied upon a non-Tesla dealer who supposedly makes their charge ports available to everyone, as well as someone with a home charger who does the same. On I-64 between St. Louis and Louisville, I would have had to have stopped at an RV park to top off.

A lot of the entries on the charging maps are something like "here is a Days Inn with an outdoor 120V outlet," which isn't a very useful charger. I'm sure the Tesla is an amazing vehicle, but I don't think the infrastructure is quite there yet.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @andres3 - really like that TT. Reminds me a bit of my wife's '08 TT coupe that was silver with red interior - the one she had for about 3 months.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    tifighter said:

Probably feels good to get out of that S4. Congrats!

The S4 was a great high speed highway cruiser, the the TTS reminds me just how heavy the S4 really was every time I drive it. When you are used to something, you don't really notice it. If you have multiple cars in the fleet, you might notice something like that better, but I had just gotten used to it. Most cars are overweight these days.

U-turns, U-turns will forever enter my test driving criteria as you can really feel it there.

Not having to go to the body shop to deal with more uncertainties to repair previously less than stellar work, or to repair the back bumper was a weight off my shoulders. Not having to pay for new front brake pads again is always nice, but most importantly, I got a good number for it; which makes it easier to part with.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

Okay guys.. Some advice

It looks like you really want a rolling Barcalounger, so sell the 5er and get the Lexus.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    An oil dye test should be able to determine what type of leak you have.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

Okay guys.. Some advice

It looks like you really want a rolling Barcalounger, so sell the 5er and get the Lexus.
    Different strokes for different folks. A barcalounger as opposed to a buckboard, I'll take the barcolounger. Many people just want a good, reliable, safe form of transportation and have little interest in money pits or race cars.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    You don't have to be a Barcalounger fan to love Lexus, you might also be a fan of the movie "Alien" or have a thing for the 61 Plymouth :)
  • Options

Okay guys.. Some advice

I don't have any advice regarding the repairs. But I can tell you that cutting it loose probably makes sense from what you've said. I would replace it with something you actually want - otherwise you'll just be tempted to flip it again.

Of course, maybe that's a reason to get something you don't want, so you have an excuse to flip it!
    stickguy said:

I think you have the definition of a money pit at this point. Entirely possible you will keep dumping money in that you will never see the return of.

sometimes, cutting and running at whatever $ return is the best idea. Many people have got suckered in to the idea that since they just put money in, they need to get X months of use to "get their money's worth". Only to get hit with another major bill shortly afterwards.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I bite the bullet and pay $2k, only to have say; the ABS module go out in another month. I read pretty heavy on these cars, and knew somewhat of what I was getting into. However I looked this car over and really couldn't find anything alarming when I initially looked at it.I saw some oil resisdue but didn't notice the leak. The owner had just did VC gaskets so I figured it was from the previous leak. Wrong.

It's for sale, hopefully I can at least get what I paid. We'll see. It's lovely to drive but the moneypit factor is unsettling me more and more.
  • Options

Okay guys.. Some advice

Yeah.. The GS400/430 is actually pretty sporty for what it is. Same power as the 540, but lacking a manual trans. Not to mention the suspension leaves something to be desired. But, not anything s good set of coilovers can't solve.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited May 2016

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I bite the bullet and pay $2k, only to have say; the ABS module go out in another month. I read pretty heavy on these cars, and knew somewhat of what I was getting into. However I looked this car over and really couldn't find anything alarming when I initially looked at it.I saw some oil resisdue but didn't notice the leak. The owner had just did VC gaskets so I figured it was from the previous leak. Wrong.

It's for sale, hopefully I can at least get what I paid. We'll see. It's lovely to drive but the moneypit factor is unsettling me more and more.

You violated two of my most important rules for buying older BMWs out-of warranty:

1. ALWAYS get a PPI from a tech who knows BMWs
    2. NEVER buy a V8 powered BMW unless you are willing to tackle at least 50% of the repair work yourself

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    andres3 said:

corvette said:

Everyone has preferences though. I'm in the camp of liking the Golf R and TT/TTS MORE because they don't have holes in the roof filled with heavy movable glass. Some people are like "why the hell didn't they put a moon roof in standard for over $50K! I told BMW people perhaps the M235i would have more acceptable headroom for my 6'3" body if they chose a moon-roof delete option car, but they don't order them that way. One salesman said it would never sell. With the moon-roof, I don't think it is a car for people 6'1" and over, especially if you plan on tracking with a helmet on.
    One of my pet peeves. I almost bought a Honda Accord several years back, main reason I didn't was that I could not get the V6 without a sunroof. Which detracts from headroom, and I need every inch and every fraction of an inch that I can get.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Well, the sale of the Cadillac is on hold for now. This morning, on the way to work, someone decided to make a left turn from the middle lane. And me, inconsiderate oaf that I am, was square in his way.

The guy was nice enough, even said “This one is on me.” And I got a name and phone number for a pedestrian witness, so shouldn’t be a problem getting this covered as “not at fault”.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I think 2007 was the last year of the non-sunroof Accord V6. In 2006-07, I think they offered an SE model with the V6 and alloys, but I think it was otherwise equipped like an LX (no sunroof). 
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Need some VW guru advice. I know maintenance repair costs on BMWs, Acuras, Caddy....but no VWs, specifically GTIs. Brakes? Rotors? Fluids? Maintenance schedules? Any gotchas?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Need some VW guru advice. I know maintenance repair costs on BMWs, Acuras, Caddy....but no VWs, specifically GTIs. Brakes? Rotors? Fluids? Maintenance schedules? Any gotchas?
    What year?

Used or new? This apply to the mk6 GTI. 10-14

Brakes are cheap. No more than any other euro or Japanese car I'd say. Shop around of course, you don't have to go OEM. Synthetic oil changes every 10k are usually $50, but if you're going to tune it go 5k miles. Spark plugs last 60k(iirc) and are $10 a piece, easy to change. Coils go out often, you're best bet is to get the red top Audi coils. $20 a piece on average and will hold up well. A must if you're going to tune it. DSG(auto with paddles) service runs $2-400 depending on the dealer or shop. 

Biggest downfall(again depending on year) is the carbon buildup in the intake manifold. It usually needs to be cleaned every 80-100k miles and costs around $4-500 again depending on the dealer. You'll get a misfire code before you actually feel a difference usually. Mine was done when my intake manifold was replaced under extended warranty(120k mile coverage on all GTIs 10-14) Water pumps on the 10-14 is an issue but usually is caught under warranty from what I've read. Mine was done at 30k iirc, by the first owner. 

They're pretty worry-free tho. Much less than a BMW. With an VAG product they're subject to the occasional electrical demon, but any German car can be that way. The mk6 is a massive improvement over the early GTIs. Interior quality, build quality, handling, performance etc.

Out of all my cars, it's hands down the best I've had and massively regret getting rid of mine. Any more questions let me know or jump on golfmk6 or vwvortex, there's a great VW community out there! Cheers
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
     The only thing I'm aware of is that the DSG gear oil needs to be changed at around 40,000 miles 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
     But if it's a stick shift, obviously that doesn't apply 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Nothing crazy, @graphicguy , but I believe the performance pack cars may have slightly larger brakes that may cost more. DSG is really the only biggie if you're getting vehicle that has it. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    I think your son will be better off finding an independent VW mechanic for brake fluid drain & fills, the DSG service, coil packs...I'd price the dealer out for oil changes.  Unless they are WAY overpriced, I'd stick with them for oil changes while still under warranty. 

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    @andres3 - that's a really sharp car!  Definitely something you won't see on every corner & will make your commute quite entertaining.  Enjoy!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    at least the first service is still covered. after that, not too expensive to get done at the dealer, and IMO a good idea while under warranty.

and these smart people are getting a stick shift, so no overpriced DSG service.

brakes you can get anywhere. and plenty of non-VW parts options.

• Options
    Personally when I get another GTI I'll be getting a DSG. I'm over driving a manual TBH. Plus if you want to mod, it holds up to 450bhp with no modifications.. Not to mention flappy paddles are fun, and it shifts lightning fast! 

One other thing- if you're going with a new generatikn(mk7) they have been having problems with turbos grenading. There have been 4 revisions now, which is disheartening as people have gone through multiple turbos in a short amount of time.